Villopoto MXGP 2015?

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2014 4:38pm
Rumours had already floated across from the USA that the Monster Kawasaki rider was increasingly tired of the demands of the AMA calendar - that can now reach up to 32 weekends of racing per year for the top elite - and would consider a season competing in the FIM series as early as 2015 and the last year of his contract with Kawasaki.
“He is obviously very interested in the European scene and it a multi-time champion in the U.S. I guess at a certain stage you re-assess your career and the toll of injuries and the long season over there,” offered Kawasaki Motor Europe Racing Manager Steve Guttridge when pressed on the idea of ‘RV’ making the switch to the Monster Energy Kawasaki Racing Team for MXGP. “I imagine he has earned his money and now it is about whether he wants another goal or wants to see things out in the U.S. and retire.”
Villopoto himself began the surge of momentum towards a Grand Prix attempt when he mentioned a willingness to try a campaign back in 2012 when he visited Bastogne and the GP of Belgium. “I think he is definitely interested in it,” added Guttridge, who frequently liaises with KMC in the U.S. and counterpart Reid Nordin. “Genuinely I don't know whether it would come down to money or to the passion. I do know he is a winner, so if he came here it would be to win.”
For Kawasaki it would mean some re-organisation of paperwork and resources but it would be hard to turn away arguably the fastest rider in the world and one of the most decorated.
Villopoto wrapped up his fourth consecutive title in the premier 450SX supercross category before electing to go under the knife to fix an ongoing problem with his knee. He was also a visitor to the Catalan round of MotoGP last weekend. “It would be stupid not to [make arrangements for RV in GPs],” says Guttridge. “Of course we would try to accommodate Ryan in Europe but as it stands he has a contract with Kawasaki U.S. Normally he would fulfil that. Until I get a call from the Americans saying ‘it is fine with us, look after Ryan’ then it is a rumour to me too.”
“If he would like to come to the world championship then it would be a fantastic opportunity to finish out a good career and be able to challenge the likes of Cairoli while they are both still at the top,” the British race boss added.

Article from Adam Wheeler.
|
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
6/18/2014 10:39am
I would love to see it happen. He, Dungey or Alessi are probably the only 3 Americans that would have any chance at a World title
Jt$
6/18/2014 10:41am
I will take bets on this not happening. Ever.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/18/2014 10:43am
I'd second that.
6/18/2014 10:44am
I would love to see this.

If I were RV, it would sound fairly appealing. A lot less pressure and he gets to see the world!

The Shop

ayearinmx
6/18/2014 10:46am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 10:48am
lesser people have been banned for using the thoughts of the Kawasaki Motor Europe Racing Manager as a reason for starting a thread...

pffff like, what exactly does that guy know?
Matthes
6/18/2014 10:57am
He's going to the GP because Thor pays him a lot of money and asked him to go. This stuff gets trudged up every year...and then when he's there someone will ask him and just like the "I'm racing the nationals" thing he'll say "Yeah, you never know.." and Euros go ape shit.

Rinse, repeat.
steven329
6/18/2014 10:58am
KennyT wrote:
I would love to see it happen. He, Dungey or Alessi are probably the only 3 Americans that would have any chance at a World title
Alessi? RV and Dungey should never be in the same category as Alessi.
peelout
6/18/2014 11:03am
i love how Ryan never said anything in that article, it was just other people saying it
mauidex
6/18/2014 11:04am
ALESSI............WORLD TITLE................PLEASE put the crack pipe down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandberm
6/18/2014 11:07am
Whats so bad about riding the GP's for one year at the end of your career?

-The intensity appears to be less.
- Looks like there are less riders on the gate at a lot of rounds
... both things that would seem to make racing the GPs a wee bit safer then the US nationals.
-You get to travel all over Europe and the world riding at tracks and seeing places you've never seen on somebody elses dime.

It isnt like its going to ruin his career and he would never be able to get another ride.

Matthes
6/18/2014 11:08am
Sandberm wrote:
Whats so bad about riding the GP's for one year at the end of your career? -The intensity appears to be less. - Looks like there...

... both things that would seem to make racing the GPs a wee bit safer then the US nationals.
-You get to travel all over Europe and the world riding at tracks and seeing places you've never seen on somebody elses dime.

It isnt like its going to ruin his career and he would never be able to get another ride.

