Vital MX Forum QNA: James Coy

Related:
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:40pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is James Coy. James is the Orange Brigade Pro Am Race Team Manager. That's where KTM brings up their top amateur talent, and the current roster includes Dakota Alix, Daniel Baker, and Alex Frye. In the past James been at various other spots, including a stint a wrench for the Suzuki Factory Team; and at Pro Circuit, working on amateur support.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/18/2015 11:03am Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 11:04am
I'll drop hvaughn88's question from the announcement thread in here to get things started. "If you could change one thing about amateur racing, what would it be?"
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/18/2015 11:05am
Also, can you explain how the Orange Bridgade Pro Am team works? What's the criteria for making it, what kind of equipment are the guys on, etc.
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
8/18/2015 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 12:22pm
dear james,

how many total riders are on the team?......youngest?
did you lock down the pro deal with the 10 year old jett yet?
whats your favorite food?
do you have any other hobbies?music?
thanks for your time.

Wrench
8/18/2015 12:15pm
Hey James,
I have a question about the education of these future pros. I think it's really great that the top prospects are getting a lot more attention now. Iv'e heard that most are taught public speaking skills and there's a big emphasis on professionalism/ social behavior (all great). My question is this; Can further education be part of this. I think it would be great if recruiting teams include some sort of education (college, trade school...anything). I feel like not only would it give these guys a potential leg to stand on in the future, it'd probably make them more responsible and adjusted as a pro. Thoughts?

The Shop

Switch
8/18/2015 12:26pm
Without naming names obviously, do you have any good stories about a parent "losing their cool" at a race?

What is your overall best memory involved with racing?
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
8/18/2015 1:37pm
How do you feel about the talent depth in the sport today,it seems the top amatuers are having a hard time getting results this year. Is it just growing pains or is the talent so deep right now that the skills of these riders isn't being shown when you look at the results sheet. Thanks for doing this,

Russell
hvaughn88
8/18/2015 2:11pm
GuyB wrote:
I'll drop hvaughn88's question from the announcement thread in here to get things started. "If you could change one thing about amateur racing, what would it...
I'll drop hvaughn88's question from the announcement thread in here to get things started. "If you could change one thing about amateur racing, what would it be?"
Thanks, GuyB.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
8/18/2015 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/18/2015 2:55pm
I have talked to some people and have came to the conclusion that the bad results, in Mitch's eyes, at Pro Circuit and the emergence of other strong 250 teams is a by product of the other teams investment into their amateur programs and Mitch's lack of a serious one. Yamaha, Honda and now KTM have stepped up big and Team Green hasn't in the same way.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I completely wrong?

And thanks for your time.
Starcrossed
8/18/2015 8:43pm
My question relates to Daniel Baker, who caught my attention by blistering the first 250 practice session of the season at Hangtown, besting the second fastest rider's lap time by 6 seconds. He also achieved his best moto finish of the season that day with a 13th. I happened to be standing trackside at Unadilla at the exact spot where Daniel crashed during qualifying. Unfortunately that mishap ended his day and he didn't attempt to qualify in Utah, nor was he on the injury report. I was wondering what his status is for Indiana and if he will be with the team for Supercross. Thanks for being this week's Forum QNA guest.
mxtech1
8/19/2015 7:49am
Do Orange Brigade riders in the 250 class have an option to ride a 250SX?

