Us older guys....getting them rusty bones moving again.

jeffro503
Every year around this time i start off slowly getting back into my exercise program with light cardio and weights. I swear this is the worst I've felt in a while. Last year i started my riding season late and stopped early due to my work overwhelming me.

This year i want to start riding earlier , ride more if possible and go late into the season.

What about you guys? Crawling out of the off season / holidays and so forth....you guys struggle to get things moving again. I guess i have a love/hate relationship with it. I love seeing the progress i can make....but gawd dang it's like getting a rusty machine all oiled up and running smooth again.
|
yzjs7
1/6/2017 8:01pm
My body feels like that every morning and I'm only 32. Just gotta do it
scooter5002
1/6/2017 8:01pm
Try a new replica watch. A new member here seems to be quite pleased with his purchases.
Moto810
1/6/2017 8:08pm
I hear ya! I am starting to ski more as that helps the legs! Local gym of course and trying to stretch more often. However the thing I am trying to do more of is taking winter trips to CA to ride!
JAFO92
1/6/2017 8:09pm
A few friends are trying to get me to race this year in a +50 class and if I do it will hafta get my fatass going soon.

Hang in there Jeffro, I feel your pain bro.

The Shop

1/6/2017 8:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Every year around this time i start off slowly getting back into my exercise program with light cardio and weights. I swear this is the worst...
Every year around this time i start off slowly getting back into my exercise program with light cardio and weights. I swear this is the worst I've felt in a while. Last year i started my riding season late and stopped early due to my work overwhelming me.

This year i want to start riding earlier , ride more if possible and go late into the season.

What about you guys? Crawling out of the off season / holidays and so forth....you guys struggle to get things moving again. I guess i have a love/hate relationship with it. I love seeing the progress i can make....but gawd dang it's like getting a rusty machine all oiled up and running smooth again.
I my wife has me doing something called pi. Mostly stretching and cardio. You would be surprised how hard it is for people who are out of shape

Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
1/6/2017 8:19pm
Crossfit!

Think I am supposed to put "bro" after that.
Detroit Dick
1/6/2017 8:23pm
Fro - the older we get, the more crucial it is to take it slow. I bought a cheap HR monitor a few months back and it's helped immensely with keeping me from over-doing it and burning out. I've been jogging easy for an hour 3/4 days a week, keeping the HR in the high end of fat-burning/low end of cardio, then doing all-out sprints of 100 yards x 5 twice a week.This helps keep you from over-stressing your body and also keeps you from pigging out due to carb depletion. I haven't felt this good in years. Be sure to get plenty of rest! (This can't be stressed enough) Also very, very important is to eat as clean as possible. Stay away from grains and sugar as much as possible. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and about 4-6 oz of animal protein each day. Latest research indicates that 70-80% of our fitness depends on what we eat. I highly recommend a book called "The Primal Blueprint", it's been a real game-changer for me.... you can get most or the important principles free from the author's website: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz3ndt05V8l. Best of luck with the coming riding season. I've been off the bike for over a year due to school, but I take my board exam next week, and the following weekend my son and I will be out riding in the hills....can't wait!
TeamGreen
1/6/2017 8:23pm
Punk-ass kids calling'em-selves old?

Pfffft...

53, Bitches!

Jeffro, go pedal something until ya "feel right".

Ya young punk-ass kid!

Laughing
Detroit Dick
1/6/2017 8:32pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Punk-ass kids calling'em-selves old?

Pfffft...

53, Bitches!

Jeffro, go pedal something until ya "feel right".

Ya young punk-ass kid!

Laughing
...55, Brosephus.....and just hittin' my stride!Evil
JAFO92
1/6/2017 8:33pm
TeamGreen, Class of '82 here. Wink
JW381
1/6/2017 8:46pm
I mean, I'm only 26 and I feel the arguably the worst I've ever felt haha something in the air this winter.
jeffro503
1/6/2017 9:00pm
HA!.....We at least some of you guys know the pain I speak of. I mean , don't get me wrong , I love the exercising part of my life ( actually still crave it to this day ). It's just after taking a couple month break , getting all those muscles " woke up ". I have a great workout plan and my diet is pretty dang good. I can eat just about anything because I have a hard time putting on weight.....but it's the weak joints and just feeling weak overall. I do love it a lot , where a lot of people think it's just torture , but I've always been this way. Just wanted to see if some of struggle with the workout season.

