Video: What is a Cone Valve Fork and Trax Shock?

ML512
Fantasy
54th
Edited Date/Time 12/15/2015 4:31pm
Just in case you haven't been to the homepage recently, we have a pretty cool piece explaining WP's Cone Valve fork and their Trax shock. Enjoy.

http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/WP-Performance-What-is-a-Cone-Va…

|
PTshox
12/14/2015 6:54pm
So..... how much do they want for that cone valve kit? Isn't it super expensive?
Pirate421
12/14/2015 6:56pm
Forks are about $3500 which ain't too bad. Used units are pretty readily available and I've heard of some suppliers giving deals on kits. Transfer from bike to bike and you won't spend more than a few revalves.
Thelen20
12/14/2015 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 12/14/2015 7:24pm
Was a very informative video! Thanks for hooking us up Michael!
PTshox
12/14/2015 9:55pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Forks are about $3500 which ain't too bad. Used units are pretty readily available and I've heard of some suppliers giving deals on kits. Transfer from...
Forks are about $3500 which ain't too bad. Used units are pretty readily available and I've heard of some suppliers giving deals on kits. Transfer from bike to bike and you won't spend more than a few revalves.
I think 3500 is WAY too much after you just bought a 9K plus bike.

They should sell the cone valve kit for a couple hundred bucks... or just make a fork that works. How about that? )

The Shop

keith101
12/14/2015 10:01pm
Pirate421 wrote:
Forks are about $3500 which ain't too bad. Used units are pretty readily available and I've heard of some suppliers giving deals on kits. Transfer from...
PTshox wrote:
I think 3500 is WAY too much after you just bought a 9K plus bike. They should sell the cone valve kit for a couple hundred...

They should sell the cone valve kit for a couple hundred bucks... or just make a fork that works. How about that? )
That's logical thinking getting the best of you.

I'd put a used set of SSS's from eBay before ever going WP and have better performance for a fraction of the cost.
PTshox
12/15/2015 12:31am
I'd go the SSS route too... Does someone make a set of tripple clamps for the KTM with the right offset that will accept the SSS forks?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/15/2015 2:11am
PTshox wrote:
I'd go the SSS route too... Does someone make a set of tripple clamps for the KTM with the right offset that will accept the SSS...
I'd go the SSS route too... Does someone make a set of tripple clamps for the KTM with the right offset that will accept the SSS forks?
That's a million dollar idea for someone like Ride Eng...
drenmaster
Fantasy
1244th
12/15/2015 9:17am
PTshox wrote:
I'd go the SSS route too... Does someone make a set of tripple clamps for the KTM with the right offset that will accept the SSS...
How about a brake kit for current KYB SSS forks to use KTM Brembos? now that's 2 million in ideas..
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
12/15/2015 9:53am
PTshox wrote:
drenmaster wrote:
How about a brake kit for current KYB SSS forks to use KTM Brembos? now that's 2 million in ideas..
Oh I forgot about that. If someone could make triple clamps for KTM that fit the KYB forks and include a brake caliper mount for a decent price so you can buy KYBs with a total under $2,000.... WhistlingWhistlingWhistling
PTshox
12/15/2015 12:01pm
It would be very easy for them to do this triple clamp kit. They have it in a CAD program... they just need to change some dim's and tool path it... Make it so it has the same offset, takes the KTM steering stem, and has holes for the SSS fork tubes and you're done. Would be very simple for them to do.

I think Emig racing does custom triple clamps..
PTshox
12/15/2015 12:13pm
So... from the Emig Racing site...

"As our schedule allows, Gary Emig is available to produce custom triple clamp kits.
He has done numerous sets over the years. He can build triple clamps to your predefined specifications. Changes that can be made include: Fork Bore Size, Fork Width, Steering Offset, Bar Position, Pinch Bolt Placement, etc.

The cost for each triple clamp can vary depending on the variation of the clamp from it's stock specs.
Prices for each custom triple clamp regularly start at $400.
Bar mounts, steering stems, bearing, etc are an additional charge at our normal retail price"

So purchase some SSS forks from somewhere... call Gary... get one build and then he has the program. From there it's easy. Probably need to send him the KTM stock clamps and some Yamaha clamps for him to use for measurements.

Who's going to step up? )
ML512
Fantasy
54th
12/15/2015 12:38pm
PTshox wrote:
So... from the Emig Racing site... "As our schedule allows, Gary Emig is available to produce custom triple clamp kits. He has done numerous sets over...
So... from the Emig Racing site...

"As our schedule allows, Gary Emig is available to produce custom triple clamp kits.
He has done numerous sets over the years. He can build triple clamps to your predefined specifications. Changes that can be made include: Fork Bore Size, Fork Width, Steering Offset, Bar Position, Pinch Bolt Placement, etc.

The cost for each triple clamp can vary depending on the variation of the clamp from it's stock specs.
Prices for each custom triple clamp regularly start at $400.
Bar mounts, steering stems, bearing, etc are an additional charge at our normal retail price"

So purchase some SSS forks from somewhere... call Gary... get one build and then he has the program. From there it's easy. Probably need to send him the KTM stock clamps and some Yamaha clamps for him to use for measurements.

Who's going to step up? )
Kawasaki AOSS forks (I've done this!") and I believe Yami SSS forks fit in stock KTM clamps... The bigger issue is the lugs/front wheel.
Canadad
12/15/2015 1:22pm
PTshox wrote:
Are the Yamaha SSS forks a different diameter than the forks on a 2016 250sxf?
mmcmx
12/15/2015 1:49pm
One thing I wonder about the traxx shoock is how it works in jump ramp bumps. That mechanism looks a bit scary on the last part of the ramp?
Pirate421
12/15/2015 3:43pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2015 3:58pm
Pirate421 wrote:
PTshox wrote:
I think 3500 is WAY too much after you just bought a 9K plus bike. They should sell the cone valve kit for a couple hundred...

keith101 wrote:
That's logical thinking getting the best of you. I'd put a used set of SSS's from eBay before ever going WP and have better performance for...
That's logical thinking getting the best of you.

I'd put a used set of SSS's from eBay before ever going WP and have better performance for a fraction of the cost.
I almost bought a set of used conevalves and if I had the money I probably would have at between $2000-$2500. But instead I bought a set of tires, a top end, chain and sprockets, bars and grips and all new gear for the new season and revalved my stock WP for less than the used forks. But I believe compared to Showa kit suspension they are somewhat of a bargain for the average joe or vet racer who wants kit suspension. I've realized you may not like KTM or WP but the general consensus looks positive of the CV setups.
steed 2.0
12/15/2015 3:45pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
bob567 wrote:
Not sure its wise to spend $2,300 on the internals when you can buy the entire fork set new for $700 more and keep them when...
Not sure its wise to spend $2,300 on the internals when you can buy the entire fork set new for $700 more and keep them when you sell the bike. If it was under $1500 installed I would do it.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
12/15/2015 4:16pm
People are putting SSS internals and Showa internals in the Ktm fork tubes.
bob567
12/15/2015 4:31pm
steed 2.0 wrote:
bob567 wrote:
Not sure its wise to spend $2,300 on the internals when you can buy the entire fork set new for $700 more and keep them when...
Not sure its wise to spend $2,300 on the internals when you can buy the entire fork set new for $700 more and keep them when you sell the bike. If it was under $1500 installed I would do it.
steed 2.0 wrote:
Thanks for posting that Steed. Would be great to hear some reviews on this retro fit Cone Valve kit.

Post a reply to: Video: What is a Cone Valve Fork and Trax Shock?

The Latest