Transworld and Reed

Crush
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2015 10:31am
|
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
6/30/2015 8:35am
That was terrible with the noise. That said, I thought it was funny to complain about being professional while calling the publication dickheads Laughing
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/30/2015 8:37am
Regardless of what you think of Chad about what he says and how he goes about his business, you gotta respect his decision. At the end of the day it's a work/life balance decision and you can't fault him for wanting to improve that balance. He's giving up on a personal goal and dream of his (running his own race team) in order to come home with less stress and baggage, which anyone who's been in that position knows is a positive move for improving your home life.

Plus, if this means he sticks around racing for a bit longer, the fans win too.

Once again, good luck Chad.
Grieby54
6/30/2015 8:43am
Those dickheads at TransWorld. I hate it when they do their jobs and report things that they're hearing.

The Shop

Micahdogg
6/30/2015 8:46am
I'm a Reed fan, but there is a fine line between being frank and being a jerk. I think a little work on his diplomacy would pay dividends.
newmann
6/30/2015 9:00am
How about some subtitles....sheesh.

I'll bet when it was all over and done Chad took his first breath of fresh air in a long time. Reed has made it tough to be a fan from time to time, but there is no denying he is a badass on a dirt bike. Multi time championships aren't just handed out. Best wishes moving forward!
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
6/30/2015 9:05am
newmann wrote:
How about some subtitles....sheesh. I'll bet when it was all over and done Chad took his first breath of fresh air in a long time. Reed...
How about some subtitles....sheesh.

I'll bet when it was all over and done Chad took his first breath of fresh air in a long time. Reed has made it tough to be a fan from time to time, but there is no denying he is a badass on a dirt bike. Multi time championships aren't just handed out. Best wishes moving forward!
Subtitles would have been great!
Camp332
6/30/2015 9:07am
Couldnt hear a damn thing Bro!
6/30/2015 9:14am
I've been a Reed fan since he came over and rode for YoT, he was always the underdog for the most part, chasing James, Ricky, Villo, Dungey. I'm not a fan of him being a dick, but that attitude is why he's a good interview, and IMO why he's able to keep coming out of no where to surprise us all with race wins. Transworld probably isn't too worried about his attitude towards them because how many people are going to click on those stories/videos because it's Chad Reed. Props to Reed for giving the Video interview and not snubbing them.
6/30/2015 9:16am
I love his interviews. He says what is on his mind and shoots you straight.

I don't blame Transworld for doing what they do but I can see it from Chads point of view as well.

bonseff
6/30/2015 9:56am
Matthes has a great podcast with McGrath where Meada pulled something similar. I think i cost him $250k
Canerat
6/30/2015 9:59am
I remember seen Reed for the first time at the San Diego SX in 1999. He came to wet his feet and finished 16th if my memory is correct. Long successful career and he has earned his right to give his opinion.

mtl
6/30/2015 10:04am
Many media outlets hold back news like this often for the exact reasons that Reed stated.

When people depend on you, there is an order of events in which these announcements need to occur in order to avoid fallout that has a negative effect on those employees and sponsors.

Reeds comment is right on point because TWMX tried to get the scoop and it upset the order of events...
Xeno
6/30/2015 10:25am
I hope his employees received some severance pay.
Micahdogg
6/30/2015 10:27am
If it were me, I would be breaking the news to my sponsors first. Just saying.
davistld01
6/30/2015 10:59am
Xeno wrote:
I hope his employees received some severance pay.
Somebody here said that Chad sent them an email notifying them that the show was over and he was "going home". Don't know if he paid Osterman and the boys' salaries out...but if that's true (and I don't know if it is), then that was a pretty big display of doucheness.
huck
6/30/2015 11:02am
Why would he be at a Shift deal, with a Fox shirt on?
Drfletcher
6/30/2015 11:06am
If he was at a Shift event, why is he wearing a Fox shirt?

mtl
6/30/2015 11:08am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2015 11:08am
davistld01 wrote:
Somebody here said that Chad sent them an email notifying them that the show was over and he was "going home". Don't know if he paid...
Somebody here said that Chad sent them an email notifying them that the show was over and he was "going home". Don't know if he paid Osterman and the boys' salaries out...but if that's true (and I don't know if it is), then that was a pretty big display of doucheness.
Sounds like bullshit to me...

Grant and Lars Lindstrom were at Pala together last Thursday. Both on Team22 Kawis, wearing Shift gear out of a white box truck.
500guy
6/30/2015 11:22am
just not sure what was so hard for Chad, aside for him figuring out race teams lose money.

He had a Team manager and some of the best personnel in the business, let them do their job and go race.
6/30/2015 11:23am
mtl wrote:
Many media outlets hold back news like this often for the exact reasons that Reed stated. When people depend on you, there is an order of...
Many media outlets hold back news like this often for the exact reasons that Reed stated.

