Unadilla start

level
Edited Date/Time 8/15/2014 7:13am
I think they may have to revamp the start. When you have half the field going off the track then you have a design problem. By the way, the tracks this year have just been brutal rough. I wonder what's going on-is it the dirt, the prep or are the bikes just beating them all to hell? Just so rough but yeah if I was running the show I would tell Unadilla to fix there start asap.
|
Zracer
8/14/2014 4:42pm
Rewatch some of the Dilla footage then go find some Dilla footage on youtube from the early 90s. Then decide what brutal rough looks like.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/14/2014 5:13pm
level wrote:
I think they may have to revamp the start. When you have half the field going off the track then you have a design problem. By...
I think they may have to revamp the start. When you have half the field going off the track then you have a design problem. By the way, the tracks this year have just been brutal rough. I wonder what's going on-is it the dirt, the prep or are the bikes just beating them all to hell? Just so rough but yeah if I was running the show I would tell Unadilla to fix there start asap.
Yes. The dirt is worn out. Blink

I think what you have is a bunch of guys who refuse to shut off, where in the past (in the interest of self-preservation) they'd shut off. It's the same design...well, except the start is shorter than it was back in the day.

A longer start might spread them out more, but it would also be faster by the time they hit the first turn.
ricko
8/14/2014 5:26pm
live tv = no time for breaks or track prep.

if you go to a national you'll notice how there isn't an intermission anymore where they water or fix up the track.
level
8/14/2014 8:55pm
ricko wrote:
live tv = no time for breaks or track prep. if you go to a national you'll notice how there isn't an intermission anymore where they...

if you go to a national you'll notice how there isn't an intermission anymore where they water or fix up the track.
Yeah. I was curious about that-whether they do track prep between motos. Doesn't appear they do so that might have something to do with it. The tracks just do not look fun. They are just brutal rough. I know that's moto but for me a freshly groomed track is one of the most fun tracks to ride.

The Shop

Mr Bean
8/14/2014 9:05pm
level wrote:
Yeah. I was curious about that-whether they do track prep between motos. Doesn't appear they do so that might have something to do with it. The...
Yeah. I was curious about that-whether they do track prep between motos. Doesn't appear they do so that might have something to do with it. The tracks just do not look fun. They are just brutal rough. I know that's moto but for me a freshly groomed track is one of the most fun tracks to ride.
And that roughness is what separates the men from the boys. Ask the LL guys.

The guys who have trained like animals and are as tough as gristle get peeved with the "smooth track" policy. Forget "fun".

Smooth = easier.

Nats are supposed to be for the elite - both in skill and fitness levels.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/14/2014 9:09pm
ricko wrote:
live tv = no time for breaks or track prep. if you go to a national you'll notice how there isn't an intermission anymore where they...

Guess I need to shoot some tractors on the track, or water trucks, etc.
TG130
8/14/2014 9:21pm
level wrote:
I think they may have to revamp the start. When you have half the field going off the track then you have a design problem. By...
This year's Unadilla was like a sidewalk compared to how the track was in the 70's and 80's.
h&m_cycle
8/14/2014 11:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2014 11:08pm
level wrote:
TG130 wrote:
This year's Unadilla was like a sidewalk compared to how the track was in the 70's and 80's.
Here's 4 minutes of USGP 1985, Tom Carson, Hopedale Ohio neighbor , told me he could barely hang on.

Carson looked like he needed to be in the hospital & he didn't crash

he holeshots here....

ricko
8/15/2014 3:40am
high point they fixed some spots but not as much like they used to before live tv. I just wish 450s were second moto to ride the track in it's roughest shape.
8/15/2014 4:02am
they should put some of that lovely green fence stuff they used to have in the gps on the outside to deter people from taking the wide line ...or some old school hay bales that'd mix things up Wink
GangGreen
8/15/2014 6:58am
ricko wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Guess I need to shoot some tractors on the track, or water trucks, etc.
Plenty of grooming occurs before the first motos, between 250 & 450 timed practices, and they dress up the approach to the larger jumps in the afternoon. In the 80's and 90's, Unadilla used to be grass covered and no bulldozers ALL DAY. There were also no other amateur events before the Pro National and it was not disked. Not the same Unadilla, but it looked pretty good this year and actually had ruts !!!!

early
Fantasy
2212th
8/15/2014 7:13am
Looks to me like they have been ripping some of the tracks deeper this year in the prep. Red bud and Unadilla come to mind. Probably trying to rough them up and slow them down a bit but just guessing.

Post a reply to: Unadilla start

The Latest