Track prep - Colorado and nationals in general...

Crush
Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 9:51am
Just listening to the colorado review at RacerX with Weege/JT & Matthes...

Who watched practice at Colorado? How bad was it? Had they already scraped the track bare of all the mud?

Just thought it kind seems counter-intuitive to "leave the tracks rough for the des-Nations" but then scrape mud off–they wouldn't do that over there.

How do we feel about it? Should it just be left and be a mudder? As dry as it was it seems like it would have been ok, especially on the side of a hill, but regardless, what's wrong with it being deep mud?
|
RY4N37
6/2/2015 2:55am
Crush wrote:
Just listening to the colorado review at RacerX with Weege/JT & Matthes... Who watched practice at Colorado? How bad was it? Had they already scraped the...

Who watched practice at Colorado? How bad was it? Had they already scraped the track bare of all the mud?

Just thought it kind seems counter-intuitive to "leave the tracks rough for the des-Nations" but then scrape mud off–they wouldn't do that over there.

How do we feel about it? Should it just be left and be a mudder? As dry as it was it seems like it would have been ok, especially on the side of a hill, but regardless, what's wrong with it being deep mud?
I didn't see what kind of condition the track was in prior to them scraping all the mud off, so I can't really comment on what it would've been like if they'd left it on. But it does seem pretty common practice in America to scrape all the mud off the track before the race. They did it twice last year, and once already this year. Just let them race, motocross is all about different terrain and different conditions. They are determined to create exactly the same racing surface at every track it seems
Crush
6/2/2015 3:02am
Don't get me wrong, i'm happy it turned out hard and slick and notchy, because as you say, it seems the surfaces have become a little more analogous over the past few years, but I don't understand why not just have a mudder?

The racing in mud is still good, it wasn't so wet the spectators wouldn't turn up, and they won't do that at the MXdN
RY4N37
6/2/2015 3:48am
Is it a concious effort to try and replicate what we have in Europe though, or are they just trying something different this year?

I don't see the harm in having a good old fashion mud race, especially seeing as the weather on race day was actually pretty good. The track would've improved a lot.

I just don't see why they have to add so much to the soil at each track. They seem to add saw dust and sand to nearly every circuit so they end up pretty similar. What's wrong with just racing on the natural terrain of that area. I thought Colorado was pretty good, obviously was pretty rutted because of the wet, but it was technical and challenging
Crush
6/2/2015 4:14am
No I don't think it is, but Decoster requested the 450s go 2nd to try emulate rougher conditions... Just seems that the logical follow on would be to also allow different conditions to appear when they do instead of man-handling it so much.

The Shop

h&m_cycle
6/2/2015 4:27am
Times sure have changed, scrape the track so the riders can clear the triples & large tabletops...

I hope it rains like hell in France @ the Des Nations...
Xracerdone
6/2/2015 6:17am
Thunder Valley is dangerous when muddy, sloppy & I think unrideable. That place gets rough as hell on practice days when it's dry. When it rains all the water pools at the bottom & it is terrible. I believe the majority of the jumps would have to be rolled if it was left muddy.
Brent
6/2/2015 6:56am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 6:57am
I went to amateur day and the national this year, because I hadn't been to the track and wanted to check it out to see if I wanted to ride next years Am day.

While MX Sports did an amazing job getting the place ready, I feel it was a scary track on pro race day. The problem was that it had rained everyday for weeks before the race and the whole place was just spongy.

They did scrape the track, and had hundred of yards of new top soil they put out, just to keep it from being a mud bog. Had they not scraped it the race would have taken a much bigger toll on riders.

In my opinion, that track was way more challenging than Glen Helen, even Ryan Dungey said it was borderline dangerous.

Probably the most technical race of the year so far.

karsmakers
6/2/2015 7:05am
RY4N37 wrote:
Is it a concious effort to try and replicate what we have in Europe though, or are they just trying something different this year? I don't...
Is it a concious effort to try and replicate what we have in Europe though, or are they just trying something different this year?

I don't see the harm in having a good old fashion mud race, especially seeing as the weather on race day was actually pretty good. The track would've improved a lot.

I just don't see why they have to add so much to the soil at each track. They seem to add saw dust and sand to nearly every circuit so they end up pretty similar. What's wrong with just racing on the natural terrain of that area. I thought Colorado was pretty good, obviously was pretty rutted because of the wet, but it was technical and challenging
But if they leave it muddy Kroc and Pourcel will run away with it....that's not fair to us Americans
RY4N37
6/2/2015 7:22am
karsmakers wrote:
But if they leave it muddy Kroc and Pourcel will run away with it....that's not fair to us Americans
Maybe. But they'll never get any better at it by not riding it
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/2/2015 7:27am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 9:11am
IMO this whooey abouttrack differences and what sort of prep we ought to be found is getting way overblown. I doubt Glen Helen will feel much different in September than it was in May. A track needs to have bones to work, and then it needs to be prepped according to its bones; I.e., local conditions and demands.

I also think it's a generational thing. Dust like we used to have to deal with is a thing of the past, and that is nothing but good. The track prep here is built around that as much as anything, trying to anticipate the quality of the track when the motos come around, particularly in view of the higher temps typically experienced here in the summer.

I'd rather accept that the GP guys can lean toward a more optimal outdoor setting because they don't ride SX and so don' feel the need for the familiarity of what they are used to after 4 months of SX. How tracks are prepped isn't going to address that, they certainly haven't addressed it by making national tracks smooth..

