Triples etc

3/2/2015 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/4/2015 4:05pm
Prob a stupid question but as I am from uk I have never been to supercross and after looking at a few of the pics it appears that the jump faces are obv large and looks as though most jumps will be 'blind' ie u can't see where ur gonna land! Is this the case then? That is all
|
Grieby54
3/2/2015 12:56pm
No, you cannot see the landing from the take off.
DemoDick
3/2/2015 12:57pm
I have never and will never hit a supercross triple unless I want to go to the the hospital but I can say having walked a for real SX track there is no way you can see beyond that takeoff. Things are HUGE!
Rowlands
3/2/2015 1:03pm
Who is the first guy to try these jumps ? I doubt making jumps is easy to get right ?

The Shop

3/2/2015 1:04pm
Grieby54 wrote:
No, you cannot see the landing from the take off.
Ok cheers guys...that's what I thought. Fuck that indeed! They make it look that easy on tv that u almost believe u cld hit it. Must be some thrill the first time tho, not knowing the right gear/correct speed to hit it to catch the landing right, not being able to see the landing just makes it soo much harder... Ad prob over jump it if anything, the guys look like they aren't even hitting them that quick and in a fairly low gear! Guess that's why they get the big bucks!
IWreckALot
3/2/2015 1:08pm
Rowlands wrote:
Who is the first guy to try these jumps ? I doubt making jumps is easy to get right ?
That's probably why they use the same guys who have experience with it for every race.
Rowlands
3/2/2015 1:15pm
Rowlands wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
That's probably why they use the same guys who have experience with it for every race.
Are you talking about the track builders ? Or the first guy to hit them ?
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
3/2/2015 1:21pm
Many jumps in supercross are like that. All you see is just a wall.

I remember the first time I ever hit a triple. It was about 65-70', so not quite as big as the SX triples. I had been doubling all day on my YZ 80 and by the end of the day that feeling started creeping in like I could easily clear it if I just held it on longer. But it's one of those things where you either go for it all the way or not at all. That feeling of absolute terror as I was approaching the face of the jump, with no way to tell if I was going too fast or too slow, will never leave me.

But the feeling of being mid-air, spotting the landing, and then landing perfectly down the backside is such a rush the first time you do it.

The pros could literally jump a triple in complete darkness just from muscle memory. It's second nature to them. But they make it look so easy that it's sometimes hard to grasp how hard that track actually is for us mere mortals.
rallendude
3/2/2015 2:08pm
Like most or all of you, I've never raced an AMA SX track. But I believe the triples are pretty much always the same. One of my favorite parts of a supercross day is watching practice. The factory guys typically hit the triples all first lap. I'm guessing the fact that they are always pretty much the same, and they walk the track early, gives them enough info to huck it first lap. The things the factory guys do with absolutely no forethought amaze me. We've got guys that I see locally just roasting the A class that go out there and look like me signing up for pro-class back home. Much props to anyone who goes out there and makes a half a showing.
3/2/2015 2:11pm
Aren't a lot of outdoor jumps blind as well? They are at Budds Creek. Most of the jumps all you see is a massive dirt wall and sky.
3/2/2015 2:23pm
Reminds me of the dropdown at Neeroeteren. All you see is dirt and then nothing behind it, until the front wheel is sticking over the edge and you're dropping down. First time i rode that place i almost shat my pants!
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
3/2/2015 2:27pm
Well I am here to tell you that you can not in fact see the landing, and that both of your ankles will break if you case one with stock moto suspension.

It was not fun at all.....
hillbilly
3/2/2015 4:35pm
They are laid out basically the same each week so once you jump one and get it down as to gear and engine sound and revs you got it from then on. The 1st time you follow someone ,least that is the smart way.
wreckitrandy
3/2/2015 4:53pm
Aren't a lot of outdoor jumps blind as well? They are at Budds Creek. Most of the jumps all you see is a massive dirt wall...
Aren't a lot of outdoor jumps blind as well? They are at Budds Creek. Most of the jumps all you see is a massive dirt wall and sky.
Tell it. My first lap of practice over what would later become Henry Hill, I was coasting along in third gear and it felt like the world went away! My heart was way up in my throat. Walking the track is so important. We were late getting there and didn't have time.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
3/2/2015 5:12pm
There's a jump out in the desert where we ride that's part of a dried up pond's dam with a perfect take off and long smooth downhill landing, (perfect in case of over jumping). I take people out in our RZR XP4 all the time and jump that jump without giving them any heads up. I just go driving down the back of the jump like we're just doing a little exploring (nonchalantly), then I flip around and pin it off the face of the jump without any notice. It launches us in the RZR perfectly about 20-25ft (distance wise, not height) - perfect trajectory and no kicker. Same kind of feeling as approaching a groomed MX/SX jump, nothing but wall staring you in the face, jumping into the blue sky, blind landing (I always make sure no one is around), etc. Scares the SHIT out of people I take on it the first time. Then the LOVE it and want to do it over and over and over. It's a great sensation, and really pretty safe with the long downhill. I then tell them, that's kind of what it's like to jump in MX, only about 3-5X longer and about 15-20ft higher off the ground with no safe landing if you come up short.

