Traxxas RC cars...junkity junk junk.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:13pm
My son sold his nitro powered rc truck to buy a Traxxas Slash 4x4 electric since it would supposedly be less of a hassle to grab and go. In under an hours use, it broke a rt. front control arm. Down and out of service on day one, bummer. The hobby store where he bought it didn't have a replacement, bummer. Traxxas online had replacements available as a lt. and rt. set, so I ordered up two sets. Figured if I had a spare I'd never need it! Less than an hours worth of use again and some bearing in the driveline had seized up. The hobby shop had that so he was up and running again same day with only a couple hours lost and less than ten bucks fuel for the trip to the hobby shop. Back up and running with me at the controls and I made a wrong turn into the bushes. Again, broken right front control arm. Fortunately I had bought a spare set! Now I'm looking at two unused lt. control arms and all out of right control arms, but we are up and running again. Ten minutes later he's back in the house with a broken lt. rear control arm. Cool, I think the fronts and rears will interchange and I have two new ones. Only problem, when it broke, the end with the specially threaded screw/shaft is what broke off and now we're off in search of another special part. You gotta be freaking kidding me! They thrash the shit out of this thing at the SX races in the pits and talked of it being virtually indestructible. This thing has roughly two hours actual time on it.

Does anyone have a real punch list of parts required to beef this thing up and a list of spares to keep on hand? I found aluminum control arms online but they are all out of stock. Go figure.
|
Mx4life320
Fantasy
2789th
5/15/2011 10:11am
My buddy has a 2 wheel drive slash and swears the thing is unbreakable, but i had a bad experence with traxxas like 5 years ago so i bought a associated rc4t. broke it in a day, but it was my fault i drive into a tree.... but i dont know whats wrong with urs.. .Maybe the 4 x 4 are just weaker or the torque from the 4 wheel drive makes it weaker idk..
onenastynotch
5/15/2011 10:30am
big fan of the team associated short course trucks ....lipo batteries brushless motors.....great truck....we have a indoor track for them not far from here ill post some pics of the track....my buddies go every fri nite.....been racin the trucks for 6 months and other then 1 pinion gear zero breakeage....................kyosho makes a killer truggy too
onenastynotch
5/15/2011 10:32am
newmann wrote:
My son sold his nitro powered rc truck to buy a Traxxas Slash 4x4 electric since it would supposedly be less of a hassle to grab...
My son sold his nitro powered rc truck to buy a Traxxas Slash 4x4 electric since it would supposedly be less of a hassle to grab and go. In under an hours use, it broke a rt. front control arm. Down and out of service on day one, bummer. The hobby store where he bought it didn't have a replacement, bummer. Traxxas online had replacements available as a lt. and rt. set, so I ordered up two sets. Figured if I had a spare I'd never need it! Less than an hours worth of use again and some bearing in the driveline had seized up. The hobby shop had that so he was up and running again same day with only a couple hours lost and less than ten bucks fuel for the trip to the hobby shop. Back up and running with me at the controls and I made a wrong turn into the bushes. Again, broken right front control arm. Fortunately I had bought a spare set! Now I'm looking at two unused lt. control arms and all out of right control arms, but we are up and running again. Ten minutes later he's back in the house with a broken lt. rear control arm. Cool, I think the fronts and rears will interchange and I have two new ones. Only problem, when it broke, the end with the specially threaded screw/shaft is what broke off and now we're off in search of another special part. You gotta be freaking kidding me! They thrash the shit out of this thing at the SX races in the pits and talked of it being virtually indestructible. This thing has roughly two hours actual time on it.

Does anyone have a real punch list of parts required to beef this thing up and a list of spares to keep on hand? I found aluminum control arms online but they are all out of stock. Go figure.
dont use the alum arms....it will break the chassis if you crash it hard enough
newmann
5/15/2011 10:39am
dont use the alum arms....it will break the chassis if you crash it hard enough
That's exactly what I was thinking, but they attach to another sub assembly so damage to the actual chassis might not occur. Not sure if a larger tire or longer travel shocks might keep him running longer between breakdowns.