If they do not, why is that?
ML512
Fantasy
54th
8/19/2015 8:45am
James, how will Orange Brigade and Troy Lee Designs relationship work team-wise going forward, with TLD becoming the official Factory 250F team where KTM riders will hope to land.
James Coy
8/19/2015 12:40pm
GuyB wrote:
I'll drop hvaughn88's question from the announcement thread in here to get things started. "If you could change one thing about amateur racing, what would it...
If I could change one thing about amateur racing I would change the perception that every race means everything. Most of the parents and riders that I talk to seem to get caught up in that mind set. To me amateur racing is about progressively working towards turning Professional. The focus at that level should be on figuring out how to maintain a steady rate of improvement and what each rider needs to do to achieve that. The trick in it is to figure out what that is for each rider, not worrying about what other riders are doing and what they have.
-James
James Coy
8/19/2015 1:01pm
GuyB wrote:
Also, can you explain how the Orange Bridgade Pro Am team works? What's the criteria for making it, what kind of equipment are the guys on...
Also, can you explain how the Orange Bridgade Pro Am team works? What's the criteria for making it, what kind of equipment are the guys on, etc.
The KTM OB Team is a stepping stone for the KTM amateur racers that show the most potential. We look at the many different qualities of each rider and make a decision on who to bring up to this program. After the rider has been selected we basically give them all the support we can to help them grow into a top professional. That includes a structured team atmosphere where we supply them with top level equipment appropriate for the class they ride and most importantly an environment where they can learn from the experience of all the KTM staff up to and including Ian Harrison and Rodger Decoster.
-James
James Coy
8/19/2015 1:33pm
dsmith wrote:
dear james, how many total riders are on the team?......youngest? did you lock down the pro deal with the 10 year old jett yet? whats your...
dear james,

how many total riders are on the team?......youngest?
did you lock down the pro deal with the 10 year old jett yet?
whats your favorite food?
do you have any other hobbies?music?
thanks for your time.

At this time we have four riders total. That will be normal for us moving forward as well. The youngest rider on the team will always be a school boy rider coming off the Super mini. We are lucky to have a great 125 for them to start with to help them make the transition to the big bikes. KTM feels that is a very important step in their progression and after having both Michael Mosiman and Mitchell Falk use the 125 we can see that it clearly works better than just putting them on a 250F. We do not do Pro Deals until the riders are ready to ride the "A" class at the earliest. As for my hobbies I would chose to burn some laps on one of the new KTMs or drive my shifter Kart when I get the time.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 1:49pm
Wrench wrote:
Hey James, I have a question about the education of these future pros. I think it's really great that the top prospects are getting a lot...
Hey James,
I have a question about the education of these future pros. I think it's really great that the top prospects are getting a lot more attention now. Iv'e heard that most are taught public speaking skills and there's a big emphasis on professionalism/ social behavior (all great). My question is this; Can further education be part of this. I think it would be great if recruiting teams include some sort of education (college, trade school...anything). I feel like not only would it give these guys a potential leg to stand on in the future, it'd probably make them more responsible and adjusted as a pro. Thoughts?
Personally I agree with you. I think there needs to be a balance and I believe you can be a top amateur rider and stay in school. A great example of that would be Jordan Bailey. I also believe it would be hard to implement something of that nature because then you are basically pushing the riders and families into something they may not be comfortable with. Hopefully the parents understand that it would be a good idea to have a plan B.
It is true that our Orange Brigade riders are taught the skills for public speaking and being as professional as possible when they do the Orange Brigade Camps offered to our amateur support program. Those riders range from 50cc riders to Support riders in the "A" classes. Also from what I understand KTM is developing a program with Nathan Ramsey to support riders Nation wide that stay in school and offer them guidance and practice time as long as they keep their grades up. It will be interesting to learn more about that as it develops.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:02pm
Switch wrote:
Without naming names obviously, do you have any good stories about a parent "losing their cool" at a race? What is your overall best memory involved...
Without naming names obviously, do you have any good stories about a parent "losing their cool" at a race?

