Tyler Poto

sharkey
3/26/2012 5:46pm
did any of you guys even listen to his video he said he would like to start off in the top 15 or 10 to start. that seems likely to me. in canada you can be a intermediate and race with the pros. a local intermediate from washington a few years back went there and finished 17th. give the kid a break
b2
3/26/2012 5:49pm
3/26/2012 6:36pm
wildbill wrote:
got the balls to say that to his face?
JW381 wrote:
I hope so, I'd like to find out.
jhansen510 wrote:
I am going to go with no for $200 Alex. I dont think he has the balls to say it to his face. But I kinda...
I am going to go with no for $200 Alex. I dont think he has the balls to say it to his face. But I kinda see where you would think that lol ! He definitely has a style somewhat like his brothers. I am sure he imitates him as much as possible. I think I probably would to. If my brother was the fastest dude in the world at the time anyway..... Carry on
I do, and I'd take that $200 as well. IDGAF
3/26/2012 6:37pm
b2 wrote:
[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307195_220997544616334_188306877885401_572425_7743993_n.jpg[/img]
Impressive

The Shop

Outsider
3/26/2012 6:44pm
Maybe a tad goofy, (aren't we all), but he looks pretty fast in that vid for sure.
mx295
3/26/2012 7:42pm
Frenchie is going to be his mechanic
TJ 755
3/26/2012 8:12pm
mx295 wrote:
Frenchie is going to be his mechanic
speaks volumes
zghosty
Fantasy
593rd
3/27/2012 1:25am
i dont understand why people bag on him for whipping and scrubing so much, its a promo video of course he is going to whip and scrub off everything. ive seen him ride in person quite a bit up here in washington. does not ride like that at all..

does nobody remember bubba on a 125 in videos? whipping and scrubbing everything? kind of the same thing.
fullfloater
Fantasy
12th
3/27/2012 1:35am
sharkey wrote:
did any of you guys even listen to his video he said he would like to start off in the top 15 or 10 to start...
did any of you guys even listen to his video he said he would like to start off in the top 15 or 10 to start. that seems likely to me. in canada you can be a intermediate and race with the pros. a local intermediate from washington a few years back went there and finished 17th. give the kid a break
He'll do a lot better than top 15. Kid looks good.
burnside
3/27/2012 3:32am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 3:35am
b2 wrote:
[img]http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307195_220997544616334_188306877885401_572425_7743993_n.jpg[/img]
And a forum member is calling these "buttwhips"? ! hahahahaa.
3/27/2012 6:02am
It's amazing the amount of motivation one can muster up when faced with the real possibility of having to work for a living.
MX Culture
3/27/2012 7:41am
Tyler rode for me on the Sano/Randy's Cabinet's pitbike team for a few years and he always gave it 100%.
I was bummed when he hung it up and moved back north.
I saw him at Vegas last May and he said he was fishing fulltime up in WA.
Glad to see him back on the bike, he will surprise a lot of you!
DD
tvo314
3/27/2012 7:54am
Maybe he's just having a little fun, some of you ought to try it sometime. Pretty sure he wasn't lined up at a national, and if he was, and his bike happened to get sideways in the air more often than the others, then good for him.
nytsmaC
3/27/2012 7:59am
I look forward to seeing him race up here this summer, looks like he needed the break and is in a good place mentally to put in a good effort at racing again.
mjskier
3/27/2012 8:18am
I'm drawing a blank. Any MX family where the younger brother does better than the older in actual results on the pro scene?
The only one I can think of is the Pourcels.
I can understand the recurring "better natural ability" since the younger brother probably starts riding at a younger age and has somebody to emulate.
DownSouth
3/27/2012 8:35am Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 8:40am
mjskier wrote:
I'm drawing a blank. Any MX family where the younger brother does better than the older in actual results on the pro scene? The only one...
I'm drawing a blank. Any MX family where the younger brother does better than the older in actual results on the pro scene?
I can understand the recurring "better natural ability" since the younger brother probably starts riding at a younger age and has somebody to emulate.
Ivan Tedesco was way more sucessful than his older brother Gio who was pro but got hurt a lot and quit early. Blake Wharton also outperformed Tyler.

When it comes to the Villopoto's, Stewart's, Sipes', and Alessi's the older brother has been the better of the two. Tommy and Wil Hahn could be a toss up but Tommy does have a 450 national win so that gives him the edge so far.