It's like the new phone that's cheap, but the $500.00 worth of app's is the killer....LOL

The Shop

jeffro503
5/15/2011 10:46am
All the short course trucks started really coming into play right when I was stepping out of RC racing. I raced the 1/8th buggie and truggy classes and did a little 1/10th 4wd buggy stuff as well. I quit doing all the RC car stuff around 2006 , and started focusing on RC airplanes instead....because I love to fly. I have since then jumped up into the $3000.00 - $6000.00 aircraft with everything from smaller electrics ( and a couple bigger electrics ) to 105" wingspan aerobatic airplanes with 116cc opposed twin motors.

BUT....the RC car stuff was fun when I did it. There is just no tracks around here any more , unless I drive 1.5hrs away. Traxxas was always the "K-mart" brand type rigs....in the racing aspect of the sport , they were popular in the MT class and that was about it , and they were never known for their durability back then. I ran Kyosho's and Mugen's in my 1/8th stuff , and those things are in a whole different league when it comes to racing. Not only are they ballistically fast , but extremely durable as well.

One thing some of you "new guys" to the hobby of RC will get to understand is....the cost of the first initial rig is cheap......but expect to pay that about 10X - 20X more for parts , hop-up parts , batteries , chargers , a descent radio , motors , tires....you name it! .that's where the hobby makes their money.

If you have a track to run them on.....then it is a fun little hobby to get into. Pretty competitive racing as well if the club has a lot of members.
looneytune
5/15/2011 10:50am
I raced a Slash indoors for a complete season and broke one control arm all year. That was because some idiot racer thought it would be funny to jump the track and try to hit me head on as a joke. I raced R/C cars for 3 years and had Losi 8ight nitro buggies and truggies, a Slash and an Associated SC10. The Slash was the best R/C truck I ever owned for money I paid for it. I had so much invested in R/C stuff, when I sold it all, I bought a used 08 CRF450. Nothing is unbreakable, shit happens. That Slash is a great truck.
eddie
5/15/2011 11:31am
thats very strange to hear , i had a slash 4x4 and that was the most durable rc vehicle i have owned BY FAR . it handled like a tank but was very durable . most people say the same thing so i am not sure why you are having so much trouble with yours . i would not use an aluminum arm though , that will just cause bigger problems .
5/15/2011 11:40am
do you have the 1/10th scale? i have one and i swear i couldnt break it if i wanted to. i have slammed it in to curbs and stuff WFO and it just keeps going. thing is a tank. only problem i have is keeping my batteries charged. Cool
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
5/15/2011 11:53am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2011 2:17pm
I bought a Slash 2wd about 3 weeks ago. I have broken it a few times already. Control arms, front camber blocks rear axle carriers. It does break but the amount of times Ive cartwheeled it down the street at 40mph I think it has fared pretty well. I talked with the guy at the hobby shop and he has kind of given me the rundown on what parts he recommends going with aluminum and which parts are best left plastic. The trucks are stupid fast and are a ton of fun.
sxf138
5/15/2011 12:05pm
I used to work at hobby shop, and got into RC cars. Boy are they fun, but that fun only lasted about 10mins then it broke. My suggestion would be (if you have the budget to) is for you and your son to stock a tool box with 2 of every part on the car. Go through the manual, write down all the vulnerable parts, which is just about everything, and order them online. Online would save you some coin. Specifically the plastic parts that break on low impact, that way if your out driving and break something, it can be a quick fix (for the most part).

Ps. Don't go with the aluminum. As someone else said, they are strong enough to transfer the force to different parts of the car.

But wait, I thought Josh Hansen said you can get away with just about anything on these cars. HA! Tongue
newmann
5/15/2011 12:18pm
mxrider225 wrote:
RPM! You wont break one, if you do they will replace it free. http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/4xSlash1.htm Let me know if you have anyother questions ive been into RC...
RPM! You wont break one, if you do they will replace it free.