Nothing wrong with it at all and this is coming from a guy that's been to 4-5 & all the MXDN. They're cool but RV is not going to move to Europe and race them.
6/18/2014 11:10am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 11:10am
Sandberm wrote:
Whats so bad about riding the GP's for one year at the end of your career? -The intensity appears to be less. - Looks like there...

What's so bad about racing one or two GP races? Not much, seems like a vacation although extremely unlikely.

A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing. He has the money, I don't see motivation to race the GP series at all. He's already considered the fastest in the world (european arguing that AC is fastest in 3,2,1....go)
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/18/2014 11:14am
KennyT wrote:
steven329 wrote:
Alessi? RV and Dungey should never be in the same category as Alessi.
Please don't poke the fanboy . . .
Sandberm
6/18/2014 11:21am
Sandberm wrote:

What's so bad about racing one or two GP races? Not much, seems like a vacation although extremely unlikely. A whole series? Well being on a...
What's so bad about racing one or two GP races? Not much, seems like a vacation although extremely unlikely.

A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing. He has the money, I don't see motivation to race the GP series at all. He's already considered the fastest in the world (european arguing that AC is fastest in 3,2,1....go)
"A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing."

Those are good things not bad! Quite often people site those reasons why not to do the GPs...I see it as a reason TO ride the GPs. Life's about continually experiencing news things and this would be a great opportunity.

As far as motivation, any great conquerer has to, from time to time, make war in far away lands just to bolster his ego. RV could be like the Ghengis Kahn of motocross.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/18/2014 11:23am
ayearinmx wrote:
lesser people have been banned for using the thoughts of the Kawasaki Motor Europe Racing Manager as a reason for starting a thread... pffff like, what...
lesser people have been banned for using the thoughts of the Kawasaki Motor Europe Racing Manager as a reason for starting a thread...

pffff like, what exactly does that guy know?
You're correct about Kongols being banned for a couple weeks. It was a combo of him suggesting that RV was racing the GP (anyone with a shred of common sense would know that was not going to happen), and calling Jimmy Albertson a sell-out for racing a KTM. Big mouth, little brain.

As for the future stuff? It makes for good fantasy material. The amount it costs to talk about having him race over there? Zero.
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:24am
Sandberm wrote:
"[i]A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing.[/i]" Those are good things not bad! Quite often...
"A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing."

Those are good things not bad! Quite often people site those reasons why not to do the GPs...I see it as a reason TO ride the GPs. Life's about continually experiencing news things and this would be a great opportunity.

As far as motivation, any great conquerer has to, from time to time, make war in far away lands just to bolster his ego. RV could be like the Ghengis Kahn of motocross.
We must have different desires in life, because I hope to God I'm never like Ghengis Kahn.
Sandberm
6/18/2014 11:27am
Sandberm wrote:
"[i]A whole series? Well being on a different continent, with different language, and different food is one thing.[/i]" Those are good things not bad! Quite often...

hvaughn88 wrote:
We must have different desires in life, because I hope to God I'm never like Ghengis Kahn.
Napolean, Alexander the Great, Hannibal, John Wayne,...take your pick
dowdie223
I don't see a problem with it, I actually think he should. What better way to end your career? Travel across all of Europe and race at a, what appears to be, lower intensity, no pressure to do good and he gets to see all of Europe. He'd also gets to answer all the Euros asking what would happen if riders like Dungey, Poto, etc. followed their GP circuit.
willie838
i'd love to see it. doubt it will happen though. Even with the full commitment of time that us schedule takes- you're still home weekly even if for a day or 2.

i think it's too late in the game for him to try to tackle all new courses, all new opponents and everything else that would come with this move- plus it could severely tarnish his legacy if he goes over there and struggles- which is the main reason carioli and herlings will never push themselves to come over to the US and test their mettle.
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:29am
dowdie223 wrote:
I don't see a problem with it, I actually think he should. What better way to end your career? Travel across all of Europe and race...
I don't see a problem with it, I actually think he should. What better way to end your career? Travel across all of Europe and race at a, what appears to be, lower intensity, no pressure to do good and he gets to see all of Europe. He'd also gets to answer all the Euros asking what would happen if riders like Dungey, Poto, etc. followed their GP circuit.
traveling to Europe sounds awesome, but why race to do it? He obviously is gonna have nothing but time once he retires, just go travel then, and not worry about racing.
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:33am
Sandberm wrote:
Haha, Interesting question: Napolean - too short. Alex the Great - too homo (no offense, just not my cup of tea), Hannibal - no explanation needed. John Wayne - Ya, i'll go with the Duke.
6/18/2014 11:36am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2014 11:37am
Sandberm wrote:

There's a risk to reputation and ego (I'm not having a dig at RV, it's human nature). If he goes to the GPs and does get beat - and believe me it's easily possible - then he's going to lose out, though he will also get a lot of credit for attempting it. But finishing anywhere but 1st would be seen as a disappointment by his (and some fans) crazily high standards. It's the same reason Tony and Jeffrey don't flippantly plan a National appearance without serious thought. Too much to lose. However with all that said, I agree that life is about experiencing new things and, despite everything Iv'e said, I do have a hunch that he's going to defy the odds and race at least one GP at some point before his career is over.
ayearinmx
6/18/2014 11:46am
there was some talk about it at Maggiora but i personally don't see it happening... although i shall certainly ask him at Teutschenthal, despite the possibility of making all the Euros go ape shit

i definitely find it funny that three media people have had to come out an tell everyone what BS it is though...
6/18/2014 11:46am
I'd love to see it myself. I can't think of any bigger motivation for an AMA champ than beating AC at his own game. That would answer a lot of questions. (So would losing to AC, come to think of it. Which I imagine would be fairly likely his first year.)

Anyway, with the growing distaste for RV among the common fans of the sport, this would be a good way to ease the hostility. Even if you're not an RV fan, you're pretty much going to want him to beat the Euro guys, and keep tabs on him and cheer for him.

Big boost for the GPs as well, most likely. Sounds like a win/win/win/win/win. The only 'lose' I can see is if Ryan doesn't think he can eventually win. And maybe in that regard he's looking more at Herlings than Cairoli.
Sandberm
6/18/2014 11:51am
-KTM
-Broc Glover

Drops the mic and walks off...THATS the way you do it folks.

I know a lot of motocross dads out there who were on the fence about naming their first born son either Broc or Ricky and they all told me that when Broc went to the GPs to end his career, he made the decision for them. Cool
6/18/2014 11:53am
Sandberm wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Haha, Interesting question: Napolean - too short. Alex the Great - too homo (no offense, just not my cup of tea), Hannibal - no explanation needed...
Haha, Interesting question: Napolean - too short. Alex the Great - too homo (no offense, just not my cup of tea), Hannibal - no explanation needed. John Wayne - Ya, i'll go with the Duke.
He meant Gacy.Cheerful
hvaughn88
6/18/2014 11:57am
Sandberm wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Haha, Interesting question: Napolean - too short. Alex the Great - too homo (no offense, just not my cup of tea), Hannibal - no explanation needed...
He meant Gacy.Cheerful
haha, well that changes everything - I effing hate clowns!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/18/2014 12:00pm
ayearinmx wrote:
there was some talk about it at Maggiora but i personally don't see it happening... although i shall certainly ask him at Teutschenthal, despite the possibility...
there was some talk about it at Maggiora but i personally don't see it happening... although i shall certainly ask him at Teutschenthal, despite the possibility of making all the Euros go ape shit

i definitely find it funny that three media people have had to come out an tell everyone what BS it is though...
It would be funnier if I told you what any GP-based rider was going to do.
ayearinmx
6/18/2014 12:07pm
GuyB wrote:
It would be funnier if I told you what any GP-based rider was going to do.
how's that Southwick GP working out?

seriously, i'd like to think i'd entertain the possibility of a lot of things happening in motocross... but for you, Jason and Steve to come out and rip apart the rumour within minutes of it "breaking"... as if the whole idea is absurd (which it will probably end up being) amused me
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/18/2014 12:10pm
ayearinmx wrote:
how's that Southwick GP working out? seriously, i'd like to think i'd entertain the possibility of a lot of things happening in motocross... but for you...
how's that Southwick GP working out?

seriously, i'd like to think i'd entertain the possibility of a lot of things happening in motocross... but for you, Jason and Steve to come out and rip apart the rumour within minutes of it "breaking"... as if the whole idea is absurd (which it will probably end up being) amused me
Beats me. But if you knew who I'd heard that rumor from, you might not question it as hard.

Lots of the stuff you do amuses me. I guess we're even. Smile

Post a reply to: Villopoto MXGP 2015?

The Latest