Vital MX Forum QNA: Benny Bloss

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
10/17/2016 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/10/2017 4:41pm

This week's guest in the Vital MX forum QNA is Benny Bloss. This long and lanky Missouri native is a AMA Horizon Award winner, and has come into his own this season in the pro ranks while he was filling in for Andrew Short on 450 KTMs. He had a solid summer, just missing the top five in the final standings, and he landed himself a permanent spot on the Rocky Mountain ATV/MC-KTM-WPS squad.

Bring your best questions, and he'll be peeking in here this week to answer them. As always, keep it respectful, and ask questions that you would like in a face-to-face meeting.

If you want to see previous Vital MX Forum QNAs, click the Forum QNA tag. (See below.)

|
flarider
10/17/2016 5:24pm
Never heard of him
langhammx
Fantasy
311th
10/17/2016 5:32pm
Benny, who helped you the most getting to where you are now ? Most riders have "that one shop" or sponsor that was special, who would you like to thank the most for your success, besides your parents ?
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
10/17/2016 5:36pm
flarider wrote:
Never heard of him
He said the same. Smile
jeffskii
10/17/2016 5:48pm
Hey Benny,

A: what type of changes do you make to your bike to fit your height?
B: when is your height an advantage and when is it a disadvantage?

thanks bro! Been pulling for you for a while now, I always root for the taller guys! I went nuts when I saw you in second at Dilla!

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
10/17/2016 5:52pm
Ironically, the weekend when you guys had the fire in the rig, Unadilla, was also one of your best performances of the summer. What was that weekend like?
Heath B.
Fantasy
1292nd
10/17/2016 5:59pm
Hey Benny,
Heath from Alabama. I was born into MX in 1974. My uncle was Factory Pro Furman Gray for Suzuki and Maico. I quickly fell in love with the dirt bike and started begging to race at around 4. Never was I allowed due to the danger of the sport. As I got older football became my sport and I grew. I was 6'1 270 when colleges came. I often told my parents I believe I lost out on my true calling of MX. Dad use to say even if I'd have stayed slim, 6'1 was too tall. So my question to you is, at 6'4/6'5 on your height, is it an advantage or a disadvantage in MX? Also is it different in SX? Lastly, I'd say an advantage in the mud correct? Thanks and best wishes in 2017.
wreckitrandy
10/17/2016 6:01pm
Historically, tall guys are fast in the whoops and have bad knees. In the interest of my fantasy picks, how do you fare against the stereotype?
Crush
10/17/2016 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2016 9:43pm
Hey Benny,

Automatic fan man, we're the same height! Super impressed with your debut year, killed it, cool to see!

Interested if you got tall quickly or was it gradual... We've seen with AC a dramatic change in his height and he's talked about having to change his riding style. Was this the case for you or were you always really tall?
rohleder644
10/17/2016 8:01pm
langhammx wrote:
Benny, who helped you the most getting to where you are now ? Most riders have "that one shop" or sponsor that was special, who would...
Benny, who helped you the most getting to where you are now ? Most riders have "that one shop" or sponsor that was special, who would you like to thank the most for your success, besides your parents ?
Totally has to be Shrout's Powersports

I just bought some land around the corner from your dad. I think you need to talk him in to building an endurocross track. It has to be good cross training for sx.

No question for you, just stoked to see you and Austin making Missouri proud.
txmxer
10/17/2016 8:16pm
Hey Ben, congrats on the ride. Good things come to those that put in the work. But, there is more than just turning laps.

No longer a rookie. What do you expect from yourself results wise and what do you think you need to do to make it happen? Many a debate here on vital about trainers/coaches/counselors that get riders to elevate. Anything/person like that for yoiu?

Best of luck (and hard work)
Benny Bloss
10/17/2016 10:12pm
jeffskii wrote:
Hey Benny, A: what type of changes do you make to your bike to fit your height? B: when is your height an advantage and when...
Hey Benny,

A: what type of changes do you make to your bike to fit your height?
B: when is your height an advantage and when is it a disadvantage?

thanks bro! Been pulling for you for a while now, I always root for the taller guys! I went nuts when I saw you in second at Dilla!

A. Honestly I run pretty much everything stock height on my bike, I've been used to running normal stuff my whole life so that's what I like.

