Villopoto Races into Cowboys Stadium with Two-Race Win Streak

PR
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 11:39pm
Villopoto Races into Cowboys Stadium with Two-Race Win Streak
Pourcel Carries AMA Supercross Lites Class Points Lead into Supercross Debut from Arlington

AURORA, Ill. (March 15, 2010) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., brings a two-race win streak into the inaugural Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race at the new Cowboys Stadium this Saturday. Defending Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class champion Christophe Pourcel, of Groveland, Fla., carries a seven-point lead into Saturday night over Rockstar/Makita/Suzuki’s Austin Stroupe, of Lincolnton, N.C.

Monster Energy Supercross has a storied history in the Dallas-Fort Worth area with the first-ever AMA Supercross race held in Dallas on March 1, 1975. From 1983-2008, Texas Stadium hosted 26 consecutive Monster Energy Supercross races and is regarded as one of the sport’s most historic markets having hosted races in four different decades.

Last weekend during Monster Energy Supercross’ lone visit outside the United States at Toronto’s Rogers Centre, Villopoto raced to his fifth win of the 2010 season while GEICO Powersports Honda’s Justin Barcia, of Ochlocknee, Ga., captured the AMA Supercross Lites checkered flag for his first-career victory. Villopoto and Barcia led every lap in their respective classes.

“I really wouldn’t be in this position without all of my team and everyone involved,” said Villopoto. “The last couple weeks we’ve been on it and it’s what we need to do. (The racing is) close and it’s been tough. I need to make up ground and I got to make those passes quick. I (also) need to keep getting good starts.”

Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., finished second in the AMA Supercross class main event and holds down a 17-point lead in the championship.

After dominating the first three Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class races, Pourcel finished third in Toronto, allowing Barcia to become just the second different winner in the East Region this season.

“(This win) means everything to me,” exclaimed Barcia. “I really want to thank my Mom and Dad and my team, GEICO Powersports Honda. All these fans here were cheering me on so thanks a lot to everyone. It’s an incredible feeling, I’ve been trying so hard all year. This definitely ranks at the top of my list as far as accomplishments and I feel so lucky to have such a great team behind me.”

During the last Monster Energy Supercross race from Dallas in 2008, Chad Reed, of Tampa, Fla., picked up his eighth win of the season at Texas Stadium. Villopoto stood atop the podium for the AMA Supercross Lites class main event.

Kawasaki’s Travis Preston, of Hesperia, Calif., won the holeshot but it was the Yamaha’s of Reed and Josh Hill, of Carlsbad, Calif., who took over the top two positions on lap two.

With Reed slowly pulling away, the battle was left to Hill and Honda Red Bull Racing’s Davi Millsaps, of Murrieta, Calif., and Kevin Windham, of Centreville, Miss. The trio would battle to the finish with Hill taking second and Millsaps edging out Windham for third.

The win was Reed’s fourth at Texas Stadium and the 34th AMA Supercross victory of his career.

“I feel like I’ve given a lot of wins away this year so I just wanted to go out here and put in a good ride,” said Reed. “I tried to get to the front as quick as possible and let those guys fight it out. This was a track that you had to stay on your toes and watch to not make mistakes.”

That season, Reed became the first rider in history to earn four wins in Dallas. Former AMA Supercross class champion Ricky Johnson is second on the all-time win list in Dallas with three. The AMA Supercross Lites class began racing in Dallas on May 4, 1985 where Suzuki rider Bobby Moore grabbed the victory. Villopoto, Grant Langston and Jeremy McGrath are the only riders to win Dallas twice in the Lites class.

SPEED will broadcast the Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites class at 5:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, March 21 and the AMA Supercross class at 6:00 p.m. EST.

