Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
4/17/2017 11:11am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2017 4:42pm

Whether you know him from his racing, his bike development role, or as the Senior Test Editor of Dirt Rider Magazine, Kris Keefer is definitely a character and lover of all things two-wheeled. He agreed to check in this week for a Vital MX Forum QNA, so bring your best questions. He'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.

If you want to see previous Vital MX Forum QNAs, click the Forum QNA tag below the subject line. (Check below to see what it looks like.)

|
4/17/2017 12:17pm
Kris Did you ever take off Dungeys graphics off your KTM yet?
GD2
Fantasy
887th
4/17/2017 12:22pm
Is it considered treason to wear Fox boots with Alpinestars gear and a Thor helmet?
kiwifan
4/17/2017 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 12:26pm
Hi Kris, if you had one wish for the MX/SX industry, what would it be?

Edit: oh and why? Smile

The Shop

Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 12:42pm
Yes, they are off! Sad My wife tore them off and the ol three digit number is back on.
MX Guy
Fantasy
864th
4/17/2017 12:44pm
Who do u have as 2017 SX champ?
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 12:45pm
GD2 wrote:
Is it considered treason to wear Fox boots with Alpinestars gear and a Thor helmet?
It's not treason, but I would understand why you would do such a thing! The FOX boots are comfortable right? I think it's great as long as you are riding. BUT, if you do care about matching however, then you need some A-stars (which are great) to match the gear. Go with a Shoei, Arai, 6D, or Bell to match and get that Best Dressed or Lit Kit award. Cheers!
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 12:50pm
kiwifan wrote:
Hi Kris, if you had one wish for the MX/SX industry, what would it be?

Edit: oh and why? Smile
That is a tough wish? I mean I would love for everyone that rides to never get injured or hurt if we are living in that kind of fantasy world. But if we are talking about a more realistic wish/goal then I would say to have the professional moto racers get paid more money. The privateer guy getting 15th-20th should be making more money plain and simple.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 12:51pm
MX Guy wrote:
Who do u have as 2017 SX champ?
I am going with Tomac. He has a big head of steam and I think is willing to hang it out more than Dungey is right now for that title.
Flatliner
4/17/2017 1:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 2:19pm
What's it like dealing with the manufacturers during a bike test, generally speaking?

Also, do you see Suzuki releasing new 125 and 250 two strokes, as rumours suggest?
kaptkaos
4/17/2017 1:10pm
Kris, what was the name of that Purple Toy you recommended on your last Keefer After Dark?

Also, who would win Best Dressed in the early 80s?

It has to be one of the Honda guys....

Bailey, Omara, Hannah?

Why cant we go back to the good ole days of gear matching the bike?
sdjeff
4/17/2017 1:12pm
Do you prefer Star Cross 5s or MX3S? Thanks for all the laughs on Pulp.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
48th
4/17/2017 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 1:26pm
Yes, they are off! Sad My wife tore them off and the ol three digit number is back on.
Did you also stop calling her Lindsey and pretending to have a Minnesota accent, or is that still going on?Laughing
TriRacer27
Fantasy
48th
4/17/2017 1:25pm
Kris,

Where do you see motocross bikes predominantly headed in the next 15 years? Do you see electric bikes become the norm just like 4-strokes did in the last decade? Do you see it still being dominated by 4-strokes as they continue to evolve? Do you see 2-strokes making a big comeback with fuel injection?

Loaded question, I know, but thought it might be a fun one to think about.

Keep up the awesome work man!
4/17/2017 1:37pm
First off Kris I would like to say thank you
For helping out the indrustry on both spectrums of 'Factories ' and , consumers
With your talent and literature.
My question is what major part of a manufacturer bike would you change
For reliability or better material every time
If you had to?

Again thank you for all you have been doing and excepting our questions.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 2:33pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Kris, what was the name of that Purple Toy you recommended on your last Keefer After Dark? Also, who would win Best Dressed in the early...
Kris, what was the name of that Purple Toy you recommended on your last Keefer After Dark?

Bailey, Omara, Hannah?

You will have to go back and re-listen if you want that secret. I don't think Vital wants to go FULL After Dark. We will keep the questions to a "R" rating.

Best Dressed in the 80s would for sure be RJ or Lechien! I mean Ronnie had sweet gear set ups a lot!

