Track building tips

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/27/2011 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 1:15am
I don't know if this is the correct section to post, but if not feel free to move it. I am building a small track in our pasture for my son to practice on his 65. The biggest difficulty I am having id getting the berm turns set correctly. Is there a good way to lay them out so the pitch and the angle is right? The majority of the berms will be around 180 degree turns. I have gone out on my 250 and run the turns and also have had another rider on an 85 run where we want them, so just looking for a little build up advice/tips/tricks. I started a few but they are too tight and to steep. Thanks.
|
TJ 755
4/27/2011 5:05pm
doze-ride-doze-ride-doze. And dirt, lots of dirt. I scraped out my first track when I was 13 back in 1980. You will need tons of dirt.
4mxonly
4/27/2011 5:18pm
Aside from practice on heavy equipment, I would recommend building the track up, rather than skimming down into the ground. In other words, lay out your track and then skim dirt around the track to build it up and have dirt for building jumps, berms, etc. It will also properly irrigate your track when it rains... nobody likes puddles before jump faces.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/27/2011 5:25pm
Fortunately I have had quite a bit of dirt brought in (for free!) roughly 25 dump truck loads, so I shouldn't have to skim too much. I'm going to scrape the pasture with a gannon just to make sure it is fairly even and then I will build up from there. I have also been to the dirt wurx site, which is helpful and luckily I will have a pro doing the tractor work this time, so I guess it's just a matter of getting the lay out and flow down correctly. Thanks for the tips and please add more! I only want to do this once, if I can!

The Shop

Fantasy
4342nd
4/27/2011 5:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 5:40pm
Mr. Ted wrote:
Fortunately I have had quite a bit of dirt brought in (for free!) roughly 25 dump truck loads, so I shouldn't have to skim too much...
Fortunately I have had quite a bit of dirt brought in (for free!) roughly 25 dump truck loads, so I shouldn't have to skim too much. I'm going to scrape the pasture with a gannon just to make sure it is fairly even and then I will build up from there. I have also been to the dirt wurx site, which is helpful and luckily I will have a pro doing the tractor work this time, so I guess it's just a matter of getting the lay out and flow down correctly. Thanks for the tips and please add more! I only want to do this once, if I can!
25 dump truck loads? you're a lucky man. it took me roughly 4 years to scrap up the dirt on my track just to build a few jumps.
my ghetto track below..
Hank_Thrill
4/27/2011 5:32pm
Good thread!

I was coming here to post the exact same topic lol.

Anybody have any tips on what type of heavy equipment is the best to use? A big business owner in my town is wanting to build one, and me and a few other people are going to be helping out. I know a lot about what type of dirt is good (used to build bmx trails for about a decade). I've just never made a mx track before.
FIREfish148
4/27/2011 5:53pm
This is what I used to make a lot of my stuff. I used a shovel to make a rhythem section about 4 years ago. I'll post some pics when its not raining.
If you have a blade on the back of one of these it works realllly good for cutting up some berms.
skidsteer16
4/27/2011 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 6:03pm
Good thread! I was coming here to post the exact same topic lol. Anybody have any tips on what type of heavy equipment is the best...
Good thread!

I was coming here to post the exact same topic lol.

Anybody have any tips on what type of heavy equipment is the best to use? A big business owner in my town is wanting to build one, and me and a few other people are going to be helping out. I know a lot about what type of dirt is good (used to build bmx trails for about a decade). I've just never made a mx track before.
Unless you're moving huge quantities of dirt, a track loader (Skidsteer with rubber tracks) and a small dozer, D4-D5 (or equivalent) is all you need. I've built a couple private tracks with a track loader alone, so it's really just a matter of what you have access to and how much time you wanna spend in the seat.
Fantasy
4342nd
4/27/2011 6:05pm
this was my weapon of choice for the majority of my track. and a little help from our JD 4020

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/27/2011 6:11pm
Mr. Ted wrote:
Fortunately I have had quite a bit of dirt brought in (for free!) roughly 25 dump truck loads, so I shouldn't have to skim too much...
308 wrote:
25 dump truck loads? you're a lucky man. it took me roughly 4 years to scrap up the dirt on my track just to build a...
25 dump truck loads? you're a lucky man. it took me roughly 4 years to scrap up the dirt on my track just to build a few jumps.
my ghetto track below..
It's pool building season in AZ, so I posted an ad on Craig's List and got quite a few responses for dumping free dirt. Still waiting on more!
ShaneAUS
4/27/2011 6:11pm
On my track i used a 25t cat excavator to rough in most the jumps and berms as they utilize a bit of natural terrain, and a skid steer for maintenance
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
4/27/2011 6:12pm
BTW I don't consider that ghetto by any means!

Post a reply to: Track building tips

The Latest