Manny.....quit picking on me!
Bobby....I hear ya! Stick with it and do it!
Justin....We have had one long and cold winter here! It blows , but spring will be here before we know it!
DD and Cowboys.....Going to look into both those things.
Myke....My weight routines are some what a crossfit type program , just modified to help protect my joints.

Might sound weird but I'm really thinking of trying out some yoga classes to work things I don't normally do. I've talked to quite a few dudes and chicks that swear by it.
pete24
1/6/2017 9:07pm
ill be 54 this spring and i bet i could come rite out and finish a three lap, one moto format womens 50+ vintage pre 90s drum brake class
NeedMoto
1/6/2017 9:32pm
56 years young. Went to the gym for the first time in 6 years, as the tracks are all rained out in Norcal.

Got home, sat in recliner. Napped in recliner. Ate dinner in recliner. Napped again in recliner. Wife through a blanket on me, I'll be bed-timing in recliner.

I like motoing better Unsure
TeamGreen
1/6/2017 9:34pm
You have to be 30 to be considered for "The Syndicate".

TeamGreen
1/6/2017 9:35pm
jeffro503 wrote:
HA!.....We at least some of you guys know the pain I speak of. I mean , don't get me wrong , I love the exercising part...
HA!.....We at least some of you guys know the pain I speak of. I mean , don't get me wrong , I love the exercising part of my life ( actually still crave it to this day ). It's just after taking a couple month break , getting all those muscles " woke up ". I have a great workout plan and my diet is pretty dang good. I can eat just about anything because I have a hard time putting on weight.....but it's the weak joints and just feeling weak overall. I do love it a lot , where a lot of people think it's just torture , but I've always been this way. Just wanted to see if some of struggle with the workout season.

Manny.....quit picking on me!
Bobby....I hear ya! Stick with it and do it!
Justin....We have had one long and cold winter here! It blows , but spring will be here before we know it!
DD and Cowboys.....Going to look into both those things.
Myke....My weight routines are some what a crossfit type program , just modified to help protect my joints.

Might sound weird but I'm really thinking of trying out some yoga classes to work things I don't normally do. I've talked to quite a few dudes and chicks that swear by it.
Yoga works for some of the guys you'll see tomorrow-night.
1/6/2017 9:41pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Every year around this time i start off slowly getting back into my exercise program with light cardio and weights. I swear this is the worst...

A good friend passed this book my way. He's an occupational therapist and works to get people moving again for a living.
I've just started, but i've heard it has some great programs.

https://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Supple-Leopard-2nd-Performance/dp/16286…
Jerkolantern
1/6/2017 11:03pm
E'h just do what I did, put a 99 tooth rear sprocket on the bike, she pulls just as hard. And with the reduced speed age brings you still think your going a thousand tapped in fifth, even though you were clocked at 23 mph.... man I'm a stud.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
1/7/2017 12:39am
I try to at least be consistently inconsistent year round. I live in San Diego, so the weather makes that possible.

I'm 54, and plan on racing a lot this year.

If I've been away from training, I ease back into it over a few weeks, starting with full workouts but less weight, less reps, but with good form.

The first week is just giving my body a wake up call, letting it know what's coming, and to get things moving, find any kinks that need to be worked out. The focus is 1) to not injure myself, 2) to not get so sore or worn out that I don't continue.

Second week on I work on stepping up the intensity, but listen to my body. My goal is to increase the intensity until I'm working out like a bad ass 25 year old.

For cardio I do mountain biking with plenty of climbing. It's a great workout, easy on the joints and every climb comes with a fast downhill. I was a runner for years and years, but found that mountain biking (especially with hills) is a better workout and a lot more fun.

