Vital MX Forum QNA: Tyla Rattray

GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
2/16/2016 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:41pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is Tyla Rattray. Tyla is one of those guys who has pretty much done it all. The tough South African raced in Europe for eight years, and was the winner of the FIM MX2 GP Title in 2008. Moving to the U.S., he spent a handful of years racing under the Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki tent, was twice the runner-up in the 250 class, along with winning six 250 races. He also upped his Supercross game, and ran the red plate as the series points leader. There was also a brief return to Europe with Husky, and also a year spent racing with Ryan Villopoto on the KRT team in the GPs. He hung up his boots after the '15 season, and is now helping train the Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/KTM riders.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.
|
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/16/2016 6:10pm
Tyla, how did you feel at the end of Glen Helen's second moto last year? With all the team, family, and friends around did the moment of retirement feel sweet, calming, or did it even quite sink in?

Also, if you could do over your switch to the USA in any way, would you? Such as how you approached it; testing, training program, mindset, etc?

Thanks for your time.
Flatliner
2/16/2016 6:11pm
Not a question per say, but I've always been a fan. We chatted for a minute on the hill at Millville when you were going to make your debut there, but got hurt. I thought it was kinda funny cause here's this star rider sitting with the hill people and and not many people even said hello.
RCB33
Fantasy
90th
2/16/2016 6:40pm
Personally,what was the hardest part of adapting to supercross? As always,thanks for doing this for us fans. We truly appreciate it.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
2/16/2016 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 7:15pm
Hi Tyla, thanks for doing this.

In your training with Dean Wilson, do you ever kid with him for the pass you made in Freestone Texas when he thought the race was over? He may have had heat exhaustion.

The Shop

ehr400
2/16/2016 7:48pm
Hello Tyla huge fan, I have seen you race/ ride from red bud to lommel practice sessions. Always respected your riding and one of the few who had beat Cairoli straight up. My question is I bought a 411 jersey you autographed a few years ago for a Mxsports auction for a benefit. I was wondering if you would mind resigning it some day, your autograph is barely visible anymore. Hope retirement is doing you well.
mxjon454
2/16/2016 8:11pm
Hey Tyla,

Congrats on a amazing career across the globe, youre a true legend and someone that a lot of kids look up to. How hard was it coming from living in europe to moving to the us? And how different was your factory ktm in 08 compared to your pc 250 in 09? Which bike would you say was better?

Thanks for taking the time for us fans and again congrats on a amazing career.

Jon
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/16/2016 8:40pm
With having raced the gp's and the ama series. what was your favorite track that you raced on?
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:43am
ML512 wrote:
Tyla, how did you feel at the end of Glen Helen's second moto last year? With all the team, family, and friends around did the moment...
Tyla, how did you feel at the end of Glen Helen's second moto last year? With all the team, family, and friends around did the moment of retirement feel sweet, calming, or did it even quite sink in?

Also, if you could do over your switch to the USA in any way, would you? Such as how you approached it; testing, training program, mindset, etc?

Thanks for your time.
Hi ml512, I was happy to be retiring. I have had 16 seasons as a pro MX rider, and I knew it was time to retire. My left hip was killing me the last 2 years, as I have no more cartilage. Wear and tear from over the years. No I really enjoyed my time racing for PC over here in USA. Had a lot of success with them and I was happy with what I accomplished here in the USA.
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:42am
RCB33 wrote:
Personally,what was the hardest part of adapting to supercross? As always,thanks for doing this for us fans. We truly appreciate it.
Hardest part for me in the beginning were the whoops. I started SX pretty late in my career (23), and had never ridden a proper SX race in my life up until I came to the USA. I made some big steps during the off season which I was happy about.
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:41am
Ramrod wrote:
Hi Tyla, thanks for doing this. In your training with Dean Wilson, do you ever kid with him for the pass you made in Freestone Texas...
Hi Tyla, thanks for doing this.

