Vital MX Forum QNA: Christophe Pourcel

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:41pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is Christophe Pourcel. Christophe has been an MX2 World Champ, and had already won his first U.S. Supercross before an injury suffered while defending his World title resulted in partial paralysis. After rehab, he not only returned to action, he took a pair of 250 Supercross titles in the U.S. He also just missed winning a 250 National title after crashing and breaking a collarbone at the final round. The Frenchman now calls the U.S. home, and is always incredibly smooth, deceptively fast, and notoriously private...which makes the opportunity for you to ask him questions all the more intriguing.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.

|
david225
8/16/2016 5:13am
Glad to have you here Christophe! I have always enjoyed watching you ride, definitely a style that I wish I could have!

Just a couple quick questions to start off with, who was your favorite competitor to face against from either the GPs or racing in the US? And also, who did you look up to while growing up?

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
8/16/2016 5:19am
Awesome to have you doing a Q&A! I was just wondering what it was like to ride for mitch and PC? it has to be one of the best bikes you have ridden. Also how do you make your riding look so smooth and effortless much like JMB did in the 90's?
themrtoad
8/16/2016 5:25am
Hi Christophe,

You are one of the riders I will always cheer for. I saw you the first time on a KX125 and you were really fast back then already.

If you didn't race dirtbikes for a living what other sport would you have done, or career?

Riding dirtbikes is quite dangerous as you know more than most people. Would you like your kids to follow in your fotsteps?
jamma10
8/16/2016 5:51am
Hey Christophe

I love the fact you do things your own way, but it sometimes frustrates me that you allow the publics perception of you be to be shaped almost entirely by hearsay and rumours in the media. You’re obviously not a big fan of giving interviews so I think it’s awesome that you’ve agreed to do this. Have you always preferred to remain private, or did you lose trust in journalists at some point along the way?

It must have been exceptionally difficult for you at times over the past few years. I thought you might retire on more than a few occasions so I’m really glad to see you happy and settled at Husqvarna.

ps. I don’t think I’ve felt more disappointment for a rider than I did when you were forced to retire from the last race at Saint-Jean-d'Angely in 2011. I honestly thought you were going to win that race and the MXdN for France after having such a bad time since losing the 2010 outdoor title, and you were robbed by that Bib Mousse! Sad

The Shop

kkawboy14
8/16/2016 6:14am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 6:15am
1) It's always reported that you like a slow 450, as if they detune it for you, is this true?

2) If that's the case there is an ongoing debate here at Vital that a rider in the Pro Class is just as competitive on a 350 as he would be on a 450, how do you feel about that?
HenryA
8/16/2016 7:49am
Huge fan here Christophe, I'm glad that you're stopping in here!

Since the adventure in 2011 with Motoconcepts really didn't go as planned, what made you change your attitude against Yamaha and their bikes and decided to race for them again in 2014?

Is DV still pissed? Wink

Hoping for the best in 2017, you're making the Husqvarna look great out there!
Rupert X
8/16/2016 8:05am
Dude. Where you get those fans you run on your Husky dashboard ? Gots to score me one. Bonus question- Why you always gotta go nail down fastest lap ? What's that all about ?
Ted722
8/16/2016 8:05am
Christophe,
Do you play around at all on some of the great 2-strokes Husqvarna produces? If so, is it part of your weekly training / riding schedule and how is it beneficial? Do you have a favorite (125, 150, or 250)?

It's been a joy to watch you ride. Good luck next season!
philG
8/16/2016 8:09am
Hi Christophe..

Its clear to see the French system produces many good riders, with their home SX series and other things, but do you think the importance of the 125cc class that has been retained is one of the biggest factors ?

IWreckALot
8/16/2016 8:41am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 8:41am
Rupert X wrote:
Dude. Where you get those fans you run on your Husky dashboard ? Gots to score me one. Bonus question- Why you always gotta go nail...
Dude. Where you get those fans you run on your Husky dashboard ? Gots to score me one. Bonus question- Why you always gotta go nail down fastest lap ? What's that all about ?
I thought for sure you would tag a photo in this thread.

Count me in for the fastest lap question! 3 things are certain in life. Taxes, death and CP throwing down the fastest lap at the end of practice.
CP377
8/16/2016 9:28am
david225 wrote:
Glad to have you here Christophe! I have always enjoyed watching you ride, definitely a style that I wish I could have! Just a couple quick...
Glad to have you here Christophe! I have always enjoyed watching you ride, definitely a style that I wish I could have!

Just a couple quick questions to start off with, who was your favorite competitor to face against from either the GPs or racing in the US? And also, who did you look up to while growing up?

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Hey there, thank you!