My training philosophy is to get to the point.
I'd much rather do 25 or 50 weighted crunches or an ab wheel than to do 200 crunches without weight. Life's too short to spend precious time going through the motions, doing countless reps with low intensity.

The same goes for strength training. I do a lot of super-sets with opposing body parts, like Biceps/triceps, back/chest, etc... since it builds both muscles well, and also builds endurance.

I usually do sets of 6-12 reps and mix it up during the workout.
Usually the first set I'll do 8-12, second set 4-8 with heavier weights, sometimes even 2-3 reps. On the 3rd set I'll go back to 8-12 reps, then either keep going with lower weights, or do forced negatives. Why not work the muscles to failure? It's the last set.

On arms day, I always do regular and reverse wrist curls. When I do, I have zero arm pump, ever. I've been taught that for forearms, you want to do more reps, always 12+. Same for calves. It probably has to do with building fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle.

The point for me is building up the intensity and maximizing what I get out of each workout.

I have a dumbbell set at home that I can do a lot with (10 lbs to 40), then go to the gym for legs, back and chest.
I find that having weights at home allows me to fit in a workout when I don't have a lot of time.

When I'm being ambitious I'll do a set of abs with the ab wheel or push ups while waiting for the water to warm up before a shower, and do the handgrips while I'm driving. It's just a way to squeeze in some exercise when life gets busy.

The ab wheel is great for your core as it works a lot more than just your abs. It feels like it makes my entire core very, very stable.

I can feel the difference the ab wheel makes when I'm on the track. It's very cool, but be careful when starting up. It's pretty tough on your low back at first.

Also, I found some hand grippers that are very intense, and this company actually has a certification when your grip strength reaches level 3. To put it into perspective, most body builders cannot close the Level 1 grip even one time.
I don't believe a super grip is needed for MX, but working toward level 1 definitely helps.
The company is called Captains of Crush. I bought the Trainer (T) and Level 1 grips. I can close the T, but not the 1 yet, and I simply don't get arm pump anymore.
https://www.amazon.com/Captains-Crush-Hand-Gripper-Point/dp/B006G377UQ/…

Hand grips are great, but they do nothing for your thumbs. For thumb strength I use a heavy stress ball, like this one. It weighs about a pound.
https://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Textured-Squeeze-Comfortable-Strengthen/dp…

No matter what I'll do 40 reps or so (not to failure) of a light hand grip (40 ft-lb), and 125 reps of the stress ball on my way to the track. When I do, it makes a difference on the track that day. My arms won't get pumped or ache on the first moto or practice session. They're already warmed up before I get to the track.

When I'm lifting in my home gym, I always watch the GoPro footage of Villopoto 2nd motos at Unadilla, etc... from 2013. It reminds me of why I'm training, and I pick up techniques techniques.

I'll be racing around So Cal this year, in the Ultimate Amateur series if they have it, and also hope to race Mammoth.

I hope to see you out there racing!

Rotaholic
1/7/2017 12:55am
I'm 39 and lined up against Levi Sherwood at a local tracks MX fun day today, was awesome. For a FMXer he still as some serious wheels and can ride that 2stroke fast!. Im racing our MXGP here in NZ at the end of the month, only support class, but next year I can race vets with the big boys :-)
1/7/2017 1:06am
Myke wrote:
Crossfit!

