Torn Labrum, left shoulder

Spagina767
Edited Date/Time 4/24/2015 10:08pm
Hurt my shoulder, riding in 2007. It got mostly better. Re-injured it multiple times since then, last time being 10 weeks ago. MRI this week, torn labrum where a bunch of ligaments are connected.

Too busy to have surgery right now but I probably won't ride any more, and will have the surgery mid October.

Any advice, horror stories, etc? I'm bummed.

Had ACL, Meniscus reconstruction in 06'. It sucked. This seems like it will suck almost as bad. Only good thing is I'm right handed.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/5/2014 1:00pm
I had surgery on a torn right labrum...probably the most painful thing I've injured.

It was the same side I'd broken my collarbone on (seven times), and the doc said it was sort of like four surgeries in one by the time he got in there. For example, there were a bunch of spiny growths on the end of the collarbone.

It was really tough getting the full range of motion back. The doc did it so tight, that I could only get my hand up to about shoulder height. PT afterwards was tough, but worth it.
DoctorJD
9/5/2014 1:07pm
I tore mine a couple of years ago (actually both of them) but it didn't require surgery. It was months before I regained the strength and range of motion back. As much as it sucks, you've got to give it time to heal. I took that time to get to know my bicycles better. I could ride my road bike, and if I was careful, my mountain bike with no issues. As of now, I feel pretty good, I can ride with no pain, in fact, the worst pain is when I'm pulling my jersey over my head.
9/5/2014 1:27pm
I had a SLAP (Superior Labrum Anterior and Posterior) tear combined with a torn rotator cuff. It was an "over use" injury that started bothering me in 2006. I had surgery back in April of this year for both tears. At this point I'm still doing physical therapy and taking it easy in the gym. I've resumed most of my regular activities (motocross, surfing, biking and even a little wakeboarding,) with a little caution. It's taken me a lot longer to recover than I thought, but on the flip side of that, I have friends who just had labrum tears fixed and they're 100% recovered at this point.
Brent
9/5/2014 3:29pm
I had a SLAP tear 4 years ago, all healed up but I still feel like it might pop out when I pull on the bars hard sometimes...

The Shop

Idaho747
9/5/2014 4:05pm
I had an interesting one just a few months ago. I went in to the orthopedic and he did all the resistance tests and all that and he said he was 90% sure it was a slap on the labrum. Well after the mri he was right. But that wasn't the only thing. Labrum, glenoid, and rotator cuff were all torn and had a slight case of bursitis. But I was amazingly lucky and nothing was torn all all the way through. He gave me the option of be stuck in a sling for a month and let it heal it self or get surgery and be in for 4 months.
Spagina767
9/5/2014 5:03pm
Wow you guys seem to have had it bad. My Ortho is a very highly rated sports surgeon in the area. He said it was evident that my shoulder had popped out multiple times due to a dent in my socket.

He didn't mention the option of just resting it, basically said I need surgery or I'll regret it in 10 years. He told me 4 weeks in a sling, 3 months for most of my mobility, and 4-6 months before riding Moto.
Idaho747
9/5/2014 6:10pm
Well my doc told me that eventually I will more than likely need the surgery just to clean things up at the very least. But the only reason I could get away with not going under the knife was because nothing was completely severed. I did get a couple of cortisone shots though which did help. And I did have to do a month of pt.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
9/5/2014 8:42pm
Did my right shoulder last year. (SLAP TEAR) I tore the Labrum and Bicep tendon off the bone (9 anchors to hold them in place), also had bersidous (sp?) and lots of arthritis/ bone spurs to be cleaned up. He cut the end of my collarbone off to help with the healing process (more blood flow to the area...) after 6 months and extensive rehab, I was feeling 90% better, but the PT was extremely painful !! DO ALL OF YOUR THERAPY !! It's been 8 months back on the bike and my right shoulder feels great. Unfortunately my left one is in the same predicament and I'm going to have it done next year. I can still ride without much issue, but it aches ALL THE TIME, especially at night.

I broke my back and pelvis in 1984, along with some internal injuries, I've had fusion on my neck, plates in my thumb/ leg, pins in my arm and I have to be honest.... NOTHING came close to the pain of my shoulder PT. It's beyond anything I've encountered and I'm not looking forward to having my left one done.