When people depend on you, there is an order of events in which these announcements need to occur in order to avoid fallout that has a negative effect on those employees and sponsors.

Reeds comment is right on point because TWMX tried to get the scoop and it upset the order of events...
Maintaining the order of events is not Transworld's job. It's their job to publish accurate news and publish it before the other guys do. That's how journalism works, and it doesn't make them dickheads.
Is Chad a dickhead when he finishes ahead of another rider and upsets that order of events?
mtl
6/30/2015 11:29am
mtl wrote:
Many media outlets hold back news like this often for the exact reasons that Reed stated. When people depend on you, there is an order of...

Maintaining the order of events is not Transworld's job. It's their job to publish accurate news and publish it before the other guys do. That's how...
Maintaining the order of events is not Transworld's job. It's their job to publish accurate news and publish it before the other guys do. That's how journalism works, and it doesn't make them dickheads.
Is Chad a dickhead when he finishes ahead of another rider and upsets that order of events?
Wrong.

It's an unspoken courtesy. When a reporter checks their facts with the team, which TWMX obviously didn't do, they can be asked to not report on breaking news such as this until that order of events is kicked off.

In real media this happens all the time and stories get held back by hours or a couple of days out of respect for those that will be impacted.

TWMX isn't a real media outlet, more of an advertising platform for a few riders/brands that they bro down, so this shouldn't be expected from them.
6/30/2015 11:50am
huck wrote:
Why would he be at a Shift deal, with a Fox shirt on?
Doesn't fox make shift? Or own shift? Or something. I know chad wears some Fox products along with his shift gear, maybe he has a casual deal with fox as well.
6/30/2015 11:57am
mtl wrote:

Maintaining the order of events is not Transworld's job. It's their job to publish accurate news and publish it before the other guys do. That's how...
mtl wrote:
Wrong. It's an unspoken courtesy. When a reporter checks their facts with the team, which TWMX obviously didn't do, they can be asked to not report...
Wrong.

It's an unspoken courtesy. When a reporter checks their facts with the team, which TWMX obviously didn't do, they can be asked to not report on breaking news such as this until that order of events is kicked off.

In real media this happens all the time and stories get held back by hours or a couple of days out of respect for those that will be impacted.

TWMX isn't a real media outlet, more of an advertising platform for a few riders/brands that they bro down, so this shouldn't be expected from them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but TWMX contacted him for comment. He had the chance to give a statement for the story. We don't know how they TWMX handled it, they got the story and broke it before anyone else. We don't know how ethics played into this, maybe they tried to talk to chad to tell him they were going to break it and he played hardball and told them they're wrong. Maybe they just unethically got it from an unreliable source and broke it right away but the gamble paid off. Save the criticism for when they're wrong, which happens even to the big dogs like CNN and ESPN every once in a while.
6/30/2015 11:59am
mtl wrote:

mtl wrote:
Wrong. It's an unspoken courtesy. When a reporter checks their facts with the team, which TWMX obviously didn't do, they can be asked to not report...
Wrong.

I am aware of the dynamic, I've been a news reporter for 17 years.
In the original TWMX story, I read this: "TransWorld Motocross was unsuccessful in attempts to contact Reed for a statement."
That indicates Reed didn't want to talk to them. That's not a reason to hold a story, if they did have direct confirmation from team members. They aren't going to hold it just to be nice guys, because it's a big story.

shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
6/30/2015 12:25pm
Micahdogg wrote:
I'm a Reed fan, but there is a fine line between being frank and being a jerk. I think a little work on his diplomacy would...
I'm a Reed fan, but there is a fine line between being frank and being a jerk. I think a little work on his diplomacy would pay dividends.
Did you watch the interview? It really wasn't as harsh as it sounds on paper. He kind of grinned and explained why he didn't think it was cool of Transworld to break it so early.
Micahdogg
6/30/2015 12:34pm
Yeah, and you are right. It wasn't too bad as a whole, but seems like there are more and more instances of him sneaking in these pot shot comments. I remember he was doing that during the SX press conference at the start of the year too. I don't know, part of me feels like if anyone should know how the industry works by now, it would be him. If you don't have any news to break......maybe don't break it.
hvaughn88
6/30/2015 12:38pm
Am I missing anything too important in the video? I gave up trying to watch Transworld videos years ago.
Xeno
6/30/2015 12:46pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Am I missing anything too important in the video? I gave up trying to watch Transworld videos years ago.
This one will probably annoy you because there is a lot of background noise, so you can't hear Donn ask the questions.
Getndome
6/30/2015 12:46pm
I just hope this is the answers to his problems, we as fans need as many contenders on the line as possible weather you are a fan of each rider or not you are a fan of good racing and the only way good racing takes place is with as many quality contenders on the line as possible.

Post a reply to: Transworld and Reed

The Latest