Look for a lot of gear companies to go back to solid colors in 2018. We are in for some less busy patterns and very clean, traditional colorways!
Superdave19
4/17/2017 2:40pm
Ok Keefer- You've ridden with some very talented humans in your day. In the last year or so, who's the oldest guy you've ridden with that you just stood back and said... Sh*tt! he still hauls the mail!
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 2:43pm
sdjeff wrote:
Do you prefer Star Cross 5s or MX3S? Thanks for all the laughs on Pulp.
I really like both honestly. I use Dunlop MX3S tires more though because most manufacturers develop their machines with that tire, so in order to test certain parts on a bike I use what comes on the bike in production. Both tires like 13.5 psi in them (for moto) if you want to know.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 2:43pm
kaptkaos wrote:
Kris, what was the name of that Purple Toy you recommended on your last Keefer After Dark? Also, who would win Best Dressed in the early...

Bailey, Omara, Hannah?

Good Q... Manufacturers are usually open minded to feedback from a magazine test rider. As long as the tester is open minded himself and has good feedback (good or bad), it is usually taken well. Most manufacturers will try to make you as comfortable as possible and will want you to leave happy versus frustrated or puzzled. As long as the tester relays the same information that he or she gives the manufacturer in person and writes the same in print or online, it is usually perceived well. I know for a fact that manufacturers hate when a tester says they "love the bike" to them in person and writes something totally different online or in print. This doesn't settle well with them. In all of my years as a test guy, it is better to hit them with the truth up front so there is no surprises later. Not every bike is great and not every bike is right for every rider. That is why we as riders have a lot to choose from.

I would see Suzuki doing a two stroke soon is my guess! Smile
Tenacious P
4/17/2017 2:50pm
Do you believe that one would become a better motocross rider by:

A. Buying a new bike every 1-2 years, all different brands, trying everything that everyone has to offer, similarities and differences between manufacturers.

-OR-

B. Riding the same bike for 5 or more years, making marginal gains over time and truly adapting the machine to your riding style and body over a long period of time.
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 2:51pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
Kris, Where do you see motocross bikes predominantly headed in the next 15 years? Do you see electric bikes become the norm just like 4-strokes did...
Kris,

Where do you see motocross bikes predominantly headed in the next 15 years? Do you see electric bikes become the norm just like 4-strokes did in the last decade? Do you see it still being dominated by 4-strokes as they continue to evolve? Do you see 2-strokes making a big comeback with fuel injection?

Loaded question, I know, but thought it might be a fun one to think about.

Keep up the awesome work man!
TriRacer,

I still see four-stroke technology leading the way in our sport the next 5-10 years. Electric technology although advancing is still not quite there yet for Supercross and Motocross. However maybe in 15 years this could be the way to go.

I also do see two-strokes making a comeback and more manufacturers getting involved in the re-birth of two-strokes. It's hard to deny when KTM is selling a crap ton of bikes and Yamaha is still making an older platformed version of there 2006 machines. Kids coming from 85's need to learn how to ride a bigger bike and the 125 is a perfect fit. I feel the jump from 85 to 250F is too much for these kids. Manufacturers are taking notice and will adapt. Watch!
HenryA
4/17/2017 2:57pm
If you had to choose, CRF450 2012 or 2013?
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 3:03pm
First off Kris I would like to say thank you For helping out the indrustry on both spectrums of 'Factories ' and , consumers With your...
First off Kris I would like to say thank you
For helping out the indrustry on both spectrums of 'Factories ' and , consumers
With your talent and literature.
My question is what major part of a manufacturer bike would you change
For reliability or better material every time
If you had to?

Again thank you for all you have been doing and excepting our questions.
Keep_Riding78,

Thanks, I really try hard to help consumers find the best buy or give them advice on things that i have tried myself. My family was middle class and my dad although was a great car mechanic didn't know much about motocross machinery or parts. He shopped blindly and sometimes we got hosed. It was just trial and error. I (and Dirt Rider) am trying to make it so all of you at least have a direction to go.

You stumped me on your question, that is very good. If I had to choose I think I would change a couple things. One is how fast some of these 450's are down low (bottom-end). Although very fun and helpful in deep sand controllability is what I would strive for on such a big machine. Connectivity to the rear wheel is important and having an insane engine character down low doesn't mean it is the best bike on the track. Less experienced riders tend to lean towards the "fun factor" or throttle response feeling without knowing that same thing will get them in trouble down the road.

