Vital MX 450 Shootout = awsome!

JB 19
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 3:53pm
Lots of info on each bike and detailed reasons for your conclusions. This is how a shootout should be done. This helps people who are buying bikes choose the right one for them.

I would also like to see some mags do "one step further" shootouts that include cheap fixes for some of the problems a bike may have and then reevaluate. For examlple, if a bike is unbalanced and is missing power somewhere maybe new springs and a remap could transform the bike. Or if a bike has terrible brakes, maybe oversized rotors and reevaluate.
|
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/3/2015 7:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 7:12pm
Yeah! I really enjoyed it too. It was interesting to see the universal distain for the Husky although it's has the same platform as the KTM.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/3/2015 7:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 7:37pm
Credit Michael Lindsay for setting it up and executing it with the testers and manufacturers.

It was our first go-round on a shootout, and there are already some ideas of things to change for next time around, and appreciate your comments and suggestions.
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/3/2015 7:42pm
GuyB wrote:
Credit Michael Lindsay for setting it up and executing it with the testers and manufacturers. It was our first go-round on a shootout, and there are...
Credit Michael Lindsay for setting it up and executing it with the testers and manufacturers.

It was our first go-round on a shootout, and there are already some ideas of things to change for next time around, and appreciate your comments and suggestions.
The thing I found most refreshing is the reviews weren't candy coated to keep people happy. They didn't pick the bike apart, but they were genuine. Some of the large mags are so PC it's hard to tell if they really liked the bike, or are just trying to be as neutral as possible. Would love to see more like this in the future.
reded
2/3/2015 8:12pm
I like JBs idea of trying to fix the small stuff. Maybe the bend of the bar sucks and keeps a bike from feeling as good as it could or it needs stiffer springs, perhaps different tires. Put a $250 cap on the fixes and rate the bikes before and after.

The Shop

AS64
Fantasy
2156th
2/3/2015 9:03pm
Excellent job.
Grizz
2/3/2015 9:03pm
GuyB wrote:
Credit Michael Lindsay for setting it up and executing it with the testers and manufacturers. It was our first go-round on a shootout, and there are...

How do you guys pick the numbers for the bikes?
2/3/2015 9:06pm
Good west coast perspective for the bikes. Seems like all the shootouts I've read were from an east coast perspective....at any rate it was a really good read.
SLO1667
2/3/2015 9:08pm
GuyB wrote:

Always like hearing what ML has to say about a bike. He's a good neutral tester that has thrown a leg over a lot of bikes. He's quite a bit faster than I so not every point will resonate, but in general, he's offers some good input regarding a bike's general traits - good or bad.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/3/2015 10:08pm
Grizz wrote:
It was terribly simple.

Since it was the 450s, I started with the number 4 and went from 0 to 5.

I tried to position the husky and ktm away from each other for photos, and the husky and yamaha apart (because the yamaha and husky both would use blue stands).
CR250Rider
2/3/2015 10:10pm
It's amazing to see that half the bikes are putting out 60 rwhp. stock.

jasonv43
2/3/2015 10:12pm
When is the 250 Shootout going to be available?
enketchum
2/3/2015 11:05pm
Where can we get those sweet VitalMX fender stickers?
jeffro503
2/3/2015 11:27pm
HOLY SHIT!! Gibby and Mike.....you guys have Chris Johnson helping out with the shootouts? I know his dad very well and Chris has ridden a lot at my buddy Jimmy's private track. Really good friends with the Johnson's! Me and ol' factory Phil Johnson raced INT and Vet class races against each other for years. Shocked me a little when I saw his name pop up as a test rider.

And the shootout........best damn shootout I've ever read! I hope to see many more in the future!
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/3/2015 11:46pm
enketchum wrote:
Hit up GuyB, they're on his desk. Laughing
thorns
2/4/2015 12:36am
reded wrote:
I like JBs idea of trying to fix the small stuff. Maybe the bend of the bar sucks and keeps a bike from feeling as good...
I like JBs idea of trying to fix the small stuff. Maybe the bend of the bar sucks and keeps a bike from feeling as good as it could or it needs stiffer springs, perhaps different tires. Put a $250 cap on the fixes and rate the bikes before and after.
This is also something I would love to see as well.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
2/4/2015 6:08am
JB 19 wrote:
Lots of info on each bike and detailed reasons for your conclusions. This is how a shootout should be done. This helps people who are buying...
Lots of info on each bike and detailed reasons for your conclusions. This is how a shootout should be done. This helps people who are buying bikes choose the right one for them.

I would also like to see some mags do "one step further" shootouts that include cheap fixes for some of the problems a bike may have and then reevaluate. For examlple, if a bike is unbalanced and is missing power somewhere maybe new springs and a remap could transform the bike. Or if a bike has terrible brakes, maybe oversized rotors and reevaluate.
I agree. Not many guys who race leave their bike stock. They should put like a $1,000 cap on mods, and then evaluate bikes.
gpracer36
2/4/2015 7:36am
JB 19 wrote:
Lots of info on each bike and detailed reasons for your conclusions. This is how a shootout should be done. This helps people who are buying...

