Trail drags? how to clear trails?

Agfracing
Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 5:05pm
Ive seen a few pictures in the past of people building drags to clear trails and build new trails. Ive seen a few made out of chain link fences and a few out of old palettes. Something I can tow behind my buddies utility quad. Now That im ready to build one I cant find any photos or information when I search. All I can come up with is trail drags for the winter time.

Anyone have any photos of stuff theyve built or seen? thanks
|
TX24
4/16/2015 11:41am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 11:50am
We had looked at those before. Where we saw them was at a Tractor Supply store .
They call them Loyal Drag Harrows.
Cygnus
4/16/2015 11:45am
Depends on the terrain you want to drag. I have a couple types I use for my driveway. One chai link with some tires on it for weight and the other is an old snowplow blade with a couple pieces of angle welded off the back for stability. The track I use a 10' John Deere dual disc.
Agfracing
4/16/2015 11:59am
Right now I have a small woods loop. Its literally maybe 1/6 of a mile. But its fun. There are lots of trails but they dont really connect together and they are wide open and boring. Theres lots of woods and tall grass/small trees. Im looking to build a drag that I can tow behind to sort of tear up the tall grass and maybe rip up the ground a little bit. Basically just make it easier to build a mile or two more of trails.
The tires in a fence idea seems like it would be good. The fence design would help tear up the ground a little bit and mow everything down.
Cygnus
4/16/2015 12:03pm
Agfracing wrote:
Right now I have a small woods loop. Its literally maybe 1/6 of a mile. But its fun. There are lots of trails but they dont...
Right now I have a small woods loop. Its literally maybe 1/6 of a mile. But its fun. There are lots of trails but they dont really connect together and they are wide open and boring. Theres lots of woods and tall grass/small trees. Im looking to build a drag that I can tow behind to sort of tear up the tall grass and maybe rip up the ground a little bit. Basically just make it easier to build a mile or two more of trails.
The tires in a fence idea seems like it would be good. The fence design would help tear up the ground a little bit and mow everything down.
Yea I have used it to knock down dead tumble weeds and it works good.

The Shop

dedi684
4/16/2015 12:05pm
I use old farm discs. It turns up the dirt and chops up the weeds.
Dtat720
4/16/2015 12:07pm
If you have any way of getting shrimp boat conveyor belts, that is hands down the best drag ever. It is heavy enough to not buckle or jump amd its hinged every 1". It will contour any terrain. Im in the south close to the coast though, so its easy for me to get. I have about 20' of it and use 5' sections to smooth my bmx track with. Its like glass after a few passes.
IWreckALot
4/16/2015 12:09pm
Out of curiosity, how vegetated is it? Could you just go through with a machete and hack the trail then just ride it? Are there any areas that are too tight to pull a drag through? Or can you get the 4 wheeler through all of it?
Agfracing
4/16/2015 12:18pm
I could go through with a machette and slash away. But Im looking at making a decent amount of trail, And I want it to be as wide as a noraml GNCC style track. So it would take forever. I figure If i can build a drag and tow it around for a few passes it would be a time saver. There are some really tight sections, But they arent over grown with weeds and tall grass. Gonna do some single track through there.
DownSouth
4/16/2015 12:27pm
If you have farmers in the area see if any one has an old combine feeder house chain laying in the weeds or in their boneyard. Tie on some old tires or cinder bocks for weight.

4/16/2015 1:36pm
If you don't find a solution, just make laps with your buddies utility quad to flatten it down, then it will be easy to cut with a machete, or a good pair of loppers. Believe it or not, the majority of fresh trail we put in a GNCC course is hand cut with machetes and loppers, and unless it's already fallen or absolutely has to be cut, we typically don't cut any trees that are bigger around than an average size arm.
mxtech1
4/16/2015 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2015 2:03pm
If there's much vegetation on the ground, a drag isn't going to do much good. Clearing or cleaning of free of debris is possible with the drag, but it's not going to be perfect. The vegetation can be so thick that that the drag just rides on top of the vegetation and doesn't really get any penetration.

We used to just go through and clear by hand to a width of 5'. After that we would run a mower through it and mow at the shortest setting possible. After that, just start riding it and you will be surprised how quickly a few bikes can break in a new section.

Late winter or early spring is the best time of the year to cut new trails in. Once the weather warms and the vegetation starts to grow, it instantly becomes 10X more work.
TX24
4/16/2015 4:36pm
Lop it and then bring in the friends with the 450s.
sleeve1
Fantasy
1921st
4/16/2015 4:58pm
i say walk and mark the trail that you want then get your buddies together and ride it.
so much fun cutting new trails in the woods.

Post a reply to: Trail drags? how to clear trails?

The Latest