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/4xSlash1.htm

Let me know if you have anyother questions ive been into RC for years.
Ordered enough for the truck plus a spare set. Thanks for the link.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3120th
5/15/2011 12:24pm
I used to be an RC hobbyist a few years ago, and RC cars just don't break like that unless you're carelessly driving them straight into things. Especially Traxxas RC cars, those things can take serious beatings before breaking down. My advice? Stop being reckless with the car. Yeah, they can take serious beatings, but they can also break, as you've seen. They aren't being advertised as Indestructible, so..
RMT
5/15/2011 12:32pm
I have the Associated SC10 and have cartwheeled down the street a million times. I also jump it off a wooden jump landing on the downside of the curb and have not broken a single thing in about a month of use. Sounds like I am getting lucky.
newmann
5/15/2011 12:38pm
Rewindcaz wrote:
I used to be an RC hobbyist a few years ago, and RC cars just don't break like that unless you're carelessly driving them straight into...
I used to be an RC hobbyist a few years ago, and RC cars just don't break like that unless you're carelessly driving them straight into things. Especially Traxxas RC cars, those things can take serious beatings before breaking down. My advice? Stop being reckless with the car. Yeah, they can take serious beatings, but they can also break, as you've seen. They aren't being advertised as Indestructible, so..
Not exactly being wreckless or careless or running them purposely straight into things. Not to say it hasn't been wrecked or ran into things either, because it obviously takes some sort of an impact to break things. But it is overwhelmingly obvious that they cannot take a serious beating. Not sure they can take a minimal beating at this point. Guess that's why several aftermarket sources are providing replacement control arms 'eh?
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
5/15/2011 12:42pm
mxrider225 wrote:
RPM! You wont break one, if you do they will replace it free. http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/4xSlash1.htm Let me know if you have anyother questions ive been into RC...

newmann wrote:
Ordered enough for the truck plus a spare set. Thanks for the link.
Good i only managed to break one arm from them. WOT into a curb, but they said it was from a faulty batch that had air in it. So have fun never breaking them!
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
5/15/2011 12:45pm
Rewindcaz wrote:
I used to be an RC hobbyist a few years ago, and RC cars just don't break like that unless you're carelessly driving them straight into...
newmann wrote:
Not exactly being wreckless or careless or running them purposely straight into things. Not to say it hasn't been wrecked or ran into things either, because...
Not exactly being wreckless or careless or running them purposely straight into things. Not to say it hasn't been wrecked or ran into things either, because it obviously takes some sort of an impact to break things. But it is overwhelmingly obvious that they cannot take a serious beating. Not sure they can take a minimal beating at this point. Guess that's why several aftermarket sources are providing replacement control arms 'eh?
The a arms are the weakest part. I mean these little suckers take alot of impact going 40mph to 0 instantly if you hit something. Do that with a real car and see if it takes no damage.
Clapped
5/15/2011 12:58pm
The Slash is a great truck. Great for bashing and just all around fun. SC10's are what to get if you're serious about racing. I have the Kawi edition Slash and have broken just about everything on it. I've replaced most of the plastic stuff with RPM products, holds up extremely well. I do suggest that you carry spares with you tho. Nothing ruins a day light breaking a hub or bearing carrier two laps into it.
skidsteer16
5/15/2011 12:59pm
mxrider225 wrote:

^This
5/15/2011 1:53pm
So I shouldn't get the Dirt3 pack with the Block Gymkhana replica?
skidsteer16
5/15/2011 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2011 2:33pm
So I shouldn't get the Dirt3 pack with the Block Gymkhana replica?
The 1/16 scales are a whole different ball game. In my experience they're very durable...the only thing I wish they'd improve is the shock design as they can blow out on the 1/16 scale e-revo when jumping big stuff. That shouldn't be as much of an issue with the rally cars.

Just note that the KB Gymkhana replica they include in that package with Dirt 3 is essentially this model with the KB body, green toe links, and Volk wheels. It has the 550 brushed electric motor...so it would probably only go 20-30 mph. Still plenty for tight quarters drifting, though.

Here's the KB Gymkhana replica traxxas sells by itself...it has the Velineon brushless system which is way more powerful.

