Vital MX 250 Shootout is up...

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
Edited Date/Time 1/6/2016 2:07pm
|
just James
1/5/2016 1:04pm
Sure wish you guys would have included the other two(strokes).
mxb2
1/5/2016 1:06pm
Awesome, thanks.
TeamGreen
1/5/2016 1:22pm
Where, exactly, can I find this "shoot-out"?
c0ncEpT
1/5/2016 1:52pm
Played out exactly how I thought it would. Also further proves that a dyno is simply a tool for tuning.

The Shop

Rowlands
1/5/2016 3:02pm
Honda stepped up by the sounds.

Glad I bought a Yamaha Tongue

Love shootouts thanks guys
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
1/5/2016 3:27pm
Yamaha's persistence with the fugly bikes sure has paid off. Equally surprising is Suzuki's reversal of shootout fortune in both classes over essentially the same time period.
Zycki11
1/5/2016 3:43pm
I really like my yamaha, would like to ride a ktm back to back for comparison and fun. Jealous of the gents able to do these tests and tell the story. One day...
kkawboy14
1/5/2016 3:45pm
bad forks will kill you in a shoot out!

looks like a lazy topend killed the kx
DownSouth
1/5/2016 4:08pm
So the novice tester ranks the KTM 1st and the Husky 6th? Blink
YZ125H1
1/5/2016 4:15pm
After all those changes to the Suzuki motor and she posted those dyno numbers. The engineers at Suzuki still think it's 2007 Silly
1/5/2016 4:16pm
The data acquisition section was good, Honda whopped them. That says loads, if you go faster on it who cares about the rest. If your a racer anyway.
kiwifan
1/5/2016 4:18pm
Looks like another very fair shootout, congrats Vital crew and congrats to Yamaha (again lol)
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/5/2016 4:20pm
The data acquisition section was good, Honda whopped them. That says loads, if you go faster on it who cares about the rest. If your a...
The data acquisition section was good, Honda whopped them. That says loads, if you go faster on it who cares about the rest. If your a racer anyway.
That scoring doesn't necessarily mean every guy had their fastest on the Honda, but it had the overall lowest scores in those categories. For instance, my fastest times and segments weren't on the Honda.
38special
1/5/2016 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2016 4:22pm
Great write up! I really like the lap time analysis. Very interesting that the Honda wins that category. While I know there are variables and you can't base the shootout results entirely on that, I've oft thought the mags' shootouts should give lap times more credence.

I'll always respect MXA and I love the mag, but I feel they over dramatize the traits and dyno results of each bike to manipulate the shootout results to be what they think they should be.

Awesome job guys!
ginger969
1/5/2016 4:29pm
well put together release! Looks like my feelings were pretty on point with the ranks Smile
1/5/2016 4:35pm
The data acquisition section was good, Honda whopped them. That says loads, if you go faster on it who cares about the rest. If your a...
ML512 wrote:
That scoring doesn't necessarily mean every guy had their fastest on the Honda, but it had the overall lowest scores in those categories. For instance, my...
That scoring doesn't necessarily mean every guy had their fastest on the Honda, but it had the overall lowest scores in those categories. For instance, my fastest times and segments weren't on the Honda.
Yeah I know but from how I read it most people were faster on the honda. They have been copping some flack for a few years now. I have one and I had a guy telling me a few days ago that they are to slow and not worth buying (even though I can beat him on his RMZ450). Its a good piece to include and it would be great if it was included in the future.

This year Australiasian Dirt Bike mag included each test riders fastest lap times in their 450 shootout and a few of them had it on the Honda as well, but in their comments on the bike they said the Honda needed more HP. Is HP overrated?
YZ125H1
1/5/2016 5:02pm
Yeah I know but from how I read it most people were faster on the honda. They have been copping some flack for a few years...
Yeah I know but from how I read it most people were faster on the honda. They have been copping some flack for a few years now. I have one and I had a guy telling me a few days ago that they are to slow and not worth buying (even though I can beat him on his RMZ450). Its a good piece to include and it would be great if it was included in the future.

