Tomac nose wheelie...

Old Mate
4/23/2012 2:37pm
Dont take it to seriuosly Grieby,i was just giving Sipes a bit of a prop for his win.
Grieby54
4/23/2012 2:38pm
Old Mate wrote:
Dont take it to seriuosly Grieby,i was just giving Sipes a bit of a prop for his win.
I was rooting for Sipes the whole time, actually. Good to see a good guy get a win. I was actually impressed with how Matt was doing early in the day, too!
Brent
4/23/2012 3:27pm
That's an amazing photo, too bad it's blurry
BC261
4/23/2012 3:50pm
Old Mate wrote:
Maybe we need a look at Sipes going into that corner,didnt he smoke these two.
Grieby54 wrote:
Maybe you need to think about the fact that Eli had a bent shifter for most of the race and that's the reason he couldn't catch...
Maybe you need to think about the fact that Eli had a bent shifter for most of the race and that's the reason he couldn't catch up. Maybe you need to think about numbers 1 and 2 in the points series are doing the same thing as they're smoking everyone else on the track.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sipes injured? Hard to stay in the points dontcha think

The Shop

BobbyM
4/23/2012 3:55pm
you guys see this once a season and you think they meant to do this? lmao
Jakes Dad
4/23/2012 4:32pm
You train with Tichenor it's how you better be going into corners!
elsinore
4/23/2012 4:57pm
That was so fricking cool! I am happy for Sipes, but IMHO Eli without a bent shifter would have run him down.
Grieby54
4/23/2012 5:12pm
BC261 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Sipes injured? Hard to stay in the points dontcha think
Was Sipes injured last year when Eli finished better than him in the series?
4/23/2012 6:22pm
NoGo wrote:
[img]http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/b2225a9c8d5f11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg[/img]
Piece of cake...that shit is easy. Whistling
JB 19
4/23/2012 6:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2012 7:00pm
BobbyM wrote:
Its much easier when you MEAN to do it. Two pure racers doing some old school "Im not letting off til you let off. "
dak446
4/23/2012 7:00pm
lostboy819 wrote:
gee, thanks mr wizard you going to explain to us next how them motorsickles now have em 4 strokes instead of 2 ?
Har
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
4/23/2012 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2012 7:33pm
BC261 wrote:
Grieby54 wrote:
Was Sipes injured last year when Eli finished better than him in the series?
Would be hard to finish better when they were on two separate coasts...and when they did race each other, sipes won....
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
4/23/2012 8:42pm
NoGo wrote:
[img]http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/b2225a9c8d5f11e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg[/img]
Anyone else think this picture looks like they are doing choreographed stunts like the old BMX freestyle shows, or some form of motorized ballet? It's freaking beautiful though for sure! Hope someone got a high-res version of that somewhere.
Fat Fingers
4/23/2012 8:51pm
When I first saw this photo, I thought why does Tomac have a ridiculously long peak.
tbanks
4/23/2012 10:34pm
Sick capture....amazing
Robgvx
4/24/2012 3:08am
not be be all arrogant. however, the old style was to stay on the back of the bike under heavy braking until near the apex, braking...
not be be all arrogant. however, the old style was to stay on the back of the bike under heavy braking until near the apex, braking bumps or not, rather than sitting down everywhere with your leg stuck out.

You have to wonder if it would have been beneficial here. their ass-ends are up in the air because they're both weighting the front end. there's (apparently) too much traction available here to necessitate this.
Spot on. Weight back under braking for more rear wheel traction.

Some of the so-called riding instruction I read these days has me scratching my head.
Grieby54
4/24/2012 5:44am
Robgvx wrote:
Spot on. Weight back under braking for more rear wheel traction. Some of the so-called riding instruction I read these days has me scratching my head...
Spot on. Weight back under braking for more rear wheel traction.

Some of the so-called riding instruction I read these days has me scratching my head.
Right, because the majority of the braking is done with your back tire, right? Some of you so-called experts leave me scratching my head quite frequently.
Robgvx
4/24/2012 5:47am
Grieby54 wrote:
Right, because the majority of the braking is done with your back tire, right? Some of you so-called experts leave me scratching my head quite frequently.
How much braking is being done with a rear tyre that's off the ground?
IWreckALot
4/24/2012 5:57am
JB 19 wrote:
Its much easier when you MEAN to do it. Two pure racers doing some old school "Im not letting off til you let off. "
I think this sums it up better than anything on here yet. I don't think they went into the corner thinking how cool it would look to do a nose wheelie. Just two guys trying to figure out who has the bigger sac.