In your training with Dean Wilson, do you ever kid with him for the pass you made in Freestone Texas when he thought the race was over? He may have had heat exhaustion.
Hahaha, yes, I always thank him for being so generous and handing me a win like that. I'll take it! LOL
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:41am
ehr400 wrote:
Hello Tyla huge fan, I have seen you race/ ride from red bud to lommel practice sessions. Always respected your riding and one of the few...
Hello Tyla huge fan, I have seen you race/ ride from red bud to lommel practice sessions. Always respected your riding and one of the few who had beat Cairoli straight up. My question is I bought a 411 jersey you autographed a few years ago for a Mxsports auction for a benefit. I was wondering if you would mind resigning it some day, your autograph is barely visible anymore. Hope retirement is doing you well.
Yes, no prob. Bring it to Red Bud or a SX, and I'll re-sign. Not a problem.
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:40am
mxjon454 wrote:
Hey Tyla, Congrats on a amazing career across the globe, youre a true legend and someone that a lot of kids look up to. How hard...
Hey Tyla,

Congrats on a amazing career across the globe, youre a true legend and someone that a lot of kids look up to. How hard was it coming from living in europe to moving to the us? And how different was your factory ktm in 08 compared to your pc 250 in 09? Which bike would you say was better?

Thanks for taking the time for us fans and again congrats on a amazing career.

Jon
Man, it was a big difference coming from Europe to USA. Just the culture, weather, tracks...everything is so different! I really like it here in the USA! My bike in 2008 when I raced for KTM was a rocket, and my bike from PC was a rocket, too. Obviously I tell everyone, you can not compare Europe racing and USA outdoor racing. It is so different. Yes, it's still an MX bike, but the setup of both bikes are completely different. US stuff won't work in Europe, and Euro stuff won't work here. It's just so different, the biggest thing are the tracks are so different too here in the US.
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:25am
With having raced the gp's and the ama series. what was your favorite track that you raced on?
Best tracks for me that I have raced on have been Redbud, Millville, and Southwick; the dirt at those tracks is amazing.
bents
Fantasy
694th
2/16/2016 8:57pm
First, congrats on an amazing career. There was no doubt that you raced every moto like it was your last. It was a pleasure to watch you over the years. My question is this-what is the biggest take away from your years training with Aldon Baker? And how has that influenced your approach to your new career in training riders now?
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 9:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:24am
bents wrote:
First, congrats on an amazing career. There was no doubt that you raced every moto like it was your last. It was a pleasure to watch...
First, congrats on an amazing career. There was no doubt that you raced every moto like it was your last. It was a pleasure to watch you over the years. My question is this-what is the biggest take away from your years training with Aldon Baker? And how has that influenced your approach to your new career in training riders now?
Hi Bents, I have trained with a few trainers in my career. They all had good points in their training. I was with Aldon the longest in my professional career, and the biggest thing I learned on his program is how well it was structured, which is a huge key to being successful! There are no shortcuts in this sport. I have always wanted to help other riders when I retired from racing, and it's been going great! The group of guys I have now really push each other and it's fun to be working with such a great motivated group of guys.
bents
Fantasy
694th
2/16/2016 9:23pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 9:23pm
As a follow up-what do you see as the biggest challenge in training the stable of riders you have now, if you had to pick one? Like maybe they want their cell phone with them while they are training!! Just spitballing here, but what would you say is the biggest challenge? Do they understand the level of work required, that there are no shortcuts? Or is that part of your job-to make them understand how hard they really have to work?
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:23am
bents wrote:
As a follow up-what do you see as the biggest challenge in training the stable of riders you have now, if you had to pick one...
As a follow up-what do you see as the biggest challenge in training the stable of riders you have now, if you had to pick one? Like maybe they want their cell phone with them while they are training!! Just spitballing here, but what would you say is the biggest challenge? Do they understand the level of work required, that there are no shortcuts? Or is that part of your job-to make them understand how hard they really have to work?
Like I said they are all very committed and they know what it takes to win as they have won races before, and even championships. They all still so young and I want them to also enjoy life. But they all know when it's time to be serious and when it's time to have fun. But they all work very hard, which makes me proud!
bents
Fantasy
694th
2/16/2016 9:31pm
Well thanks a bunch for taking the time Tyla and best of luck with everything. Cheers.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/16/2016 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 9:34pm
I have a two-part follow-up... What was the hardest/most challenging season in your career and what made it stand out from the others? Also, which season was the most rewarding or memorable?

