Tony Caroli

MXR
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 5:33pm
I hope he races at least one year here in the 450 MX Nationals . How cool would that be ?
|
EvanR127
12/24/2011 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2011 2:27pm
when he doesn't win a GP championship then maybe...

I don't blame him, why ruin something thats going great. He lives there and is making millions per year.
Barrett57
12/24/2011 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2011 2:28pm
Nice bloke, super fast and has an awesome style.

If he does race the nationals, I hope he does them while he's still in his prime.
Hando
12/24/2011 2:32pm
Barrett57 wrote:

If he does race the nationals, I hope he does them while he's still in his prime.
x2

he is everts protege in a sense but he should come here for one season as the best race here.
12/24/2011 2:49pm
Would be very cool if he did,but i doubt it ever happens, i think all we could hope for is him showing for a national or two,,

Ps its spelled Cairoli

The Shop

Hanaa80
12/24/2011 3:00pm
Barrett57 wrote:

Hando wrote:
x2

he is everts protege in a sense but he should come here for one season as the best race here.
I wonder how much cash Youthstream keeps throwing towards him to keep him from going to USA.
12/24/2011 3:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2011 3:20pm
Barrett57 wrote:

Hando wrote:
x2

if the best race in the US then how do you explain desalles 2nd place finish at unadilla in 2010? (on a track he'd never ridden, and a borrowed bike)

i'd say mx2 has a deeper field in the US, but in mx1 there is much more strength in depth in mx1 in the gp's.

cairoli would be a contender outdoors, but with little supercross experience he's probably too old to race in the US full time (as supercross is the main earner over there) - he can probably make a better living staying in mx1

I would love to see him do a few nationals, but unless teams start offering outdoor only contracts for big money then theres no way he's gona go to the states! KTM will be paying him plenty to race in gp's
Hando
12/24/2011 3:44pm
Barrett57 wrote:

Hando wrote:
x2

if the best race in the US then how do you explain desalles 2nd place finish at unadilla in 2010? (on a track he'd never ridden...
if the best race in the US then how do you explain desalles 2nd place finish at unadilla in 2010? (on a track he'd never ridden, and a borrowed bike)

i'd say mx2 has a deeper field in the US, but in mx1 there is much more strength in depth in mx1 in the gp's.

cairoli would be a contender outdoors, but with little supercross experience he's probably too old to race in the US full time (as supercross is the main earner over there) - he can probably make a better living staying in mx1

I would love to see him do a few nationals, but unless teams start offering outdoor only contracts for big money then theres no way he's gona go to the states! KTM will be paying him plenty to race in gp's
Here we go.

Look, in MotoGP and Formula 1, Europeans are on another level in regards to any racing really..that requires left and right turning.

The best come here to race, all the euro's and other foreigners go to Europe as a stepping stone to come here.

If I was a young boy living in Austrailia or South Africa who was fanatical about moto like I was growing up here in the USA, being a pro in the USA would be my ultimate goal/dream.

If I was a young boy growing up in the USA with a rich family that supported my shift kart racing habit..my goal would be to move to Europe and race F1.

The US has the best MX racers, hands down. Our tracks are rougher and the competition IS deeper, regardless if you think the mx2 class is deeper in Europe.

Oh..and to answer your question about Desalles...Unadilla is basically a GP track Smile
12/24/2011 4:03pm
Hando wrote:
x2

if the best race in the US then how do you explain desalles 2nd place finish at unadilla in 2010? (on a track he'd never ridden...

Hando wrote:
Here we go. Look, in MotoGP and Formula 1, Europeans are on another level in regards to any racing really..that requires left and right turning. The...
Here we go.

Look, in MotoGP and Formula 1, Europeans are on another level in regards to any racing really..that requires left and right turning.

The best come here to race, all the euro's and other foreigners go to Europe as a stepping stone to come here.

If I was a young boy living in Austrailia or South Africa who was fanatical about moto like I was growing up here in the USA, being a pro in the USA would be my ultimate goal/dream.

If I was a young boy growing up in the USA with a rich family that supported my shift kart racing habit..my goal would be to move to Europe and race F1.

