USA Jr MX Team

Edited Date/Time 5/17/2014 3:09am
I am a huge Moto fan and really enjoy following the amateur scene and Loretta's in particular.
With the recent announcement by Kip Bigelow and the AMA of the US Jr MX team, it occurred to me that some of the names were not familiar and I was wondering who they were and what their credentials are to represent our country in this prestigious event. I then went to the Vault and found that some ofthe riders did not finish in the top ten and I did not see the name of the class winners mentioned as a team members. How can this be ? Is it like the pros who are sometimes offered but decline for a number of reasons?

Why are our AMA class champions (if age/class eligible) not the first selected or offered/ or are they ?

Someone make sense of this to me please !

Go USA !
|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/16/2014 9:22am
I have often wondered about this myself. Just figured I wasn't in the loop enough with amateur racing.

But we have had some top guys go. Didn't Tomac race one year?
KMC440
5/16/2014 9:30am Edited Date/Time 5/16/2014 9:32am
I believe part of the issue you see is junior riders age out of their previous sseason's class. Add to that not all families aare able to commit to a race weekend half way around the world. So as far as I can tell it has a lot to do with class potential for this season as well as the ability to get there. Other ffactors probably go into the decision process but I would guess these to be secondary.

Any youngster on the consideration list should be proud of their accomplishments.
5/16/2014 9:52am
Absolutely the riders should be proud ! I wish them the best of luck for sure! The 125 class is one in particular that I watch being a two stroke fan and all. There are some proven rippers in that class (still eligible) that I don't see..... Maybe the sponsors and manufacturers of some riders aren't as supportive as others....I wouldn't think the families would have to cover the cost if they were selected...but I don't know.
Maybe someone from the inner circle will shed some light?
500guy
5/16/2014 10:05am
Maybe some of them don't have Pass Ports or other issues ?

I would bet it's mostly , Eligibility, Time and Money issues.

The Shop

Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
5/16/2014 10:12am
My guess would be "Skippy Mcdermott" is close with one of those championship winning riders who is eligible and not selected judging by his first 2 posts both being in this topic.

My guess, someone who was close to as good had someone who backs them heavily with some pull (an OEM perhaps) talked to the team selection crew and squeezed some riders in.
500guy
5/16/2014 10:22am
My guess would be "Skippy Mcdermott" is close with one of those championship winning riders who is eligible and not selected judging by his first 2...
My guess would be "Skippy Mcdermott" is close with one of those championship winning riders who is eligible and not selected judging by his first 2 posts both being in this topic.

My guess, someone who was close to as good had someone who backs them heavily with some pull (an OEM perhaps) talked to the team selection crew and squeezed some riders in.
it certainly would be a ground breaking event to have some disgruntled mini biker sign up just to cry foul.

Oh wait that's been done 10________________ times hasn't it
5/16/2014 10:26am
My guess would be "Skippy Mcdermott" is close with one of those championship winning riders who is eligible and not selected judging by his first 2...

Interesting angle, but incorrect. No relation to a rider-- just a fan. I have watched these forums for awhile and learn some interesting "facts" from time to time.

Traveled to CO in 2010 to watch my first MX of Nations and learned about the Jr team as well. I thought this might be a good way to find out something that doesn't make sense on the surface.

Brrrrap !
TooOldToPlay
5/16/2014 11:38am
As expensive as it is to cart the kids across the US to attend the multiple national amateur events, I would expect a trip to Europe would feel like a monumental task/cost for the kid's families. Those going, have made that commitment. You can be sure all of the top riders had an opportunity. By this time of year the sponsors/industry have already allocated their budgets, so going back for more help is unlikely. It isn't a coincidence that all but one of the riders are part of the Green or Orange amateur programs, and it is really commendable that those programs take such an active part in this event!! The AMA helps with logistics, but likely is not digging very deep into their pockets to cover costs, and so it leaves the rider/rider's parents to cover the cost. I know one of the riders/rider's family, and they are hard working middle class folks. They have a good nucleus of sponsors, and a lot of folk's, like myself, that are excited for them, and happy to help out in whatever manner we can. Good luck to Team USA!!