AMA Supercross Class Results: Toronto
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
3. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
4. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda
6. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha
7. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
8. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki
9. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
10. Matt Boni, Geneva, Fla., Honda

AMA Supercross Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 214
2. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 197
3. Josh Hill, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha, 177
4. Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Honda, 152
5. Kevin Windham, Centerville, Miss., Honda, 147
6. Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 136
7. Ivan Tedesco, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 135
8. Nick Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki, 113
9. Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 92
10. Tommy Hahn, Alvord, Texas, Suzuki, 89

Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Results: Toronto
1. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki
3. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki
4. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha
6. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda
7. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda
8. Troy Adams, Homosassa, Fla., Suzuki
9. Mike Willard, Newark, Ohio, Honda
10. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha

Eastern Regional AMA Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
1. Christophe Pourcel, Groveland, Fla., Kawasaki, 95
2. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Suzuki, 88
3. Dean Wilson, San Jacinto, Calif., Kawasaki, 71
4. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda, 65
5. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 64
6. Ryan Sipes, Vine Grove, Ky., Yamaha, 55
7. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Suzuki, 46
8. Nico Izzi, Albany, Ga., Yamaha, 41
9. Kyle Cunningham, Fort Worth, Texas, Honda, 40
10. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., 39

Past AMA Supercross Class Winners in Dallas
April 5, 2008: Chad Reed
March 31, 2007: James Stewart
March 22, 2006: Chad Reed
April 2, 2005: James Stewart
April 17, 2004: Chad Reed
April 12, 2003: Chad Reed
April 20, 2002: Ricky Carmichael
April 21, 2001: Ricky Carmichael
April 08, 2000: Kevin Windham
February 27, 1999: Kevin Windham
April 25, 1998: Ezra Lusk
April 26, 1997: Jeff Emig
March 23, 1996: Jeremy McGrath
April 29, 1995: Doug Henry
April 23, 1994: Mike LaRocco
March 28, 1993: Jeremy McGrath
May 30, 1992: Damon Bradshaw
April 27, 1991: Damon Bradshaw
April 07, 1990: Jean-Michel Bayle
April 01, 1989: Jeff Ward
April 16, 1988: Rick Johnson
April 04, 1987: Rick Johnson
April 26, 1986: David Bailey
May 04, 1985: Rick Johnson
April 14, 1984: Johnny O’ Mara
April 16, 1983: Mike Bell
March 26, 1977: Bob Hannah
March 19, 1976: Jim Ellis
February 28, 1975: Jim Ellis
March 01, 1975(b): Steve Stackable

Past AMA Supercross Lites Class Winners in Dallas
April 5, 2008: Ryan Villopoto
March 31, 2007: Ben Townley
March 22, 2006: Ryan Villopoto
April 2, 2005: Grant Langston
April 17, 2004: Ivan Tedesco
April 12, 2003: James Stewart Jr.
April 20, 2002: Travis Preston
April 21, 2001: Grant Langston
April 08, 2000: Greg Schnell
February 27, 1999: Nathan Ramsey
April 25, 1998: John Dowd
April 26, 1997: Kevin Windham
March 23, 1996: Mickael Pichon
April 29, 1995: Damon Huffman
April 23, 1994: Jimmy Button
March 28, 1993: Doug Henry
May 30, 1992: Jeremy McGrath
April 27, 1991: Jeremy McGrath
April 07, 1990: Denny Stephenson
April 01, 1989: Mike LaRocco
April 16, 1988: Ty Davis
April 04, 1987: Kyle Lewis
April 26, 1986: Keith Turpin
May 04, 1985: Bobby Moore

A season-long subscription to the official webcast of Monster Energy Supercross, Supercross LIVE®, is available for $39.99: http://www.supercrossonline.com/supercrosslive. Supercross LIVE® is the only weekly live Monster Energy Supercross race call, and features long time voices of supercross, Jason Weigandt and Jim Holley.

For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com.
|
Outsider
3/15/2010 2:58pm
Thanks PR!

Paul Rodriguez?

Pat Robertson?

Panty Raid?

Post a reply to: Villopoto Races into Cowboys Stadium with Two-Race Win Streak

The Latest