The US has the best MX racers, hands down. Our tracks are rougher and the competition IS deeper, regardless if you think the mx2 class is deeper in Europe.

Oh..and to answer your question about Desalles...Unadilla is basically a GP track Smile
Both series have their fair share of rough tracks, with the GP's especially having a greater range of different terrains overall.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
12/24/2011 4:24pm
Hando wrote:
x2

Hando wrote:
Here we go. Look, in MotoGP and Formula 1, Europeans are on another level in regards to any racing really..that requires left and right turning. The...
Here we go.

I think you will find that Unadilla is more GP then an actual GP track these days.

https://youtu.be/BVJ_v2mWmSo

https://youtu.be/cKZ6wCoErkQ

https://youtu.be/JWwge_xd2Kg

https://youtu.be/_eS34zru3cA
burnside
12/24/2011 4:27pm
With KTM's Stateside push . . I wonder if KTM Austria would at some stage push for TC to do a season stateside. Would be awesome to see him ride the Nats and what more does he have to prove in the GPs? Hope he doesn't do an Everts!
12/24/2011 8:20pm
Tony Cairoli and Valentino Rossi riding moto together a couple weeks ago. How cool would that be to be a fly on the wall for that?

Ever heard of Tony Cairoli or Valentino Rossi?

You know of Tony if you follow Motocross. Tony Cairoli (nicknamed TC 222) is a five time World Motocross Champion, who twice won in the MX 2 class, and the last three years in a row in the MX 1 class (the past two years on the KTM 350).

And if you follow motorcycling, you know Valentino Rossi. Also known by the nicknames: Rossifumi, Valentinik, and of course 'The Doctor', is a MotoGP multi-time World Champion, riding for Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, and Ducati.

Check out the photos by Stefano Taglioni (and special thanks to Jill for sending them over!)

Here is a little story behind the photos:

December 2, 2011

Tony Cairoli - TC222
Today I went to Valentino's ranch to ride motocross together. After a lunch with pasta carbonara (not the best pasta to eat before to go riding) we all went to a nice valley close to the village. In this amazing valley was the ranch, with a short track, long track and an MX track and lots of different brands of bikes!

We all rode together at the MX track and after that I did my first ever laps on a short track. Nice, but I prefer an MX track! : )

After we tried some different jumps at the mx track and I tried to explain to those MotoGP riders how to scrub a
jump!! That was funny!!! After that we had a big BBQ before I hit the road home.

We had a lot of fun, very relaxing! No press, no work, just fun, and talking about our difference in sport etc. It was a fun day!!!

Valentino Rossi (@ValeYellow46) and Tony Cairoli (@AntonioCairoli) on Twitter:

@ValeYellow46: Guys today Tony Cairoli taught me how to ride a motocross bike! It was an honor he came to my ranch! It was a real pleasure to see him riding, his elegance and such an easy personality! I tried to make a photo of him, but he was jumping too high! So my #FF Goes to @AntonioCairoli - a fantastic person and great champion!

@AntonioCairoli's reponse: I can only say it was worth coming over to your ranch, number 1 pilot in the world and also a great person!!

http://www.supercross.com/features/toni-cairoli-teaches-valentino-rossi…
12/24/2011 8:34pm
so desalle comes over here and does well, and that means the US sucks, the entire mx2 class is deeper than our lites class

got to love the logic. its The World vs. the USA and no one will be happy until this country falls into the ocean and sinks with every American on it.

I really wish we would just pull out of the MXoN all together. call it the MXofEverybodyElse.
Trent179
12/24/2011 8:59pm
If you look at MXONs previous results USA indisputably stands out superior. How could you argue with that...
TDeath21
12/24/2011 9:00pm
He would be the best of the rest here in the states. A top 5 guy for sure. If I were him, I would do what Everts did and leave it all to bench racing instead of coming over to the US and losing championships. It would be a good storyline if he were to race in the states though, even for just a couple races.
12/24/2011 10:18pm
TDeath21 wrote:
He would be the best of the rest here in the states. A top 5 guy for sure. If I were him, I would do what...
He would be the best of the rest here in the states. A top 5 guy for sure. If I were him, I would do what Everts did and leave it all to bench racing instead of coming over to the US and losing championships. It would be a good storyline if he were to race in the states though, even for just a couple races.
Good post,he's said he'd like to do a national more than once,this year looks like his toughest year on paper,the 450 class has maybe 5 guys that are potential title winners,as for the AMA,I can't see anyone but RV being champ,and yes Desalle and co would all be in that chasing pack.AC and Herlings in at Southwick would be awesome
sharkey
12/24/2011 10:22pm
Barrett57 wrote:

Hando wrote:
x2

that track has gp written all over if. im not surprised at all
12/24/2011 10:23pm
Trent179 wrote:
If you look at MXONs previous results USA indisputably stands out superior. How could you argue with that...
Apparently pretty easily on this forum. The anti-American sentiment is otherworldly here.
mxgeoff
12/25/2011 12:04am
so desalle comes over here and does well, and that means the US sucks, the entire mx2 class is deeper than our lites class got to...
so desalle comes over here and does well, and that means the US sucks, the entire mx2 class is deeper than our lites class

got to love the logic. its The World vs. the USA and no one will be happy until this country falls into the ocean and sinks with every American on it.

I really wish we would just pull out of the MXoN all together. call it the MXofEverybodyElse.
You wish Team USA would pull out of the MXdN.........you must be a big fan of the sport to want that.....
mxgeoff
12/25/2011 12:12am
MXR wrote:
I hope he races at least one year here in the 450 MX Nationals . How cool would that be ?
I can only see that happening if KTM have a Desalle, Frossard, or Bboryshev as a backup rider to win the aWorld title while he is gone.

And to be honest just like Everts, Smets, Geboers, Jobe, Thorpe and all the best Mx1 riders in the GP's it won't happen. The very best from GP usually stay GP. America gets some pretty cool talent from Europe, but not often a top MX1 rider.

Man the last 250cc/450cc/MX1rider to go was Townley in 2005 and before that Tortelli in 1998. Just doesn't happen that much. We know what happened to those two......talent wasted on injuries an pretty much wasted careers. Can't see an older rider from Europe doing that for a while and having any success.
kongols
12/25/2011 12:13am
so desalle comes over here and does well, and that means the US sucks, the entire mx2 class is deeper than our lites class got to...

Hi Carlosmacho ! Merry Christmas.
12/25/2011 1:28am

reading obviously isnt your strong point- i didnt say 'the US sucks' just that the statement 'the best in the world race in the US' wasnt true! By that logic what desalle has done (twice) would be impossible- you would have to be an idiot to deny that the likes of dungey, RV, reed, canard etc are SOME of the best riders in the world, but you would also have to be an idiot to deny that there are very talented riders in the gp's too- the likes of cairoli, desalle, frossard, bobby, pourcel etc would be at the front in either series.

I also said i thought the mx2 (or 'lites') class was deeper in the states- but in my opinion mx1 is the deeper class in gps compared to america (in mx1 there are 15 riders that can win a gp on any given sunday)
12/25/2011 1:31am Edited Date/Time 12/25/2011 1:38am
Hando wrote:
x2

Hando wrote:
Here we go.

tracks are rougher?!! You need to watch a gp from lommel or lierop- it doesnt get any rougher than that!!!

and desalle also got a podium in a race at washougal in 2009- whats the excuse for that?! (is that a gp track too?!) he was riding a bone stock 2nd hand crf 450 too (the ama stripped it down after the race to check)

so clement has done 4 moto's in the US, and had 2 2nds and a 3rd- if the US has the best racers hands down then why did he beat almost all of them in 3 moto's?!

de dyker also did a national on a bone stock yzf 450 a couple of years ago and went 5-6 (when basically on vacation) - how do you explain that one?!

you could put any of the top gp riders in the ama outdoor series and they would be up front- same vice versa. The point being that unless ktm can offer cairoli big money to race on an outdoor only contract, he aint gona go to the US!!

Same goes for alot of the other gp riders- you need to be racing supercross from a young age to be competetive indoors. Toni is definitely not a supercross rider !

