Trying to decide, KX/CR 500 or 250 2 stroke

scooter5002
9/1/2011 10:52am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 10:56am
I've ridden a 500 since 92. Owned other bikes while I've had it as well, and still preferred it. Ride a lot of sand, and while I don't know if it's the same as where you ride, I've been to the Croom a few times. THAT sand is way more whooped than ours, likely because it wasn't groomed, but it's definitely looser than my area. The key to riding a 500 is being smooth. Carry speed, and stay a gear high. The sensation will not be something you are used to, but you will go fast without realising it. Until you come rocketing into a berm and blow it. Ride it like a 250 and it will eat you up, your motos will be 2 laps long. You might even think you're in shape from riding all season, but you will find out otherwise once you throw a leg over the big-bore. My personal recommendation is a CR500. I owned a Kaw, and while it had awesome power, it didn't corner worth a shit. Firmly believe Kawi built that bike as their desert king, not a moto bike. Go get one, and enjoy. Just respect it. Hours of fun and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. Oh ya. Might not hurt to hit the gym a couple times a week once you get it. p:s If you find it has too much crank inertia, try and find a later model CR250 ignition set-up. Shaves weight off the crank.
yota
9/1/2011 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 12:57pm
I've ridden a 500 since 92. Owned other bikes while I've had it as well, and still preferred it. Ride a lot of sand, and while...
I've ridden a 500 since 92. Owned other bikes while I've had it as well, and still preferred it. Ride a lot of sand, and while I don't know if it's the same as where you ride, I've been to the Croom a few times. THAT sand is way more whooped than ours, likely because it wasn't groomed, but it's definitely looser than my area. The key to riding a 500 is being smooth. Carry speed, and stay a gear high. The sensation will not be something you are used to, but you will go fast without realising it. Until you come rocketing into a berm and blow it. Ride it like a 250 and it will eat you up, your motos will be 2 laps long. You might even think you're in shape from riding all season, but you will find out otherwise once you throw a leg over the big-bore. My personal recommendation is a CR500. I owned a Kaw, and while it had awesome power, it didn't corner worth a shit. Firmly believe Kawi built that bike as their desert king, not a moto bike. Go get one, and enjoy. Just respect it. Hours of fun and you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face. Oh ya. Might not hurt to hit the gym a couple times a week once you get it. p:s If you find it has too much crank inertia, try and find a later model CR250 ignition set-up. Shaves weight off the crank.
I spend a lot of time at Croom and the 500 is a blast there. I love the whoops and its funny to see guys from out of town struggle in the sand and the whoops (not to mention the heat and humidity). of course when I go up to north georgia or tennessee it's funny to watch me struggle in the rocks.
Ing
9/1/2011 1:00pm
500, hands down.
9/1/2011 1:11pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 1:25pm
yota wrote:
I spend a lot of time at Croom and the 500 is a blast there. I love the whoops and its funny to see guys from...
I spend a lot of time at Croom and the 500 is a blast there. I love the whoops and its funny to see guys from out of town struggle in the sand and the whoops (not to mention the heat and humidity). of course when I go up to north georgia or tennessee it's funny to watch me struggle in the rocks.
How often are you out at croom? I am out there alot as well. Would love to check out your AF, I am contemplating building a 5th gen when my KTM sells. We are going to Bostwick this Sunday to ride

The Shop

yota
9/1/2011 1:22pm
mine. (if you've seen this before I apologize). 03 CR125 chassis. everytime I ride this it's like a kid in a candy store.

yota
9/1/2011 1:26pm
yota wrote:
I spend a lot of time at Croom and the 500 is a blast there. I love the whoops and its funny to see guys from...
kaboom645 wrote:
How often are you out at croom? I am out there alot as well. Would love to check out your AF, I am contemplating building a...
How often are you out at croom? I am out there alot as well. Would love to check out your AF, I am contemplating building a 5th gen when my KTM sells. We are going to Bostwick this Sunday to ride
I should be out there next sunday. I haven't been out there in 3 months as I bought a new house and have been working on the old one every freaking weekend so I could get it on the market. this coming weekend should finish it up and I'm jonsing to ride. last year i was there like 40 sundays.
Overdrive
9/1/2011 2:14pm
yota wrote:
mine. (if you've seen this before I apologize). 03 CR125 chassis. everytime I ride this it's like a kid in a candy store. [IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q201/devrep/09%20CR500Af/Croom10-4-09005.jpg[/IMG]
mine. (if you've seen this before I apologize). 03 CR125 chassis. everytime I ride this it's like a kid in a candy store.