This year Australiasian Dirt Bike mag included each test riders fastest lap times in their 450 shootout and a few of them had it on the Honda as well, but in their comments on the bike they said the Honda needed more HP. Is HP overrated?
HP is only a big deal on the 125 and 250f IMO.
1/5/2016 5:21pm
just James wrote:
x2, after all they are legal in every 250cc four stroke class except American SX and pro outdoors.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/5/2016 5:33pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2016 5:33pm
just James wrote:
x2, after all they are legal in every 250cc four stroke class except American SX and pro outdoors.
I can't add them in... I don't want to be burned at the stake when I rank most of the 250Fs above the two-strokes...Laughing
kiwifan
1/5/2016 5:36pm
just James wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I can't add them in... I don't want to be burned at the stake when I rank most of the 250Fs above the two-strokes...Laughing
lmfao nice comeback !!!!
Dsigner
1/5/2016 5:40pm
The 2 new Suzuki 250 teams have their work cut out for them.
kiwifan
1/5/2016 5:44pm
Yeah I know but from how I read it most people were faster on the honda. They have been copping some flack for a few years...

From being a past Honda owner HP is overrated in reviews for the 450's as said above you could be cynical and say it is used to favour others...but I won a lot of races (even before I did add some HP) on the Honda and HP was never a major issue except on the sandiest of tracks. Even then the Hondas do respond well to hop ups, so getting a lot of HP out of them is not hard at all, should they come with high HP as standard is a debate not meant for this thread.

I decided not to hop up my Kawasaki this season (except for aftermarket exhaust), yes it puts out less than what my Honda did (when hopped up) but its still wins races for me.

Back to the thread discussion....The combination of suspension and handling is, in my opinion, much more important. Perhaps the lap times for the Honda 250F back that up perfectly?

Perhaps Hondas feel slow to riders/testers because they do not have a major top end rush so therefore you THINK its slow and therefore you THINK you are slower ...its a trap!!!! lol

Then again what do I know I am only a washed up Pro lol *wink*
1/5/2016 5:55pm

kiwifan wrote:
From being a past Honda owner HP is overrated in reviews for the 450's as said above you could be cynical and say it is used...
From being a past Honda owner HP is overrated in reviews for the 450's as said above you could be cynical and say it is used to favour others...but I won a lot of races (even before I did add some HP) on the Honda and HP was never a major issue except on the sandiest of tracks. Even then the Hondas do respond well to hop ups, so getting a lot of HP out of them is not hard at all, should they come with high HP as standard is a debate not meant for this thread.

I decided not to hop up my Kawasaki this season (except for aftermarket exhaust), yes it puts out less than what my Honda did (when hopped up) but its still wins races for me.

Back to the thread discussion....The combination of suspension and handling is, in my opinion, much more important. Perhaps the lap times for the Honda 250F back that up perfectly?

Perhaps Hondas feel slow to riders/testers because they do not have a major top end rush so therefore you THINK its slow and therefore you THINK you are slower ...its a trap!!!! lol

Then again what do I know I am only a washed up Pro lol *wink*
I agree, I like the data acquisition section. Its a great guide because it includes no biased opinions.
Nom DeGuerre
1/5/2016 6:02pm
Basically this tells me to stay away from yellow? Some other consistent bikes as well, but is another case of pick a colour?
1/5/2016 6:26pm
ML512 wrote:
Convincing argument for equivalence in the US pro series. Wink
ginger969
1/5/2016 6:36pm
Is this the first shootout posted for 2016 250fs?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/5/2016 6:48pm
Convincing argument for equivalence in the US pro series. Wink
250 two-strokes are faster in my opinion but I prefer four-strokes.. that's all that proves.. Laughing
just James
1/5/2016 6:48pm
ML512 wrote:
Yeah, I like 2 strokes, but it really wouldn't bother me to see them finish behind some of the others, if that happened. Just think it would be cool to find out how they really compare, when all of the bikes are totally stock, and with a variety of riders.

Probably bad form to embarrass the "royal family" though.
1/5/2016 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2016 8:11pm
Well done shootout even if some bikes were left out. Smile Still surprised to see how different the KTM and Husky are IRL.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
1/5/2016 8:39pm
Well done shootout even if some bikes were left out. Smile Still surprised to see how different the KTM and Husky are IRL.
In my opinion, no bikes were left out... Tongue

Post a reply to: Vital MX 250 Shootout is up...

The Latest