B. I would say a big advantage is the whoops in supercross. The biggest disadvantage I think is being heavier, it doesn't matter as much in the 450 class, but it does in the 250's for sure.
Sully
10/17/2016 10:17pm
A. Honestly I run pretty much everything stock height on my bike, I've been used to running normal stuff my whole life so that's what I...
A. Honestly I run pretty much everything stock height on my bike, I've been used to running normal stuff my whole life so that's what I like.

B. I would say a big advantage is the whoops in supercross. The biggest disadvantage I think is being heavier, it doesn't matter as much in the 450 class, but it does in the 250's for sure.
If the weight is a disadvantage, why did the team decide to put you on a 250 for Supercross? Are they contracted to have a 250 guy indoors, or is it more of an experience thing?
Benny Bloss
10/17/2016 10:19pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2016 10:20pm
langhammx wrote:
Benny, who helped you the most getting to where you are now ? Most riders have "that one shop" or sponsor that was special, who would...
I honestly can't say just one person, I've had tons of great people and sponsors throughout my career, without any of them, I wouldn't be where I'm at today.
Benny Bloss
10/17/2016 10:31pm
Crush wrote:
Hey Benny, Automatic fan man, we're the same height! Super impressed with your debut year, killed it, cool to see! Interested if you got tall quickly...
Hey Benny,

Automatic fan man, we're the same height! Super impressed with your debut year, killed it, cool to see!

Interested if you got tall quickly or was it gradual... We've seen with AC a dramatic change in his height and he's talked about having to change his riding style. Was this the case for you or were you always really tall?
I've always been pretty tall, I don't really remember a time when I wasn't taller than all my friends the same age as me. My dad and brother are tall as well so it runs in the family.
Benny Bloss
10/17/2016 10:43pm
txmxer wrote:
Hey Ben, congrats on the ride. Good things come to those that put in the work. But, there is more than just turning laps. No longer...
Hey Ben, congrats on the ride. Good things come to those that put in the work. But, there is more than just turning laps.

No longer a rookie. What do you expect from yourself results wise and what do you think you need to do to make it happen? Many a debate here on vital about trainers/coaches/counselors that get riders to elevate. Anything/person like that for yoiu?

The plan for me now is to just keep doing what I have been, I expect myself to be battling for podium finishes in east coast sx. I learned a lot this past year and feel that I will be way more prepared for the upcoming season. I currently work with Robbie Reynard as my riding coach and Charles Dao from Icon Sports off the bike.
Benny Bloss
10/17/2016 10:58pm
GuyB wrote:
Ironically, the weekend when you guys had the fire in the rig, Unadilla, was also one of your best performances of the summer. What was that...
Ironically, the weekend when you guys had the fire in the rig, Unadilla, was also one of your best performances of the summer. What was that weekend like?
It was definitely the craziest weekend of the year for me. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to get to race and then I ended up having my best race of the year. I felt like the fire completely changed the mood of the weekend, everyone was just happy to be there. By the time practice started, I had kind of just forgot about the situation and was just having fun on my dirtbike. That weekend had by far the most emotions out of all the races.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
10/17/2016 11:27pm
It was definitely the craziest weekend of the year for me. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to get to race and then...
It was definitely the craziest weekend of the year for me. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to get to race and then I ended up having my best race of the year. I felt like the fire completely changed the mood of the weekend, everyone was just happy to be there. By the time practice started, I had kind of just forgot about the situation and was just having fun on my dirtbike. That weekend had by far the most emotions out of all the races.
Nicely done. You've got this figured out. Smile
10/18/2016 6:21am
Hey Benny, I'm sure you're sick of the height talk but for someone like myself who is 6' 4" it's awesome to see you out there makin it look good! Do you have any special techniques or tips you've learned over the years you can pass along?
txmxer
10/18/2016 8:14am
txmxer wrote:
Hey Ben, congrats on the ride. Good things come to those that put in the work. But, there is more than just turning laps. No longer...