The other thing is the development of oversize bars on stock machines. Yes, they are more durable and hold up well in a crash, but also give increased rigidity to a machine. I am doing some research right now and going back to a 7/8 bar on some 1 1/8 equipped bikes and it helps the front end feeling. Besides Honda most manufacturers are using 1 1/8 bars. Most of us are not Ryan Dungey's and need less flex. I think some companies should look into the 1 1/8 diameter but figure out a better flex character inside the bar. It's funny how small a change this is, but can make a good bit of difference out on the track.

Thanks for the question and sorry for the long winded answer.
gsxr6
4/17/2017 3:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 3:09pm
What's with the ahem odd dyno results some sources have on the newer yz450f.. seen one that said below 50, and less peak hp than the Suzuki. Is that accurate? Are they slower now than the 2014 model? One graph I saw I swear it looked as if someone was rolling the throttle off lol
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 3:06pm
Ok Keefer- You've ridden with some very talented humans in your day. In the last year or so, who's the oldest guy you've ridden with that...
Ok Keefer- You've ridden with some very talented humans in your day. In the last year or so, who's the oldest guy you've ridden with that you just stood back and said... Sh*tt! he still hauls the mail!
SuperDave,

Recently it was Mike Brown. He still hauls ass and has a young mans style/technique. I like this!

Another guy that hauls butt, but maybe is starting to get old man style is my good friend Doug Dubach. Doug still blows me away at how fast he can go in his 50's! He butt whips a little too much but can still throw the lap times down! Smile
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 3:09pm
Do you believe that one would become a better motocross rider by: A. Buying a new bike every 1-2 years, all different brands, trying everything that...
Do you believe that one would become a better motocross rider by:

A. Buying a new bike every 1-2 years, all different brands, trying everything that everyone has to offer, similarities and differences between manufacturers.

-OR-

B. Riding the same bike for 5 or more years, making marginal gains over time and truly adapting the machine to your riding style and body over a long period of time.
Tenacious P,

B without a doubt.

Keep your bike in good condition and ride the crap out of it. I switch bike's weekly and can adapt fairly well, but there is nothing like staying on the same bike for a long time. Ask Tomac this. He had other offers to go to another color for more money, but stayed with green because he has his bike down and knows it!

Practice. Practice. Practice. There is no replacement. Just ride laps!

Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 3:10pm
HenryA wrote:
If you had to choose, CRF450 2012 or 2013?
2012! The 13 was not that good IMO. My 2012 was much better. Better flex and easier to ride! Plus it had spring forks!! Boom!
gsxr6
4/17/2017 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2017 3:27pm
Think this was the one I was referring to own a 14 yzf450 and a 17 crf450, and this is not how they feel. Also, I outweigh the other guy by 50 lbs and he is a better rider than me, but the 14 yzf walks my 17 crf with me on the yzf in a straight dragrace. The yzf has almost 70 hours now, the crf around 10. Lol I prefer the stock, supposedly lean map over the " Travis Preston map" mxa had printed that year. The non stock map was excellent for wheelies haha almost too hooked up though.
Poor kawi made 4 less HP than the 350. Ouch
Kris Keefer
4/17/2017 3:14pm
gsxr6 wrote:
What's with the ahem odd dyno results some sources have on the newer yz450f.. seen one that said below 50, and less peak hp than the...
What's with the ahem odd dyno results some sources have on the newer yz450f.. seen one that said below 50, and less peak hp than the Suzuki. Is that accurate? Are they slower now than the 2014 model? One graph I saw I swear it looked as if someone was rolling the throttle off lol
I don't know that the Yamaha was slow, but I know some Yamaha's were a little lean out of the crate. I have ridden a couple brand new 450's that had some popping (lean condition), but was easily fixed with the Powertuner. As with all mass produced products, machines, sometimes a quality control issue arrises. It's inevitable. Yamaha's have always been one of the most durable bikes in my garage, but sometimes crap happens, right? Maybe when some people dyno'd them it was lean.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2497th
4/17/2017 3:19pm
Hey Keefer, really like your work. Thanks for sharing as much as you do when it comes to your opinions and experience in moto, relationships and life in general.

Two Qs.

1. Keith Code's "A twist of the wrist" is considered the definitive primer on motorcycle road racing. There doesn't really exist a moto equivalent. Some of your technique breakdowns remind me of Code's. Have you considered writing a book on technique?

2. What area do you think most B and C riders lack? Can you be specific (example: if it's in turns, is it entry, exit, body position, throttle and brake use, etc.)

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Kris Keefer

The Latest