Vital MX Forum QNA: Broc Tickle

USMCMXer
2/9/2016 8:53am
You grew up around a ton of fast guys in NC, with Taylor Futrell, Austin Stroupe, PJ Larsen, and many others, plus Larry Ward was around a good bit, and a ton of other fast kids younger (CW17) than you. Any good stories from your younger days racing or riding with any of those guys?
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 9:03am
shuggs wrote:
When coming back from injury how do you turn the frustration at being out into trying to stay calm and in control 1st race back? When...
When coming back from injury how do you turn the frustration at being out into trying to stay calm and in control 1st race back?

When coming back which areas do you focus on (assuming fitness is up to scratch)?
I always focus on my goals while I'm injured. I think that's really important bc it keeps you in a good state and motivated to do what you need to do when it's time to get back. I think it's knowing when to come back that's really important. Can't force yourself to come back and already set yourself up to have another mistake that causes another injury or a bad race.
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 9:09am
USMCMXer wrote:
You grew up around a ton of fast guys in NC, with Taylor Futrell, Austin Stroupe, PJ Larsen, and many others, plus Larry Ward was around...
You grew up around a ton of fast guys in NC, with Taylor Futrell, Austin Stroupe, PJ Larsen, and many others, plus Larry Ward was around a good bit, and a ton of other fast kids younger (CW17) than you. Any good stories from your younger days racing or riding with any of those guys?
Yea we have a solid group of guys for sure. It's really cool to look back at see how much of us have accomplished in the sport. Growing up we always were around each other and raced all the same races and pitted by each other. No specific stories but we had a good time throughout our amateur career
Switch
2/9/2016 10:36am
Glad to see you on here and answering questions, thanks or stopping by. That leads to my first question.. do you ever look at any forums or listen to moto-related podcasts on your own time? (outside of this Q&A of course)

You mentioned the pay for the riders could be increased, which I think everyone can agree with. With RCH being well known for their efforts to please sponsors, as a rider, what is one thing that you make a conscious effort to do to ensure that both personal and team sponsors are satisfied with their investment?

The Shop

TailSoHard
2/9/2016 10:52am
No problem. For sure whips and wheelies. It depends on the area I'm struggling on the track but most of my adjustments race day and during...
No problem. For sure whips and wheelies. It depends on the area I'm struggling on the track but most of my adjustments race day and during the week are simple. Sag and fork height are easy fixes for bike balance and obviously clicker adjustments. Haha I wouldn't say I'm the best runner in the sport but if it was a 10 lap run I'd have a shot. I had a blast riding for premix, I didn't get to keep the bike but I wanted to build one after riding it.
Thanks for the reply man!

While we're on the topic of Premix...

How was the experience? Can you take us through that day (days?) of filming?

Did you have your 450 there too for comparison? Pros/Cons between the two?

Who did that RM belong to? Did you swap anything for your personal preference? What was your initial impression of the bike?

Did it bring back any feelings of nostalgia? Do you wish that you'd had the chance to race two-strokes in the pros?

(You don't have to answer all of those, just giving some ideas for discussion. Normally by now there'd be about 1000 questions asking your opinion on two-strokes so I figured I'd get the ball rolling lol)
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/9/2016 11:05am
Hey Broc, thanks for taking the time doing this! Hope the healing is going well.

1. Being on the same team and bike for a few years now, are there many changes in your setup from year to year or do you keep things pretty close to the year before?
2. With other riders starting families and having kids, are there any plans for you and Jessica to start growing the family soon? And if you have a son, how do you feel about him riding/racing when he gets older? Is it something you'd like to keep as something fun to do together or if he wants to, take it seriously to possibly have a career like you?

Thanks again for doing this!
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 11:23am
Switch wrote:
Glad to see you on here and answering questions, thanks or stopping by. That leads to my first question.. do you ever look at any forums...
Glad to see you on here and answering questions, thanks or stopping by. That leads to my first question.. do you ever look at any forums or listen to moto-related podcasts on your own time? (outside of this Q&A of course)

You mentioned the pay for the riders could be increased, which I think everyone can agree with. With RCH being well known for their efforts to please sponsors, as a rider, what is one thing that you make a conscious effort to do to ensure that both personal and team sponsors are satisfied with their investment?

I honestly don't really listen to any radio podcasts or read forums. For the most part I feel like it's full of negative comments and stipulations. I like being part of this and doing radio shows bc it gives the Moto community to know myself and know what we go through. I always try to over deliver to each sponsor and go beyond to make them happy. I love what I do and I want to be known as a valuable rider and person to the sport
juanchi151
2/9/2016 3:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 3:49pm
what is your normal day during the supercross season.
do you train hard in the gim, road bike and that staff? or you only do motos?

