Video editing issues

Racer142
Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 4:12pm
I know there is a photo and video section but the traffic mainly seems like its just posting video not equipment related. Anyways for my birthday this year I got the Sony action cam as200 and the live view remote bundle. I downloaded sony's movie maker as its free and I don't plan on running production quality stuff just making videos for me and my friends. Well in doing so when I open the footage with the software the playback is horrible. It will play like a picture show instead of smooth and sometimes will freeze for a full 5 seconds then jump forward to where its supposed to be. I thought it was something I was doing wrong so I tried to open it in windows media player and it plays fine in there. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or some software thats worth using? the settings are 1080 30p, the SD card is a SanDisc ultra plus 64GB micro sdxc. Any help would be appreciated.
|
Samuel
4/27/2015 4:50pm
Racer142 wrote:
I know there is a photo and video section but the traffic mainly seems like its just posting video not equipment related. Anyways for my birthday...
I know there is a photo and video section but the traffic mainly seems like its just posting video not equipment related. Anyways for my birthday this year I got the Sony action cam as200 and the live view remote bundle. I downloaded sony's movie maker as its free and I don't plan on running production quality stuff just making videos for me and my friends. Well in doing so when I open the footage with the software the playback is horrible. It will play like a picture show instead of smooth and sometimes will freeze for a full 5 seconds then jump forward to where its supposed to be. I thought it was something I was doing wrong so I tried to open it in windows media player and it plays fine in there. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong or some software thats worth using? the settings are 1080 30p, the SD card is a SanDisc ultra plus 64GB micro sdxc. Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like your computer is too weak to run the program properly. I had the same issue with adobe premier elements. Switched to a better computer and it worked fine.
Racer142
4/27/2015 4:54pm
I thought that to at first and I'm not great with computers but why would it run smoothly in WMP but not Sony's actual software? And is there anything I can do to correct the issue short of a new computer? my computer doesn't have a bunch of junk on it or anything so there is plenty of storage space.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/27/2015 4:59pm
Are you playing the clips off the SD Card or did you transfer them to your computer/external harddrive?
Berm
Fantasy
136th
4/27/2015 5:05pm
Racer142 wrote:
I thought that to at first and I'm not great with computers but why would it run smoothly in WMP but not Sony's actual software? And...
I thought that to at first and I'm not great with computers but why would it run smoothly in WMP but not Sony's actual software? And is there anything I can do to correct the issue short of a new computer? my computer doesn't have a bunch of junk on it or anything so there is plenty of storage space.
Sony's software is an editing software right? It loads the video differently compared to WMP which just plays the video (hence why you would be able to easily play a 100gb video but never have a chance of editing one).

It's almost certainly your computer that is the problem.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/27/2015 5:07pm
Make sure you put the video clips on the computers harddrive. You can also try to download another video editing program like Adobe premier, Final Cut Pro or iMovie?
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
4/27/2015 6:09pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 6:12pm
* Copy vids onto HDD first before playback, in every case.
* May not have the correct codecs installed on your PC, wrong codecs mean it cannot transcode properly and have studdering issues.
* Sometimes transcoding the footage into a different format can help, depending on what the source file is.
* VLC Player is a great free, non spamy video player that has MANY codecs build in, i suggest downloading and trying it.

*** Edit i misread the Q,
You probably need to transcode the video first before editing, i have a BEAST computer x99 system top of the range and i still get studdering on GOPRO raw footage 1080, no matter what i do. The only way i get smooth playback is when i transcode the video first using "Gopro Studio" this transcodes it (Basically expands the filesize out) to a less dense file and therefore can be played easier by the editor. I'm sure you can use gopro studio on your footage to process it before editing. you can even edit in gopro studio.
Rotaholic
4/27/2015 6:20pm
Buy the best computer you can afford and then upgrade it some more haha, think about how awesome a 1080p wallpaper is in all its glory, now try and play 60 of them in one second, and then try and tell the computer you want to change the order of them in real time. Its a huge ask and very taxing, don't even get started on 4k editing
Berm
Fantasy
136th
4/27/2015 6:48pm
22Ryann wrote:
* Copy vids onto HDD first before playback, in every case. * May not have the correct codecs installed on your PC, wrong codecs mean it...
* May not have the correct codecs installed on your PC, wrong codecs mean it cannot transcode properly and have studdering issues.
* Sometimes transcoding the footage into a different format can help, depending on what the source file is.
* VLC Player is a great free, non spamy video player that has MANY codecs build in, i suggest downloading and trying it.

You probably need to transcode the video first before editing, i have a BEAST computer x99 system top of the range and i still get studdering on GOPRO raw footage 1080, no matter what i do. The only way i get smooth playback is when i transcode the video first using "Gopro Studio" this transcodes it (Basically expands the filesize out) to a less dense file and therefore can be played easier by the editor. I'm sure you can use gopro studio on your footage to process it before editing. you can even edit in gopro studio.
I thought sony pro was the same as gopro studio but for the sony camera? So it is probably setting up and converting files for him (never used sony only gopro stuff). I had issues when switching to hero3 with my laptop and once I upgraded I was able to view and edit videos fine. I was able to do all the hero 2 videos fine before on my old laptop.
Racer142
4/28/2015 6:38am
Would it help to lower the quality on my camera? Would it still be worth having in the lower quality?
jndmx
4/28/2015 6:52am
22Ryann wrote:
* Copy vids onto HDD first before playback, in every case. * May not have the correct codecs installed on your PC, wrong codecs mean it...

