(*)Vital 2 Stroke Community ain't helping the cause...

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 3/23/2015 9:53am
Yesterday, while out riding, I had a talk with a young man that's an accomplished rider, tester, photographer and writer. He IS a fan of 2-Strokes. As am I. I've got a KX500SR stashed in my office that is simply Awesome and I have a '78-'79 CR250R (FIM-RC conversion) that's kinda silly cool, too (Thanks Newman!).

We were talking about New Bikes, Homologation, the Rules for the Nationals & SX...etc.

We got back to the discussion of 2-storkes and the people responsible for/promoting/making them at the OEM's... namely the ones that make current 2-strokes...and how the sales aren't in tune with what is "said" on the forums.

The most notable issue: The number of units sold and the needs for homologation (400). You know those "$1000 off KTM 2-Strokes"? Those hold-over YZ's standing right next to the New '15s on the showroom floor? Well, those are indicative of the simple fact that they AREN'T moving in the numbers that some people think.

That means people AREN'T BUYING THEM.

So, to revisit the obvious:

1. You can't homologate without a certain number of units.
2. You can't get the company to allow you to import a bunch of '15s when there's still plenty of '14s in Inventory (The dilemma for the guys at Yamaha and KTM, USA that're fighting for YOUR cause)
3. 4-Strokes are winning; because, that's what people ARE BUYING.
4. Better sales would fund MORE R&D. Period.
5. Where's all the "I put my money where my mouth is!"?

If you're going to scream about some sort of conspiracy?
If you're going to blame the OEMS?
If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

* "Vital 2 Stroke Community " is utilized due to the simple fact that this is the home of the Vital 2-Stroke crowd, you know: The guys that've thrown everyone and everything UNDER THE BUS...from the AMA, MX Sports, Honda to the companies that're still making the bikes in question.
|
moto0852
3/20/2015 9:16am
TeamGreen wrote:
Yesterday, while out riding, I had a talk with a young man that's an accomplished rider, tester, photographer and writer. He IS a fan of 2-Strokes...
Yesterday, while out riding, I had a talk with a young man that's an accomplished rider, tester, photographer and writer. He IS a fan of 2-Strokes. As am I. I've got a KX500SR stashed in my office that is simply Awesome and I have a '78-'79 CR250R (FIM-RC conversion) that's kinda silly cool, too (Thanks Newman!).

We were talking about New Bikes, Homologation, the Rules for the Nationals & SX...etc.

We got back to the discussion of 2-storkes and the people responsible for/promoting/making them at the OEM's... namely the ones that make current 2-strokes...and how the sales aren't in tune with what is "said" on the forums.

The most notable issue: The number of units sold and the needs for homologation (400). You know those "$1000 off KTM 2-Strokes"? Those hold-over YZ's standing right next to the New '15s on the showroom floor? Well, those are indicative of the simple fact that they AREN'T moving in the numbers that some people think.

2. You can't get the company to allow you to import a bunch of '15s when there's still plenty of '14s in Inventory (The dilemma for the guys at Yamaha and KTM, USA that're fighting for YOUR cause)

If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

* "Vital 2 Stroke Community " is utilized due to the simple fact that this is the home of the Vital 2-Stroke crowd, you know: The guys that've thrown everyone and everything UNDER THE BUS...from the AMA, MX Sports, Honda to the companies that're still making the bikes in question.
All good points... I think KTM's numbers skew the view. KTM is selling all the 2 strokes they can make and those sales are growing however...KTM is so small in comparison to the other brands and the overall market it's a drop in the bucket. Also, as noted...it's tough to sell stuff that's not being made. It's a four stroke showroom out there anymore.
Suns_PSD
3/20/2015 9:21am
I've bought two new 2 strokes but I'm just one guy. I do often see new KTM 2 strokes at my local track, but maybe I just notice the few because that is what I ride?