Mini Elsinore
2/9/2016 3:52pm

1. What pro had the most impact on your particular style of riding?
2. Who in the industry do you consider your "rabbi"?
3. What is your all-time favorite bike?
Thanks and hoping for a speedy return.
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 4:53pm
juanchi151 wrote:
what is your normal day during the supercross season.
do you train hard in the gim, road bike and that staff? or you only do motos?

Just depends on what day of the week it is and how I'm feeling. Gareth Swanepoel is my trainer so he sets up my program for the week. Off season is when the training is a higher load. Trying consists of cycling, rowing, running, gym and obviously motos.
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 4:57pm
1. What pro had the most impact on your particular style of riding? 2. Who in the industry do you consider your "rabbi"? 3. What is...

1. What pro had the most impact on your particular style of riding?
2. Who in the industry do you consider your "rabbi"?
3. What is your all-time favorite bike?
Thanks and hoping for a speedy return.
Jeremy McGrath had the most inspiration to me bc he was winning and has flawless riding style. I don't really have a rabbi and my favorite bike ever would have to be my first bike I ever had bc it's what lit the flame for me to be where I am today.
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 5:02pm
TailSoHard wrote:
Thanks for the reply man! While we're on the topic of Premix... How was the experience? Can you take us through that day (days?) of filming...
Thanks for the reply man!

While we're on the topic of Premix...

How was the experience? Can you take us through that day (days?) of filming?

Did you have your 450 there too for comparison? Pros/Cons between the two?

Who did that RM belong to? Did you swap anything for your personal preference? What was your initial impression of the bike?

Did it bring back any feelings of nostalgia? Do you wish that you'd had the chance to race two-strokes in the pros?

(You don't have to answer all of those, just giving some ideas for discussion. Normally by now there'd be about 1000 questions asking your opinion on two-strokes so I figured I'd get the ball rolling lol)
Premix was rad, super laid back and all around good time. I really like Donn and Jordan over at TWMX so it was easy to have a good time. Haha no I didn't have a 450 to compare but it was cool to ride a RM250. I've only ever rode a 250 two stroke one other time and that was in 04'. Two strokes have less engine braking and are really light feeling and nimble. I still wouldn't want to race it against 450s.
MX Dad #27
Fantasy
307th
2/9/2016 7:22pm
The last CR 85 you raced at Loretta's, was the FIRST CR 85 my Daughter raced at Loretta's (see the picture above).
After we bought that bike your Dad sent me (I think) EVERY CR 85 part you guys had.
Their was a sticker on the bar pad that said "Earn your respect" I always thought that was classy.
I enjoyed meeting you and your Dad at Loretta's in '04.
I thought you were a good kid then, and from what I can tell you are a good man now.
I believe you have "Earned your respect".
No question really just a comment.
Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 7:36pm
MX Dad #27 wrote:
The last CR 85 you raced at Loretta's, was the FIRST CR 85 my Daughter raced at Loretta's (see the picture above). After we bought that...
The last CR 85 you raced at Loretta's, was the FIRST CR 85 my Daughter raced at Loretta's (see the picture above).
After we bought that bike your Dad sent me (I think) EVERY CR 85 part you guys had.
Their was a sticker on the bar pad that said "Earn your respect" I always thought that was classy.
I enjoyed meeting you and your Dad at Loretta's in '04.
I thought you were a good kid then, and from what I can tell you are a good man now.
I believe you have "Earned your respect".
No question really just a comment.
That's really cool. I really appreciate the support and the kind words.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
2/9/2016 8:26pm
HI Broc, thanks for doing this!

You answered a training question above but I am curious as to what exactly guys like you do on the rowing machine? Like for how long or what speed, intervals or just a constant pace?

Broc Tickle
2/9/2016 9:56pm
Ramrod wrote:
HI Broc, thanks for doing this! You answered a training question above but I am curious as to what exactly guys like you do on the...
HI Broc, thanks for doing this!

You answered a training question above but I am curious as to what exactly guys like you do on the rowing machine? Like for how long or what speed, intervals or just a constant pace?

Most of the time rowing is at a constant pace but every now and then some intervals. Just depending if it's just a warm up or a workout. Typical row is between 3000 to 5000 m.
Whitey
2/9/2016 11:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2016 11:21pm
Gday Broc,

Does it feel like your bike is cheating on you with Jake riding it? Smile

I believe your folks named you after Broc Glover yes/no? if yes how glad are you they didn't name you Carl after Broc's Academy Award winning performance in Winners Take All?

How long does it take typically you to adapt to your Outdoor bike settings after SX and vice versa?

Good luck when you get back out there Mate.
TS32
2/9/2016 11:24pm
What is the most valuable thing you have learnt about training in your years as a professional?

Also, what would be the most useful advice for someone trying to make it in the sport?

Cheers.
HenryA
2/9/2016 11:56pm
Hey Broc!
How was it to race Hansen for the title? Any hard feelings between you two?

What did Mitch say to you guys when it was clear that it was either you or Hansen that would win the title? Any rules regarding racing?