Favorite competitor in the GP is for sure Cairoli, we had some good battles in my first couple years professional and again in 2012. For the US probably Dungey in 2009. Looking up to someone... in racing? not anyone in particular, we didn't have much tv in france when I was young but when i could watch the racing in America i loved it, always knew that was something I wanted to do.
CP377
8/16/2016 9:32am
themrtoad wrote:
Hi Christophe, You are one of the riders I will always cheer for. I saw you the first time on a KX125 and you were really...
Hi Christophe,

You are one of the riders I will always cheer for. I saw you the first time on a KX125 and you were really fast back then already.

If you didn't race dirtbikes for a living what other sport would you have done, or career?

Riding dirtbikes is quite dangerous as you know more than most people. Would you like your kids to follow in your fotsteps?
Thanks for the question.

If i didn't race dirt bikes i would probably play tennis or soccer, and for a different job i would probably be working in my uncles butcher shop in france. No, i don't want my kids to ride dirt bikes, we will be handing them tennis rackets and soccer cleats haha
mulletman
8/16/2016 9:32am
1. How do you make riding look so effortless?

2. Do you plan on teaching MX after you retire? I know some of us normal guys would LOVE to take a class from you.

Thank you so much for coming on here!
CP377
8/16/2016 9:48am
jamma10 wrote:
Hey Christophe I love the fact you do things your own way, but it sometimes frustrates me that you allow the publics perception of you be...
Hey Christophe

I love the fact you do things your own way, but it sometimes frustrates me that you allow the publics perception of you be to be shaped almost entirely by hearsay and rumours in the media. You’re obviously not a big fan of giving interviews so I think it’s awesome that you’ve agreed to do this. Have you always preferred to remain private, or did you lose trust in journalists at some point along the way?

It must have been exceptionally difficult for you at times over the past few years. I thought you might retire on more than a few occasions so I’m really glad to see you happy and settled at Husqvarna.

ps. I don’t think I’ve felt more disappointment for a rider than I did when you were forced to retire from the last race at Saint-Jean-d'Angely in 2011. I honestly thought you were going to win that race and the MXdN for France after having such a bad time since losing the 2010 outdoor title, and you were robbed by that Bib Mousse! Sad
haha thank you yeah that des nations was a bummer!!

i don't mind to give interviews, its part of the job. you have to be careful with some journalist, or when they translate a interview... things can get lost. also I'm a little more private after we got robbed in 2012, i had been posting on facebook about a charity i was doing at my local track in france, pictures of riding and mtb with the location and I think someone followed me home from the track and knew we had bikes. So I'm a more careful about not posting every thing I'm doing or where i am. its easier to do the interviews or posts when they are important and done right too. but you can't control the rumors in the media every week, its tough when journalists post their opinion but didn't report anything from you, and people believe everything they read...
CP377
8/16/2016 9:50am
kkawboy14 wrote:
1) It's always reported that you like a slow 450, as if they detune it for you, is this true? 2) If that's the case there...
1) It's always reported that you like a slow 450, as if they detune it for you, is this true?

2) If that's the case there is an ongoing debate here at Vital that a rider in the Pro Class is just as competitive on a 350 as he would be on a 450, how do you feel about that?
yes, my bike is different from a lot of the other guys. more mellow. i can agree with a 350 being competitive with a 450, but it depends on what event.
CP377
8/16/2016 9:52am
Ted722 wrote:
Christophe, Do you play around at all on some of the great 2-strokes Husqvarna produces? If so, is it part of your weekly training / riding...
Christophe,
Do you play around at all on some of the great 2-strokes Husqvarna produces? If so, is it part of your weekly training / riding schedule and how is it beneficial? Do you have a favorite (125, 150, or 250)?

It's been a joy to watch you ride. Good luck next season!
haha yeah we did last summer at the bike launch for Husqvarna, it was pretty fun riding the woods and stuff, but not part of my weekly training! Thanks for the question.
jl0822
8/16/2016 9:56am
Hi Christophe,

Big fan here.
I was there for the 2010 unadilla race, that was an epic ride you put in.

I was hoping to get an autograph this year at unadilla or budds creek.
How can i get an autograph jersey? would a $200 donation to a charity of your choice do it?
mxtech1
8/16/2016 10:04am
Can you tell us a little about your plans for 5 & 10 years from now? Goals, must-do's, etc.

What about life after moto? Will you return home or could you see yourself settling in the States?
FastGzus
8/16/2016 10:06am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 10:08am
Christophe,
I think it's awesome that you do things your own way and don't seem to follow the norm. My question pertains to a hot topic among this board now.

In your opinion is the schedule as it currently stands to much? If you were given full authority of both super cross and motocross what would be the changes if any you'd make?