Vital is an enthusiast forum so it's going to lean 2 stroke, but a poll that simply asked how many new mx bikes you have bought in the last 4 years and how many were 2 or 4 strokes would tell us a lot. I'm sure the 4 strokes way outnumber the 2 strokes by a huge amount.
moto0852
3/20/2015 9:22am
Oh just to add to another thought. I was at a local Kawi / Yamaha dealer yesterday looking for a bike for my son and I overhear a customer talking to the sales guy. " I'm looking for something a little cheaper than these 450's." Salesman- "Really your only choice would be to buy used or go back to the old, lesser technology two strokes"

Had to laugh at that one.
philG
3/20/2015 9:27am
The beauty of a 2 stroke is that you dont need a new one , because it isnt a grenade waiting to go off... if you have a low hours 250 2T of any sort , the smart money goes on hop ups and suspension , because its never going to cost $2500 to fix .

What is happening , is that guys that dont have $7k to lay out on a new bike are buying old stuff and putting money in when they can.... making it affordable.

The Shop

cslacker
3/20/2015 9:28am
TeamGreen wrote:
Yesterday, while out riding, I had a talk with a young man that's an accomplished rider, tester, photographer and writer. He IS a fan of 2-Strokes...

If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

KTM 250SX (13-15) and Husky TC250 are both homologated for their 2015 models... therefore you must be talking about Yamaha. Please name 1 mx bike in history that has sold well that has no updates for 10 years? I wonder how many 2015 air boxes and plastic kits Yamaha has sold vs 2015 YZ's? That's the route everyone I know went. Unless you build a bike that motivates people to want it more than what they have you will not sell it en masse. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
3/20/2015 9:29am
TeamGreen wrote:

If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

So only people who are in the new bike market are allowed to have an opinion on rules in pro racing?
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/20/2015 9:33am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 9:35am
Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread?

This isn't a simple sales number issue. It runs deeper since pro sanctioned races went the direction of giving 4-strokes an advantage which in turn made teams spend more and people spend more (since they want to emulate the pros, or they are an up and coming rider who won't be taken seriously unless they are on a 4-stroke to some day go "pro")
cslacker
3/20/2015 9:34am
seth505 wrote:
Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread? This isn't a simple sales number issue. It runs...
Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread?

This isn't a simple sales number issue. It runs deeper since pro sanctioned races went the direction of giving 4-strokes an advantage which in turn made teams spend more and people spend more (since they want to emulate the pros, or they are an up and coming rider who won't be taken seriously unless they are on a 4-stroke to some day go "pro")
Yes because only those with massive amounts of disposable income are allowed to have an opinion.
3/20/2015 9:40am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 9:43am
Quick look on ebay and the new YZ 250 is listed at around £6,400! That's a huge amount of money for what is basically a toy for most of us, especially in these very difficult times. Scan a bit further down and you can pick up something practically as good (and arguably just AS good after one ride) for perhaps a 1/4 of the price because, as already stated, there's very little risk comparatively in buying a second hand smoker.
TailSoHard
3/20/2015 9:49am
Be careful that you don't get your tunnel vision focused solely on the motocross industry either. KTM sells a shit ton of off-road 2-strokes (I don't know for a fact, but I would guess they sell more 2-stroke XC's than 4-stroke XC's cause that's all I see at offroad races around here).

Take a look at the snowmobile industry? Polaris used to make fourstroke sleds but abandoned the technology because they got their two-stroke fuel-injected motors to the point where it was as fast, as environmentally friendly, as reliable, and as fuel efficient as the four-strokes. And they weigh 50 pounds less! The two-stroke 800cc motor is still the engine of choice for people looking for sleds, so it's not out of the question that the two-stroke technology could make a comeback in this industry as well.

Like the OP said, all it takes is more people asking for two-strokes than are asking for fours. Unfortunately, just like you'll never talk some people into driving a stick-shift car (or vice-versa), you'll never talk some people into buying a two-stroke.
Fearo
3/20/2015 9:49am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 9:50am
The fact that there are leftover KTM 2-strokes at dealers is simply because KTM has upped the production over these last few years to meet the demand.