My Mini E-revo's with the Velineon system can do standing double backflips when I'm running a 3S lipo battery!
mx836
5/15/2011 2:30pm
I've been at the RC car thing for about 15 years now and I've had one Traxxas. Spend the money the first time. I would suggest Associated, Ofna, Jammin, Losi, HPI, Durango, and the list goes on for short course trucks that are better than the Traxxas.
mx836
5/15/2011 2:31pm
Thanks to Traxxas for sponsoring the SX series though!
motosb
Fantasy
51st
5/15/2011 2:42pm
Question number one is how big is the track you are runnin on. The new rise to 4x4 1/10th scale trucks are cool, however they cannot compare to the 1/8 vehicles. Just pick one up and the sure weight alone will tell you which one lasts longer. The slash is perfect for a basher, and I do feel it is on the durable side, however go to an RC race and you wont see one of them on the track for a reason. Although I do think you are being a little hard on the truck. Its not junk, just king of the basher trucks. Of course Losi and AE are going to be better. The more you learn to drive, the less you will break, and be suprized how long it lasts.
5/15/2011 2:57pm
So where's the best place to buy the ready to run cars? Cox told me to o Associated but I just want something to run around the neighborhood. Retail on the real KB replica is $319?
skidsteer16
5/15/2011 3:01pm
So where's the best place to buy the ready to run cars? Cox told me to o Associated but I just want something to run around...
So where's the best place to buy the ready to run cars? Cox told me to o Associated but I just want something to run around the neighborhood. Retail on the real KB replica is $319?
I get most of my stuff online now...

A Main Hobbies
Tower Hobbies

I always supported my local hobby shop, but they finally closed their doors.
JLong
5/15/2011 4:08pm
mx836 wrote:
I've been at the RC car thing for about 15 years now and I've had one Traxxas. Spend the money the first time. I would suggest...
I've been at the RC car thing for about 15 years now and I've had one Traxxas. Spend the money the first time. I would suggest Associated, Ofna, Jammin, Losi, HPI, Durango, and the list goes on for short course trucks that are better than the Traxxas.
Yeah, and better have a box full of parts for those too... if you can find the parts.
tobz
5/15/2011 4:59pm
I've been thrashing my slash 4x4 for a awhile now, why you would replace those a-arms with stock ones is beyond me. I've managed to break one, replaced it with RPM arms, problem solved.

I've also replaced the silly telescoping driveshafts with tekno ones, much better. And threw a kingheadz motormount in it to get a bigger bearing in there.

Havn't had much of a problem from the truck other than my own stupidity, breaking a bearing with pliers while changing the steering bellcrank. And this thing has been getting a thrashing on stadiumx and motocross tracks, some of the hits it'll take are incredible.

It probably helps to do a bit of research on your truck to see what the common breaking points are, you would have found out that the a arms would be one of them. rctech.net is a good place for that. And from what i can gather, Traxxas are the best trucks out there that are built for bashing, all the other "track" trucks are fast, but break easy.
MX-LIFE.
5/15/2011 6:34pm
tobz wrote:
I've been thrashing my slash 4x4 for a awhile now, why you would replace those a-arms with stock ones is beyond me. I've managed to break...
I've been thrashing my slash 4x4 for a awhile now, why you would replace those a-arms with stock ones is beyond me. I've managed to break one, replaced it with RPM arms, problem solved.

I've also replaced the silly telescoping driveshafts with tekno ones, much better. And threw a kingheadz motormount in it to get a bigger bearing in there.

Havn't had much of a problem from the truck other than my own stupidity, breaking a bearing with pliers while changing the steering bellcrank. And this thing has been getting a thrashing on stadiumx and motocross tracks, some of the hits it'll take are incredible.

It probably helps to do a bit of research on your truck to see what the common breaking points are, you would have found out that the a arms would be one of them. rctech.net is a good place for that. And from what i can gather, Traxxas are the best trucks out there that are built for bashing, all the other "track" trucks are fast, but break easy.
I agree!! Traxxas was the first to produce the short course truck and they have been on roll with them they are very durable and the rpm aftermarket products are the way to go! If u really want durable rc gear go 1/8th scale.Mugen,losi,Associated make very good 1/.8scale and kyosho is the current 1/8scale buggy world champs. rcnet.com is a good place to find nice gear used and new with very good prices! And yes thank u traxxas for being 2011 SX sponsor
mxrider225
Fantasy
2881st
5/15/2011 6:40pm
Also traxxas tech support is the best in the buisness. So if something is wrong call them up, they will have the part to you in a few days no charge in most cases.

Post a reply to: Traxxas RC cars...junkity junk junk.

The Latest