They instantly respect the sport about 1000X more.
hillbilly
3/2/2015 5:13pm
We went up to London KY for the 4str nats on year ,they had faced everything up. After the start is this big gap to flat called.the "can u" , I had jumped it a bunch before and had it dialed.

Came around this day on the 610 and ripped up the face and couldn't believe what I'd done.. I was so high that my flight had justl
leveled off when the landing went under me. Had the want to bail off. The track turns right and it looks like I'm going to land in the fence ,this emt is sitting on a quad there and I'm hitting the throttle as gravity comes back into play. The guy looks up and starts flogging the kickstarter, I land right beside him so hard my pegs dug in because the tires sunk in like 4 inches.. I jumped double the distance needed and was shaking so bad could hadly stand. I saw the divets I'd made the rest of the day ,got away with one.
Rooster
3/2/2015 7:00pm
While you cant see the landings, the track designers do go to great lengths to ensure that the distance on certain jumps are pretty standardized from week to week so you don't get guys wadding it up every week just figuring out the amount of throttle required to get over it.
phantom 662
3/2/2015 8:24pm
Great thread over one simple question. I can feel the rush! please continue.
Grizz
3/2/2015 8:27pm
Do most people not know this?
mxrider28
3/2/2015 8:57pm
TbonesPop wrote:
There's a jump out in the desert where we ride that's part of a dried up pond's dam with a perfect take off and long smooth...
There's a jump out in the desert where we ride that's part of a dried up pond's dam with a perfect take off and long smooth downhill landing, (perfect in case of over jumping). I take people out in our RZR XP4 all the time and jump that jump without giving them any heads up. I just go driving down the back of the jump like we're just doing a little exploring (nonchalantly), then I flip around and pin it off the face of the jump without any notice. It launches us in the RZR perfectly about 20-25ft (distance wise, not height) - perfect trajectory and no kicker. Same kind of feeling as approaching a groomed MX/SX jump, nothing but wall staring you in the face, jumping into the blue sky, blind landing (I always make sure no one is around), etc. Scares the SHIT out of people I take on it the first time. Then the LOVE it and want to do it over and over and over. It's a great sensation, and really pretty safe with the long downhill. I then tell them, that's kind of what it's like to jump in MX, only about 3-5X longer and about 15-20ft higher off the ground with no safe landing if you come up short.

They instantly respect the sport about 1000X more.
Want to share this desert spot? Im in Gilbert to and with the rain today looking to hit up the desert the next few days.
phantom 662
3/2/2015 9:22pm
Grizz wrote:
Most people? Yes, most people here on vital do. The other 7 billion plus in this world? The majority of them don't know diddly about our sport.
3/2/2015 11:53pm
Grizz wrote:
If u read my first post u would relise I am from uk.. Not really having supercross here as such I wasn't sure if most of the jumps were blind or not... That is all .
Rotaholic
3/3/2015 1:27am
I always hit triples or anything over 100 foot with my eyes open, jumping them blind is just asking for trouble
Grizz
3/4/2015 1:35pm
Grizz wrote:
If u read my first post u would relise I am from uk.. Not really having supercross here as such I wasn't sure if most of...
If u read my first post u would relise I am from uk.. Not really having supercross here as such I wasn't sure if most of the jumps were blind or not... That is all .
I know but I'm sure you have blind jumps in the UK too.
Randy Savage
3/4/2015 3:23pm
hillbilly wrote:
We went up to London KY for the 4str nats on year ,they had faced everything up. After the start is this big gap to flat...
We went up to London KY for the 4str nats on year ,they had faced everything up. After the start is this big gap to flat called.the "can u" , I had jumped it a bunch before and had it dialed.

Came around this day on the 610 and ripped up the face and couldn't believe what I'd done.. I was so high that my flight had justl
leveled off when the landing went under me. Had the want to bail off. The track turns right and it looks like I'm going to land in the fence ,this emt is sitting on a quad there and I'm hitting the throttle as gravity comes back into play. The guy looks up and starts flogging the kickstarter, I land right beside him so hard my pegs dug in because the tires sunk in like 4 inches.. I jumped double the distance needed and was shaking so bad could hadly stand. I saw the divets I'd made the rest of the day ,got away with one.
Dude.
That's awesome.
chuck317
3/4/2015 4:05pm
hillbilly wrote:
We went up to London KY for the 4str nats on year ,they had faced everything up. After the start is this big gap to flat...

it was can not for me

Post a reply to: Triples etc

The Latest