Vicki Golden Becomes First Woman to Complete Ricky Carmichael’s Road to Supercross

PR
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2014 9:56am
Vicki Golden Becomes First Woman to Complete
Ricky Carmichael’s Road to Supercross

Sets Her Sights on Monster Energy Supercross

AURORA, Ill. (March 21, 2014) – History was made in AMSOIL Arenacross, featuring Ricky Carmichael’s Road to Supercross. Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis rider Vicki Golden added to her racing legacy by becoming the first woman to complete Ricky Carmichael’s Road to Supercross.

Golden qualified for the premier Arenacross Class last Saturday night in Hidalgo, Texas, securing her third and final required point to complete the Road to Supercross. As a result, Golden becomes the first woman in the history of the sport to earn an endorsement to compete in the 250SX Class of Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship.

With a potential future on the sport’s biggest stage, Golden is set to make even more history as she prepares for the next step of her career. Golden shared her thoughts on the accomplishment and her future in Monster Energy Supercross.

(Courtesy ShiftOne Photography)

How do you feel about being the first woman to complete the Road to Supercross and earn a 250SX Class endorsement for Monster Energy Supercross?

It’s awesome. It doesn't really make a difference that I’m the first woman; I guess it’s more being the only one. It really makes it more prestigious in my eyes that I have the talent and courage to go up against men in one of the most aggressive [championships] in the sport. I think part of it also is that now no one can tell me I cant race [supercross] or that I’m only there because someone gave me an exemption. I met the qualifications like every other guy that will be out there.

What kind of emotions did you feel when you realized you qualified to secure that third and final point?

It was a huge relief. I would have freaked out if I was going into [the final round at] Salt Lake City and still needed one more point. I think that would have been too much pressure (laughs). I’ve been working towards getting my license since my first year in AMSOIL Arenacross in 2011, so I am beyond stoked that everything came together and I finally made it happen.

How would you describe your journey through the program?

It’s been a tough journey for sure, but if it were so easy then it wouldn't mean as much. I think the Road to Supercross has become really popular and a lot of racers have taken advantage of it, so making the fast 30 isn't as easy as it used to be when I raced in previous years. So, I really had to make sure I was bringing my A-game each week to qualify.

(Courtesy ShiftOne Photography)

Do you realize the significance of your accomplishment in this sport and the world of motorsports as a whole? What are your thoughts on being a groundbreaking athlete?

I do and I'm grateful for it. It really provides inspiration for younger girls, so hopefully this gender barrier breaking doesn't stop with me and it continues to happen in the future. It also provides great appeal for me media wise, which its awesome exposure for my sponsors and myself.

What does the opportunity to race in Monster Energy Supercross mean for your career?

It’s huge. I'm sure I will [race supercross] in 2015, but I might even give it a shot before this season is over. It’s a lot to take in, thinking about trying to race in supercross. It’s a big step for me so I really want to be smart and well prepared for it. I think it’s going to open up a lot of doors for me. I can’t wait to see what happens and where this goes.

Golden and the rest of AMSOIL Arenacross are set for the 12th and final round of the 2014 season and the conclusion of the Race to the Championship. The season comes to a dramatic finish inside Salt Lake City’s EnergySolutions Arena next Saturday, March 29, beginning at 9 p.m. ET.

The entire AMSOIL Arenacross season will air on FOX Sports 1, including re-airs on FOX Sports 2.
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMSOIL Arenacross season returns for the 2014 season! To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com.
|
mx757
3/21/2014 2:56pm
Im a bit confused as to what it actually takes to make the night shows. Looking through the results it doesn't seem completely cut and dried because some riders that qualified say 20th don't show any heat race results or anything, but a rider that qualified 27th did make it. Whats the cut off as far as how many riders make the night show?
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
3/21/2014 3:09pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2014 3:10pm
All good, But.. She will never make the night show in Supercross!
enketchum
3/21/2014 3:13pm
That is some total BS. Did Adam Cianciarulo get his Arenacross points in order to earn an endorsement to race 250SX? I can find nothing of AC riding arenacross.
hvaughn88
3/21/2014 3:15pm
enketchum wrote:
That is some total BS. Did Adam Cianciarulo get his Arenacross points in order to earn an endorsement to race 250SX? I can find nothing of...
That is some total BS. Did Adam Cianciarulo get his Arenacross points in order to earn an endorsement to race 250SX? I can find nothing of AC riding arenacross.
Are you just bitching for the sake of bitching?

