Truck tailgate trick with bikes loaded in back

DoctorJD
8/28/2015 1:35pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Winner. And a guy that rides makes the gates. Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their...
Winner. And a guy that rides makes the gates.

Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their exhaust until the reach the track???

Ice, I ask myself that same question when I'm trying to start my bike at the track and realize that it's still in there. Actually, I leave it in there until I ride, then I chunk it in my toolbox. It's easier for me to keep up with it that way.
blusmbl
8/28/2015 2:53pm
Hallzilla wrote:
Ready Ramp, Had mine for 10 years, still works perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/ReadyRamp-I-Beam-Full-Sized-Extender-Black/dp/B00…

And you can ride your bike up !
X3. I've got a ready ramp and have used it for multiple bikes, including my 850lb Harley. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

For the original poster- with the 6 3/4' bed on my Ram I'd just remove the tailgate completely for hauling 2 bikes, and then ratchet strap the ramp and fuel cans in the bed. It's free.99!

njracer46
8/28/2015 3:22pm
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook...
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook the other end to your foot peg and snug it up. Do this on both sides as not to warp your tailgate. Then just push the gate forward and yank the release handle and the hooks fall out in order to unload. Been doing this for 30 years.

Or you could go here.
www.dgmtailgatesupport.com
This

Take this

Put one of each corner of your tale gate and run a Ty down to a foot peg, no frayed cable or worry of it coming off going down the road
Motoxdoc
8/28/2015 3:53pm
The cool thing about the ready ramp is that it's not just a bed extender but it's also a wide ramp. Wide enough to ride your bike up it. No more pushing your bike into the truck. Fire her up and ride her in!

The Shop

nytsmaC
8/28/2015 5:12pm
newmann wrote:
That puts your tailgate at about the right angle to lift the gate off on the right hand side. One good pothole in the road and...
That puts your tailgate at about the right angle to lift the gate off on the right hand side. One good pothole in the road and it could fall off. Seen it happen. Easy fix and theft preventative is to wrap a hose clamp around the right side tailgate hinge.
Done that, it sucks. My tailgate didn't fall off but the posts came off of the pins, and was held on there by the straps as in the picture. Sounds good, right? Except the tailgate posts hammered on the back corners of the box under the tail lights for the next hour or so.

Readyramp is the best solution for a shortbox by far. Why carry a ramp AND an extender when you can get one that does it all?
crusher773
8/28/2015 6:14pm
Double hitch hauler leaves the bed to put stuff and close the tailgate.
Rdubs19
8/28/2015 6:21pm
I've always had GM trucks, Z71 and currently a Canyon and both had two sets of pins so that you can let the gate go flat or stay up at an angle. I'm able to put my YZ250F in the canyon completely straight and have the cables on the higher pins to keep the gate at an angle . I can't believe all trucks don't have that.
7I3N
8/28/2015 9:42pm
If you locate your eyelets so you can tie the bike down with the front wheel turned into the corner of the bed instead of straight, you can close the tailgate with a six foot bed.

rmzrider91
8/28/2015 11:05pm
I always take a strap and push the hook into the tailgate lock until its latched then run the other end to a footpeg. Pull it tight against a tire, then when you get to the track simply pull your tailgate lever to release the strap.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
8/29/2015 1:44am
Good thread with lots of good tips. I have a Nissan Frontier & have used Motogate. I can't recall if I've every tried to angle the bike to see if tr tailgate will close. I thinks the bed is shorter than 6'. I'll try tomorrow.

I really like the ready ramp. This so the first time I've seen it. I've been looking for a bed extender on CL here & there, but I like the 2 in 1 deal. Think I'll get one of those when I have some extra cash!
MXD
8/29/2015 4:27am
I have a super crew F150 which is like a true 5.5 ft bed. I just load my bike diagonally and close my tailgate. I never carry 2 bikes but if I did, I would go the bed extender/ready ramp route.
Frodad78
8/29/2015 6:40am
Another vote for the Motogate here, My Tacoma bed is way too short. Plus the Motogate is good for anything else you are hauling that is too big for the bed of the truck. Multi use product me thinks.
philG
8/29/2015 7:00am
Stick the front wheel into the corner, with the bars locked over and put a block under the back wheel to lift it up, its enough to make the difference, especially when you get the wheel centre higher than the top of the tailgate.
rubarb
8/29/2015 8:16am
Motoxdoc wrote:
readyramp.com,,,,I've got one and they are awesome!!!
Best product for this need, hands down. Bit pricey, but definitely quality hardware. Few months ago, I was getting ready for a long distance adv ride and was in dire need of a ready ramp, decided it was time to pony up and get one. So I hot ordered one and long story short wasn't going to get it in time. Turns out the owner of the company (Ready Ramp) saw all my urgent emails and called me up. Being in close proximity (San Clemente) he offered to let me borrow his. Well, I was able to pull if off without having to borrow his, but consider this customer service...didn't even know the guy but was willing to let me borrow his shit for a week.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/29/2015 12:31pm
NATEP231 wrote:
I always wished that they made this truck! Still stuck in my head from that long ago http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/autoshows/sema2000/chevrolet/customized/silverfox.html[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/29/103285/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
I always wished that they made this truck! Still stuck in my head from that long ago http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/autoshows/sema2000/chevrolet/customize…

You wouldnt miss any moto folks with that

Post a reply to: Truck tailgate trick with bikes loaded in back

The Latest