Tomac, Villopoto, Wharton, Savatgy have all participated in this event in the past. Who knows which of these kids may step up as a future star?
5/16/2014 11:49am
So the manufacturers have a big say in in? That doesn't seem like the best way to have the best team to me. I don't have any allegiance to any one rider, but if Weston Peick is picked this year out of tenth and Dungey isn't offered if he wins outdoors- I am guessing people would be questioning it..... ( and No, those are not predictions for the series or MX of Nations team) Ha !
5/16/2014 12:13pm
And for the record... I am a Weston Peick Fan- just picked a top ten ( and sometimes top 5) rider as an example
5/16/2014 12:37pm
So the manufacturers have a big say in in? That doesn't seem like the best way to have the best team to me. I don't have...
So the manufacturers have a big say in in? That doesn't seem like the best way to have the best team to me. I don't have any allegiance to any one rider, but if Weston Peick is picked this year out of tenth and Dungey isn't offered if he wins outdoors- I am guessing people would be questioning it..... ( and No, those are not predictions for the series or MX of Nations team) Ha !
The best way to have the best team?

We're asking these riders to head to a foreign country on their own dime to compete in a race that almost nobody knows about.
5/16/2014 12:45pm
Skippy,

Choosing the team for the Junior World Championships is not as easy as it looks. In the 65 class most of the top kids from the previous year have moved up to 85s full time or aged out of the class. That makes the 65 class the toughest to pick. You also have to pick kids well in advance of the event. The OEMs have a say in who goes because in most cases they supply the bikes for the kids who go. KTM and Kawasaki have been huge supporters of the program and without their help it would be very costly.

The whole thing is a huge undertaking and coordinating it is a bear. You have to get kids who are fast, can afford to go and want to go. You need to be able to provide bikes that are competitive as the competition is riding the bikes they race every weekend and that takes some doing. A pit rig has to be procured, supplies and fuel, lodging, air fare, fund raising to help defray costs, secure sponsorship and many other things. The guys making this happen are also working full time at their jobs as well.

It'[s not perfect but they have won three out of four times (I think) they went so it must be working ok.

Mike

p.s. My son was a last minute fill in on the first championship team and it was a huge rush to just be there.
dboivin
5/16/2014 12:53pm
So the manufacturers have a big say in in? That doesn't seem like the best way to have the best team to me. I don't have...
dunno where you been but it has everything to do with it...ever pay attention to MXDN?

money, commitment, time all are factors. Kip does a good job with this I think and i personally think its a great thing. I try to watch/read anything i can on it when it goes down.
dboivin
5/16/2014 12:56pm
SlowOldGuy wrote:
Skippy, Choosing the team for the Junior World Championships is not as easy as it looks. In the 65 class most of the top kids from...
Skippy,

Choosing the team for the Junior World Championships is not as easy as it looks. In the 65 class most of the top kids from the previous year have moved up to 85s full time or aged out of the class. That makes the 65 class the toughest to pick. You also have to pick kids well in advance of the event. The OEMs have a say in who goes because in most cases they supply the bikes for the kids who go. KTM and Kawasaki have been huge supporters of the program and without their help it would be very costly.

The whole thing is a huge undertaking and coordinating it is a bear. You have to get kids who are fast, can afford to go and want to go. You need to be able to provide bikes that are competitive as the competition is riding the bikes they race every weekend and that takes some doing. A pit rig has to be procured, supplies and fuel, lodging, air fare, fund raising to help defray costs, secure sponsorship and many other things. The guys making this happen are also working full time at their jobs as well.

It'[s not perfect but they have won three out of four times (I think) they went so it must be working ok.

Mike

p.s. My son was a last minute fill in on the first championship team and it was a huge rush to just be there.
i shoulda read slow's post first as he nailed it. it is definitely a big undertaking, i commend all those that work behind the scenes on it.
mx836
5/16/2014 1:40pm
As far as I know, the costs lie heavily on the families. Carter Biese from Wisconsin (holy shit, I know!) missed LL last year due to injury, but has been selected for the 65 class. If he's not qualified I don't know who is, because he was absolutely railing corners like a pro at the LL area qualifier I attended a few weeks ago.
5/16/2014 2:40pm
That's good info- I think? But it seems hard to believe that a majority of the top ten riders in a class would turn down an opportunity like this. The race is in October and that leaves a bit of time to raise funds and get passports. A huge undertaking no doubt, but I am not buying that sponsors and supporters of these top kids wouldn't prioritize a race like this if offers were indeed made to the top finishers from LL.

