Tomac's cardio: As good as we thought ?

Bucky Wheat
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:44pm
He seemed to fall apart towards the end of both motos. I know it was hot and humid, but it seems like a guy with awesome cardio and fitness would welcome tough conditions and excel at them.
|
Chris_ONeal
6/5/2010 5:26pm
Race shape is a little different especially being at the front....He will only get stronger as the series goes on though.
WideOpen
6/5/2010 5:28pm
His cardio is fine. He is new at this shit. He came out of the box with guns blazing. Sometimes it works sometimes not so much. He is the real deal and the best 250f rider on his team right now..

sharkey
6/5/2010 5:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2010 5:35pm
heard that place takes its toll on riders more than any other track. pourcel and tyla should be happy they were given a gift today. i think tomac is gonna take it to these guys this year
BMSOB
6/5/2010 5:36pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:20pm
He seemed to fall apart towards the end of both motos. I know it was hot and humid, but it seems like a guy with awesome...
He seemed to fall apart towards the end of both motos. I know it was hot and humid, but it seems like a guy with awesome cardio and fitness would welcome tough conditions and excel at them.
HEAT INDEX WILL SKULL YOU EVERY TIME, as a young kid he will find out that you can't go balls out in heat and humidity...or die trying (no pun intended).

and don't shit yerself...nobody BUT NOBODY welcomes tough conditions when it comes to the heat index. they are full of shit if they say they do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index

badbobbym

The Shop

bd
6/5/2010 5:41pm
Fitness had nothing to do with Tomac's performance. He had heat exhaustion in the first moto. Maybe he wasnt hydrated? Or ate something he should not had. Maybe he had everything on par. Regardless, once the heat zaps you, your strength is all but gone. I am surprised he did so well in Moto 2.

Look up heat exhaustion

Bucky Wheat
6/5/2010 5:45pm
bd wrote:
Fitness had nothing to do with Tomac's performance. He had heat exhaustion in the first moto. Maybe he wasnt hydrated? Or ate something he should not...
Fitness had nothing to do with Tomac's performance. He had heat exhaustion in the first moto. Maybe he wasnt hydrated? Or ate something he should not had. Maybe he had everything on par. Regardless, once the heat zaps you, your strength is all but gone. I am surprised he did so well in Moto 2.

Look up heat exhaustion

I'm a construction worker in Az. I'm well aware of heat exhaustion Sick Need a pale face with stars around it.
mx-4-2
6/5/2010 6:11pm
One of his crew spoke for him during the interviews after the first moto and said that he had left it all on the track and was back getting hydrated.

I think he is going to be incredible but it's not surprising that he ran out of gas at the end of the second moto. I am just glad he did not get hurt. No goggles on any track and riding that spent is very risky.
Blake
6/5/2010 6:59pm
He seemed to fall apart towards the end of both motos. I know it was hot and humid, but it seems like a guy with awesome...
BMSOB wrote:
HEAT INDEX WILL SKULL YOU EVERY TIME, as a young kid he will find out that you can't go balls out in heat and humidity...or die...
HEAT INDEX WILL SKULL YOU EVERY TIME, as a young kid he will find out that you can't go balls out in heat and humidity...or die trying (no pun intended).

and don't shit yerself...nobody BUT NOBODY welcomes tough conditions when it comes to the heat index. they are full of shit if they say they do

badbobbym
Ponca City and Loretta Lynns doesnt have heat and humidity? Did they invent it yesterday?
goonRIDER898
6/5/2010 7:02pm
BMSOB wrote:
HEAT INDEX WILL SKULL YOU EVERY TIME, as a young kid he will find out that you can't go balls out in heat and humidity...or die...

badbobbym
Blake wrote:
Ponca City and Loretta Lynns doesnt have heat and humidity? Did they invent it yesterday?
those races are half as long
Wandell
6/5/2010 7:31pm
I agree. I think the heat and humidity got him (and several others). In those conditions it's not all about being in shape, you have to prepare for it by ensuring you are properly hydrated.
MXGooner
6/5/2010 7:36pm
BMSOB wrote:

badbobbym

So your saying Mike Alessi is full of shit??
Outsider
6/5/2010 7:46pm
BMSOB wrote:

badbobbym
MXGooner wrote:

So your saying Mike Alessi is full of shit??
Opps
6/5/2010 7:52pm
A lot of people do not know this, but Eli Tomac's dad is John Tomac, a top champion mountain bike racer in the 80s / 90s. John Tomac has spent years training his son to be the best.
Masonry
6/5/2010 8:06pm
sharkey wrote:
heard that place takes its toll on riders more than any other track. pourcel and tyla should be happy they were given a gift today. i...
heard that place takes its toll on riders more than any other track. pourcel and tyla should be happy they were given a gift today. i think tomac is gonna take it to these guys this year
I think Pourcel will be just fine.
6/5/2010 9:50pm
* wrote:
A lot of people do not know this, but Eli Tomac's dad is John Tomac, a top champion mountain bike racer in the 80s / 90s...
A lot of people do not know this, but Eli Tomac's dad is John Tomac, a top champion mountain bike racer in the 80s / 90s. John Tomac has spent years training his son to be the best.
Everyones know's all about this kid's head start on the factory life.

And he's a pro now and the story is getting old.