Do yourself a favor and try to ditch the pain pills ASAP. You'll need them for the 1st couple months, but don't let yourself get addicted to them. That's a whole nuther issue that you don't want to deal with, TRUST ME ON THIS..... Stay away from the Percocet, that shit is EVIL and screws with your head. Norco was good enough for me, the Percocet had me getting all depressed, NO FUN !!!! Good luck.
bgpn35
9/6/2014 3:21am
I tore my labrum and rotator in 2011 after a crash over the bars. I kept on riding that day after that because it didn't really hurt all that bad, I knew something was wrong because when I was in the air my right arm would want to pull the bars closer to me. I waited a year and a half to get surgery and it hasn't been close to the same as it was! The reason mine didn't hurt as bad was because after the surgery the doc said it looked like a old injury, older than a 1 1/2 injury! Talked to the doc about it and told him i pitched in college till 2003 and he said it looked like my crashed tore it the rest of the way! My advice would be get the surgery ASAP because the longer you wait the weaker and harder it will be to get back to 100%!
Thelen20
9/6/2014 3:48am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2014 3:53am
Been there, don't worry op, there is tons of things they can do to fix you up!!!

I got my labrum tightened up twice but was able to overcome the repairs both times Sad

Went in last year to see if there was anything more they could do. Normal life was no issue but riding and playing basketball had proven that it was going to come back out, it was just a matter of when. Doc said i had 25% bone loss of the glenoid and that i was a canidate for an "open laterjet reconstruction". I am 11 months out of surgery now and feeling great! The clicking and crunching is gone and so is the "loose" sensation.

https://youtu.be/wb_F4M8xUf0
http://youtu.be/wb_F4M8xUf0

I say this just to assure you that they can get you fixed up!!!

Always keep that shoulder strong, too much "weekend warrior" is how i feel i ended up back under the knife the 3rd time.
Crush
9/6/2014 3:50am
7 collarbone breaks GuyB!?!? Bloody hell mate!
Vet57
9/6/2014 4:22am
Count me in the club (in others too)! Done correctly/combined with PT it will be better than before you injured it.
Team Ideal
9/6/2014 6:10am Edited Date/Time 9/6/2014 6:17am
Spagina767 wrote:
Wow you guys seem to have had it bad. My Ortho is a very highly rated sports surgeon in the area. He said it was evident...
Wow you guys seem to have had it bad. My Ortho is a very highly rated sports surgeon in the area. He said it was evident that my shoulder had popped out multiple times due to a dent in my socket.

He didn't mention the option of just resting it, basically said I need surgery or I'll regret it in 10 years. He told me 4 weeks in a sling, 3 months for most of my mobility, and 4-6 months before riding Moto.
exact same for my son. had his repaired early Oct last year was back on bike in mid Feb. his can still slip out, from the dent, if he does something wrong. diving in pool, laying on back and resting arm completely above head, stuff where his arm is relaxed and hits just that right spot. luckily for him its when his arm is above his head so it doesn't affect riding. we bought a rowing machine and PT doc gave him specific exercise to strengthen all the muscles around shoulder. the labrum surgery and PT was a breeze for him, he was way ready to ride by the time doc let him.

there is a surgery to fix the dent, I'm thinking doc said it was a 8 to 10 month recovery time for that and if he was ok with how things are now it could wait. so going to wait and do it once he quits riding