And congrats to Biese - double tough coming out of the snow belt with short riding seasons!
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
5/16/2014 2:51pm
As expensive as it is to cart the kids across the US to attend the multiple national amateur events, I would expect a trip to Europe...
As expensive as it is to cart the kids across the US to attend the multiple national amateur events, I would expect a trip to Europe would feel like a monumental task/cost for the kid's families. Those going, have made that commitment. You can be sure all of the top riders had an opportunity. By this time of year the sponsors/industry have already allocated their budgets, so going back for more help is unlikely. It isn't a coincidence that all but one of the riders are part of the Green or Orange amateur programs, and it is really commendable that those programs take such an active part in this event!! The AMA helps with logistics, but likely is not digging very deep into their pockets to cover costs, and so it leaves the rider/rider's parents to cover the cost. I know one of the riders/rider's family, and they are hard working middle class folks. They have a good nucleus of sponsors, and a lot of folk's, like myself, that are excited for them, and happy to help out in whatever manner we can. Good luck to Team USA!!

Tomac, Villopoto, Wharton, Savatgy have all participated in this event in the past. Who knows which of these kids may step up as a future star?
Bingo, it cost a fortune to do this one race. I worked with a kid that was on the team last year, and is on it this year, his parents got a whole community behind them with fund raisers and what not. Its a high priced deal, none of the expense is covered by the team as far as i understand it. You need the backing and be one of the top to be selected though.
5/16/2014 3:11pm
That's good info- I think? But it seems hard to believe that a majority of the top ten riders in a class would turn down an...
That's good info- I think? But it seems hard to believe that a majority of the top ten riders in a class would turn down an opportunity like this. The race is in October and that leaves a bit of time to raise funds and get passports. A huge undertaking no doubt, but I am not buying that sponsors and supporters of these top kids wouldn't prioritize a race like this if offers were indeed made to the top finishers from LL.

And congrats to Biese - double tough coming out of the snow belt with short riding seasons!
To what end though?

I've been passionate about the sport of motocross for my entire life and this is probably the second time I have heard about this event.
5/16/2014 4:25pm
That's good info- I think? But it seems hard to believe that a majority of the top ten riders in a class would turn down an...

Skippy,

I have been involved with this effort since its inception, and I will tell you that top ten riders routinely turn down the invitation. Some sponsors get all over it, some sponsors couldn't care less about a race in another country where they don't even sell their products. Adam Cianciarullo and Cooper Webb declined to go in the same year.

Also, the race has been the week or two after Loretta's in past years with riders flying out on the Monday after. I think this year it is two weeks after Loretta's, not in October. Many can't just take three weeks out of their lives and Loretta's is going to take top priority. Some families are concerned about going over to race on a borrowed bike and being at a disadvantage to their European counterparts.

The rider decisions are generally made shortly after the spring national races. Sometimes a kid blossoms over the summer, kills it at Loretta's and is not one of the kids chosen. Every year there are 6 or 8 kids who, based on their results, are deserving. Only three can go.

The proof is in the pudding as we say down south. Team USA has won the event three out of the four years they have participated.
5/16/2014 6:24pm
Fellow old Moto guy -

I am not doubting that there have been riders turn it down for a variety of reasons - I am questioning whether the top riders are offered the spots or if the riders are simply selected by (the appearance of the) ability to pay for the trip or some other non-performance based reason such as personal relationships with the committee members (aka politics)
The Rock
5/16/2014 6:58pm
TripleFive wrote:
To what end though? I've been passionate about the sport of motocross for my entire life and this is probably the second time I have heard...
To what end though?

I've been passionate about the sport of motocross for my entire life and this is probably the second time I have heard about this event.
More than twice for me but for sure this event seems to be a very well kept secret.
dboivin
5/16/2014 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2014 7:15pm
Fellow old Moto guy - I am not doubting that there have been riders turn it down for a variety of reasons - I am questioning...
Fellow old Moto guy -

I am not doubting that there have been riders turn it down for a variety of reasons - I am questioning whether the top riders are offered the spots or if the riders are simply selected by (the appearance of the) ability to pay for the trip or some other non-performance based reason such as personal relationships with the committee members (aka politics)
what does it matter? it doesn't. your original questions were answered and each time you say "i agree....but..."