The plan for me now is to just keep doing what I have been, I expect myself to be battling for podium finishes in east coast...
The plan for me now is to just keep doing what I have been, I expect myself to be battling for podium finishes in east coast sx. I learned a lot this past year and feel that I will be way more prepared for the upcoming season. I currently work with Robbie Reynard as my riding coach and Charles Dao from Icon Sports off the bike.
Awesome. Big fan of RR and pulling for you when the gate drops.
GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
10/18/2016 9:01am
What's the plan for '17? 250 SX? 450 outdoors?
mxtech1
10/18/2016 10:01am
Can you comment on how you feel with the ever-progressing data acquisition trend? Do you feel the Factory teams have distinct advantages when it comes to data acquisition and telemetry?
Cliffy615
Fantasy
4147th
10/18/2016 12:35pm
Hey Benny,
1st congrats on the year you've had its been great watch!
I'm sure you've placed good your whole life, but for your average fan, you've only this year consistently ran with the top guys. How does it feel to keep with and pass some big name guys?
Ted722
10/18/2016 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2016 4:56pm
Benny,
Looks like you took a break from Loretta's (2008-12). Did you keep racing or try something different?

Also, any chance we'll see you on a 450 during the off-schedule for 250?

Congrats on the great opportunity with the Butler Bros. Good luck!
Benny Bloss
10/18/2016 5:43pm
Hey Benny, I'm sure you're sick of the height talk but for someone like myself who is 6' 4" it's awesome to see you out there...
Hey Benny, I'm sure you're sick of the height talk but for someone like myself who is 6' 4" it's awesome to see you out there makin it look good! Do you have any special techniques or tips you've learned over the years you can pass along?
I would say just basically use your height to your advantage. I feel like I'm good at standing because of my height and using my legs, you just have to play around with stuff and figure out what your advantage is.
Benny Bloss
10/18/2016 5:52pm
Ted722 wrote:
Benny, Looks like you took a break from Loretta's (2008-12). Did you keep racing or try something different? Also, any chance we'll see you on a...
Benny,
Looks like you took a break from Loretta's (2008-12). Did you keep racing or try something different?

Also, any chance we'll see you on a 450 during the off-schedule for 250?

Congrats on the great opportunity with the Butler Bros. Good luck!
I actually got hurt all of those years, it was pretty much the month of regionals every year I would get injured and miss the whole summer.

The only chance I'll be on the 450 is if the team needs a fill in, but the main focus is 250.
flarider
10/19/2016 5:11am
Benny, you won an AMA Horizon award at your final LL's and an AMA RoY Award this year in your first pro year, which one are you most proud of or was the most surprise?
Both are awesome accomplishments, and both are difficult to earn, but won is for being a top prospect and respected amateur (Horizon) and one is self explanatory, the RoY

Does won have a more prominent position with you, emotionally?
WillyB
10/19/2016 7:38am
No questions here but you're one bad dude on a motorcycle. Best of luck to you for the 2017 season!
Benny Bloss
10/19/2016 9:57am
flarider wrote:
Benny, you won an AMA Horizon award at your final LL's and an AMA RoY Award this year in your first pro year, which one are...
Benny, you won an AMA Horizon award at your final LL's and an AMA RoY Award this year in your first pro year, which one are you most proud of or was the most surprise?
Both are awesome accomplishments, and both are difficult to earn, but won is for being a top prospect and respected amateur (Horizon) and one is self explanatory, the RoY

Does won have a more prominent position with you, emotionally?
I feel very honored to have won both of those awards and honestly both of them were a shock to me. As for which one im more proud of, I would say the rookie of the year. The Horizon award is based off of one race compared to the RoY being off the whole season, I just feel like it's more difficult to get the RoY.
Benny Bloss
10/19/2016 10:06am
Cliffy615 wrote:
Hey Benny, 1st congrats on the year you've had its been great watch! I'm sure you've placed good your whole life, but for your average fan...
Hey Benny,
1st congrats on the year you've had its been great watch!
I'm sure you've placed good your whole life, but for your average fan, you've only this year consistently ran with the top guys. How does it feel to keep with and pass some big name guys?
I think the best word I could use to describe the feeling would be insane. I came into the year not really knowing what to expect, and at the beginning of the series I struggled a little bit. But around the halfway point I started doing much better and was getting into the top ten. I would say Southwick was the first race where I surprised myself and was battling with some top dudes. Even looking back at the races now, it's still crazy to me to think that I had some battles with those guys.

Post a reply to: Vital MX Forum QNA: Benny Bloss

The Latest