That looks so good!
edgo897
9/1/2011 3:46pm
yota wrote:
kaboom645 wrote:
How often are you out at croom? I am out there alot as well. Would love to check out your AF, I am contemplating building a...
yota wrote:
I should be out there next sunday. I haven't been out there in 3 months as I bought a new house and have been working on...
I should be out there next sunday. I haven't been out there in 3 months as I bought a new house and have been working on the old one every freaking weekend so I could get it on the market. this coming weekend should finish it up and I'm jonsing to ride. last year i was there like 40 sundays.
I can go next Sunday if you want to try my 05 RM250. I like to ride early before the crowd shows up. I do two or three long motos in the pit and leave. I live a half hour away.
nytsmaC
9/1/2011 4:03pm
I wouldn't advise a KX500. They're fun if you want to hill climb or hit desert whoops 5th gear pinned with one hand, but not so much on the track. When you grab a handful of throttle the bike stands up and goes straight. Blowing up berms and railing inside lines isn't going to happen. Square off and roll it on in 3rd, which isn't real exciting or fun. Try to fight it and as mentioned above you'll be exhausted in 2 laps, and trying to hold onto these things with jello arms can get pretty scary.

I bet if you buy a 500 you'll love it at first but you'll be looking to sell it and get something else in the not too distant future.
EastFlorida
9/1/2011 4:08pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I wouldn't advise a KX500. They're fun if you want to hill climb or hit desert whoops 5th gear pinned with one hand, but not so...
I wouldn't advise a KX500. They're fun if you want to hill climb or hit desert whoops 5th gear pinned with one hand, but not so much on the track. When you grab a handful of throttle the bike stands up and goes straight. Blowing up berms and railing inside lines isn't going to happen. Square off and roll it on in 3rd, which isn't real exciting or fun. Try to fight it and as mentioned above you'll be exhausted in 2 laps, and trying to hold onto these things with jello arms can get pretty scary.

I bet if you buy a 500 you'll love it at first but you'll be looking to sell it and get something else in the not too distant future.
nytsmaC,

Ya know, that is what I was thinking. I was curious if the novelty would wear off after a few rides and then I'd be wishing for a 250 again. Good insite!

Thanks
9/1/2011 4:10pm
edgo897 wrote:
I can go next Sunday if you want to try my 05 RM250. I like to ride early before the crowd shows up. I do two...
I can go next Sunday if you want to try my 05 RM250. I like to ride early before the crowd shows up. I do two or three long motos in the pit and leave. I live a half hour away.
I will be out there next Sunday dong motos( not this Sunday) You will probably find me out in the center of the front pit. Usually you cant miss me

9/1/2011 5:25pm
I love CR500s. My only problem with them is getting it started since I'm 5'8" and 145lbs. I've only ridden steel frame CR500s and even being primarily a 125 rider, I have never had trouble adapting to it. Every time within a few laps, mainly to adjust my throttle hand to the power delivery, I was railing corners. I didnt find any issues with turning either, you use the rear brake and throttle to square off inside lines. I will have a CR500 eventually, but if I had to only have one bike it would be a 250 2T.
yota
9/1/2011 6:24pm
I'm 5ft 8in 170, 58 yrs old and mine starts one kick most times. bring to tdc, let the kicker back up and push thru the stroke firmly. has a starting drill like a 4 stroke. there are a few guys doing compression releases in the head too.
yota
9/1/2011 6:28pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I wouldn't advise a KX500. They're fun if you want to hill climb or hit desert whoops 5th gear pinned with one hand, but not so...

nytsmaC, Ya know, that is what I was thinking. I was curious if the novelty would wear off after a few rides and then I'd be...
nytsmaC,

Ya know, that is what I was thinking. I was curious if the novelty would wear off after a few rides and then I'd be wishing for a 250 again. Good insite!

Thanks
they surely aren't for everyone, I see a lot of guys get these, get all excited about them and then quickly sell them. they can hurt you for sure. if you make it thru a year or so and get over the fear you are pretty much hooked. i put mine together in feb 09 (:
Roscoe33
9/1/2011 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 6:33pm
CamP wrote:
The biggest issue I had with the CR500 is turning. They have a huge 79mm stroke crankshaft which acts like a big gyroscope. This makes the...
The biggest issue I had with the CR500 is turning. They have a huge 79mm stroke crankshaft which acts like a big gyroscope. This makes the bike more difficult to change directions.
The 500 is good in the sand and thats about it, this is a vintage racer now compared to any new 2 -stroke.

my first pick would be a new or used KTM 300 XC or EXC. good wide power band and easy to ride.
Crush
9/2/2011 3:37am
Not what you are asking for but I test rode a KTM 150 the other day...

Holy Shit Balls it was fun!!! In fact, all our mates who rode it said it was the funnest bike they rode all day... Then the 250, then the 350...

And this coming from guys who all race 450s... Except me, i'm 2-strokin for life - KATO300!
CR500Rider
9/10/2011 7:22pm
reded wrote:
Another thing to think about, the 250's have modern suspension components whereas the 500's aren't really up to date. Parts are still plentiful for the 250's...
Another thing to think about, the 250's have modern suspension components whereas the 500's aren't really up to date. Parts are still plentiful for the 250's as well.
Parts are plentiful for the CR500 as well, not that you'll need much more than chain/sprockets and a rear tire.
9/10/2011 8:02pm
Neither, get a 4 stroke and help out the parts department at your local dealer..........

Post a reply to: Trying to decide, KX/CR 500 or 250 2 stroke

The Latest