This track is bitching. And the whoops!

|
honda123
4/16/2014 3:45am
who builds/designs/buys dirt or st louis they need a sx contract Wink

The Shop

level
4/16/2014 8:58am
Yeah, I watched that Sunday. Love that track.
4/16/2014 9:17am
FELD needs to change the schedule so that monster trucks go after the supercross so the dirt doesn't get beat down.

But Dirt Wurx needs some competition bad. Really what they need is more dirt, new dirt, and bigger obstacles with more 90 degree turns. Slow those guys down.

The dirt issue is probably FELDs fault. They probably don't pay enough to refresh the dirt and increase the stockpile.
IWreckALot
4/16/2014 9:23am
FELD needs to change the schedule so that monster trucks go after the supercross so the dirt doesn't get beat down. But Dirt Wurx needs some...
FELD needs to change the schedule so that monster trucks go after the supercross so the dirt doesn't get beat down.

But Dirt Wurx needs some competition bad. Really what they need is more dirt, new dirt, and bigger obstacles with more 90 degree turns. Slow those guys down.

The dirt issue is probably FELDs fault. They probably don't pay enough to refresh the dirt and increase the stockpile.
I thought they put the monster trucks after SX in most venues that they shared except A2 or A3.

Barcia was talking on PulpMX saying that one of the things he would change is adding way more dirt and like you said bringing in more dirt. It gives some credibility to the notion that the dirt isn't just a problem from the fan's perspective. I have to assume he's not the only rider that thinks that way.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
4/16/2014 10:01am
Reno AX is always a pretty bitchin track. The space they have gives them ability to make it a mini SX and it is always different every year.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/16/2014 11:32am
FELD needs to change the schedule so that monster trucks go after the supercross so the dirt doesn't get beat down. But Dirt Wurx needs some...

Why aren't you running this? You obviously have it all figured out.
berno929
Fantasy
2511th
4/16/2014 11:33am
I don't get how they could get away with that jump as a corner... and those bowl turns in the middle are amazing. Also The fans are closer to the track than in SX... It looks more dangerous to me than putting bowl turns in stadiums...
4/16/2014 12:17pm

GuyB wrote:
I'm sorry since you know it all, what did I say that is wrong?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/16/2014 1:28pm

GuyB wrote:
I don't know it all. I also don't pretend to.

I have very little understanding about how the dirt would be less beat down if the monster trucks went after the Supercross guys. It's dirt. I don't think it has to do with one (or three) weekends. This is stuff that's been used for years. In the case of Anaheim, there were guys washing the front end back in the day, as the moisture came out at night. This is nothing new.

Does the dirt at your local track wear out? How long has it been there?

I think the relationship with Feld and Dirt Wurx is more of a partnership. I'd be surprised if there was a bid process, and I'm not sure I'd want the people with the lowest bid building the tracks.

More dirt? That sounds awesome. How many more loads? How big an area? They have formulas to figure out the square footage, and how many truckloads are needed. But how many more truckloads would be enough to do what you're talking about? What's the cost per truckload? How much more time does that add to the build and removal? Also, in some cases (like the section that went into the stands in Detroit), there's a weight limit to how much can be put on it.

As for all the "probably" at the end of your post, Feld makes for an easy target. But I think you should probably have more facts when you're playing this game.

Random trivia...what would you guess the average weekly cost to put on a Supercross?
mx836
4/16/2014 1:33pm
TF212 wrote:
I think that Schaefer Tracks did it. They do the AX and Endurocross tracks.

http://www.schaefertracks.com/index.html
Pete Henderson would argue with you about who builds the AMA Arenacross tracks.
I hope he doesn't argue too hard, because that means even he can't remember that he doesn't build all the AX tracks.
4/16/2014 1:41pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2014 1:42pm
GuyB wrote:
GuyB wrote:
I don't know it all. I also don't pretend to. I have very little understanding about how the dirt would be less beat down if the...

I have very little understanding about how the dirt would be less beat down if the monster trucks went after the Supercross guys. It's dirt. I don't think it has to do with one (or three) weekends. This is stuff that's been used for years. In the case of Anaheim, there were guys washing the front end back in the day, as the moisture came out at night. This is nothing new.

I think the relationship with Feld and Dirt Wurx is more of a partnership. I'd be surprised if there was a bid process, and I'm not sure I'd want the people with the lowest bid building the tracks.

