Villopoto to lease WA track?

jrrundle
Saw this over on thumpertalk that Ryan Villopoto is in the process of taking over the lease for Straddleline ORV Park. Looks to be backed up by a recent interview with RacerX: http://racerxonline.com/2016/10/14/250-words-ryan-villopoto.

"Your buddy Tanner Ellingsen just told me you might be looking into taking possession of a racetrack up your way."

"There might be an opportunity of something coming up that we would be taking over a lease of a local place up near home that has the track, amenities, bathrooms, and an off-road side of it too. That might be something that interests me. And I’d get to run the dozer and do this and do that. It wouldn’t necessarily be solely the motorcycle side of it all. There is a lot more to it. It could be something just to kind of stay busy. It could be kind of fun to be around that. We’ll see."

The most recent lease holders did not renew the lease, so this would make sense and the timeline matches up well.
|
Wade221
11/18/2016 10:38am
I'm 15 minutes from Straddy, so this would be great! Add in The Ridge is about 20 minutes away, would be good times, for sure
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
11/18/2016 11:18am
Looks like a really nice place to ride.
MXR
11/18/2016 1:04pm
That's cool . I learned to ride there and will be taking the grandkid to ride , camp and race next year .

The Shop

mx510
Fantasy
1707th
11/18/2016 3:11pm
I hope he gets the lease. The main complaint I had from the previous lessee was they took away the peewee only track, and did not offer a peewee practice. My 4 year old was out there with 80s ( I followed directly behind him on my 450). The off road terrain out there is fun.
Tim507
11/18/2016 3:41pm
Straddleline is an awesome facility. I first rode there about 1970. Its backed up to the Capital Forest ORV land. Its county owned and the operator needs to have his own equipment or be prepared to use and pay the county for their equipment to include maintenance of the equipment.

From the stories I've heard rumbling about is that the previous operator failed in the county relationship.

I need to make the trek north next year to ride Straddleline, Ridge and the new track up near Bremerton

ufsx459
11/18/2016 10:26pm
Originally I had thought the track he was looking at leasing was Riverdale, but I am glad to hear that it is Straddleline. Awesome facility! Bummer that Promoto is essentially going away as a promoter, some good people in that team.
mark_swart
11/19/2016 7:36am
Hope this happens, the track was resurfaced with fresh dirt last year, it's a shame for it to sit closed. Yes, they really need to add a pee wee / beginner track so they don't have to split up so many practices.
I'm a half hour from the track. With it open, that means I have four tracks within an hour of me. And nine within two hours! When I moved here I never expected the PNW to be so big into motocross, but this is pretty great!
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
11/19/2016 8:57am
Villopoto loves driving tractors around and such, but when I ask him for a little help with my driveway - all of a sudden he's too busy...
ob
11/19/2016 10:02am
Did they get all the gravel off the track? It's weird that Seattle such a huge town has about 0 good motocross tracks. Close buy anyways.
11/19/2016 10:04am
mx510 wrote:
I hope he gets the lease. The main complaint I had from the previous lessee was they took away the peewee only track, and did not...
I hope he gets the lease. The main complaint I had from the previous lessee was they took away the peewee only track, and did not offer a peewee practice. My 4 year old was out there with 80s ( I followed directly behind him on my 450). The off road terrain out there is fun.
yes, not sure why no pee wee track was available as of late. Must say, the main track renovations were outstanding though!!
11/19/2016 10:08am
ob wrote:
Did they get all the gravel off the track? It's weird that Seattle such a huge town has about 0 good motocross tracks. Close buy anyways.
Tell me about it.

