Two Stroke in Toronto

Starcrossed
If there is any chance that Ronnie Ford qualifies for a Supercross night program, this would be the race. The entry lists are typically shorter for both classes for the Canadian round, so if you want to see a two stroke racing SX, this is the race where it is most likely to happen. Should be interesting.
|
sam hain
2/27/2017 7:52am
He looked terrible in Atlanta, dude crashed every practice he was in and looked like a newb riding a 2stk. How he has a pro license is amazing. I'm not trying to be a dick but I've never seen a local pro/A rider ride like he was. A couple times I was waiting for the med mule to come scrap him up.
mb60
2/27/2017 8:06am
This is what is wrong with the AMA or Feld and the road to supercross. You get guys like him or Vicky Golden that is not good enough period to ride these events. If you can't watch practice and say enough is enough before you get hurt or hurt someone else. Seems kind of harsh but in reality but the sport has no time for riders like this.
DoctorJD
2/27/2017 8:08am
sam hain wrote:
He looked terrible in Atlanta, dude crashed every practice he was in and looked like a newb riding a 2stk. How he has a pro license...
He looked terrible in Atlanta, dude crashed every practice he was in and looked like a newb riding a 2stk. How he has a pro license is amazing. I'm not trying to be a dick but I've never seen a local pro/A rider ride like he was. A couple times I was waiting for the med mule to come scrap him up.
During qualifying I heard a two stroke on the track, and I said, "hell yea!". Then I saw the guy riding and I instantly knew that he had no chance in hell. In fact, I feared for his safety. The only way he makes a main is if they simply don't have the riders to complete the field, kind of like the Vikki Golden deal last year.

I know it may sound harsh, but that's simply the reality.

ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/27/2017 8:14am
mb60 wrote:
This is what is wrong with the AMA or Feld and the road to supercross. You get guys like him or Vicky Golden that is not...
This is what is wrong with the AMA or Feld and the road to supercross. You get guys like him or Vicky Golden that is not good enough period to ride these events. If you can't watch practice and say enough is enough before you get hurt or hurt someone else. Seems kind of harsh but in reality but the sport has no time for riders like this.
Ronnie Ford has actually been grandfathered in one the rules, he didn't do the road to Supercross. At least Vicki was actually faster than a few guys at some rounds she competed in and her percentages to the top times weren't as spread out. The only rounds Ronnie has had a faster laptime than someone in a session, is when that someone crashes on the first lap or two and doesn't set an "at speed" laptime.

The Shop

Motofinne
2/27/2017 8:18am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 8:20am
It's amazing that he is allowed to enter the track. It doesn't matter who you are or what kind of bike you ride i can't see anything positive with having a rider that is close to 30 seconds off the pace on the track.

Riders like Ford should not be allowed to try to qualify for the highest level of our sport.
MXD
2/27/2017 8:42am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 8:52am
I remember there was another example of this in Daytona in 2005. The guy had no business being out there. For comparison's sake, Reed was the fast qualifier that day with a 56.9. This guy's fast lap was 2:27.3. His second best time was 3 minutes flat. And if you look up his results on the AMA website, he has run the Unlimited C and 50B class as recently as last year. The system is broken.

http://results.americanmotorcyclist.com/riders/18548-mark-cyphers/resul…

hvaughn88
2/27/2017 8:44am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 8:53am
What kind of lap times are the KJSC riders running?

Edit: I just checked it. Wow, kind of an interesting comparison.
mxb2
2/27/2017 8:45am
cameron96 wrote:
We need Stank Dog
He is making $$ on the dark side lol. Figured the smoker not making him any money .
mb60
2/27/2017 8:51am
ML512 wrote:
Ronnie Ford has actually been grandfathered in one the rules, he didn't do the road to Supercross. At least Vicki was actually faster than a few...
Ronnie Ford has actually been grandfathered in one the rules, he didn't do the road to Supercross. At least Vicki was actually faster than a few guys at some rounds she competed in and her percentages to the top times weren't as spread out. The only rounds Ronnie has had a faster laptime than someone in a session, is when that someone crashes on the first lap or two and doesn't set an "at speed" laptime.
Michael,

Why is nobody watch for these riders at each round ? It does not take a genius to figure out the riders who do not belong on the track. Seems like only a matter of time before someone gets hurt with riders rolling around the track.
2/27/2017 8:56am
Both drag racing and indy car racing have a system where experienced drivers need to "sign off" on someone's license. They watch the runs to make sure that the driver is reacting safely enough to line up next to.