Thanks for answering my stupid rowing question on Saturday, by the way.
Tyla Rattray
2/16/2016 9:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 9:22am
ML512 wrote:
I have a two-part follow-up... What was the hardest/most challenging season in your career and what made it stand out from the others? Also, which season...
I have a two-part follow-up... What was the hardest/most challenging season in your career and what made it stand out from the others? Also, which season was the most rewarding or memorable?

Thanks for answering my stupid rowing question on Saturday, by the way.
Definitely my championship in 2008 was my most memorable one. Most challenging one was 2011 trying to stay off the ground in SX to get to MX healthy. haha
Suzuki88
2/16/2016 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2016 9:51pm
Hi Tyla -how do you think your Kiwi Mate BT101 will do in Europe this year given his comeback after a few years out ? Thanks in advance for answering Craig
HenryA
2/16/2016 11:01pm
Hey Tyla!
How cool was it by KTM to make a special edition 125SX with your name on it?
Do you own a 125sx Rattray edition yourself?

crc245
2/16/2016 11:45pm
Mr. Rattray,

A few questions for you:

Considering your experience racing in both Europe and the US - Is the training and preparation required for each series similar or are there unique tactics for each? IE more cardio for the longer GP's, sprint speed in the US, different training tapering for the longer/shorter seasons, etcetera?

Is there one race, in particular, that's most memorable for you, regardless of finishing position, where everything just 'clicked'?

For the average weekend warrior - What's the single most important training to perform midweek to stay fresh for weekend moto?

Thank You for your time and insight, and best of luck in your retirement endeavours!
51xc
2/17/2016 5:45am
hi tyla, thanks for participating in this q&a, things like this makes our sport so great!

my question, now with being a trainer, what do you think will be needed to prepare your athletes for the next years to come as the sport seems to get faster, more aggressive and technical season by season? do you see areas of training that are currently neglected and may need to be more addressed?

thanks.
Question
2/17/2016 6:30am

Sorry I am not coming with a question, I just wanted to thank Mr. Rattray for what he has done in his career and for being such a tough competitor. Very impressive and very inspiring for a lot of riders globally.
Canerat
2/17/2016 9:07am
Ek se.... Rattray, congrats on a great career china and you have made us South Africans proud.

Are we ever going to see you come enter a National here for the hell of it....ek vra maar net???
tmx860
2/17/2016 11:46am
Best tracks for me that I have raced on have been Redbud, Millville, and Southwick; the dirt at those tracks is amazing.
Southwick's coming back this year. Will you make a one-off return to try and repeat your 2012 moto win?
Tyla Rattray
2/17/2016 12:07pm
HenryA wrote:
Hey Tyla! How cool was it by KTM to make a special edition 125SX with your name on it? Do you own a 125sx Rattray edition...
Hey Tyla!
How cool was it by KTM to make a special edition 125SX with your name on it?
Do you own a 125sx Rattray edition yourself?

yes i actually got given my 125 from 2004. i was the last rider to win a grand prix on a 125 2 stroke so they gave it to me as a present which was awesome!
Tyla Rattray
2/17/2016 12:12pm
51xc wrote:
hi tyla, thanks for participating in this q&a, things like this makes our sport so great! my question, now with being a trainer, what do you...
hi tyla, thanks for participating in this q&a, things like this makes our sport so great!

my question, now with being a trainer, what do you think will be needed to prepare your athletes for the next years to come as the sport seems to get faster, more aggressive and technical season by season? do you see areas of training that are currently neglected and may need to be more addressed?

thanks.
yes the dirt bikes are getting faster each year, suspension is getting better every year so these guys are going incredibly fast now a days. its important they stay sharp, fit and alert all the time. obviously there profession is mx and sx so thats our priority as training. every other kind of training (cycling,running,swimming,gym,rowing) gets worked around the riding.
Tyla Rattray
2/17/2016 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 5:27pm
Canerat wrote:
Ek se.... Rattray, congrats on a great career china and you have made us South Africans proud. Are we ever going to see you come enter...
Ek se.... Rattray, congrats on a great career china and you have made us South Africans proud.

Are we ever going to see you come enter a National here for the hell of it....ek vra maar net???
Haha, maybe in a few years. I'll hit the Vets and Masters class. haha

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Tyla Rattray

The Latest