I remember for the 2013 model, the SX250 was sold out in the US by october 2012 or something like that. Some people paid 8k+ happily and drove halfway around your country just to get one of these bikes. Since then, KTM has upped the production and yeah, now you will see the odd leftover 2-stroke sitting at a dealer floor, especially now because there are Husky's available as well. But please don't kid yourselves, the amount of unsold 4-strokes has no comparison to that of the 2-strokes.
TailSoHard
3/20/2015 9:51am
seth505 wrote:
Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread? This isn't a simple sales number issue. It runs...

cslacker wrote:
Yes because only those with massive amounts of disposable income are allowed to have an opinion.
Everyone is "allowed" to have an opinion, but the "opinion" of someone buying a bike will carry more weight than someone who is simply saying what they want on a forum.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
3/20/2015 9:52am
cslacker wrote:
KTM 250SX (13-15) and Husky TC250 are both homologated for their 2015 models... therefore you must be talking about Yamaha. Please name 1 mx bike in...
KTM 250SX (13-15) and Husky TC250 are both homologated for their 2015 models... therefore you must be talking about Yamaha. Please name 1 mx bike in history that has sold well that has no updates for 10 years? I wonder how many 2015 air boxes and plastic kits Yamaha has sold vs 2015 YZ's? That's the route everyone I know went. Unless you build a bike that motivates people to want it more than what they have you will not sell it en masse. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Even in KTM or Husqvarna's case, they aren't selling out, and they have a lot more left over than you'd expect every year.

As much as people can say they want them, or even sales reps and other managers ask for updates, you're dealing with number guys at manufactures that decide where budget does. This how they look at it:

R&D "We want more money to make upgrades to this 2-stroke"

Budget guys "How many are we selling vs our other models?"

Some analytic guy "For the 250 2-stroke, we made XXX amount and we still have X amount leftover at the end of the year. For the 450 4-stroke, we made XXXXX amount and had X amount leftover."

Budget guys "Hmmm, what happened to people asking for more 2-strokes?"

Analytic guy "They're buying them from Craigslist"

Budget guys "Okay, budget for 4-stroke development will be XXXXXXX, 2-stroke will be X."
3/20/2015 9:53am
TeamGreen wrote:

If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

done.

3/20/2015 9:56am
There is the factor that is you buy a new YZ250 stroke you are buying a bike that hasn't been updated in years and years. There is much less incentive to buy a new bike with no development going on.

KTM is of course more updated, but it seems they started from behind. I've never heard anything about the new KTMs blowing away the YZ.
TeamGreen
3/20/2015 10:02am
Take a look at some of the stuff posted in the responses...

"Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread?"

"So only people who are in the new bike market are allowed to have an opinion on rules in pro racing?"

"Yes because only those with massive amounts of disposable income are allowed to have an opinion."

The usual snide and "us-n-them" crap we hear from you guys. Better, yet, is the personal implications of my intent, thanks, to which you guys are welcome to "EABOBOD". Silly

Address the point; if, you will: There are OEM's that're fulfilling the need AND are still developing, albeit -slowly-, new 2T technology. Better sales would incentivize better development.

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
3/20/2015 10:02am
There is the factor that is you buy a new YZ250 stroke you are buying a bike that hasn't been updated in years and years. There...
There is the factor that is you buy a new YZ250 stroke you are buying a bike that hasn't been updated in years and years. There is much less incentive to buy a new bike with no development going on.

KTM is of course more updated, but it seems they started from behind. I've never heard anything about the new KTMs blowing away the YZ.
This - why rush out to buy a 2015 YZ when it's basically the same since 2005. Same with KTM, hasn't changed except BNG since 2012. "IF" KTM rumors are true and the '16 250SX is all new I'm sure you will see higher sales numbers for this bike. Also, talk to your friends at KTM or Husky and bring back the 200SX, I would put my money down on one, especially if it comes in the new frame for '16.
Stooperbike
3/20/2015 10:03am
What is it your asking people to do? You want people to spend serious money so we see a pro qualify for a national on a 2stroke? If I have 8k around I am going to put it down on a new camper. I have a couple of 2 strokes, 2002 cr250 and a 2003 CR125. I love them both, together to buy them I spent less than 2k. To get them into tip top shape I spent maybe another 2.5 k. So for 4.5k I got 2 really nice bikes. I race the 40+ plus class and do fine. So there is zero motivation to buy a new 2 stroke, because it wont be much better than what I have now. And even it if is, I wont go any faster. There are many many guys in my situation in all ages, I love the 2 stroke but its just not a priority to buy a new one.
TeamGreen
3/20/2015 10:05am
TeamGreen wrote:

If you've got a point?

PROVE IT. Buy SOMETHING.

Bring'em Back!

done. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/03/20/84405/s1200_20150207_192649.jpg[/img]
done.