He's there now. Let's watch him race and developand see how he goes.
FTW 674
6/5/2010 9:51pm
BMSOB wrote:

badbobbym
Blake wrote:
5 laps and 20+2 DUMBASS.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4408th
6/5/2010 9:57pm
Blake wrote:
You, clearly, have never put in a season in the summer in central Texas. Especially in a largely shadeless cow pasture. There's just no comparison.
6/5/2010 9:59pm
I think the smoothest(energy saving) riders prevailed today. Dungey and Pourcel.....Pourcel is just plain JMB smooth and Dungey is smooth/Rickyinspired.
observer
6/5/2010 11:10pm
sharkey wrote:
heard that place takes its toll on riders more than any other track. pourcel and tyla should be happy they were given a gift today. i...
You ain't kiddin'....
Just like ole "Rio" back in the day. HOT and HUMID.
Same thing happened to Broc Glover when he came storming on the scene, back in the day when he was on that DG Hon CR125. He almost pulled an upset victory that day, but alas...the Houston humidity made him back it off and slow down.
Think Smitty won that day-(could be wrong on that)been a while :-)
bmxcurator
6/5/2010 11:14pm
A learning experience. I'm sure hydration is more on the front burner for a lot of guys now. Pound the fluids days leading up to a race.... Your cells will love you and treat you nice. Tomac will be just fine.
Mike D
6/6/2010 12:13am
Its a long season.

"ET .243"
"WILDCAT"
Blake
6/6/2010 7:58am
BMSOB wrote:

badbobbym
Blake wrote:
FTW 674 wrote:
5 laps and 20+2 DUMBASS.
He should be prepared. This is your job.
Guys twice his age work twice as hard in the sun for 8 hours a day, Every day.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/6/2010 9:32am
The heat can get anyone at anytime. Does not matter where you are from, how good of shape you are in, or how much you tried to hydrate. And, as said above, once it zaps you, you are pretty much done for the day. It takes time to overcome that once you have driven yourself that far into the hole.

It takes time to build up heat resistance. You can pound fluids all you want but unless you are used to going hard for 30+2 x 2 motos you will just piss it out instead of sweat it out.

Heat is no joke. My buddy got heat exhaustion in a moto one time and just rode straight into the woods when he was supposed to turn. He didn't know where he was. I've come off the track so exhausted before that someone had to put my bike on the stand and take my riding gear off for me.
500guy
6/6/2010 9:50am
FGR01 wrote:
The heat can get anyone at anytime. Does not matter where you are from, how good of shape you are in, or how much you tried...
The heat can get anyone at anytime. Does not matter where you are from, how good of shape you are in, or how much you tried to hydrate. And, as said above, once it zaps you, you are pretty much done for the day. It takes time to overcome that once you have driven yourself that far into the hole.

It takes time to build up heat resistance. You can pound fluids all you want but unless you are used to going hard for 30+2 x 2 motos you will just piss it out instead of sweat it out.

Heat is no joke. My buddy got heat exhaustion in a moto one time and just rode straight into the woods when he was supposed to turn. He didn't know where he was. I've come off the track so exhausted before that someone had to put my bike on the stand and take my riding gear off for me.
Exactly

training in the heat helps but sometimes it hurts too.

end of the story is right here, doesn't matter what you do or don't do, sometimes the heat will just get you.
6/6/2010 9:56am
i will tell you this as a fact, ask JMar or anyone else in okla that goes to texas to race....
you can NOT get used to the heat in texas, you can cope easier if you live there, but noone gets used to it.

You can ride in okla for weeks in 95 to 100 temps, goto texas, it will be 93... and the humibity will suck the life out of you!

4 years ago, I was going to make a run at LL's over 30B. Was riding 4 days a week, and we had an early summer blast hit us, im talking 97, 99, 101 in early june. Was riding every day for it. I goto Cycle Ranch for an open practice the day before the qualiffier, it was 91. I made it 3 laps and thought I was literally going to pass out. I went back to the truck, got under the ezup and had the wife pouring water on me. The humidity along with the heat ruins you when it decides, not when you decide.
6/6/2010 10:29am
* wrote:
A lot of people do not know this, but Eli Tomac's dad is John Tomac, a top champion mountain bike racer in the 80s / 90s...
I am pretty sure that almost everyone knows that...he is a world Champion. It's been made very clear for the last 10 years.
sxf138
6/6/2010 10:40am
Blake wrote:
FTW 674 wrote:
5 laps and 20+2 DUMBASS.
Blake wrote:
He should be prepared. This is your job.
Guys twice his age work twice as hard in the sun for 8 hours a day, Every day.
You should probably stop now Blake
JACK_Schit
6/6/2010 11:24am
May be doing 30 min Spinner bike moto's in the 110 deg sauna would help acclimate Eli?
gwilliams107
6/6/2010 11:33am
After the 1st moto podium interviews Ashley was really sick, right behind the podium she lost a buuuunch of fluid and didn't look good. What a tough competitor to come back in moto 2 and still give JP$ a run. I don't understand why people don't give the women the props they deserve, the crowd emptied at the end of 2nd 250 moto.
bullpen58
6/6/2010 11:36am
Anyone with any sense knows that kids his age have not matured physically. He will get stronger and stronger over the years (if he can stay relatively healthy). Look at the ages of the top cyclists. They're not 16 years old. Aren't they more like 26 or even 30? I just remember reading that somewhere and being surprised about that.

His Dad knows how to train and Eli's fitness is just fine.

Post a reply to: Tomac's cardio: As good as we thought ?

The Latest