The Shop

3/21/2014 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/21/2014 3:27pm
enketchum wrote:
That is some total BS. Did Adam Cianciarulo get his Arenacross points in order to earn an endorsement to race 250SX? I can find nothing of...
I think this is the first year of this "Road to Supercross" and AC won his first sx race and is leading in points so whether he got a pass or not who gives a sh*t. Do Loretta's or outdoor points maybe have something to do with it as well? Also there was more then ONE rookie in SX this year ..
And what does "earn(ed) an endorsement to compete in the 250SX Class" (taken from article) actually mean?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/21/2014 3:29pm
enketchum wrote:
He didn't need to. Just like the next big mini rider wont need to either. Being really fast has it privileges and I have no problem with it.
enketchum
3/21/2014 3:32pm
enketchum wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
He didn't need to. Just like the next big mini rider wont need to either. Being really fast has it privileges and I have no problem...
He didn't need to. Just like the next big mini rider wont need to either. Being really fast has it privileges and I have no problem with it.
That is what I'm talking about. Vicki was one of the fastest women in the WMX series. Why does this not qualify her to go straight to Supercross?

This is some double standard bull shit
hvaughn88
3/21/2014 3:37pm
enketchum wrote:
That is what I'm talking about. Vicki was one of the fastest women in the WMX series. Why does this not qualify her to go straight...
That is what I'm talking about. Vicki was one of the fastest women in the WMX series. Why does this not qualify her to go straight to Supercross?

I really really hope you're just trolling. If you don't see the difference in AC and the fastest woman on a motorcycle...then I suggest not making any life altering decisions in the near future, haha
OnRails
3/21/2014 3:41pm
enketchum wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
He didn't need to. Just like the next big mini rider wont need to either. Being really fast has it privileges and I have no problem...
enketchum wrote:
That is what I'm talking about. Vicki was one of the fastest women in the WMX series. Why does this not qualify her to go straight...

Bro, get real. You're being a fool.
yzjs7
3/21/2014 3:51pm
Awesome, thats a major accomplishment. Good for her,good for the sport.
neysbo
3/21/2014 4:06pm
Nothing against Vicki but this just shows what a joke the Road to SX program is. She and others never made a main yet they supposedly are qualified to get their SX license.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
3/21/2014 4:08pm
enketchum wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
enketchum wrote:

It's the same double standard bullshit they pull on those fastest c riders.
RonSkj
Fantasy
129th
3/21/2014 4:10pm
neysbo wrote:
Nothing against Vicki but this just shows what a joke the Road to SX program is. She and others never made a main yet they supposedly...
Nothing against Vicki but this just shows what a joke the Road to SX program is. She and others never made a main yet they supposedly are qualified to get their SX license.
Wait.. What, she didn't even make a main?
brlatm
3/21/2014 4:11pm
Congrats to her and best of luck to her. Some of you guys I think gripe and moan just to hear yourselves gripe and moan.
Titan1
3/21/2014 4:18pm
If she didn't make a main event, what does it take to be qualified for their SX license?

And SX license or not, no way in the world she qualifies for a night show...
wacker
3/21/2014 4:26pm
brlatm wrote:
Congrats to her and best of luck to her. Some of you guys I think gripe and moan just to hear yourselves gripe and moan.
Yes they do. Have any of you guys seen her ride, especially a sx track? She makes a lot of "pros" look silly. She's good. I'm not saying she's gonna be making mains but she is capable of making night shows. She earned her chance and is much more deserving than some of the people I've seen out there in the day qualifiers (practice).
neysbo
3/21/2014 4:29pm
Titan1 wrote:
If she didn't make a main event, what does it take to be qualified for their SX license? And SX license or not, no way in...
If she didn't make a main event, what does it take to be qualified for their SX license?

And SX license or not, no way in the world she qualifies for a night show...
All you have to do is qualify for three night shows (top 30) and you get one Road to Supercross point. Big difference between night show and main though. Not her fault she followed the program like many others.
richter28
Fantasy
164th
3/21/2014 4:37pm
mx757 wrote:
Im a bit confused as to what it actually takes to make the night shows. Looking through the results it doesn't seem completely cut and dried...
Im a bit confused as to what it actually takes to make the night shows. Looking through the results it doesn't seem completely cut and dried because some riders that qualified say 20th don't show any heat race results or anything, but a rider that qualified 27th did make it. Whats the cut off as far as how many riders make the night show?
Some guys who concentrate on lites like to ride both practices for the extra track time, they only ride lites heat races and let the next guy in line take their spot in the AX heats.
mx757
3/21/2014 4:49pm
mx757 wrote:
Im a bit confused as to what it actually takes to make the night shows. Looking through the results it doesn't seem completely cut and dried...
richter28 wrote:
Some guys who concentrate on lites like to ride both practices for the extra track time, they only ride lites heat races and let the next...
Some guys who concentrate on lites like to ride both practices for the extra track time, they only ride lites heat races and let the next guy in line take their spot in the AX heats.
Got ya. Thanks for clearing that up.
Kyle978
3/21/2014 6:01pm
neysbo wrote:
All you have to do is qualify for three night shows (top 30) and you get one Road to Supercross point. Big difference between night show...
All you have to do is qualify for three night shows (top 30) and you get one Road to Supercross point. Big difference between night show and main though. Not her fault she followed the program like many others.
"All" you have to do is make the night show? I assume you haven't been to an AX in person this year, or have a local fast guy you know that's racing some to gauge the speed of these riders? Top 30 isn't a joke, none of those guys suck at all. I've been a little critical and found womens MX to be somewhat of a joke, but after seeing Golden at the AX rounds in person, I'm really impressed. She definitely needs help in the whoops, but she gets the jump sections down quick and her corner speed is very, very good.
neysbo
3/21/2014 6:11pm
neysbo wrote:
All you have to do is qualify for three night shows (top 30) and you get one Road to Supercross point. Big difference between night show...
Kyle978 wrote:
"All" you have to do is make the night show? I assume you haven't been to an AX in person this year, or have a local...
"All" you have to do is make the night show? I assume you haven't been to an AX in person this year, or have a local fast guy you know that's racing some to gauge the speed of these riders? Top 30 isn't a joke, none of those guys suck at all. I've been a little critical and found womens MX to be somewhat of a joke, but after seeing Golden at the AX rounds in person, I'm really impressed. She definitely needs help in the whoops, but she gets the jump sections down quick and her corner speed is very, very good.
First off, I never said anyone sucked. My point is that, it is almost to easy of a way to earn your Supercross license which does not mean anyone sucks.