This is all good advice.

GoPro Studio is an easy free program that will do what you need.
I use Adobe Premier Elements to edit with and it will transfer the raw files into an editable format.

No matter which one you use you do need to have a reasonable amount of RAM and processing power which is not the same as storage space.
A machine with an i6 or i7 Intel Processor with 6GB of RAM or better would give you good results.
If your using anything older than say Win7 SP2 you may want to review your hardware.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/28/2015 7:04am
Shooting in a lower quality isn't really the answer but you can try using 720 30p mode. If your computer handles that better, maybe it's a good solution...

Another program you can try is 5D To RGB, what this does is convert your video files to something that your computer can digest a little smoother.
Here's a video about the program:
https://vimeo.com/27562436
Racer142
4/28/2015 5:09pm
Thanks I'll look into it. I believe my computer has 8gb of ram if I remember right.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/28/2015 5:19pm
Racer142 wrote:
I know there is a photo and video section but the traffic mainly seems like its just posting video not equipment related. Anyways for my birthday...
I have better luck when I put the video files on a fast external drive, and leave the program on the computer's hard drive.

Also, quit any unnecessary programs...maximize your RAM.

I haven't tried the Sony program, so I don't have any tips for you there.
Racer142
4/28/2015 8:27pm
Thanks any suggestions on a fast external hard drive? Or specs to look for?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/28/2015 11:21pm
Get one with the a port USB 3.0, FireWire 800 or lightenbolt depending on what your computer has.

Also get one that's 7200rpm. You will see it in the specs on the package.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
4/28/2015 11:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 11:33pm
Many things can cause the stuttering.
My advice:
Record at the highest resolution you'd like to publish. Most likely 1080p at 60fps.

Get a decent video card ($150 model from nVidia or AMD).

Install a lot of Ram on your computer. 16GB or more is recommended.

For disk IO buy a good SSD drive, or better yet get a few and set up a raid array (super fast). The Samsung drives EVO 840 and above can handle the abuse of a raid array and video editing.

Use GoPro Studio to convert your original footage to an intermediate file format that is bigger but easy for your Video editing software to render. GoPro Studio (free) offers the cineform codec which retains the quality well. The Pro version for $250 or $300 has an upgraded version of the codec. I haven't bought it yet. The free version works well.

Convert your initial footage to a lower resolution just for editing (480p). Keep it the same length as your initial footage. Use this version while editing. When you're ready to do a final render "replace" the temp low res footage (480p) with your high res footage (1080p).

Move your swap file (virtual memory) to an SSD drive.

Move the caches in your video editing software to an SSD.

Use different drives (SSDs) for your virtual memory, video editing software caches, footage, and rendering output. Obviously this step can get expensive.

Buy the fastest computer you can afford (and you'll still want it to render faster).

Buy Sony Vegas in a suite that includes Sound Forge last years model. You should be able to find it for maybe $50-75 on Amazon. It's fairly powerful and less expensive than After Effects, etc...
If you can swing it get Sony Vegas Pro.

If you're using After Effects you'll need to do all of the above. It's very powerful and requires a lot of horsepower. What you can do with it is awesome though.

And here's some software you might be interested in too.

Getpaint.net has a Photoshop like software for editing images. It's free. Be sure to install a lot of plugins. Especially the Photoshop file format plugin. It's not Photoshop but it's free and pretty powerful once you install the plugins.

Reaper - a Digital Audio Workstation for editing the soundtrack with various layers and effects. You can do a lot of this in Sony Vegas. This is handling many layers and adding effects. $60 plus they have trial version.

That's it for now.
Racer142
6/21/2015 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2015 12:09pm
Alright put the sd card in another computer and it played perfectly so i confirmed is a computer problem. So now I'm looking at options upgrading mine or getting a new one. I have the Sony action cam as200. What do I need in a computer to do some simple video editing and playback as far as ram, memory, graphics card?
6/21/2015 12:58pm
I have the same issue with the two Sony programs for my Action Cam. Playback glitching in the program makes editing accurately nearly impossible. My PC is vintage though so I assumed that is most of my problem. From what I have read about this (a lot), video processing is one of the toughest tasks for any PC. Plenty of RAM, a bitchin, modern video card, and a powerful processor is needed for these high quality vids we are getting out of the Sony Action Cam.
6/21/2015 1:04pm
Racer142 wrote:
Alright put the sd card in another computer and it played perfectly so i confirmed is a computer problem. So now I'm looking at options upgrading...
Alright put the sd card in another computer and it played perfectly so i confirmed is a computer problem. So now I'm looking at options upgrading mine or getting a new one. I have the Sony action cam as200. What do I need in a computer to do some simple video editing and playback as far as ram, memory, graphics card?
There are quite a few articles on the web regarding building an inexpensive PC dedicated to photo/video editing. If it is just for those tasks then there is a lot of software and stuff you don't need which keeps cost down. But you have to build it yourself. This website- https://pcpartpicker.com/ was helpful in my research. Now I just need to fund it.
DoctorJD
6/21/2015 4:12pm
If you're just doing videos for you and your friends, download Windows Movie Maker. It's free and easy as hell to use.

Post a reply to: Video editing issues

The Latest