Madmax31 wrote:
I agree. Not many guys who race leave their bike stock. They should put like a $1,000 cap on mods, and then evaluate bikes.
I agree. It would be cool to see a shootout for the stock bikes, then take it a step further and address the weak points of each bike. Example, the Honda is the slowest. How about throwing an exhaust on it and testing it that way? Most of us do that anyway. Will that make it a contender or? The Suzuki, throw a steering stablizer on it. Now does it still head shake? The KTM, have the forks re-valved. Is it now the "best"? Drill some holes in the Husky air box. IDK, sounds kind of interesting and fun for the readers since most of us will do these things anyway.
Grizz
2/4/2015 7:43am
JB 19 wrote:

Madmax31 wrote:
gpracer36 wrote:
I agree. It would be cool to see a shootout for the stock bikes, then take it a step further and address the weak points of...
I agree. It would be cool to see a shootout for the stock bikes, then take it a step further and address the weak points of each bike. Example, the Honda is the slowest. How about throwing an exhaust on it and testing it that way? Most of us do that anyway. Will that make it a contender or? The Suzuki, throw a steering stablizer on it. Now does it still head shake? The KTM, have the forks re-valved. Is it now the "best"? Drill some holes in the Husky air box. IDK, sounds kind of interesting and fun for the readers since most of us will do these things anyway.
Agreed. And then we would also know more about where we might want to focus our attention to on our new bikes.
mx691
Fantasy
1185th
2/4/2015 9:45am
reded wrote:
I like JBs idea of trying to fix the small stuff. Maybe the bend of the bar sucks and keeps a bike from feeling as good...
I suggested that to MXA years ago...
$300-500 mods to fix the most sucking flaws, then rate them.
Rate bikes straight out of the box is stupid, bad stock grips shouldnt count in rating.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/4/2015 10:14am
reded wrote:
mx691 wrote:
I suggested that to MXA years ago... $300-500 mods to fix the most sucking flaws, then rate them. Rate bikes straight out of the box is...
I suggested that to MXA years ago...
$300-500 mods to fix the most sucking flaws, then rate them.
Rate bikes straight out of the box is stupid, bad stock grips shouldnt count in rating.
Manufacturers try to keep the performance up, but costs down, and product spec decisions are made with that in mind. If you want a blinged-out KTM, for example, you can buy a Factory Edition. But including one of those in with the "regular" 450s wouldn't be right.

We did provide some feedback on strengths and weaknesses. That's the starter kit on where to look for performance upgrades.
TeamGreen
2/4/2015 10:27am
After spending PLENTY of time on a KTM...I no longer have to adapt to one when I get on it after riding my KXF.

So, after reading Micheal's explanation of the diffeent bikes & taking into consideration the "usual mods" that most of us make, I'd take the SXF & KXF & swap thier positions. Especially when we're taking about the "Average Rider".

The KTM stands alone, to me, in its quality of hardware...throughout.

That is the best shoutout I've read.

Nice!
brimx153
2/4/2015 10:40am
honest question . if you took any of them bikes and were to re valve and have proper spring rate for rider and level ,would that make that bike an instant winner? like take the husky , do that .does that make it better than the standard kawi instantly .
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
2/4/2015 10:42am
I'm not sure who was responsible for bringing young Mr. Lindsay on to the VitalMX team, but it was a a solid decision!

ML constantly comes thru with quality and insightful articles and postings. Cool

Dragoo168
2/4/2015 11:08am
enketchum wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Hit up GuyB, they're on his desk. Laughing
Welllllll,.......??? Smile
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/4/2015 11:59am
Dragoo168 wrote:
Want some free Vital MX Fender Stickers? They're easy to get, and the price (free) is right. But you have to do a little of the work. Just send a legal-sized SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to:

Vital MX Stickers
2151 Michelson #150
Irvine, CA 92612

For those of you who don't know what a SASE is, here's the scoop.

1. Take a legal-sized envelope, write your own address on the front, and put first class postage on it.

2. Fold up that envelope (don't seal it!), stick it inside another envelope.

3. Address the second envelope to the address above, and send it off (with the appropriate postage on it, of course).

4. Once it arrives at Vital's offices, some of the crew there will stuff a batch of stickers in the interior envelope, and send it back to you.
SEE ARE125
2/4/2015 12:18pm
^^ I tried that once. Sadly, I didn't get any stickers. All I got back was an envelope addressed to Vital MX. Shipping was quick though, I put it in the mail one day and got it back the next.

Laughing
huck
2/4/2015 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 12:20pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Want some free Vital MX Fender Stickers? They're easy to get, and the price (free) is right. But you have to do a little of the...
Want some free Vital MX Fender Stickers? They're easy to get, and the price (free) is right. But you have to do a little of the work. Just send a legal-sized SASE (Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope) to:

Vital MX Stickers
2151 Michelson #150
Irvine, CA 92612

For those of you who don't know what a SASE is, here's the scoop.

1. Take a legal-sized envelope, write your own address on the front, and put first class postage on it.

2. Fold up that envelope (don't seal it!), stick it inside another envelope.

3. Address the second envelope to the address above, and send it off (with the appropriate postage on it, of course).

4. Once it arrives at Vital's offices, some of the crew there will stuff a batch of stickers in the interior envelope, and send it back to you.
So easy!
Grizz
2/4/2015 12:22pm
Grizz wrote:
ML512 wrote:
It was terribly simple. Since it was the 450s, I started with the number 4 and went from 0 to 5. I tried to position the...
It was terribly simple.

Since it was the 450s, I started with the number 4 and went from 0 to 5.

I tried to position the husky and ktm away from each other for photos, and the husky and yamaha apart (because the yamaha and husky both would use blue stands).
Interesting.
IWreckALot
2/4/2015 12:33pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
^^ I tried that once. Sadly, I didn't get any stickers. All I got back was an envelope addressed to Vital MX. Shipping was quick though...
^^ I tried that once. Sadly, I didn't get any stickers. All I got back was an envelope addressed to Vital MX. Shipping was quick though, I put it in the mail one day and got it back the next.

Laughing
You probably forgot to put stamps on it. Lol.

Post a reply to: Vital MX 450 Shootout = awsome!

The Latest