Second , I know and we ride with several of the Arenacross riders from the Midwest so yes I have a real good gauge on the speed and talent.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/21/2014 6:13pm
enketchum wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
enketchum wrote:

Not a double standard at all. Even as a fast woman she is still Sloooooow by SX standards . AC on the other hand is winning right from the start,no matter how much you whine that life is unfair a rider like AC will get some preferential treatment.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
3/21/2014 6:14pm
brlatm wrote:
wacker wrote:
Yes they do. Have any of you guys seen her ride, especially a sx track? She makes a lot of "pros" look silly. She's good. I'm...
Yes they do. Have any of you guys seen her ride, especially a sx track? She makes a lot of "pros" look silly. She's good. I'm not saying she's gonna be making mains but she is capable of making night shows. She earned her chance and is much more deserving than some of the people I've seen out there in the day qualifiers (practice).
So what pros does she make look silly ?
Kyle978
3/21/2014 6:26pm
neysbo wrote:
First off, I never said anyone sucked. My point is that, it is almost to easy of a way to earn your Supercross license which does...
First off, I never said anyone sucked. My point is that, it is almost to easy of a way to earn your Supercross license which does not mean anyone sucks.

Second , I know and we ride with several of the Arenacross riders from the Midwest so yes I have a real good gauge on the speed and talent.
Look at the dudes that have their licenses that are in the back 10 of qualifying at a SX, especially west coast Lites. Some are terrible, I don't know how they make it out of the pits without stalling. Those dudes would roll jumps in AX, just like they do in SX, and not qualify for the night show in AX just like they don't in SX. But they got their license somehow. Now, you either have to be Baby Jesus, or race AX to be out there. Not a perfect scenario, but it does weed out the complete squids and does get more entries into the previously dying Arenacross circuit.
stangkag
3/21/2014 6:31pm
It opens another avenue of excitement and will bring even more eyes to our sport so I'm all for it... Throw her on a 450 for Toronto lol
Grieby54
3/21/2014 6:54pm
enketchum wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
enketchum wrote:

You want to talk about double standard bullshit? Tell me how many guys have the ride with Babbits and haven't even sniffed the top 10 before. There are a lot of guys out there that would do a hell of a lot more with that machine than she ever will but they won't get a chance because she gets preferential treatment being a woman in a man's sport.

Props to her, but stfu with your double standard bullshit.
Grieby54
3/21/2014 6:55pm
Kyle978 wrote:
Look at the dudes that have their licenses that are in the back 10 of qualifying at a SX, especially west coast Lites. Some are terrible...
Look at the dudes that have their licenses that are in the back 10 of qualifying at a SX, especially west coast Lites. Some are terrible, I don't know how they make it out of the pits without stalling. Those dudes would roll jumps in AX, just like they do in SX, and not qualify for the night show in AX just like they don't in SX. But they got their license somehow. Now, you either have to be Baby Jesus, or race AX to be out there. Not a perfect scenario, but it does weed out the complete squids and does get more entries into the previously dying Arenacross circuit.
I sure hope you're joking...
machine
3/21/2014 7:03pm
enketchum wrote:
From what i understand AC turned pro a year early before the rules were implemented, to avoid going through that process so he could go directly to SX.
visser62
3/21/2014 7:49pm
enketchum wrote:
machine wrote:
From what i understand AC turned pro a year early before the rules were implemented, to avoid going through that process so he could go directly...
From what i understand AC turned pro a year early before the rules were implemented, to avoid going through that process so he could go directly to SX.
Thank you machine. It's great to see how many people were making a big deal about "double standard bullshit" without knowing the facts. RJ Hampshire and Aaron Plessinger had to race AX this year, and they are the next big up and comers.
slipdog
3/21/2014 7:56pm
Regardless of what the rules to qualify for an SX license are, she got it.

I wish her the best of luck!

Post a reply to: Vicki Golden Becomes First Woman to Complete Ricky Carmichael’s Road to Supercross

The Latest