How cool was it to be 3 teammates on the podium at A1 2011?
Lot's of 2011 questions but hey, it was a great year. Wink
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
2/10/2016 4:25am
Hi Broc!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

How much time do you spend on the bike on an average training day?

Do you ever spend anytime in NC anymore?

What advice would you give a 16yr old struggling with being a normal teen or dedicating what it takes to try to make a career out of MX?

Did your parents push you? Do you wish they would have pushed more or less?

Good luck with your career, I look forward to seeing you race for many more years!!!
Broc Tickle
2/10/2016 7:00am
Whitey wrote:
Gday Broc, Does it feel like your bike is cheating on you with Jake riding it? :) I believe your folks named you after Broc Glover...
Gday Broc,

Does it feel like your bike is cheating on you with Jake riding it? Smile

I believe your folks named you after Broc Glover yes/no? if yes how glad are you they didn't name you Carl after Broc's Academy Award winning performance in Winners Take All?

How long does it take typically you to adapt to your Outdoor bike settings after SX and vice versa?

Good luck when you get back out there Mate.
Haha. No she likes Jake
Broc Tickle
2/10/2016 7:07am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
Hi Broc! Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. How much time do you spend on the bike on an average training day? Do you...
Hi Broc!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

How much time do you spend on the bike on an average training day?

Do you ever spend anytime in NC anymore?

What advice would you give a 16yr old struggling with being a normal teen or dedicating what it takes to try to make a career out of MX?

Did your parents push you? Do you wish they would have pushed more or less?

Good luck with your career, I look forward to seeing you race for many more years!!!
Just depends on the day, sometimes 2 hours sometimes 45 min. During test days could be longer. I went there last year but not since then. The only advice I can give for that is, there's a time and a place for things. You have to be able to make sacrifices. Big ones if you want to see massive results. Yeah my parents pushed me but at the end of the day I wanted to become a pro motocross racer so it was up to me. I couldn't have done it without a huge group of my family and amateur sponsors.
Broc Tickle
2/10/2016 7:21am
TS32 wrote:
What is the most valuable thing you have learnt about training in your years as a professional? Also, what would be the most useful advice for...
What is the most valuable thing you have learnt about training in your years as a professional?

Also, what would be the most useful advice for someone trying to make it in the sport?

Cheers.
Training isn't always what everybody thinks it is. Everytime we train is not all out. Training is all about being consistent and knowing your body to know when you need to recover. Having a schedule or a trainer is good bc it keeps you motivated and it will be consistent if you stick to it. Dream big and have the will power and work ethic to do what you need to. Don't lose focus on the big picture
Broc Tickle
2/10/2016 7:27am
HenryA wrote:
Hey Broc! How was it to race Hansen for the title? Any hard feelings between you two? What did Mitch say to you guys when it...
Hey Broc!
How was it to race Hansen for the title? Any hard feelings between you two?

What did Mitch say to you guys when it was clear that it was either you or Hansen that would win the title? Any rules regarding racing?

How cool was it to be 3 teammates on the podium at A1 2011?
Lot's of 2011 questions but hey, it was a great year. Wink
2011 was a really good year for me. It was awesome to be on PC, we had a cool group of riders and team members. I've always loved watching Hanny ride. Flawless and fluid riding style. At the time honestly I was so focused on myself nothing else mattered. A1 was awesome for the team and showed we put in a lot of off season prep.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/10/2016 7:48am
Broc, when did you find out that you would't be able to defend your 2011 West Coast SX title and would instead have to race the 450 class for 2012?

Would you have liked another year or two in the 250 class?
Broc Tickle
2/10/2016 8:03am
ML512 wrote:
Broc, when did you find out that you would't be able to defend your 2011 West Coast SX title and would instead have to race the...
Broc, when did you find out that you would't be able to defend your 2011 West Coast SX title and would instead have to race the 450 class for 2012?

Would you have liked another year or two in the 250 class?
I found out around mid outdoors for sure that I wasn't able to defend. Now I'm glad that rule was in place. Gave me a good learning year in 2012 in supercross on the 450. The hardest part of 450 is staying healthy for the whole year and the brutal sx series
2/10/2016 8:55am
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

What do you want for breakfast tomorrow?
Switch
2/10/2016 12:18pm
If you could pick a rider from any point in history, who do you think accomplished the most with the least support?
IWreckALot
2/10/2016 1:27pm
Has Ricky ever apologized for the comment he made in the broadcast at Daytona that year about your corner speed? Did you laugh when you heard it or did it piss you off?

Last year you looked more fit than you had in previous years. Your results seemed better also. Did you start doing something different last year training wise? Or am I mis-remembering from the years past?
thorns
2/10/2016 2:06pm
How much difference is there between your training programs for SX versus MX?

Is the SX training just all about balls to the wall, 20minute sprints, and MX more about being able to do back to back 35min + sessions, more of an endurance type training?

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Broc Tickle

The Latest