Anyone else see Tomac slamming into the berm going into the starting line straight? He was bouncing off that berm like flubber. . . Feet off the pegs most of the time.
Shawn142
4/24/2012 6:12am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2012 6:13am
Grieby54 wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Loading the rear obviously unloads the front, decreasing stopping power with the wheel that actually does most of it. It also causes you to brake slide into a turn which most riding coaches advise against these days. As cool as 2 wheel drifting into a turn looks it is not faster.

Obviously Tomac didn't do it on purpose, I think we're all aware of that. It's just aggression.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/24/2012 6:22am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2012 6:23am
Robgvx wrote:
Those are air brakes, and they'll be a hot new feature when they're introduced on the new 2013 models.

(I wanted my post to make as much sense as some of the riding advice you'll find in this thread.)
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
4/24/2012 6:34am
Grieby54 wrote:
Robgvx wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
Loading the rear obviously unloads the front, decreasing stopping power with the wheel that actually does most of it. It also causes you to brake slide...
Loading the rear obviously unloads the front, decreasing stopping power with the wheel that actually does most of it. It also causes you to brake slide into a turn which most riding coaches advise against these days. As cool as 2 wheel drifting into a turn looks it is not faster.

Obviously Tomac didn't do it on purpose, I think we're all aware of that. It's just aggression.
EEEEhhh, not entirely right. There is a balance.

If you are too far forward, you give the front more traction BUT without the weight on the rear it will pop up like in the picture and thus you can't use the full force of the front brake or it will pop you forward (ask Kevin Windham). If you are too far back, yes, you can take too much weight off of the front, but this is rarely the case because the harder you brake, the more weight will be transferred onto the front.

Let me put it this way: if you are sitting on the tank and braking just hard enough to get the rear 1 inch off the ground, you might be at about 70% of the power you could use if you standing over the mid-to-rear part of the seat (I don't mean hanging off the fender) and hard on the brakes. Try it yourself.

Another thing - their tires likely popped up because of the braking bumps going into that corner. Standing on the pegs and leaning back while going through braking bumps typically helps.

Of course, in that picture though, they are pretty much in the corner already and that's probably more why they are already sitting on the tank with their legs out.
Spartacus
4/24/2012 7:03am
Spartacus wrote:
tyler, nice to see someone actually thinking here rather than just following the lemmings. Those with a grasp of the English language will note tyler was...
tyler, nice to see someone actually thinking here rather than just following the lemmings.

Those with a grasp of the English language will note tyler was speculating in his second sentence not giving advice.
hvaughn wrote:
Maybe what this sport needs is less "speculation" and more appreciation for how awesome this sport is. Speculation is killing the fanbase of sx/mx
Are you speculating about that?
Old Mate
4/24/2012 7:09am
Robgvx wrote:
GuyB wrote:
Those are air brakes, and they'll be a hot new feature when they're introduced on the new 2013 models. (I wanted my post to make as...
Those are air brakes, and they'll be a hot new feature when they're introduced on the new 2013 models.

(I wanted my post to make as much sense as some of the riding advice you'll find in this thread.)
Sipes did pass and then pull away Guyb.
lumpy790
4/24/2012 8:39am
Looks like 2 teams are using illegal anti-lock brakes now? Falls under the traction control rule!
CamP
4/24/2012 9:13am
Robgvx wrote:
Shawn142 wrote:
Loading the rear obviously unloads the front, decreasing stopping power with the wheel that actually does most of it. It also causes you to brake slide...

TriRacer27 wrote:
EEEEhhh, not entirely right. There is a balance. If you are too far forward, you give the front more traction BUT without the weight on the...
EEEEhhh, not entirely right. There is a balance.

If you are too far forward, you give the front more traction BUT without the weight on the rear it will pop up like in the picture and thus you can't use the full force of the front brake or it will pop you forward (ask Kevin Windham). If you are too far back, yes, you can take too much weight off of the front, but this is rarely the case because the harder you brake, the more weight will be transferred onto the front.

Let me put it this way: if you are sitting on the tank and braking just hard enough to get the rear 1 inch off the ground, you might be at about 70% of the power you could use if you standing over the mid-to-rear part of the seat (I don't mean hanging off the fender) and hard on the brakes. Try it yourself.

Another thing - their tires likely popped up because of the braking bumps going into that corner. Standing on the pegs and leaning back while going through braking bumps typically helps.

Of course, in that picture though, they are pretty much in the corner already and that's probably more why they are already sitting on the tank with their legs out.
Shawn142 is an experienced A rider that knows what he's talking about. Hitting the rear brakes would have caused them to brake slide into the corner, and that would not been the optimal way to approach that particular one.
Robgvx
4/24/2012 11:41am
BobbyM wrote:
I'm sure glad that I can come here for free lessons on how to ride a scooter, eh Bob?

Post a reply to: Tomac nose wheelie...

The Latest