Truck tailgate trick with bikes loaded in back

casper
Edited Date/Time 8/30/2015 4:56pm
My tailgate wont close with both bikes in the back and I've seen people use straps to hold it semi-closed but has anyone used the tailgate latches to hold up the tailgate? I always thought that some company should make shortened straps for this purpose but I just figured I would try this. The only thing I'm concerned about is the strap on the tailgate is resting on it's stop and it's at an angle. Besides that, I think it should be fine? The bikes rear tires have about 1/2 inch of clearance and are not resting on the tailgate(one is a 250 and the other a 450), so the only pressure on the straps is the weight of the tailgate itself.

|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
8/28/2015 9:26am
Yeah that method works well. Eventually the cables start fraying which sucks when they poke your fingers. But i've been running that for a few years now and no major issues...

When will someone come up with the tilting reverse camera so you can still use it in that position!?!
Motoxdoc
8/28/2015 9:29am
readyramp.com,,,,I've got one and they are awesome!!!
2slow4u
8/28/2015 9:39am
get a Gator Gate, the net tailgates, awesome for when you go ride and they're cheap as hell. Or just get a bed extender but they're not so cheap.

The Shop

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
8/28/2015 9:43am
I have a short wheel base truck that we use alot. Most of the time its two bikes but sometimes three. With gear fuel food tents and a little grille. I use two traps each bike unless there is three and that bike is tied to the outer two. I have never had a anything fall out cause of a tailgate being down.
8/28/2015 9:43am
Are your bikes front wheels angled into the corners of the truck bed ? If they're not the tailgate will probably close if you load that way.
Moto Mofo
8/28/2015 9:44am
Disconnect the upper end of the cable, run a tiedown from it to the footpeg. Lift tailgate as far as it'll go, then tighten tiedown. Voila!
peelout
8/28/2015 9:45am
2slow4u wrote:
get a Gator Gate, the net tailgates, awesome for when you go ride and they're cheap as hell. Or just get a bed extender but they're...
get a Gator Gate, the net tailgates, awesome for when you go ride and they're cheap as hell. Or just get a bed extender but they're not so cheap.
luckily my F150 came with a bed extender built in, well worth the money in my opinion.
Outsider
8/28/2015 10:04am
I'm in the process of trademarking and distributing a revolutionary new product for this purpose... it's groundbreaking, trust me!

2slow4u
8/28/2015 10:08am
I use an old Nissan Hardbody to get my bikes to the track, it's old and the tailgate doesn't like to stay on when I close it behind 2 rear tires, the nets work great for that.
Jaybird67k
8/28/2015 10:24am
I put 3 in and close the gate. I can't live with ought an 8 foot bed. I remember my little yota and I had to leave my gate open.....hated that.

Jason

BurtbaC
8/28/2015 10:27am
Jaybird67k wrote:
I put 3 in and close the gate. I can't live with ought an 8 foot bed. I remember my little yota and I had to...
I put 3 in and close the gate. I can't live with ought an 8 foot bed. I remember my little yota and I had to leave my gate open.....hated that.

Jason

Nothing replaces the ol' long bed. Miss mine but having a 4 door with a long bed in the city makes for one long neck daddy to get around.
DoctorJD
8/28/2015 10:32am
MotoGate. I've got a short-bed, and there's no way in hell I can shut my tailgate.

newmann
8/28/2015 10:34am
casper wrote:
My tailgate wont close with both bikes in the back and I've seen people use straps to hold it semi-closed but has anyone used the tailgate...
My tailgate wont close with both bikes in the back and I've seen people use straps to hold it semi-closed but has anyone used the tailgate latches to hold up the tailgate? I always thought that some company should make shortened straps for this purpose but I just figured I would try this. The only thing I'm concerned about is the strap on the tailgate is resting on it's stop and it's at an angle. Besides that, I think it should be fine? The bikes rear tires have about 1/2 inch of clearance and are not resting on the tailgate(one is a 250 and the other a 450), so the only pressure on the straps is the weight of the tailgate itself.

