Two-stroke Resurrection - Can two-stroke engines make a comeback?

2T42
Edited Date/Time 8/14/2012 8:21am
Two-stroke Resurrection - Can two-stroke engines make a comeback?

August 13, 2012 By Steve Anderson

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/13/two-stroke-resurrection/

[ Husqvarna executives say their engineers are developing a street-legal, direct-injected, two-stroke-powered dual-sport. This illustration represents what we think the bike might look like. ]

During our recent visit to Husqvarna, company executives said they have a high-tech two-stroke, likely directly injected, in their near-term product plan. At KTM, a tech-services manager claims that the company has a direct-injection two-stroke under test, essentially ready to go when there’s a need in the marketplace. Other companies drop hints that they’re reevaluating their prior decisions to go 100-percent four-stroke with their dirtbike lines. Are two-stroke engines on the verge of a revival?

The answer to that question is yes, at least to a limited extent.

Two-stroke engines in motorcycle applications went away for several reasons. First, they had higher levels of hydrocarbon and carbon-monoxide exhaust emissions than four-stroke engines, and reducing those emissions couldn’t readily piggyback on all the work that had been expended by the automotive industry on car engines. Second, they also had worse fuel economy. But, third, and worst of all, they were perceived as “non-green,” smoke-emitting, image disasters. Major companies such as Honda made the decision to stop producing two-strokes, and racing organizations went along by changing rules to penalize or eliminate them. Four-strokes, with a few exceptions, took over off-road motorcycling, even in closed-course competition.

But there was a cost to that. The new four-stroke motocrossers were more expensive and much more maintenance-intensive than the two-stroke machines they replaced. They also tended to have exhaust sound that was offensive for longer distances, putting pressure on motocross tracks in some locations to quiet down or be shut down. And some riders simply liked two-stroke engine characteristics better.

But two other off-road activities also faced the same issues and came up with different solutions. Both the outboard-marine industry and the snowmobile industry initially attempted to make the switch to four-stroke engines but were met with customer resistance to the heavier and more-expensive powerplants that resulted. This opposition led to a new generation of cleaner, direct-injected two-stroke engines that meet respective emissions requirements—though these are notably less strict than those for on-road vehicles. The most recent example would be Ski-Doo’s E-TEC (ecotech) 800cc Rotax Twin, which puts out 155 horsepower—more power per cc than BMW’s S1000RR, the current king of literbike horsepower. Unlike Bimota’s abortive 1997 Vdue, a two-stroke with conventional injectors squirting into the transfer ports—a design that never really worked—the outboard and snowmobile engines are well-developed and reliable.

[ This cutaway illustrates how fuel is injected very late in the compression cycle when the exhaust port is blocked, dramatically improving efficiency. ]

Now that such technology is available for motorcycle engines, some players in the industry are taking another look, since direct fuel injection has the potential to drastically reduce emissions. Two-stroke engines, which combine the intake and exhaust cycles to a degree not possible in four-strokes, have an issue with fresh charge coming through their transfer ports and flowing directly out the exhaust port, dramatically raising hydrocarbon emissions—and not helping fuel economy, either. Direct injection allows fuel to be injected into the cylinder just as the piston is rising to seal the exhaust port, preventing this direct short-circuiting.

Similarly, conventional two-stroke engines at very low loads may actually be operating on four-, six- or eight-cycle processes. This is because so much exhaust gas is retained in the cylinder at small throttle openings that it may take several crankshaft revolutions to clear the cylinder sufficiently to create a combustible mixture. It’s far better to operate at low loads with intake air only (no fuel lost out the exhaust) and the injection programmed to add fuel only on the combustible cycle. When used with engines designed for them, direct injection systems allow much lower baseline emissions before any after-treatment system (catalytic converter) is added, and they can improve fuel economy by as much as 50 percent.

