Training for the heat and humidity ?

500guy
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2012 5:57pm
Do you think it's better to train all week in the heat and humidity

or to train in cooler temps and hydrate / rest the body to be prepared for 1 or 2 days of extreme conditions ?

outside of hydration can you really be prepared ?
|
DrSweden
5/27/2011 8:37am
I think it's better to train in the circumstances you are facing, if that means you are preparing equal hard. It's a bit difficult to give the exact right response here, because there are too many factors but resting the day before the event (?) is essential to start with, and letting the body to adjust to the new heat and moisture is also crucial because it will alter your sweat glands because you will sweat way more and as a consequence in the beginning you will loose salts etc because your glands are set for an diff environment, and you will get a serious salt deficiency (not good for the homeostasis in the body) which you have to compensate. After a few days (?) the glands will not reduce the amount of salts going out with the higher amount of water you will loose.

So go easy the first day, drink water and electrolytes to compensate for any loos and go harder each day until two days before the "event" and take break. FIll the body up with carbs, proteins and stuff (here people really don't know what to suggest since some say fat is equal good)...

What are you planning here?
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3835th
5/27/2011 8:38am
Being from Southeast Texas you just get use to it, been to California it was like 100 but didn't really sweat like at home, weird. Last weekend it was around 95 with 85% humidity took a quick 40 mile bike ride a little over an hour, broke a small sweat but nothing crazy, drink tons of water though. Normal regiment though for me is three 20 mile rides during the week, with mixed weights when not cardio and big ride on on the weekend or moto, try to take two rest through out the week and mix in a little swimming here and there. I think if you work out in it you get more use to, just keep hydrated, and drink a recovery drink afterwards always helps the day after.
35smom
5/27/2011 8:41am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2011 8:46am
Last year we started with a new trainer Frenchie Parmart. Joey stayed with him almost a month or so before Lorettas. They had no AC in the house or turned on in the cars. Ran and rode in the hot and humid weather, when we got to Lorettas Joey would not let us have the AC on in the motorhomee all week (that in itself was brutal!) but his riding reflected it. Joey was more than prepared but the loss of a front brake and 2 flat tires kept him away from a Championship

**excuse my first post Jay..for some reason without glasses I though it was Mike Burkeen that had postede that!
MXATC
Fantasy
2373rd
5/27/2011 9:05am
It's better to train for the conditions that you will be racing in for sure. Being acclimated to the heat/humidity, staying hydrtaed, and wearing the appropriate gear ia always important on top of all that.

The Shop

Wandell
5/27/2011 9:49am
I agree. I live in this crap. Usually during early May here it seems to go from 80 degrees and dry to 95 and humid overnight! I'm old and outta shape, but that first hot, humid day I can feel a huge difference in my riding/energy level within a few minutes.
rmpilot
5/27/2011 9:59am
shit, i cant guarantee i wont be sweating once it hits 50 degrees.....and thats walking.
500guy
5/27/2011 11:47am
Thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering why so many guy's were at Glen Helen yesterday and not somewhere getting ready for the brutal Texas conditions and then I thought maybe there was a different idea but it seems the consensus is to live and train it it and the body will adjust.

I don't mind the heat so bad here in AZ even to work out or ride in but come August when our humidity goes up it is brutal for me. without the humidity not so bad.
TeamGreen
5/27/2011 12:03pm
Jus' practice.

Train.

Hydrate.