I would love to see him do a full season of nationals (or even just a handful of selected events a year) - it would be good publicity for ktm for the 350 in the US.
12/25/2011 1:44am
MXR wrote:
mxgeoff wrote:
I can only see that happening if KTM have a Desalle, Frossard, or Bboryshev as a backup rider to win the aWorld title while he is...
I can only see that happening if KTM have a Desalle, Frossard, or Bboryshev as a backup rider to win the aWorld title while he is gone.

And to be honest just like Everts, Smets, Geboers, Jobe, Thorpe and all the best Mx1 riders in the GP's it won't happen. The very best from GP usually stay GP. America gets some pretty cool talent from Europe, but not often a top MX1 rider.

Man the last 250cc/450cc/MX1rider to go was Townley in 2005 and before that Tortelli in 1998. Just doesn't happen that much. We know what happened to those two......talent wasted on injuries an pretty much wasted careers. Can't see an older rider from Europe doing that for a while and having any success.
exactly! Its mainly the younger riders from mx2 that tend to go stateside (roczen etc) - the ones that are still young enough to (try to) learn supercross!

Lots of great riders that would have been front runners in either series (outdoor) have stayed in gps- why risk trying to adapt to supercross when they can earn a good living racing motocross?
mxgeoff
12/25/2011 2:15am Edited Date/Time 12/25/2011 2:55am

Hando wrote:
Here we go.

EZZA 95B wrote:
I think you will find that Unadilla is more GP then an actual GP track these days.

https://youtu.be/BVJ_v2mWmSo

https://youtu.be/cKZ6wCoErkQ

https://youtu.be/JWwge_xd2Kg

https://youtu.be/_eS34zru3cA
see below
mxgeoff
12/25/2011 2:48am
MXR wrote:
I think it was either Rattray or Searle said you need to give yourself a year to get used to the difference in circuits.Europe is often about throttle control and slower corners and in US it's wide open from the drop of the gate. The circuits are totally different and it's no wonder GP riders struggle when first arriving.

If you consider Townley, Rattray, Pourcel, all finished second in their respective series early in their US careers then it shows pretty much that the level is similar to Europe.

Even more so when you consider Townley just lost out to Villopoto, Pourcel to Dungey and Canard and Rattray to Canard and Wilson, shows that the level of riders in GP and AMA are nearly the same.

Add to that that Tortelli finished second to Carmichael (after getting used to the circuits in 1999 his first year in US), Langston (125cc and 250cc) and Albertyn (250cc) and Reed (250cc) all won MX titles, then the former GP guys have a pretty good record in USA.

Now if only a Desalle, Cairoli, Frossard or Bobryshev did a full season in the Motocross class, then we might get a better idea how it is between the big boys.

Watch Musquin and Roczen this year, it might just be a new era in the sport.
mxgeoff
12/25/2011 3:01am Edited Date/Time 12/25/2011 3:08am
steedmills wrote:
Couldn't agree more, two series with great circuits, great riders and both very different.

USA have some pretty good talents from the GPs in 2011 names like Roczen, Musquin, Rattray and Swanepoel. Those are four very good former MX2 GP riders.

What you will find is that because the FIM World Motocross Championship is run mainly in Europe and Europe has many countries, then you do get to see a lot of new faces turning up every year. Same in America, both series continues to produce really good young riders.

What is funny is we didn't really miss Rattray when he left because he was replaced by Musquin and we didn't miss Musquin because he was replaced by Roczen and we won't miss Roczen because Herlings versus Searle will be even more exciting than the 2011 MX2 title. That is what is great about sport. In fact keeping an eye on their results in USA is always fun.

We are just lucky to have Searle and Pourcel back and enjoyed seeing Townley back on the GP scene last year.

All in all I love both AMA and FIM.
pmcc
12/25/2011 3:30am
I think it would be cooler if Stewart did a year of GP's
Sherwood
12/25/2011 3:31am
It's a completely different culture here that the riders coming over would need to adapt to not just the tracks and that usually seems to take a season or two. If I where dominating in the GPs and older I wouldn't want to risk my stock dropping like we saw from a guy like Townley.

Post a reply to: Tony Caroli

The Latest