My commute:
Straddleline = 1 hour 20 minutes each way.
Horn Rapids = 3 hours each way
Washougal = 3 hours each way
Woodland = 2.45 hours each way
The Ridge = 1 hour 30 minutes each way
Pacific Raceway = 20 minutes, but not frequently open for practice

Just a few, but you get the point. All of these times are without traffic constraints... add a back up or two in there and you are screwed.
ctbale
11/19/2016 10:32am
mark_swart wrote:
Hope this happens, the track was resurfaced with fresh dirt last year, it's a shame for it to sit closed. Yes, they really need to add...
Hope this happens, the track was resurfaced with fresh dirt last year, it's a shame for it to sit closed. Yes, they really need to add a pee wee / beginner track so they don't have to split up so many practices.
I'm a half hour from the track. With it open, that means I have four tracks within an hour of me. And nine within two hours! When I moved here I never expected the PNW to be so big into motocross, but this is pretty great!
Looking to relocate to a place with MX tracks nearby, what area do you live?
ob
11/19/2016 10:43am
ob wrote:
Landshark wrote:
Tell me about it. My commute: Straddleline = 1 hour 20 minutes each way. Horn Rapids = 3 hours each way Washougal = 3 hours each...
Tell me about it.

My commute:
Straddleline = 1 hour 20 minutes each way.
Horn Rapids = 3 hours each way
Washougal = 3 hours each way
Woodland = 2.45 hours each way
The Ridge = 1 hour 30 minutes each way
Pacific Raceway = 20 minutes, but not frequently open for practice

Just a few, but you get the point. All of these times are without traffic constraints... add a back up or two in there and you are screwed.
Well you mentioned three (good) mx tracks in your list. 3 hours is to far to do on a cosistant basis. Seattle really needs something good for you guys up there In the PNW, probably cut down on the suicides. Sorry bad joke
mark_swart
11/19/2016 11:28am
mark_swart wrote:
Hope this happens, the track was resurfaced with fresh dirt last year, it's a shame for it to sit closed. Yes, they really need to add...
ctbale wrote:
Looking to relocate to a place with MX tracks nearby, what area do you live?
I live in DuPont - but anywhere around Olympia would put you a bit closer to most of them. Pacific Raceways is really the only thing North, Motowest and Port Angeles are across the sound from me but from Olympia you could just go up the Peninsula. Where are you moving from? Be warned....you will have to embrace mud here six months a year, but there is an indoor series with rounds near Seattle and in the eastern part of the state. I've been doing winter vintage down at Woodland, they have a modern winter series too.
Wade221
11/19/2016 11:37am
mark_swart wrote:
I live in DuPont - but anywhere around Olympia would put you a bit closer to most of them. Pacific Raceways is really the only thing...
I live in DuPont - but anywhere around Olympia would put you a bit closer to most of them. Pacific Raceways is really the only thing North, Motowest and Port Angeles are across the sound from me but from Olympia you could just go up the Peninsula. Where are you moving from? Be warned....you will have to embrace mud here six months a year, but there is an indoor series with rounds near Seattle and in the eastern part of the state. I've been doing winter vintage down at Woodland, they have a modern winter series too.
I hate mud.. and cold!
jeffro503
11/19/2016 11:40am
Never been to straddleline before , and do want to try it out. You guys keep mentioning Burnt Ridge....are they thinking of re-opening it? Last I heard Nick and his dad shut it down. I loved that place! Bummed me out when they closed it down.
Wade221
11/19/2016 11:42am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 11:52am
The Ridge in Shelton. Not Burnt Ridge

Long standing car circuit facility that just added an MX track for open practice a few weeks ago
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
11/19/2016 12:16pm
Off topic, but I wonder if Burnt Ridge ended up selling or if the Foisters hung on to it. That place was so fun.
NHtoWA421
11/19/2016 1:03pm
You work downtown? If so, look into relocating across the water. PA, motowest, ridge, tahuya, straddleline?, capitol forest, all within an hour of bremerton area. A bunch of us also pop over to pacific for Friday racing. Traffic is pretty ta me going that direction in the afternoon.
MXR
11/19/2016 1:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2016 1:36pm
You can ride about 100 miles of orv trails in Capital Forest from Straddeline Cycle Park .

Post a reply to: Villopoto to lease WA track?

The Latest