Transit into NY/NJ Supercross

Jack mehoff
4/23/2014 8:48am
Look at the bus schedule I think it's the 163 local that goes through secaucus that has a stop on Patterson plank road
4/23/2014 9:17am
Great tip - thanks Jack Mehoff! I hadn't thought to look there.

I also just got a "travel advisory" from NJ transit confirming that the train only runs at 3:30 onward.
vockins
4/23/2014 9:24am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2014 9:40am
It says something about the state of NJ Transit and the Port Authority when a dude from Clifton is unsure about how to how to take public transit to MetLife. I'm from Brooklyn - I feel like I might as well be from Southern California in regards to getting to the stadium.

Your fastest / potentially cheapest bet seems to be splitting a cab from Clifton (assuming you are all there) and taking it to the stadium. It's unclear whether or not the buses and trains that get run for Jets/Giants games will be running for this event. I'll see what I can dig up.

http://www.metlifestadium.com/getting-here/public-transportation - it's not 100% clear what services will be available for the SX.

EDIT: You're right, no trains out of Secaucus until 3:30: http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ServiceAdjustm…
Glen
4/23/2014 10:43am
vockins wrote:
It says something about the state of NJ Transit and the Port Authority when a dude from Clifton is unsure about how to how to take...
It says something about the state of NJ Transit and the Port Authority when a dude from Clifton is unsure about how to how to take public transit to MetLife. I'm from Brooklyn - I feel like I might as well be from Southern California in regards to getting to the stadium.

Your fastest / potentially cheapest bet seems to be splitting a cab from Clifton (assuming you are all there) and taking it to the stadium. It's unclear whether or not the buses and trains that get run for Jets/Giants games will be running for this event. I'll see what I can dig up.

http://www.metlifestadium.com/getting-here/public-transportation - it's not 100% clear what services will be available for the SX.

EDIT: You're right, no trains out of Secaucus until 3:30: http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ServiceAdjustm…
You're right about that, not to mention the price! I would like to take the train and would leave from the Denville station, but it's $30 per-person! We are a party of six so that is hard to justify.

The Shop

4/23/2014 11:13am
Yeah, NJTransit really know how to declarify things.

We're not all coming from Clifton, unfortunately. A bunch of us are in Manhattan, a few are driving in from CT, and one is from Keansburg. I am really in Chatham now and never changed my avatar locale. But, yes, I have a monthly train pass and ride the damn thing every day and it ain't easy.

For those interested, though, I think Jack Meoff got me off on the right foot (Hey-O): I never thought to look at the local buses but the 160/161 from Port Authority puts you right there in about 20 minutes for $4.25. It leaves every 20-40 minutes.

And, Glen, I hear ya - that's ridiculous. The only counter I'd have to that is that it's cheaper than a DUI. That would certainly be a problem for me and my group. But if you've got a driver, then it's a no-brainer. Keep in mind that parking is $30 for a car!!! I thought that was a little excessive, so depending on gas mileage and parking, it might not be too terribly different. A train to Denville late on Saturday would be horribly painful, though, with tons of drunk kids and making local stops. That would hurt for sure.

If anyone knows about cab availability on Sat afternoon in Secaucus that route is still in play: I'd love to know.
RangerLee
4/23/2014 11:43am
Where are you coming in from? Are you in Pa by chance?

I am just driving there early, a bunch of us caravaning hitting the pits as soon as it opens.
4/23/2014 4:35pm
RangerLee wrote:
Where are you coming in from? Are you in Pa by chance? I am just driving there early, a bunch of us caravaning hitting the pits...
Where are you coming in from? Are you in Pa by chance?

I am just driving there early, a bunch of us caravaning hitting the pits as soon as it opens.
That almost sounds like an offer but we're coming in from NJ and NYC. But thanks, RangerLee! That's mighty kind of you. Hopefully I'll drink a few in the pits with you.
Mike Oxmall
4/23/2014 6:24pm
If things are the same they were a few years ago the 163,164 and 165 run every hour from port authority in Manhattan
4/23/2014 10:18pm
We are taking the train from New Haven, CT and I'm all confused on the cheapest best route to go! Leaving early Friday morning so I can pick up a bunch of passes (i have a few extra if anyone is looking). I'm hoping to be at the stadium by 2pm on Friday.
takitimu
4/23/2014 11:33pm
The 160 drops off between MetLife and izod up to two hours before the event and one hour after, you can see it on google maps on w peripheral rd, here's the schedule http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0160.pdf, basically ever 70 minutes from 9am from port authority gate 224, door 5.

I am not sure about that bus, but the one I get into Hoboken you have to get the ticket before you get on the bus, there are a heap of machines there for buying them.
4/24/2014 2:46am
Oneal, you coming in by train? Honestly, you might want to just grab a cab if you can afford the cash. It'd guess it'd probably be about 40-50 bucks. Let me know your general deal and I can help you try to figure it out if you want to go the hard/cheap way. I am worried about your transfer from the train station to port authority, then navigating your way through port authority. It ain't easy.
hellion
4/24/2014 5:08am
I've never been to the stadium, but only live about an hour and a half away. Can't I just drive there and park in a lot at the stadium?
4/24/2014 5:26am
Yes you can. It will cost you $30 to do that but that certainly works and will be the least dramatic route for sure.