More dirt? That sounds awesome. How many more loads? How big an area? They have formulas to figure out the square footage, and how many truckloads are needed. But how many more truckloads would be enough to do what you're talking about? What's the cost per truckload? How much more time does that add to the build and removal? Also, in some cases (like the section that went into the stands in Detroit), there's a weight limit to how much can be put on it.

As for all the "probably" at the end of your post, Feld makes for an easy target. But I think you should probably have more facts when you're playing this game.

Random trivia...what would you guess the average weekly cost to put on a Supercross?
Sure you pretend to know it all everyday you come on here deleting post because you "know better"Cheerful

The dirt at my local track gets a regular rain shower. It doesn't sit under an overpass for a year then get compacted under monster trucks. Plus they are constantly adding stuff to it.

I never said take the lowest bid, those are your words. I agree FELD "probably" dictates to Dirt Wurx what they want done which is why I said they "probably" don't provide them the money for more dirt. Which is why FELD shares as much of the blame.

To be clear I would place blame on Dirt Wurx for track designs with a bunch of 90's.

I would say FELD is the one that cut off the bowl turns and won't pony up and bring in more dirt which limits Dirt Wurx in what they can do.

Random trivia... What do they "profit" on an average supercross?
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
4/16/2014 1:54pm

The Arlington, Tx round has the worst dirt on the tour, and the monster trucks go the week after supercross. It has nothing to do with the order, bad dirt is bad dirt.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/16/2014 2:06pm
The average profit? That's something I don't know. But I do know that putting on a Supercross isn't a charity event. I have no problem with them making a profit.

Which event stores dirt under an overpass?

Since when did bowl turns become the holy grail of Supercross? If I was running the show (and I'm not) I can completely understand why they don't do bowl turns near the stands. I've seen bikes launched into the stands at the L.A. Coliseum back as far as the 70s (I believe it was Monty McCoy).

One other note on AX (since that was the original intent of this thread), I was talking with Kyle Regal last weekend, he said the whoops are actually a lot bigger in AX than what they're doing in SX right now, and he said he showed up with Supercross settings, and that it took him about half the season to figure out his AX setup.
4/16/2014 2:14pm
GuyB wrote:
I don't know it all. I also don't pretend to. I have very little understanding about how the dirt would be less beat down if the...

If I bid $1.00 without going over do I get to spin the big wheel in the showcase showdown GuyB?

Just for fun, I will take a real stab at the cost to build the track each week....

3 12 hour days = 36 hrs build time
20 pieces of equipment x 36 hours @ $85.00 per hour = $61,200
30 guys x 36 hours at $65 per hour (labor burden included) = $70,200

So i will venture a guess at $131,400.00 - I actually hope you really know the answer....
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/16/2014 2:18pm
If I bid $1.00 without going over do I get to spin the big wheel in the showcase showdown GuyB? Just for fun, I will take...
If I bid $1.00 without going over do I get to spin the big wheel in the showcase showdown GuyB?

Just for fun, I will take a real stab at the cost to build the track each week....

So i will venture a guess at $131,400.00 - I actually hope you really know the answer....
Hahaha!

I like seeing people take real guesses at it. What I actually meant was the average production cost for the whole thing. Stadium, construction, crew, structures, running the show, etc.
Tracktor
4/16/2014 3:52pm
GuyB wrote:
GuyB wrote:

Dirt absolutely wears out. Washougal is a prime example of that. That said, I don't see it really being an issue in SX. Because of the types of obstacles built you are limited on what type of dirt you can use otherwise the tracks would just break down faster. The other part is the stuff is freshly built so it can't pack in over time. Anyone who has spent hours behind a dozer is in complete awe of what these guys do every week. That doesn't stop me from shaking my head sometimes while watching them prep between motos but then again I don't know the exact constraints they are working under.............Track building is a true art form.............
4/16/2014 4:42pm
If I bid $1.00 without going over do I get to spin the big wheel in the showcase showdown GuyB? Just for fun, I will take...

GuyB wrote:
Hahaha! I like seeing people take real guesses at it. What I actually meant was the average production cost for the whole thing. Stadium, construction, crew...
Hahaha!

I like seeing people take real guesses at it. What I actually meant was the average production cost for the whole thing. Stadium, construction, crew, structures, running the show, etc.
Ok I'm in for 131,401.

Just tell usAngry

Post a reply to: Tracks! Who builds/designs/buys dirt for Arenacross

The Latest