Nice.

He get's it.

I don't know about the yellow spokes...but...

I'll bet it's really easy to spot your bike on the track!

Really nice scoot!
Trav138
3/20/2015 10:11am
What was the number of units sold by manufactuers 2 and 4 stroke? Did you get into specifics with your insider buddy or was this just a general estimate. I see plenty of KTM 2 strokes, new yz s not so much. Total mx bike sales have to be way down. Local mx racing here in PA is on life support with small tiny classes. I don't think the country is selling many mx bikes in general. Maybe in CA and FL where you ride year round? So companies are not going to push something that will interfere with selling their new 9k pride and joy just my opinion.
3/20/2015 10:13am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 10:16am
My MX mates are still buying 4T's but all my off road riding mates are buying new 2T's. Mostly Beta's, KTM's and Husky's. There's one 4T rider left in our group and he's eyeing off a new Husky or Beta ATM. 2 of us have bought older 2T MX'ers for off road/woods. In my case I bought a new 4T to use as a roller for an AF build. Then spent 7K on a 144cc 2T engine to put in it.
There are a lot of Sherco 300 2T's getting around ATM as well. I don't think we even have a local dealer for those.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/20/2015 10:13am
Who wants to buy this so I can lose a bunch of money and buy another brand new one (pretty much same bike) just so I can make a point? Silly

Toste
Fantasy
794th
3/20/2015 10:14am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 10:15am
TeamGreen wrote:
Take a look at some of the stuff posted in the responses... "Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the...

"Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the fuck up" thread?"

"So only people who are in the new bike market are allowed to have an opinion on rules in pro racing?"

"Yes because only those with massive amounts of disposable income are allowed to have an opinion."

The usual snide and "us-n-them" crap we hear from you guys. Better, yet, is the personal implications of my intent, thanks, to which you guys are welcome to "EABOBOD". Silly

Address the point; if, you will: There are OEM's that're fulfilling the need AND are still developing, albeit -slowly-, new 2T technology. Better sales would incentivize better development.

Your "point" seems to be a moving target. In the OP you mentioned rules about pro racing, but now you're on about bike development.

Are you going to answer my question or just use it to build your strawman? I'll go a step further, what about the thousands of fans who don't even ride (anymore)?
TeamGreen
3/20/2015 10:16am
What is it your asking people to do? You want people to spend serious money so we see a pro qualify for a national on a...
What is it your asking people to do? You want people to spend serious money so we see a pro qualify for a national on a 2stroke? If I have 8k around I am going to put it down on a new camper. I have a couple of 2 strokes, 2002 cr250 and a 2003 CR125. I love them both, together to buy them I spent less than 2k. To get them into tip top shape I spent maybe another 2.5 k. So for 4.5k I got 2 really nice bikes. I race the 40+ plus class and do fine. So there is zero motivation to buy a new 2 stroke, because it wont be much better than what I have now. And even it if is, I wont go any faster. There are many many guys in my situation in all ages, I love the 2 stroke but its just not a priority to buy a new one.
And, that's fine; but, yours is the reality of the 2-Stroke crowd "en masse" and it flies in he face of the claims made by the crowd when they're arguing about he issue of how & why 2 strokes got left behind.

Others have made the point about the KTM 2T "off-road" bikes...and. it's true: They're are A LOT of them!

Note: 2T Models that're homologated for 2015, as I understand it, are just "barely" making it in by the number. Husky knows they could have sold quite a bit more; but, didn't have the capacity to get them done on time...so...to be fair...

So, There's always that!

Btw, the guy that runs Husky, in Europe, you know...The Company? He's very Moto and he's been known to walk out on a GNCC course and "take it all in". Saw him in Florida during Daytona Bike Week...the dude is all about the bikes...from MX to Enduro to Desert...From Dual-Sport to Adventure...
Darryl916
3/20/2015 10:17am
I get the point of the OP and all the other "speak with your wallet" stuff but here is where I stand...

My smoker is a 2007. It's a 2007 because

1. it cost me $2500 and is as good as any other 250 2 stroke available new for 6k.
2. other than cheap to rebuild the motor, it's not a better bike to race.
- it's harder to ride
- less forgiving
- harder to jump
- not as competitive in a class full of 4 stroke as another 4 stroke which is easier to ride fast in more situations

I love 2 strokes as much as anyone else as they are super fun and such, but I must admit technology has moved forward. 4 strokes are so much more tractable and so much easier to ride with such broad power.