My plan is to get as trashed as possible without missing the night show, ergo, me and my group don't have a designated driver, nor do we live in the same area. We're from Manhattan, CT and Jersey.
4/24/2014 5:28am
takitimu wrote:
The 160 drops off between MetLife and izod up to two hours before the event and one hour after, you can see it on [url=W Peripheral...
The 160 drops off between MetLife and izod up to two hours before the event and one hour after, you can see it on google maps on w peripheral rd, here's the schedule http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0160.pdf, basically ever 70 minutes from 9am from port authority gate 224, door 5.

I am not sure about that bus, but the one I get into Hoboken you have to get the ticket before you get on the bus, there are a heap of machines there for buying them.
Also, takitimu, I think that variants of 160/161/162/163 are leaving somewhat frequently all the time. If you use NJtransit.com and put Port Authority as your departure and MetLife Stadium as your destination, I see a 160/161/162/163 leaving every 20-40 minutes at all times so I don't think you have to be tied to event times for some of the routes. It's a little more flexible than it might seem.
jndmx
4/24/2014 5:34am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 5:35am
Yes you can. It will cost you $30 to do that but that certainly works and will be the least dramatic route for sure. My plan...
Yes you can. It will cost you $30 to do that but that certainly works and will be the least dramatic route for sure.

My plan is to get as trashed as possible without missing the night show, ergo, me and my group don't have a designated driver, nor do we live in the same area. We're from Manhattan, CT and Jersey.
"My plan is to get as trashed as possible without missing the night show"

Spoken like a true race fan....
LaughingLaughingLaughing
takitimu
4/24/2014 5:59am
Also, takitimu, I think that variants of 160/161/162/163 are leaving somewhat frequently all the time. If you use NJtransit.com and put Port Authority as your departure...
Also, takitimu, I think that variants of 160/161/162/163 are leaving somewhat frequently all the time. If you use NJtransit.com and put Port Authority as your departure and MetLife Stadium as your destination, I see a 160/161/162/163 leaving every 20-40 minutes at all times so I don't think you have to be tied to event times for some of the routes. It's a little more flexible than it might seem.
Agreed, though I think only 160 drops you beside the stadium, the others are on Patterson plank or other side road, not a major with gps enabled phones, but it'd be no fun if you had no idea where you were, she's a decent chunk of land meadowlands.

I was going to bus in/train out, but guess what you have to do a return ticket for the train.
Highsider
4/24/2014 6:36am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 6:37am
Way too complicated for a country boy.
I drove 800 miles from the STL SX to the Houston SX and drove my 40-foot rv right up to the front door of the dome.
They charged me $15.Unsure
4/24/2014 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/24/2014 2:19pm
Yes you can. It will cost you $30 to do that but that certainly works and will be the least dramatic route for sure. My plan...

jndmx wrote:
"My plan is to get as trashed as possible without missing the night show"

Spoken like a true race fan....
LaughingLaughingLaughing
Laughing Hey, we're tryin' to be responsible here! I hope I make the night show.
Jack mehoff
4/24/2014 11:28pm
Also, takitimu, I think that variants of 160/161/162/163 are leaving somewhat frequently all the time. If you use NJtransit.com and put Port Authority as your departure...
takitimu wrote:
Agreed, though I think only 160 drops you beside the stadium, the others are on Patterson plank or other side road, not a major with gps...
Agreed, though I think only 160 drops you beside the stadium, the others are on Patterson plank or other side road, not a major with gps enabled phones, but it'd be no fun if you had no idea where you were, she's a decent chunk of land meadowlands.

I was going to bus in/train out, but guess what you have to do a return ticket for the train.
They stop when you press the button on top , there is a little bus stop by the foot bridge from the izod center over to giants stadium even if you get off on Paterson plank road it's no more that a quarter mile walk in
Jack mehoff
4/24/2014 11:37pm
We are taking the train from New Haven, CT and I'm all confused on the cheapest best route to go! Leaving early Friday morning so I...
We are taking the train from New Haven, CT and I'm all confused on the cheapest best route to go! Leaving early Friday morning so I can pick up a bunch of passes (i have a few extra if anyone is looking). I'm hoping to be at the stadium by 2pm on Friday.
Your best bet is take the train down to penn station at that point you can either take the path train to Hoboken get a cab your about 10 miles from the stadium / grab a bus will take a little longer since you will make stops in 5 towns before u get there ,or huff it up ten blocks when u get out off penn station to the port authority bus station / look at the expess routes I think the first stop would be giants stadium
4/25/2014 2:42am
From CT, I thought he might be going Grand Central. And finding the Path (especially at 34th) can be a nightmare if you don't know what you're doing.
Vet57
4/25/2014 3:11am
Careful on those trains...

Post a reply to: Transit into NY/NJ Supercross

The Latest