you seem to totally miss the point and jump directly to the "unfairness" to it....or "not sending our best"....you should really educate yourself on it before blindly throwing opinions at it.
5/16/2014 8:36pm
Fellow old Moto guy - I am not doubting that there have been riders turn it down for a variety of reasons - I am questioning...
Fellow old Moto guy -

dboivin wrote:
what does it matter? it doesn't. your original questions were answered and each time you say "i agree....but..." you seem to totally miss the point and...
what does it matter? it doesn't. your original questions were answered and each time you say "i agree....but..."

you seem to totally miss the point and jump directly to the "unfairness" to it....or "not sending our best"....you should really educate yourself on it before blindly throwing opinions at it.
This thread was started from looking up the results and educating myself on the subject.... The answers provided have been interesting but I would love to hear DC' s answer to this question. I would think it would be interesting to hear from riders and their parents who were top five and whether or not the offer was made for them to accept or decline .....
dboivin
5/16/2014 10:23pm Edited Date/Time 5/16/2014 10:28pm
Fellow old Moto guy -

dboivin wrote:
what does it matter? it doesn't. your original questions were answered and each time you say "i agree....but..." you seem to totally miss the point and...

This thread was started from looking up the results and educating myself on the subject.... The answers provided have been interesting but I would love to...
This thread was started from looking up the results and educating myself on the subject.... The answers provided have been interesting but I would love to hear DC' s answer to this question. I would think it would be interesting to hear from riders and their parents who were top five and whether or not the offer was made for them to accept or decline .....
those were already answered for you. thats my point. DC has nothing to do with it really, its Kips/AMA's thing. DC might help connect but mxsports and AMA are 2 different things ya know.,

lemme put it terms you might understand.

kip is like the mitch payton of team USA. he builds a team each season to take overseas to race against everyone else. just like not everyone takes mitch's deal/contract/offer....not everyone accepts kips invite. specially since its a lot of time/money/commitment as everyone has pointed out. So #1 or #2 don't always go but....discounting these kids because they didn't finish last year 1st place at LL's is a little shortsighted. Every kid i've seen race over there has been way talented top runnin in amateurs...and usually wins or finishes podiums/top5's consistently. So i would say kip does a good job.
5/16/2014 11:47pm
Fellow old Moto guy -

I can't fall asleep, so I'll indulge you. This is my opinion and I do not speak for Kip or the AMA, just my opinion on your questions.

First, there is no clear definition of a top rider since there is no ranking system in place across amateur MX in the US. That makes it hard to say whether the top riders in an order that doesn't exist, were all asked to go. The real answer is probably not.

To answer the question you really seem to want answered. Politics and non performance based factors play a part in just about every facet of our lives from who starts on the high school girls soccer team, to who gets promoted in their job, to if a shopping center developer gets a variance to connect the driveway of his new Food Lion to the main street in his community. I'm guessing this is no different.
ayearinmx
5/17/2014 2:49am
this year will be my fifth Junior World Championship.... and having hung around with Team USA at the event, I know that every kid who goes is stoked to be there. I also know that it costs a lot, and requires a lot of logistics on the behalf of the AMA and each family.

the race is THE WEEKEND AFTER LORETTAS... that means the riders are boarding a flight on the Sunday night after LL and flying to Europe. It was the same last year. I have no idea where you are getting October from?? That makes it extremely tough on families to have to plan to be away for close to three solid weeks in one stretch.

As for picking the best riders.... the team got announced last week, in May. Can you please tell me the winners for the 2014 LL 65, 85 and 125 classes...?? No... exactly. Nobody knows who's going to win the classes in May so they pick the best riders who they think will do well. As for Cianciarulo... I also know he was too old to attend in one of the years he'd have been a shoe-in for the 85cc class.

And finally, for all those people who have never heard of this event..... go to www.vurbmoto.com and you'll see in-depth coverage from the past 3 years. It may also be a secret in America, but I can assure you the rest of the world knows about it (shocker... I know)

2013 JWC

2012 JWC

2011 JWC
https://youtu.be/videoseries?list=PLD5F32FEE6EC140CB
ayearinmx
5/17/2014 3:09am
i must also add the Team USA do an awesome job of raising the bar for the other countries to try and match. I wish Team GB was half as organised as the USA team. The top picture was the first ever autograph signing at the event, which was extremely well attended...

and then obviously, this was the team after winning the overall event...

Post a reply to: USA Jr MX Team

The Latest