I think something like this needs to be implemented here. Or, you put a simple "% of fast time" rule in there. It's not safe or fair to others out there.

No one needs to be grandfathered: you just change the rule.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
2/27/2017 8:58am
I thought in SX the AMA officials watched closely during the early, untimed practice sessions and anyone not consistently clearing the triples and/or blitzing the whoops was immediately yanked from the program? I know I had heard of this in years past.
500guy
2/27/2017 9:01am
mb60 wrote:
Michael, Why is nobody watch for these riders at each round ? It does not take a genius to figure out the riders who do not...
Michael,

Why is nobody watch for these riders at each round ? It does not take a genius to figure out the riders who do not belong on the track. Seems like only a matter of time before someone gets hurt with riders rolling around the track.
They are watching and they do know but since He is allowed to race according to the rules what can they do ?

As much as we all complain that we feel the rules are a sliding scale, they really are not.

The only way to stop this from happening would be some kind of lap time percentage rule. or in this case a you ain't good enough rule.
Motofinne
2/27/2017 9:04am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 9:06am
mb60 wrote:
Michael, Why is nobody watch for these riders at each round ? It does not take a genius to figure out the riders who do not...
Michael,

500guy wrote:
They are watching and they do know but since He is allowed to race according to the rules what can they do ? As much as...
They are watching and they do know but since He is allowed to race according to the rules what can they do ?

As much as we all complain that we feel the rules are a sliding scale, they really are not.

The only way to stop this from happening would be some kind of lap time percentage rule. or in this case a you ain't good enough rule.
MotoGP have a rule that if your best time is a certain percent off the leaders you won't be able to race. I think a few Moto3 wild card riders have been really close to that percent a few times.

Edit: I just googled it. I think it's a FIM rule that was first applied in F1. Called the 107% rule. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/107%25_rule
slipdog
2/27/2017 9:08am
mb60 wrote:
This is what is wrong with the AMA or Feld and the road to supercross. You get guys like him or Vicky Golden that is not...
ML512 wrote:
Ronnie Ford has actually been grandfathered in one the rules, he didn't do the road to Supercross. At least Vicki was actually faster than a few...
What exactly is the Grandfather rule, if you now?

I mean what the hell, right? I'm his age, I have a Husky 2-Stroke and I still get license renewal emails from AMA. I think I've been riding enough this year with my new bike to give it a go. Hell, I think I can beat Mike Tyson!
pmshortt2
2/27/2017 9:09am
I'll have to say, I supported him a lot in the beginning and what he was doing. Now it's getting dumb, get off the track before you hurt somebody
NVA57
Fantasy
1560th
2/27/2017 9:10am
Motofinne wrote:
MotoGP have a rule that if your best time is a certain percent off the leaders you won't be able to race. I think a few...
MotoGP have a rule that if your best time is a certain percent off the leaders you won't be able to race. I think a few Moto3 wild card riders have been really close to that percent a few times.

Edit: I just googled it. I think it's a FIM rule that was first applied in F1. Called the 107% rule. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/107%25_rule
Dont/Didn't MXGP have that rule as well? I vaguely remember they had a rule like that to prevent slow locals in fly aways.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
2/27/2017 9:14am
What is the point now?
RyanD797
Fantasy
302nd
2/27/2017 9:34am
In 1996, when you could run both classes, I signed up for both 125 and 250 for St. Louis. I had a borrowed 250 that I had ridden a couple of times. After practice, one of the AMA officials came up and politely asked me how I felt out there. I said I felt pretty confident on the 125, but kind of sketchy on the 250. He asked if I thought it might be a good idea to sit out the 250 and concentrate on the 125. I agreed, they happily refunded me for the 250 class and here I am still alive today. I didn't make the night show and I didn't get last in the daytime qualifying races either, but I'm pretty sure I didn't belong out there on a 250 at the time. I thought the AMA handled my situation pretty well. I think Ronnie might even have been signed up at that race Smile

Same year, 1996 Indianapolis(I only signed up for 125 at this race, no beef from the AMA), someone got black flagged in practice for safety. It was really easy to get your "pro" license back then.
scooter5002
2/27/2017 10:38am
slipdog wrote:
What exactly is the Grandfather rule, if you now? I mean what the hell, right? I'm his age, I have a Husky 2-Stroke and I still...