Tracks get prepped on both side of the pond. YS made a holy stink about much time they wanted to prep Budds in 07 (but that was as much a part of its BS campaign to disparage the NPG promoters). Even a lot of the "roughness" in tracks in both sides of the pond are the product of a prepped track settling in under the race weekend (ruts being the best example). The fact that a track is rough begs the question of whether it is rough in the classical sense or just beat. I've ridden plenty of tracks that were rough but rough because they were beat in the crappiiest way. Green grass and trees and yodeling locals don't make the racing surface good.

The compromise here has been to groom the tracks according to the need of the track for the final four premier motos. They should keep that paramount.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/2/2015 7:33am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 9:11am
Brent wrote:
I went to amateur day and the national this year, because I hadn't been to the track and wanted to check it out to see if...
I went to amateur day and the national this year, because I hadn't been to the track and wanted to check it out to see if I wanted to ride next years Am day.

While MX Sports did an amazing job getting the place ready, I feel it was a scary track on pro race day. The problem was that it had rained everyday for weeks before the race and the whole place was just spongy.

They did scrape the track, and had hundred of yards of new top soil they put out, just to keep it from being a mud bog. Had they not scraped it the race would have taken a much bigger toll on riders.

In my opinion, that track was way more challenging than Glen Helen, even Ryan Dungey said it was borderline dangerous.

Probably the most technical race of the year so far.

Having been to both, arms distance from them at speed, the momentum and speed they carry down the hills in the area where Marvin and Eli went down is unreal, even more IMO than coming down Mt St. Helens at GH. It just feels like the bike is being pulled down the hill, and that if a guy cartwheeled the bike wouldn't stop until it got to Pikes Peak.
6/2/2015 7:37am
Crush wrote:
Just listening to the colorado review at RacerX with Weege/JT & Matthes... Who watched practice at Colorado? How bad was it? Had they already scraped the...

It wasn't just a few days of rain, it rained like 28 out of 30 days in a place where it doesn't rain much. It would have been a shit show if they didn't scrape it, they did the right thing. It still affected the track and it was gnarlier than it has ever been there.
Olson
6/2/2015 7:44am
I watched practice. The track got worse for every lap they rode. I don't think it makes sense to prep the tracks to be like the GP's just because USA send THREE riders every year. They should do exactly like they've done in the past and I think that's what they also does. It's a bit of a win or lose to prep the tracks based on weather forecasts. No one can know for sure what's it going to be llke. I thought they did a good job. If it would've rained during the race, a track with sawdust and sand would've been a mess.
machine
6/2/2015 8:00am
First of all, they rip the tracks too deep to leave the mud on, if they didn't rip it deep, then the rain would just run off and then you could leave it alone. Had they not done that, it would have been a terrible race to watch. Some of you guys need to stick to watching GNCC racing, if that's your idea for good a motocross viewing experience.
DC
6/2/2015 8:02am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2015 8:02am
Track prep has nothing to do with the MXoN, everything to do with the weather, time, rider input and safety.
DC
MX Sports
Xracerdone
6/2/2015 8:03am
We have so much ground water right now my sump pit fills almost every half hour & I've burned out two pumps in the last month due to them running almost non stop. The last two days it seems to have slowed to about every 2 hours it discharges. Know how I found out my first pump fried? Woke up to 3" of water in my basement! So glad I purchased the sump pump rider on my home owners insurance! So many neighbors didn't have flood or sump coverage & are on their own with their basements. So many basements here flooded it took 4 days just to get the clean up crews out & I am still trying to get bids for the rebuild but everyone is backed up. I've never had these sorts of problems in the 21 years I've been here
machine
6/2/2015 8:07am
DC wrote:
Track prep has nothing to do with the MXoN, everything to do with the weather, time, rider input and safety.
DC
MX Sports
This is Vital, EVERYTHING has to do with the MXDN...Laughing
Crush
6/2/2015 9:13am
DC wrote:
DC
MX Sports
Do you get what I'm saying though? You put the 450s 2nd so they get rough track time at the request of Roger, for the mxdn, but surely then a wider variety conditions (and surfaces) would follow suit rather than trying to over-do it. Would the riders not been able to circulate?

Like I said, i didn't see practice (3am here?) so I don't know how muddy it was, but if it's rider safety, it seemed a lot of the riders thought the super hard slick hard ruts weren't safe either. Understand it's a no-win for people on your side, personally I'd say just prep the jump faces/landings and leave the rest, and more variety of soil the better.
motomike137
6/2/2015 9:51am
I think the thought process on this board that predicates everything revolve around the Des Nations is flawed for a couple of reasons. First of all as DC alluded to and FTE hit on each track is it's own unique entity and trying to manipulate them into being something that matches up with how a track might feel across the pond is a tall order. Secondly, most if not all of us on this board are hard core motocross junkies and we see the world through a mud spattered stack of tear offs. We think the right and only way is our view and we tend to forget that this is also a show that is meant to entertain people and ultimately sell tickets, t shirts and product. If the tracks are dangerous or insanely difficult simply in the name of living up to our expectations and riders either are getting hurt or just slowly picking their way around the track for the majority of a moto then we run the risk of turning off the casual fan imho. I like a balance especially in the outdoors, I want to see ultra rough sections but I like other areas where riders can easily vary line choice and carry tons of speed. I've been at Redddddddddddddddddddddd Buddddddddddddddddddddd! in years past when it had so much moisture in it and it was tilled/ripped so deep that parts of the track were just not that much fun to watch when you have factory 450's struggling just to plow through the deep soil and ruts. I have no problem with the equipment being wheeled out before motos to improve the show and rider safety.

Post a reply to: Track prep - Colorado and nationals in general...

The Latest