Timed mains?

The Rock
12/9/2016 2:11pm
TXDirt wrote:
So when we are 8 minutes already in to a 14 minute main and no passing is going on, we will have to watch that for...
So when we are 8 minutes already in to a 14 minute main and no passing is going on, we will have to watch that for another 12 minutes? And this is better why?

Solution to better SX racing: Give out a few championship points in the qualifiers and then invert the start order for the main events. The lack of quality racing (passes) is the problem. Not the duration of the race.
And why is this better?

1) Fans at every round will see the same amount of racing. Tickets are too expensive for some fans to see 20 to 25 percent less racing than venues with close to one minute lap times.

2) Eliminates having to cut laps during a rainy event.

3) The decision shows FELD, AMA and FIM are not stuck in the past.

Regarding one or two mains that's a separate issue but based on my MEC exposure have become a proponent of two main events.

Regarding lappers being an issue we heard the same concerns when the field expanded to 22 riders but has not proven to be an issue. If it becomes an issue in the future I have faith "in the system" it will be addressed.

All in all this was the last piece of the puzzle I was waiting to come together. I'm looking forward to next season even more now.

kiwifan
12/9/2016 11:35pm
TXDirt wrote:
So when we are 8 minutes already in to a 14 minute main and no passing is going on, we will have to watch that for...
So when we are 8 minutes already in to a 14 minute main and no passing is going on, we will have to watch that for another 12 minutes? And this is better why?

Solution to better SX racing: Give out a few championship points in the qualifiers and then invert the start order for the main events. The lack of quality racing (passes) is the problem. Not the duration of the race.
The Rock wrote:
And why is this better? 1) Fans at every round will see the same amount of racing. Tickets are too expensive for some fans to see...
And why is this better?

1) Fans at every round will see the same amount of racing. Tickets are too expensive for some fans to see 20 to 25 percent less racing than venues with close to one minute lap times.

2) Eliminates having to cut laps during a rainy event.

3) The decision shows FELD, AMA and FIM are not stuck in the past.

Regarding one or two mains that's a separate issue but based on my MEC exposure have become a proponent of two main events.

Regarding lappers being an issue we heard the same concerns when the field expanded to 22 riders but has not proven to be an issue. If it becomes an issue in the future I have faith "in the system" it will be addressed.

All in all this was the last piece of the puzzle I was waiting to come together. I'm looking forward to next season even more now.

this.....much better solution then a Chase format
The Rock
12/10/2016 9:24am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 9:25am
Thanks. Personally I would have to first hear what the Chase format is before having an opinion.

I remember F1 back in the day allowed drivers to drop their two worst finishes. I would support this move as it is straight forward and would be fair for everyone.

For our sport I would add the stipulation that DNS mains aren't eligible to be dropped but only actual races you qualifed for and started the main would be eligible.
BobbyM
12/10/2016 11:03am
GuyB wrote:
I'm hearing they're a possibility for next season.

I'll give that a thumbs up.
They need 2 12 minute main events. Better racing all around and better chance at different winners.

The Shop

JB 19
12/10/2016 12:57pm
I'm nominate the Superheat. 3 laps, Fastest 5 lap times from the 2 heat races. Not finishes, but lap times. This means a guy who gets a poor start in the heat race and maybe doesn't even qualify from the heat can still blaze a fast lap and get into the Superheat and earn 3 points by winning it.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
12/10/2016 1:45pm
JB 19 wrote:
I'm nominate the Superheat. 3 laps, Fastest 5 lap times from the 2 heat races. Not finishes, but lap times. This means a guy who gets...
I'm nominate the Superheat. 3 laps, Fastest 5 lap times from the 2 heat races. Not finishes, but lap times. This means a guy who gets a poor start in the heat race and maybe doesn't even qualify from the heat can still blaze a fast lap and get into the Superheat and earn 3 points by winning it.
Interesting, on the right track for sure

Post a reply to: Timed mains?

The Latest