I mean what the hell, right? I'm his age, I have a Husky 2-Stroke and I still get license renewal emails from AMA. I think I've been riding enough this year with my new bike to give it a go. Hell, I think I can beat Mike Tyson!

Ssslipdog say WHHHAAAA?

mxbum
2/27/2017 10:51am
slipdog wrote:
What exactly is the Grandfather rule, if you now? I mean what the hell, right? I'm his age, I have a Husky 2-Stroke and I still...

Now you're talking Slippy. Forget LL's, I will see you at the Indy SX.
bruce
2/27/2017 11:05am
MXD wrote:
I remember there was another example of this in Daytona in 2005. The guy had no business being out there. For comparison's sake, Reed was the...
I remember there was another example of this in Daytona in 2005. The guy had no business being out there. For comparison's sake, Reed was the fast qualifier that day with a 56.9. This guy's fast lap was 2:27.3. His second best time was 3 minutes flat. And if you look up his results on the AMA website, he has run the Unlimited C and 50B class as recently as last year. The system is broken.

Crazy how fast these guys are, even the C practice guys.

Jason Vienot #762 caught my eye. Him and a few other guys used to FLY around the fair tracks around here when he showed up.

Also just goes to show you how insanely fast the top few riders each year are. Crazy stuff when you think about what they can do on a dirt bike.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1116th
2/27/2017 11:14am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 11:15am
mb60 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
See, this is where I disagree with the AMA's rulebook. It basically says 'once a Pro, always a pro'. Even in the amateur ranks when you are an A or expert level rider, they won't let you back down unless you've been out of the sport for a few years and they deem that you are slow enough to go back down a level. Don't get me started on the older age group amateur classes.... So Maybe Mr Ford is trying to prove a point.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/27/2017 11:17am
I'd say he's on the radar of the officials, but to this point hasn't been a hazard to himself or others.
Katoomey
2/27/2017 11:38am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 12:09pm
GuyB wrote:
I'd say he's on the radar of the officials, but to this point hasn't been a hazard to himself or others.
not to be a dick, but...no shit....... Why would anyone think differently?

The officials ARE professionals. Why wouldn't we assume they know what they're doing? How about we let them do THEIR job, eh?

If the AMA thinks he's ok to ride, then he's ok to ride. Their's nothing to debate- the AMA doesn't care if you agree with them. And why should they, none of you know what the fuck you are talking about.

Where I come from, telling someone else how to do their job, will get you a fat lip and a knot on your head.
2/27/2017 11:39am
Man, i wonder if he will read all this.....
sam hain
2/27/2017 12:15pm
GuyB wrote:
Katoomey wrote:
not to be a dick, but...no shit....... Why would anyone think differently? The officials ARE professionals. Why wouldn't we assume they know what they're doing? How...
not to be a dick, but...no shit....... Why would anyone think differently?

The officials ARE professionals. Why wouldn't we assume they know what they're doing? How about we let them do THEIR job, eh?

If the AMA thinks he's ok to ride, then he's ok to ride. Their's nothing to debate- the AMA doesn't care if you agree with them. And why should they, none of you know what the fuck you are talking about.

Where I come from, telling someone else how to do their job, will get you a fat lip and a knot on your head.
Thing is how he rides isn't safe for himself or others around him. I never saw him jump the triple, he rarely jumped the finish line. Doubling into the rhythm section before the triple was chore for him, the rhythm section before the sand section he wrecked in several times. He wrecked a couple times in whoops and almost looped out once or twice. KJSX kids maneuvered the track better than him.
web mx
2/27/2017 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/27/2017 12:43pm
MXD wrote:
I remember there was another example of this in Daytona in 2005. The guy had no business being out there. For comparison's sake, Reed was the...

MXD, He got to do the same thing at daytona the very next year on a yamaha and the mototalk guys had a meltdown and when you watched it he was in his 40's,kinda fat and going so slow he didnt even double jump anything. He literally was a vet C maybe B class rider. Couldn't believe the AMA didnt yank him.
Same thing happened in 2010 at Indy SX, a fellow vital member tried qualifying and showed up way overweight and best time was 26 seconds slower than 40th in timed practice. He stated that since he usually jumps all the jumps that he thought he should be out there.(He didnt do the triples)
I dont know why some of these guys think that just because they can jump the jumps at local tracks that they think they have the skills to race at the premeir level?? I really hope no one gets hurt by letting this go on!!

Post a reply to: Two Stroke in Toronto

The Latest