What is your overall best memory involved with racing?
Thankfully I have never seen anything really bad like that. Most of my experience has been at the Pro Level and by then the parents have taken a step back and let the team take over. I have seen amateur parents get a little loud and even pack up and leave only to come back a couple hours later. But nothing like stories I have heard.
I have some great memories of working in the machine shop with Rodger Decoster and working for Mitch Payton listening to his stories. However its funny but as I get older the best memories that I have seem to be the ones when was younger and racing as a teen ager. Sometimes a song will come on the radio that brings back memories of getting my bikes ready in our garage with my dad and brother. Always makes me wish I had a time machine. As for my more recent experiences I am sure I will appreciate them more when I am finished in the industry.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:09pm
The Bikes on this team are complete Factory supported bikes. However we build the bikes according to what class they are riding. For example, our school Boy Rider will have a bike that is in line with the other riders in that class. That bike will not get any works parts or titanium fasteners. Our Pro bikes are basically going to be complete works bikes. We offer the riders everything they will need to ride to their potential.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:18pm
RCB33 wrote:
How do you feel about the talent depth in the sport today,it seems the top amatuers are having a hard time getting results this year. Is...
How do you feel about the talent depth in the sport today,it seems the top amatuers are having a hard time getting results this year. Is it just growing pains or is the talent so deep right now that the skills of these riders isn't being shown when you look at the results sheet. Thanks for doing this,

Russell
That's a good question. I think that we got spoiled with some of the riders that came out of the amateur ranks in the past. RC and Stewart mostly. They came out and won straight away. But really there has not been many riders that have been able to do that. I think what it is mostly is that the privateer bikes are all getting so competitive and the Pro field is very deep that it is taking these guys more than a year to build up to winning. RJ Hampshire impresses me but I think the amateurs coming out this year have their work cut out.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:35pm
UpTiTe wrote:
I have talked to some people and have came to the conclusion that the bad results, in Mitch's eyes, at Pro Circuit and the emergence of...
I have talked to some people and have came to the conclusion that the bad results, in Mitch's eyes, at Pro Circuit and the emergence of other strong 250 teams is a by product of the other teams investment into their amateur programs and Mitch's lack of a serious one. Yamaha, Honda and now KTM have stepped up big and Team Green hasn't in the same way.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I completely wrong?

And thanks for your time.
I am not sure of that. Team green has always had a great amateur program with great personnel. Adam Cianciarulo has had some challenges but he is clearly a winner and he was team green. For sure Honda has scored big with Barcia, Tomac and Bogle but I would have to guess that its something different.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:50pm
My question relates to Daniel Baker, who caught my attention by blistering the first 250 practice session of the season at Hangtown, besting the second fastest...
My question relates to Daniel Baker, who caught my attention by blistering the first 250 practice session of the season at Hangtown, besting the second fastest rider's lap time by 6 seconds. He also achieved his best moto finish of the season that day with a 13th. I happened to be standing trackside at Unadilla at the exact spot where Daniel crashed during qualifying. Unfortunately that mishap ended his day and he didn't attempt to qualify in Utah, nor was he on the injury report. I was wondering what his status is for Indiana and if he will be with the team for Supercross. Thanks for being this week's Forum QNA guest.
Daniel will be READY TO RACE in Indiana and we are hoping he can find that spark that made him so impressive in Sacramento. Daniel is a perfect example of how hard it is to be a top rider at this level. He clearly has the speed to succeed but so much of being a professional is being able to perform at your best when it really matters. That ability to control the nervous emotions is what makes great athletes great. We are already looking at ways to help him and the younger riders on our team to control those moments and perform to their potential. Not everybody can do that easily. Something to think about next time you are yelling at the TV because your favorite Quaterback blew another play while you are wearing your favorite Jay Cutler jersey.
James Coy
8/19/2015 2:54pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Do Orange Brigade riders in the 250 class have an option to ride a 250SX?