That puts your tailgate at about the right angle to lift the gate off on the right hand side. One good pothole in the road and it could fall off. Seen it happen. Easy fix and theft preventative is to wrap a hose clamp around the right side tailgate hinge.
casper
8/28/2015 10:43am
newmann wrote:
That puts your tailgate at about the right angle to lift the gate off on the right hand side. One good pothole in the road and...
That puts your tailgate at about the right angle to lift the gate off on the right hand side. One good pothole in the road and it could fall off. Seen it happen. Easy fix and theft preventative is to wrap a hose clamp around the right side tailgate hinge.
When I bought the truck it had a hose clamp on it like you said, I figured that's what it was for.
K-dubbb
8/28/2015 10:53am
+1 on the MotoGate, love mine and a must on a short box.

r.sal923
8/28/2015 11:05am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 11:07am

I have been told that amp research makes one of the best ones for moto, I drive a van, but if I had to use my truck for moto I would get this. ( I have also seen them used as a seat on the ground at the track)
40Plus_922mx
8/28/2015 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 12:34pm
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook the other end to your foot peg and snug it up. Do this on both sides as not to warp your tailgate. Then just push the gate forward and yank the release handle and the hooks fall out in order to unload. Been doing this for 30 years.

Or you could go here.
www.dgmtailgatesupport.com
IceMan446
8/28/2015 12:28pm
DoctorJD wrote:
MotoGate. I've got a short-bed, and there's no way in hell I can shut my tailgate. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/28/103186/s1200_IMG_1004.jpg[/img]
MotoGate. I've got a short-bed, and there's no way in hell I can shut my tailgate.

Winner. And a guy that rides makes the gates.

Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their exhaust until the reach the track???

peelout
8/28/2015 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 12:52pm
IceMan446 wrote:
Winner. And a guy that rides makes the gates. Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their...

Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their exhaust until the reach the track???

i can't tell you how many times i left mine in on accident, then got to the track and then jumped on and kicked until i was blue in the face because i forgot about that damn plug lol

i also put mine in when i left the track because usually i would stop and wash it on my way home
Vegas
8/28/2015 12:56pm
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook...
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook the other end to your foot peg and snug it up. Do this on both sides as not to warp your tailgate. Then just push the gate forward and yank the release handle and the hooks fall out in order to unload. Been doing this for 30 years.

Or you could go here.
Works great on my Tacoma and it looks like it would work the exact same on your tailgate
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
8/28/2015 1:00pm
I got the Ford one factory installed on my current F150 when I ordered it and I love it. It was only like $200 I think which I thought was a good deal. It's hard plastic and locks in place so it can hold the gate down even if nothing is riding on top of it during transit. When not in use it just folds away with half of it in the left corner and the other half in the right corner. I understand the regular and long beds being more convenient when hauling but there's no way I could live with my truck being any longer. It's a crew cab short bed and is already difficult enough to maneuver around a tight parking area. And I need my back seat for my growing family.
NotCore
8/28/2015 1:04pm
DoctorJD wrote:
MotoGate. I've got a short-bed, and there's no way in hell I can shut my tailgate. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/28/103186/s1200_IMG_1004.jpg[/img]

IceMan446 wrote:
Winner. And a guy that rides makes the gates. Only thing I cannot understand about the photo is, why do guys run the plug in their...

Because in many places it may rain on the way to the track. You may not have that problem in Sacramento.
TailSoHard
8/28/2015 1:14pm
I always just strap my duffel bag between the two rear wheels and let everything else just sit back there. I have a rubber mat on my bed so nothing really slides around anyway.
Outsider
8/28/2015 1:23pm
The steel hook of an every day bike tie down will fit right into the latch part of the tail gate on many trucks. Then hook...

Or you could go here.
Exactly!

I don't run it to the footpeg though... if the bike comes loose then so does the gate. I run it to the post where the latch goes. It may not cinch up enough to be super tight but enough to keep your shit in
mx617
8/28/2015 1:34pm
My 05 Colorado comes with a second set of pins so you can actually move the cables and adjust how far the gate closes into three different positions. Makes so much sense I don't understand why no other trucks I've seen have this! We use it all the time hauling bikes around.

Post a reply to: Truck tailgate trick with bikes loaded in back

The Latest