after re-reading your post I may have been confused, my son had a torn labrum letting his pop out, it was anchored back together and that part was a breeze for him. his will still come slightly out from a dent in the ball of the bone. I say slightly because every time it has happen he has been able to get it back in himself, with the torn labrum when it would pop out it would require a trip to the er to get back in.
Indy mxer
9/6/2014 6:40am
bgpn35 wrote:
I tore my labrum and rotator in 2011 after a crash over the bars. I kept on riding that day after that because it didn't really...
I tore my labrum and rotator in 2011 after a crash over the bars. I kept on riding that day after that because it didn't really hurt all that bad, I knew something was wrong because when I was in the air my right arm would want to pull the bars closer to me. I waited a year and a half to get surgery and it hasn't been close to the same as it was! The reason mine didn't hurt as bad was because after the surgery the doc said it looked like a old injury, older than a 1 1/2 injury! Talked to the doc about it and told him i pitched in college till 2003 and he said it looked like my crashed tore it the rest of the way! My advice would be get the surgery ASAP because the longer you wait the weaker and harder it will be to get back to 100%!
A couple years ago I was 55 and had the same crash. Tore my rotator cuff and labrum. Waited as long as I could but finally had surgery. Ortho Doc told me if I waited much longer the tear would get farther apart and harder to fix. Surgery was out patient, in and out. That was the easy part.
The recovery and pt were a bitch.
Shoulder hurt like hell for the first week or two. And I had to sleep in my recliner because it hurt too much to lay down. I stayed off the strong pain pills so that made it a little worse. But I had a friend get hooked on them after a moto injury and I heard enough horror stories about them I decided to try and go with out them.
Like some on here have said, If you do choose to use them get off of them asap.

The Ortho Doc also told me it's all in the physical therapy. The more pain you can take the harder they can push it. I admit, some days the Physical therapist (a hot blond btw) brought tears to my eyes working on my range of motion. Plus I did ALL the exercises they gave me for home.

1 day shy of 3 months I was released and I was back in the gym and started lifting again. Although I didn't push it. Now I have all my range of motion back and the shoulder feels great.

Again, do the pt!
Good luck
Spagina767
9/6/2014 6:54am
Thanks for the advice guys.

When I had my knee surgery, I was 17... And stupid. I did not take my PT nearly as serious as I should have, and I dealt with the repercussions of that for years. It took 5 years for my quad/ hamstring to be as strong/ big as my good leg. My calf muscle is still smaller on my left, than on my right.

That being said, I learned my lesson. I will be very (not overly) aggressive with my rehab.

I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week right now, so I'll have no problem making sure I keep it strong post surgery.

And about the pills... Yeah, I've seen great people fall victim to pain medication. Many people. It's something I'll take serious... And honestly, my wife will keep my ass in line for sure when it comes to that lol.
MDMCG
9/6/2014 7:02am
Been there and done that. Wasn't as bad as people are making it seem. Get a brachial plexus block prior to the procedure and you'll be set. Pain free for the first 24 hours or so.

Take the rehab seriously. It'll take 4-6 months to get back to full use.
Motodave15
9/6/2014 7:18am
I just healed up from a partial labrum tear, humerus fracture and bruised bone. (Hockey)

Anyway, it sucks I'm hoping I don't need surgery in the future. as I get some pretty bad pain from time to time now.. laying down can be a bitch
bgpn35
9/6/2014 7:37am
bgpn35 wrote:
I tore my labrum and rotator in 2011 after a crash over the bars. I kept on riding that day after that because it didn't really...
Indy mxer wrote:
A couple years ago I was 55 and had the same crash. Tore my rotator cuff and labrum. Waited as long as I could but finally...
A couple years ago I was 55 and had the same crash. Tore my rotator cuff and labrum. Waited as long as I could but finally had surgery. Ortho Doc told me if I waited much longer the tear would get farther apart and harder to fix. Surgery was out patient, in and out. That was the easy part.
The recovery and pt were a bitch.
Shoulder hurt like hell for the first week or two. And I had to sleep in my recliner because it hurt too much to lay down. I stayed off the strong pain pills so that made it a little worse. But I had a friend get hooked on them after a moto injury and I heard enough horror stories about them I decided to try and go with out them.
Like some on here have said, If you do choose to use them get off of them asap.

The Ortho Doc also told me it's all in the physical therapy. The more pain you can take the harder they can push it. I admit, some days the Physical therapist (a hot blond btw) brought tears to my eyes working on my range of motion. Plus I did ALL the exercises they gave me for home.

1 day shy of 3 months I was released and I was back in the gym and started lifting again. Although I didn't push it. Now I have all my range of motion back and the shoulder feels great.

Again, do the pt!
Good luck
I stayed on the pain meds for three months during the pt, after that I was done with them! The first couple weeks where pretty rough but not to bad. The thing that hurt me the most was probably 3 weeks after surgery I woke up in a panic. I got out of my sling somehow and punched the air!!! Now that was terrible! Lol

Post a reply to: Torn Labrum, left shoulder

The Latest