Best wishes and thanks
Sideways
8/16/2016 10:33am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 10:35am
Hi Pourcel,

Thanks for doing this!

I have followed your whole carrer and always loved your style. One of my favorite riders for sure!

How much do you still suffer from that big accident/crash? Ive read that you cant train as much as you want because of the pain. Is that still true? Do you have any affects from the accident?

How are you feeling after the Washougal crash?

I hope to see you back racing soon! Cheers!

Pakoyz250f
Fantasy
1568th
8/16/2016 10:41am Edited Date/Time 8/16/2016 10:48am
Hi Christophe!! First of all, Happy Birthday!!

This is your biggest fan from Mexico! I followed you closely since 2009 and became a fan! I know the 2012 Mexican GP was not that good but being able to see you ride was awesome! I saw your videos " an endless return" and men what you went through was insane.

To the questions

1.- What are your plans after racing?

2.- What are the consequences of your big accident, we know how bad it was but it would be cool if you explain how still affects you still to this day, so a lot of people understands what you been trough and what you go through every day.

3.- What would be the funniest story of your days of racing? and what would be a secret that you could tell us about your riding or about anything haha

Thanks for coming here and wish you a great 2017!! go get them! you can do it!
Calihusky
8/16/2016 11:09am
Thanks for doing this Christophe!
It's great watching you race with such talent and smooth style!
I saw right after the last Glen Helen moto you were getting some chiropractic/massage treatment for your neck. I think maybe with Dr. G? Does that play a large role in staying healthy for the season? It seems like a lot of riders will mention getting an injury worked on before, in between and after motos.
Also, with all the talk about safety do you feel that there are any changes you would like to see that could help? Such as track design smooth vs rough, protective equipment, bike displacement changes, etc. We hate seeing any of you guys get injured!
Thanks again!
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1185th
8/16/2016 11:43am
CP377, Not really any questions but I have been a big fan, its going to be a sad day when we can no longer watch you race. please don't retire anytime soon. Jon
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
8/16/2016 11:43am
One of my favorite races involves you. It was the 2010 Las Vegas East/West shootout and you got third place with your team going 1-2-3-4. You were in the hunt for the win for sure. You had a great 250F career!

Thanks for doing this!
Myke
Fantasy
2887th
8/16/2016 12:51pm
I don't have a question, I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to do this!

You are one of my favorite riders to watch.
8/16/2016 1:08pm
first i have to say i really like you style on and of the bike,and i´m thankful that you are doing this.
my question is, what is the most different on you bike than any other pro riders bike ?
and is the wp suspensions the best you ever ridden ?
CP377
8/16/2016 1:42pm
Rupert X wrote:
Dude. Where you get those fans you run on your Husky dashboard ? Gots to score me one. Bonus question- Why you always gotta go nail...
IWreckALot wrote:
I thought for sure you would tag a photo in this thread. Count me in for the fastest lap question! 3 things are certain in life...
I thought for sure you would tag a photo in this thread.

Count me in for the fastest lap question! 3 things are certain in life. Taxes, death and CP throwing down the fastest lap at the end of practice.
haha! thats awesome. thanks guys, the fans are manufactured by our fan tech scuba steve
MOTO120
8/16/2016 1:47pm
1) Who stands out as one of your "favorite" teammates?

2) Regarding training, do you spend numerous hours on a bicycle each week like we see a lot of other riders do?

Thanks!
CP377
8/16/2016 1:55pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Can you tell us a little about your plans for 5 & 10 years from now? Goals, must-do's, etc. What about life after moto? Will you...
Can you tell us a little about your plans for 5 & 10 years from now? Goals, must-do's, etc.

What about life after moto? Will you return home or could you see yourself settling in the States?
hey there, thanks for the question.

5 - 10 years I will probably retire from full time racing and possibly move on to endurocross in the US and doing select european SX events. My wife and I would also like to open our own business, have children, live a simple life! For sure will rest in the US, I sold my property with the MX track and built a new home here in Florida.
CP377
8/16/2016 2:06pm
FastGzus wrote:
Christophe, I think it's awesome that you do things your own way and don't seem to follow the norm. My question pertains to a hot topic...
Christophe,
I think it's awesome that you do things your own way and don't seem to follow the norm. My question pertains to a hot topic among this board now.

In your opinion is the schedule as it currently stands to much? If you were given full authority of both super cross and motocross what would be the changes if any you'd make?

Best wishes and thanks
good question.

its a pretty busy schedule, i think more off weekends would be nice for a lot of people, not just the riders. Probably make the SX championship shorter and less west coast rounds. MX is good, maybe some tracks I would change but they do a good job. One thing I would add to both is a riders union so we can have a opinion with the promoters and track builders.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Christophe Pourcel

The Latest