As far as the Sewell's, Tedder's, and Gulley's does anyone know which one is younger/older?
Flip109
3/27/2012 9:38am
The kids style is sick! I could watch him ride whip and scrub like that all day. I hope he does well up there and comes back here and makes it. I'll be a fan for sure.
rgmx-49
3/27/2012 9:48am
the kid has potential...would like to see him ride the 250s here.
Grieby54
3/27/2012 9:48am
mjskier wrote:
I'm drawing a blank. Any MX family where the younger brother does better than the older in actual results on the pro scene? The only one...
The Whartons.
Hank_Thrill
3/27/2012 10:03am
mjskier wrote:
Grieby54 wrote:
The Whartons.
Guy and Chuck Cooper. I think Chuck was his name...
tiddlermx23
3/27/2012 10:09am
As one his brothers fans i can only hope for the best for him. kid looks fast and i hope i can catch a race or two here but dont know where to watch them. Ill be looking for him on the national circut in a few years..
3/27/2012 12:52pm
mjskier wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Ivan Tedesco was way more sucessful than his older brother Gio who was pro but got hurt a lot and quit early. Blake Wharton also outperformed...
Ivan Tedesco was way more sucessful than his older brother Gio who was pro but got hurt a lot and quit early. Blake Wharton also outperformed Tyler.

When it comes to the Villopoto's, Stewart's, Sipes', and Alessi's the older brother has been the better of the two. Tommy and Wil Hahn could be a toss up but Tommy does have a 450 national win so that gives him the edge so far.

As far as the Sewell's, Tedder's, and Gulley's does anyone know which one is younger/older?
Holy smokes...we get Tedders, Gulleys and Sewells before even a mention of the Vohland's and Emig's? Tyson won at Sx and Bryan won a class at Lorettas (I think). But yeah, the big brother played a HUGE role in the other's success...no doubt.
bobby397
3/27/2012 1:27pm
zghosty wrote:
i dont understand why people bag on him for whipping and scrubing so much, its a promo video of course he is going to whip and...
i dont understand why people bag on him for whipping and scrubing so much, its a promo video of course he is going to whip and scrub off everything. ive seen him ride in person quite a bit up here in washington. does not ride like that at all..

does nobody remember bubba on a 125 in videos? whipping and scrubbing everything? kind of the same thing.
Agreed, I hear no complaints when Barcia does it
Uncleof2
3/27/2012 6:56pm
mjskier wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
Ivan Tedesco was way more sucessful than his older brother Gio who was pro but got hurt a lot and quit early. Blake Wharton also outperformed...

Holy smokes...we get Tedders, Gulleys and Sewells before even a mention of the Vohland's and Emig's? Tyson won at Sx and Bryan won a class at...
Holy smokes...we get Tedders, Gulleys and Sewells before even a mention of the Vohland's and Emig's? Tyson won at Sx and Bryan won a class at Lorettas (I think). But yeah, the big brother played a HUGE role in the other's success...no doubt.
It was Tyson and Tallon Vohland, and I remember Tyler and Ryan's Dad racing against them down in NorCal.
mfowler
3/28/2012 12:12am
DownSouth wrote:

Holy smokes...we get Tedders, Gulleys and Sewells before even a mention of the Vohland's and Emig's? Tyson won at Sx and Bryan won a class at...
Uncleof2 wrote:
It was Tyson and Tallon Vohland, and I remember Tyler and Ryan's Dad racing against them down in NorCal.
Gary Jones is younger than DeWayne, Bill Grossi is younger than Bob, Eric Geboers is younger than Sylvain...I think I'm forgetting some.
darius228
3/28/2012 3:21am
sharkey wrote:
did any of you guys even listen to his video he said he would like to start off in the top 15 or 10 to start...
A pro from up here in Washington that doesn't win local races was top 10 last year in the Canadian Nats.....
Roscoe33
3/28/2012 4:56am
sharkey wrote:
darius228 wrote:
A pro from up here in Washington that doesn't win local races was top 10 last year in the Canadian Nats.....
Many US pros have come to Canada with the illusion that they will clean house up here and dominate,
just because your fast that doesn't mean your going to win a Championship.

Bike set up, new track memorization and competition you don't know all add to the challenge.

top 10-15 for Tyler the first year up here is realistic.
Uncleof2
3/28/2012 10:32am
sharkey wrote:
darius228 wrote:
Roscoe33 wrote:
Many US pros have come to Canada with the illusion that they will clean house up here and dominate, just because your fast that doesn't mean...
Many US pros have come to Canada with the illusion that they will clean house up here and dominate,

Bike set up, new track memorization and competition you don't know all add to the challenge.

Roscoe33 you left out the infamous Canadian sandwich and Berm Blastoff(Welcome to Canada, American.) I hope Tyler stays healthy and gets some top 10's, that would be realistic I think.
zghosty
Fantasy
593rd
3/30/2012 2:32am
very good read about tyler, about how it all came to be.

HERE

Ok, let’s talk about the signing of Tyler Villopoto. I nicknamed him ‘TYPO’ by the way. How did this all happen?

(Laughs) Ya, I heard that. You can claim that one. We’re getting lots of people asking questions about this. I got a call from Steve Matthes from PulpMX and DMX asking if we were interested in the idea of somehow supporting Tyler Villopoto in the western nationals because he now wants to have pro motocross as a career. I told Steve then and there that we were definitely interested and we’ll figure out something.

From there, Steve gave my number to Ryan (Villopoto), his older brother, and he phoned me. Ryan has been working a little bit as Tyler’s agent and we just started figuring things out. As some of our other 450 leads were slowly slipping away, we sat down with Ryan, Tyler, and Jason Hughes and we decided to move forward on Tyler and see if he’s interested in riding the entire season and what he wants and expects, so we did.