If they do not, why is that?
We do not offer that to them because the focus is to get them up to speed on the four stroke that they will ride when they turn pro. If they requested it directly we could revisit it but the plan is to build them up on the four stroke.
- James
James Coy
8/19/2015 3:00pm
ML512 wrote:
James, how will Orange Brigade and Troy Lee Designs relationship work team-wise going forward, with TLD becoming the official Factory 250F team where KTM riders will...
James, how will Orange Brigade and Troy Lee Designs relationship work team-wise going forward, with TLD becoming the official Factory 250F team where KTM riders will hope to land.
Ultimately the job of this team is to help get these riders ready to win on the TLD team. The relationship has been building with them ever since they made the switch to KTM and it seems to be getting better as this year has gone on.
- James
8/19/2015 3:49pm
You said that it is important to ride the 125 coming off the superminis before the 250f. Why exactly do you think that?
JM485
8/19/2015 5:58pm
Wrench wrote:
Hey James, I have a question about the education of these future pros. I think it's really great that the top prospects are getting a lot...
Hey James,
James Coy wrote:
Personally I agree with you. I think there needs to be a balance and I believe you can be a top amateur rider and stay in...
Personally I agree with you. I think there needs to be a balance and I believe you can be a top amateur rider and stay in school. A great example of that would be Jordan Bailey. I also believe it would be hard to implement something of that nature because then you are basically pushing the riders and families into something they may not be comfortable with. Hopefully the parents understand that it would be a good idea to have a plan B.
It is true that our Orange Brigade riders are taught the skills for public speaking and being as professional as possible when they do the Orange Brigade Camps offered to our amateur support program. Those riders range from 50cc riders to Support riders in the "A" classes. Also from what I understand KTM is developing a program with Nathan Ramsey to support riders Nation wide that stay in school and offer them guidance and practice time as long as they keep their grades up. It will be interesting to learn more about that as it develops.
- James
Just wanted to say I think that is an awesome idea! It really sucks that amateurs essentially have to choose between racing and education, and I think it's great that you guys are working to bridge that gap, something needs to change and this seems like a decent step in the right direction.
Gringoe
8/20/2015 8:41am
Will Dakota Alix ride for you next year?
James Coy
8/20/2015 8:43am
You said that it is important to ride the 125 coming off the superminis before the 250f. Why exactly do you think that?
The four strokes are different in several ways. To start they have more rotating parts in the motor that create more inertia which makes it harder to lay the bike over and also keep it in line if it starts to swap side to side. Typically the kids that are coming off the super minis are lighter and haven't developed the upper body strength it takes to ride one aggressively right away. Also the kids seem to be used to over revving the super minis and as we know that is not the best way to ride the four strokes. Starting on a 125 lets them get used to the bigger chassis and wheels while they develop the strength and size they will need. We also use that time to have them learn to short shift the motor and learn to ride it in a way that is more suited for the four strokes. Obviously there are riders out there that have made the jump successfully but KTM believes that this is a safer way to transition into the big bikes.
- James
RCB33
Fantasy
139th
8/20/2015 8:44am
RCB33 wrote:
How do you feel about the talent depth in the sport today,it seems the top amatuers are having a hard time getting results this year. Is...

Russell
James Coy wrote:
That's a good question. I think that we got spoiled with some of the riders that came out of the amateur ranks in the past. RC...
That's a good question. I think that we got spoiled with some of the riders that came out of the amateur ranks in the past. RC and Stewart mostly. They came out and won straight away. But really there has not been many riders that have been able to do that. I think what it is mostly is that the privateer bikes are all getting so competitive and the Pro field is very deep that it is taking these guys more than a year to build up to winning. RJ Hampshire impresses me but I think the amateurs coming out this year have their work cut out.
- James
Thanks for the answer!
James Coy
8/20/2015 8:47am
Gringoe wrote:
Will Dakota Alix ride for you next year?
Unfortunately he will not. When this program was developed the idea was to give the young riders a year and a half of professional racing to earn a spot on the factory team. His last race with this team will be this weekend in Indiana.
- James
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/20/2015 10:04am
What is your opinion on top amateurs receiving more support than pro privateers? Do you believe it keeps some potential "late bloomers" from excelling in this sport as there is no support to race pro or do you believe the "cream rises to the top" and everyone that should be getting support to make it is?
TXDirt
8/20/2015 12:58pm
In your opinion, what was the catalyst that started KTM's transformation with regards to top tier racing? In the 90's KTM was mostly known for their enduro motorcycles. Very rarely did you see many KTM's at the amateur and professional level of racing. Over the last 10-15 years there has been a complete change. It's great to see. Always wondered how it happened and who was responsible for it ultimately.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: James Coy

The Latest