In addition to direct fuel injection, there are other technologies that can help. Two decades ago, Honda introduced a 250cc, two-stroke motorcycle engine for a Japanese-market-only dual-purpose bike that utilized “Activated Radical Combustion.” This is a technology that has since been well-studied by the automotive industry and is more commonly known as HCCI (Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition), a combustion process that requires no spark but uses gasoline rather than diesel fuel. In Honda’s 250, HCCI combustion was maintained from about eight to 50 percent load, with conventional spark ignition used at both the high and low end of the engine load range. The benefit was far more stable combustion (no six- or eight-cycling) when HCCI was operating, lower emissions and—according to those who rode it—a two-stroke that felt as if it had the smooth power of a four-stroke.

Honda’s patents have since expired.

While there is little doubt that technology exists to create off-road two-stroke motorcycle engines that meet current and future EPA or California green-sticker off-road emissions requirements, the question remains whether sufficient technology exists to create street-legal two-stroke engines as in, say, a 300cc dual-purpose bike making 40-plus horsepower. This would require one of the available direct-injection technologies, an oxidizing catalyst in the exhaust and, likely, a direct lubrication system that feeds carefully controlled amounts of oil to the main and rod bearings to minimize oil usage. While that question currently remains unanswered, there is at least one top engine designer at a major manufacturer who believed it was possible five years ago. The technology has only gotten better since.
|
machine
8/13/2012 7:27pm
Yes, I hear the model A Ford is coming back too.....
8/13/2012 7:32pm
machine wrote:
well their engines are in the current mx line up..so you're right
8/13/2012 7:33pm
i read the article earlier today, pretty good stuff, and i wouldn't be surprised at all if there was a serious comeback within the next 3-5 years

The Shop

8/13/2012 7:41pm
Honestly, I don't care as much about emissions. I want to know if they can be made competitive again.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/13/2012 7:48pm
Honestly, I don't care as much about emissions. I want to know if they can be made competitive again.
Sure, take 5 minutes and change the rulebook to be un-retarded. Bam, they are competitive (and better) Smile
8/13/2012 7:53pm
seth505 wrote:
Sure, take 5 minutes and change the rulebook to be un-retarded. Bam, they are competitive (and better) Smile
competitive how? cc for cc a 2 stroke is better. period.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/13/2012 7:56pm
seth505 wrote:
twosmoke30 wrote:
I think you quoted the wrong dude, dude
8/13/2012 7:59pm
seth505 wrote:
twosmoke30 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
i got you both, but it was directed towards you
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/13/2012 8:06pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2012 8:06pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
seth505 wrote:
twosmoke30 wrote:
i got you both, but it was directed towards you
Ah, I was saying what you are saying basically. I'd rather a 250 2stroke over a 4 (why I ride a 2smoke) but the 250f bikes are so hopped up and rather easy to ride that you can still have competitive racing between the two.
8/13/2012 8:09pm
oh ok, and yes which is why they should be engine size based classes vs the # of strokes, and get rid of that stupid handicap that the 4 strokes have
2T42
8/13/2012 8:27pm
Here's CW's prototype: [img]http://www.cycleworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Husqvarna_300_Concept-Final.jpg[/img]
Here's CW's prototype:
Thanks for posting that. I was in a hurry and uploaded the wrong pic. I do like that 125 tho! Dont think that was what they had in mind for a street bike.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/13/2012 9:56pm
After several years of my sons 250f having to need major rebuild, even with regular maintenance and checking valve clearance,(broken valve that went through the piston, main bearing that developed a crack in the inner race. Stupid shit like that, that costs $1,500-$2,000 to fix. He asked to go back to a 2 stroke. Last month we bought a new yz125. I'm told that there is a big increase in sales of 2 strokes. KTM is said to have sold every 2 stroke they imported. So yes there is some sort of come back.
TM
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
8/13/2012 10:26pm
twosmoke30 wrote:
That's just as stupid as the current setup. Needs to be met halfway
MBR
8/14/2012 12:45am
I wonder how cheap, reliable and simple to maintain the two stroke with direct injection, HCCI, an oxidizing catalyst and a direct lubrication system would be?
sam111
8/14/2012 1:55am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2012 2:03am
I was pretty sceptical after reading the thread title, but I did find the article quite interesting. I have heard people talk about direct injection in two strokes, but had never seen many details of how it works. Whether it is ever put into production and if it has any influence on two stroke popularity remains to be seen.