And do it all in the Locale you'll be racin' in...IF you can...like K-Dub's been doin' all week.
raddad
5/27/2011 12:40pm
If you live in a state that does not get hot and humid till mid summer its hard to train for heat and humidity without going south. Here's what i do to remedy that, I do 20-30 minute sprints on my road bike up and down the steep roads in northern MN wearing a full coverage -70 snow suit with MX gloves, helmet and goggles..It works and cheaper than going south! That and brutal Kettle bell work outs and riding 4-8 20 minute motos a week and racing two classes on Sunday.
MXTRAINER1
5/27/2011 1:04pm
500guy wrote:
Do you think it's better to train all week in the heat and humidity or to train in cooler temps and hydrate / rest the body...
Do you think it's better to train all week in the heat and humidity

or to train in cooler temps and hydrate / rest the body to be prepared for 1 or 2 days of extreme conditions ?

outside of hydration can you really be prepared ?
Many of the replies are correct.
You MUST train in the conditions you are going to race in. Working out in the heat in Ca. is good but will not prepare you for the humidity of the east coast and southern areas.
Each rider is different on how they handle climate and extreme conditons, both physically and mentally.
Our gym does not have heat or air conditioning and when it is 110 outside it can be pretty humid and very hot, but it does prepare the rider for high intensity work under those conditions.
At times Ca. is not very hot, we will use a sauna with a stationary trainer to add a bit of humidity to the training,
Remember it takes 10 to 14 days to acclimate to hot weather, so the sooner you can start the better.
Plenty of fluids, good carbs, NO AIR CONDITIONING, electrolytes and race condition training will go a long way to prevent issues.
hope this helps.
Arkmx
5/27/2011 1:16pm
500guy wrote:
Thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering why so many guy's were at Glen Helen yesterday and not somewhere getting ready for the brutal Texas...
Thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering why so many guy's were at Glen Helen yesterday and not somewhere getting ready for the brutal Texas conditions and then I thought maybe there was a different idea but it seems the consensus is to live and train it it and the body will adjust.

I don't mind the heat so bad here in AZ even to work out or ride in but come August when our humidity goes up it is brutal for me. without the humidity not so bad.
Jay come visit for a week or two back here in June / July and your August Monsoon humidity will feel like it's not even there.

It's tough when you start sweating right out of the shower and it's hard to breath in the afternoons when outside.

So, good idea to train in or get acclimated to the conditions a week ahead of time, yes. Usually the first weekend of hot & humid weather kicks your but, then it gets better the more you are out in it during the summer months, but that first weekend is the roughest in my opinion no matter how good of shape you are in.

JG.
WR5
5/27/2011 1:25pm
Speeking of trainning i wonder what type of tranning RD1 is making to be so fittest?
WhKnuckle
5/27/2011 2:28pm
500guy wrote:
Thanks for the reply's. I was just wondering why so many guy's were at Glen Helen yesterday and not somewhere getting ready for the brutal Texas...

KDub is used to it already, but he's been riding on a local track north of Houston this week - long motos, fast, middle of the day. Here's a thread on our Houston moto board about it, if you go through there you'll find a link to about 200 photos of him.

http://www.houstonmotocross.com/theforum/viewthread?thread=44593
mxb2
5/27/2011 2:37pm
WR5 wrote:
Speeking of trainning i wonder what type of tranning RD1 is making to be so fittest?
Cleans his championship trophys LOL!
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
5/27/2011 4:41pm
I've been hitting the steam room at my gym to get ready for it. It seems to be helping so far.
calimxer91
5/27/2011 4:55pm
GuyB wrote:
I've been hitting the steam room at my gym to get ready for it. It seems to be helping so far.
30 + 2 in the jacuzzi does wonders!
iudi2006
Fantasy
229th
5/27/2011 5:05pm
GuyB wrote:
Yeah i hooked up P90X to my iPod and was doing that in the steam room also. After a few heat strokes and trips to the ER, my body has seemed to have gotten used to the heat and humidity.
PRM31
5/28/2011 10:57am Edited Date/Time 5/28/2011 11:00am
I think there are two aspects to this; fitness and acclimatization. It's better to train at low elevations and reasonable temperatures simply for the sake of getting the hardest workout that improves strength, endurance, etc. However, I think you have to be prepared for the environment you are in, especially the heat and humidity. The only way to do that I am aware of is to be in it. So, I do think you have to train in the heat and humidity to be mentally prepared for it.

Post a reply to: Training for the heat and humidity ?

The Latest