The only way 2 strokes will come back main stream in MX and SX is if a sanctioning body forces it. And I don't see them doing that, because why would they? The sport is bigger than it ever has been. I'm not going to stop racing until 2 strokes come back and neither is anyone else. We are all going to buy a 4 stroke because it's what is most effective against other 4 strokes and life will go on. Period, end of discussion.
Darryl916
3/20/2015 10:18am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 10:19am
seth505 wrote:
Who wants to buy this so I can lose a bunch of money and buy another brand new one (pretty much same bike) just so I...
Who wants to buy this so I can lose a bunch of money and buy another brand new one (pretty much same bike) just so I can make a point? Silly

1...2...3 Not it

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/20/2015 10:21am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 10:21am
TeamGreen wrote:
And, that's fine; but, yours is the reality of the 2-Stroke crowd "en masse" and it flies in he face of the claims made by the...
And, that's fine; but, yours is the reality of the 2-Stroke crowd "en masse" and it flies in he face of the claims made by the crowd when they're arguing about he issue of how & why 2 strokes got left behind.

Others have made the point about the KTM 2T "off-road" bikes...and. it's true: They're are A LOT of them!

Note: 2T Models that're homologated for 2015, as I understand it, are just "barely" making it in by the number. Husky knows they could have sold quite a bit more; but, didn't have the capacity to get them done on time...so...to be fair...

So, There's always that!

Btw, the guy that runs Husky, in Europe, you know...The Company? He's very Moto and he's been known to walk out on a GNCC course and "take it all in". Saw him in Florida during Daytona Bike Week...the dude is all about the bikes...from MX to Enduro to Desert...From Dual-Sport to Adventure...
You're a smart dude and obviously way more in the know than the average person here...You don't really think current sales numbers have anything to do with "how and why the 2 strokes got left behind" do you?

Darryl :p
TeamGreen
3/20/2015 10:23am
TeamGreen wrote:
Take a look at some of the stuff posted in the responses... "Is this another "buy a brand new 2-stroke every 6 months or shut the...

Toste wrote:
Your "point" seems to be a moving target. In the OP you mentioned rules about pro racing, but now you're on about bike development. Are you...
Your "point" seems to be a moving target. In the OP you mentioned rules about pro racing, but now you're on about bike development.

Are you going to answer my question or just use it to build your strawman? I'll go a step further, what about the thousands of fans who don't even ride (anymore)?
Your "Point" is abstract and I never implied what you're saying...

Sales enables Homologation (See the rules on this/qty's req'd; hence, the implication)
Sales empowers the OEM's to secure R&D, the point made above by ML512.
A strong market creates demand.
Demand breeds competition among the OEMs.

Build Demand.

Again, you guys and your Debbie Downer Negativity "ain't helping".

So, this is where you come in with your "a 250 is a 250! No matter what kind of 250 it is!"

Good

Luck

With

That

Markopolo400
3/20/2015 10:24am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2015 10:28am
2-strokes are awesome.

When I bought my bike last spring, I had remembered how hard it was to find a 2013 250SX anywhere, KTM must have upped the production volume to reflect this, because when I bought my bike, my dealer had sold 25 2014 250SXs alone...

Oh and BTW, the sales thing isn't as instantaneous of a number as you would think. After KTM ships it to a dealer, to the KTM company, that is a sale. Dealers order what they think they can sell pre model year. The act of retail selling, and KTM selling are two different things.
cslacker
3/20/2015 10:27am
seth505 wrote:

cslacker wrote:
TailSoHard wrote:
Everyone is "allowed" to have an opinion, but the "opinion" of someone buying a bike will carry more weight than someone who is simply saying what...
Everyone is "allowed" to have an opinion, but the "opinion" of someone buying a bike will carry more weight than someone who is simply saying what they want on a forum.
My response was meant to be more sarcastic than serious... I'm just waiting for a bike that motivates me to separate with my money. That bike currently doesn't exist.

Post a reply to: (*)Vital 2 Stroke Community ain't helping the cause...

The Latest