I have always thought the emission laws were pretty stupid. The number of motocross bikes is so small in the grand scheme of things that they are not going to have a significant effect on the environment.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/14/2012 3:25am
i have been told the reason why direct injection has not made its way onto performance single cylinder 2 strokes yet is the voltage required to run the injector, it has to be at a very high pressure since it has a short time to get into the cylinder,

it will be an interesting if someone gets it working, the husqavana was rumoured to be out this year, but it is not in there 2013 line up
sam111
8/14/2012 3:53am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2012 4:00am
seth505 wrote:
twosmoke30 wrote:
For what it's worth, there has been "true" 125cc and 250cc classes in the NZ nationals since 2007. Most of the top guys started out on 250T's, but all ended up switching to 250F's in fairly short order. Former GP winner Daryl King has won the title the last two years on one of only a few two strokes in the field. He has stated that he rides it mostly for convenience and is usually faster on a 250F, though. It would seem that what the 250F lacks in HP it more than makes up in tractability, but both bikes have their own strengths and weaknesses, of course.

The average Joe's results and lap times will probably not change much whether he is riding a 450 or a 125. People need to realise this and choose the bike they think will best suit their needs. What the pro's ride does not directly effect us. This argument is futile and tiresome.
Racer92
8/14/2012 6:11am
MBR wrote:
I wonder how cheap, reliable and simple to maintain the two stroke with direct injection, HCCI, an oxidizing catalyst and a direct lubrication system would be?
All I can tell you is I have a Mercury Optimax 90hp outboard with Direct Injection and its the best running outboard Ive ever owned. Always fires up instantly regardless of weather/temperature, no fouled plugs, jetting woes, bowl-float/needle/seat issues, and gets awesome fuel mileage per hour operated.

The morons that are ignoring the benefits of 2-stroke direct injection technology are kidding themselves.
neysbo
8/14/2012 6:28am
I certainly would like to see 2 strokes make a big comeback.

In my mind though until a couple of the big 4 in Japan get on board with this new technology and start producing off road bikes with it we will not see much of a growth.
newmann
8/14/2012 6:35am
machine wrote:
Reincarnated as a YZ400F.
newmann
8/14/2012 6:43am
Competitive again? They never were uncompetitive. They were phased out by some brain dead numbnuts in Ohio who couldn't see beyond their greased palms.

"The American Motorcyclist Association. Protecting your right to ride whatever Honda wants you to."
Hoov
8/14/2012 6:46am
The moratorium on displacement for 4 strokes was only originally going to be for one year...just sayin'
8/14/2012 7:14am
MBR wrote:
a heck of a lot cheaper than a 4 stroke with efi
cpj36
8/14/2012 7:52am
MBR wrote:
twosmoke30 wrote:
a heck of a lot cheaper than a 4 stroke with efi
And we don't actually need any of that garbage to produce mx bikes anyway.

Everyone says mx can't justify having it's own specialized product but it's sort of always had that, and if it can't, why do they invest so much more resources in mx / sx than in the rest of the off road world?
2T42
8/14/2012 8:21am
No matter how much more complicated a 2 stroke motor ever gets, it will always have 157 LESS spinning, friction causing, power robbing, short lived heavy parts.

The EPA never told Honda to lead the 4 stroke de evolution. It was a business plan.

Post a reply to: Two-stroke Resurrection - Can two-stroke engines make a comeback?

The Latest