He’s got a 450 down in California that he’s been riding. We sent him out with Kyle Beaton and Teddy Maier to Milestone so we could gauge his speed because we don’t know. From speaking with Kyle and Teddy, we decided that he was definitely going to be fast enough for the class.

From there, we just moved forward to what it was going to take to get him on our team and how we could fit him in our budget. It all worked out and he’s signed. He’s doing the whole series for our team.

So, did Monster or Ryan have any extra influence in your decision?

Monster is no more involved at this point with Tyler than they were without Tyler. They’re not pressuring us, if that’s what you’re getting at. They aren’t giving us extra funds for him. They aren’t involved any more now than they were.

Ryan is not paying for Tyler’s ride, either. Tyler is a member of this team on his own.

How much did you know about Tyler from his amateur days?

He’s been under the radar for a long time. He’s been ‘Ryan’s younger brother.’ He decided a while ago that he didn’t want to race professionally because his brother had that spot and there’s a really good possibility that he’s not ever going to be as fast as Ryan. I don’t know what was going through his mind at the time, but he decided not to push racing full-time. Having said that, he’s been riding the whole time. He’s had support from Team Green and still does from Thor and Alpinestars , and from his brother and from the family. Now he’s made the decision that he wants to be a professional racer and Ryan is willing to help him out with it.

Who is going to be Tyler’s mechanic this summer?

Frenchie (Luc Caouette) is going to be Tyler’s mechanic and Donk (Scott Donkersgoed) is going to stay with Kyle.

Does this mean there’s a chance we’ll see Ryan at some races that don’t conflict with his AMA national schedule?

Well, the only weekend that doesn’t conflict with his stuff, as of right now, is Edmonton. I know that there’s a rumour flying around out there somehow, someway, that he’s going to be at Walton—he will NOT be at Walton. I can confirm that right now. He’s not interested in flying a red-eye from Unadilla to Walton. He has shown interest that if we want him to come up to Edmonton and sign autographs and be an honorary Leading Edge team member for the weekend, he will do that.

Aside from Tyler’s skill on a bike, I assume his last name played into your decision too, right?

No doubt about it—absolutely. Yes. I’m not going to dodge that one, for sure. I mean, of course, right. That’s already helped us in some stuff and he hasn’t even been up here yet. That was definitely a factor in it. Having said that, we’re going to be disappointed if he comes up here and doesn’t hit the top 5 every weekend. After talking to him about it, and talking to Ryan about it, he’s going really fast.

I think that having him on our team will get us more press than any one of the other three guys winning the championship. I believe that.

I just spoke to Andy Wilson and he saw him out at Glen Helen and he said Tyler was passing some guys, some name guys that I’m not going to name, but guys that are running in the top 10 in supercross right now. It may not mean anything to anybody, but it shows that he’s got some speed.

What do you think of his style? He throws the bike around every chance he gets.

We’re going to try our best to make him stop doing that and to just focus on going forward instead of sideways. Ryan has mentioned a little bit about that too and so has Tyler, we’ve talked to him about it. All the scrubbing stuff you see on the internet was pretty much all for the camera. If he’s coming up here and doing really well and wants to scrub every jump, he can go right ahead (laughs). I think we need to focus on the fundamentals of going forward instead of sideways.

He seems like a very personable guy.

Ya, Ryan seems to be a pretty reserved guy, for the most part, but I know that in talking with some other people that, once you get to know Ryan, he’s like Dusty (Klatt), he keeps to himself, but once you get in he’s a great guy. Tyler is open and he’s willing to shoot the shit with you and chat about anything. He’s very outgoing and always in a good mood. He seems to be a great guy.

He’s had some injuries in the past and most of them have been from play-riding and screwing around.

When will he hit the ground up here?

Well, we’ve asked him to come up here as early as he’s comfortable with. He’s testing suspension, as we speak at Glen Helen today with Graham, our suspension guy. As soon as we get him comfortable on the bike and C4MX gets that thing going to where they like it, he’s coming straight up and we’re going to start going riding. The snow is all gone and we’re dirt biking right now.

At this point, Pat started throwing facts at me from all over the place. Here are some of the highlights:

Villopoto’s number will be #161 and Beaton’s number is going to be #108. Somebody snagged the #132 from us but he’s got Dean Wilson’s old number.

FMF is no longer doing a drink, so we can display the FMF logos on our bikes this year.

VP Fuels makes a great fuel and came to us with a really good offer that, in this economy, we could not refuse.

When Tyler gets up here, we’re going to go to all the western tracks and ride them, test out some tires, and figure out what works.

darius228
3/30/2012 3:34am
sharkey wrote:
darius228 wrote:
Roscoe33 wrote:
Many US pros have come to Canada with the illusion that they will clean house up here and dominate, just because your fast that doesn't mean...

Actually I was poking fun at you canucks.....

Post a reply to: Tyler Poto

The Latest