Think I am supposed to put "bro" after that.
Hey people knock it all the time but it's been great for me, I got massively out of shape after I started work (regularly working 100 hours a week for a few years driving tractors takes its toll.) Joined crossfit back in September and started watching what I eat more, gone from an XXL down to a large and feeling miles better for it.
tydog
1/7/2017 3:11am
54 here. I'm pretty decent shape I'd say but I could do much better but lacking motivation. Hell I seldom snow or water ski anymore. That's on me there!
2 acl surgeries on same knee have really slowed me. Plan to race a lot of evo and vintage this year and train on my modern bike.
Paw Paw 271
1/7/2017 4:52am
You know many years ago an very wise man told me...( Don't get old, you will not like it!) You know he was right!
At 70+ I still ride and do a race from time to time and I am the youngest of my riding group with the oldest being 80.
It is still as much fun now as ever, all be it at a somewhat slower pace, but I must say it is a lot more work than ever to get it done and recovery is always a hard thing after each ride.
To here all the young guys complain about age is laughable as it only gets better with age. You reach an age where no amount of training will get your youth back and then you just start having fun. You seem to not note all the acks and pains associated with the days after a good ride as much because there is so much other regular pain everyday that you start looking forward to those rides more and more each day. Roll with it and enjoy it while you can.

Paw Paw
tydog
1/7/2017 5:26am
Well said PawPaw. Thanks for that.
berniepiet
1/7/2017 5:34am
You know many years ago an very wise man told me...( Don't get old, you will not like it!) You know he was right! At 70+...
You know many years ago an very wise man told me...( Don't get old, you will not like it!) You know he was right!
At 70+ I still ride and do a race from time to time and I am the youngest of my riding group with the oldest being 80.
It is still as much fun now as ever, all be it at a somewhat slower pace, but I must say it is a lot more work than ever to get it done and recovery is always a hard thing after each ride.
To here all the young guys complain about age is laughable as it only gets better with age. You reach an age where no amount of training will get your youth back and then you just start having fun. You seem to not note all the acks and pains associated with the days after a good ride as much because there is so much other regular pain everyday that you start looking forward to those rides more and more each day. Roll with it and enjoy it while you can.

Paw Paw
Paw paw , guys your age who ride are my heros! I ride with a a 70 year old, Bo Bobbitt, can't shake him. He never gives up. Never slows us down. Never gets tired. Never complains. Much respect.

BTW, Ty Dog is full of it. Dude flat out hauls. Best riding form of any amateur I have ever seen. Poetry in motion on a vintage bike. Lousy machinist though.....
JAFO92
1/7/2017 5:37am

PawPaw271 wrote: You know many years ago an very wise man told me...( Don't get old, you will not like it!) You know he was right!

Some sage advice there PawPaw. I love what Clint Eastwood said about aginig in this article:

"I never let the old man in."

http://www.andrewpurcell.net/?p=1901
1/7/2017 5:41am
PawPaw, love the advice you give on bikes. But this is maybe even better. I am an "old" 46 and just hurt my ankle casing a double. It's had me wondering how long I can ride, but you've given me some inspiration here!

JAFO92
1/7/2017 5:44am
PawPaw, love the advice you give on bikes. But this is maybe even better. I am an "old" 46 and just hurt my ankle casing a...
PawPaw, love the advice you give on bikes. But this is maybe even better. I am an "old" 46 and just hurt my ankle casing a double. It's had me wondering how long I can ride, but you've given me some inspiration here!

It reaches a point where jumps are your enemy, thats why its scrambles and vintage only for this 1963 model. :-)
tydog
1/7/2017 5:52am
berniepiet wrote:
Paw paw , guys your age who ride are my heros! I ride with a a 70 year old, Bo Bobbitt, can't shake him. He never...
Paw paw , guys your age who ride are my heros! I ride with a a 70 year old, Bo Bobbitt, can't shake him. He never gives up. Never slows us down. Never gets tired. Never complains. Much respect.

BTW, Ty Dog is full of it. Dude flat out hauls. Best riding form of any amateur I have ever seen. Poetry in motion on a vintage bike. Lousy machinist though.....
True that on Bo! I really appreciate the kind words but call BS on some of the latter part, except I do suck as a machinist!
I hope you had a wonderful first Christmas with baby girl!
Hope to see you soon.
edgo897
1/7/2017 6:09am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2017 6:10am
No off season in Florida but my 55 year old ass just got this Dec 22. I rode the weekend before surgery and felt great.

Post a reply to: Us older guys....getting them rusty bones moving again.

The Latest