Time to take Supercross outside North America?

jamma10
4/26/2011 12:06pm
Soccer Stadiums = lap times over a minute
Trouble is few, if any have roofs. Throw in the good old European winter weather and you're looking at 3-4 minute lap times!
4/26/2011 12:09pm
pmcc wrote:
this thread was based around the thought of growing the sport! Motogp and F1 have grown there sport not by filling the field out with privateers...
this thread was based around the thought of growing the sport! Motogp and F1 have grown there sport not by filling the field out with privateers but building the professionalism which attracts sponsors and bring more money to more teams.

And lets give the current series abit of credit here... there is way more than 5 riders that have paid rides!
I really wish our SX and MX series had the funds to broadcast with their own equipment and sell the stream much like F1 and MXGP are doing. It allows them to disperse some of the TV revenue back in to the teams. In a way they help support the sport by showing up. F1 just excels at it much better than MXGP right now because they have 80 years of history to draw from for a fan base and there is not one single open wheel series that rivals it in the world speed for speed and advancement by advancement. Luongo is sure trying to copy Ecclestone's business model though.
KAWboy14
4/26/2011 12:11pm
send em to mexico, jaurez......ha

The Shop

4/26/2011 12:50pm
If they slipped the teams a bunch of cash I bet they'd go but don't just schedule a points race in France and tell them they HAVE to go. But you know all the fast guys come over here just beam a satellite feed across the Atlantic and have a couple commentators from each country do the the talking. Heck do that for the Nationals too.
4/26/2011 12:59pm
huck wrote:
What a great way to alienate even more privateers from the series....
pmcc wrote:
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for...
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for guys to try make a name for them selves, just the same as every other form of motorsport
huck wrote:
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders? Seriously? And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1...
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders?
Seriously?

And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1?

But, alas....you're right. We should do away with the privateers and only have a 5 man race. That would be brilliant!!!!
Roczen
Pourcel (Seb)
Musquin
Townley
Iziord
Aranda
tons of other frenchies
Van Horebeek
Roelants
Cairoli
Frossard
Osborne

No, no one in Europe Whistling
MXMattii
4/26/2011 1:19pm
pmcc wrote:
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for...
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for guys to try make a name for them selves, just the same as every other form of motorsport
huck wrote:
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders? Seriously? And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1...
Seriously?

And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1?

But, alas....you're right. We should do away with the privateers and only have a 5 man race. That would be brilliant!!!!
brakkeman_ wrote:
Roczen
Pourcel (Seb)
Musquin
Townley
Iziord
Aranda
tons of other frenchies
Van Horebeek
Roelants
Cairoli
Frossard
Osborne

Indeed and that are only proven supercross Riders we have some very fast youngsters in our EKMX2 and EK125cc and guys like Desalle, Paulin, Jack Brunell, Martin Barr, Shaun Simpson (very good @SX O2 Arena London)

But like Brakkeman said no, no one in Europe...

Supercross in GB or the Netherlands would be so cool and if they organizes like the Indycar it can't be a problem.
Let the first 40 of each class transport there bikes, parts, ... free or very, very cheap with a big jumbo charter flight.
Highsider
4/26/2011 1:20pm
lucero10x wrote:
We are happy with our SX series, thank you very much...get your own. Wink
X2
ando
4/26/2011 2:46pm
Soccer Stadiums = lap times over a minute
jamma10 wrote:
Trouble is few, if any have roofs. Throw in the good old European winter weather and you're looking at 3-4 minute lap times!
Yeah, cause it rains and snows non-stop across the whole of Europe from November to May.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/26/2011 2:51pm
pmcc wrote:
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the...
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the odd sx over to a couple of European Countries.

Having got excited at hearing rumours of DC and Loungo discussing possible joint ventures maybe this is something they could come together and do???

I really believe this would be the next step in making this sport bigger

Another thought i have had is what about combining the last 4 round of the GP's and Nationals together??? the top 20 in each championship line up to do battle for the own series and a mini cross continental series??...what do you guys think?
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would be the begining of the end of SX.
ando
4/26/2011 3:12pm
I think it's a great idea, but there are some things working against it happening in the foreseeable future:

1. MX/SX is not yet mainstream. With mainstream acceptance comes outside sponsorship and the possible dollars to make it happen.

2. The notion held by many that the "privateer" must still be a integral part of the premier series in the world. While it gives many a warm feeling that anyone with a few dollars to buy the right gear, and with enough basic talent to qualify, can rock up in their box van to an FIM world championship race, that's not the road to a true international series.

In reality the above points are related. When you have a "world" championship in which a good portion of the participants can't even afford to drive themselves across the border to the nearest neighbouring country, you don't really have a world championship.

And therein lies the rub - our sport is still too niche for this to happen (yet). In many ways it suffers from a combination of the disadvantages of other mainstream sports - like other motorsport disciplines it's expensive to compete and even more expensive if you want to win; yet it isn't available at a grass roots level in schools and local clubs like stick and ball sports.
huck
4/27/2011 6:39am
pmcc wrote:
huck wrote:
Seriously?

brakkeman_ wrote:
Roczen
Pourcel (Seb)
Musquin
Townley
Iziord
Aranda
tons of other frenchies
Van Horebeek
Roelants
Cairoli
Frossard
Osborne

I should have specified.. Does Europe have any Supercross riders that would finish on the same lap as our top 6 or 7 riders?
MXMattii
4/27/2011 8:27am
huck wrote:
Seriously?

brakkeman_ wrote:
Roczen
Pourcel (Seb)
Musquin
Townley
Iziord
Aranda
tons of other frenchies
Van Horebeek
Roelants
Cairoli
Frossard
Osborne

huck wrote:
I should have specified.. Does Europe have any Supercross riders that would finish on the same lap as our top 6 or 7 riders?
Huck didn't you read the name; Roczen?? didn't you read the name Paulin?? Didn't you read the name Musquin?? Didn't you read the name Herlings?? Those guys will kick your asses!!

Roczen 350cc Dayton he was one of the best 8 riders ... Don't know but ... EPICFAIL???
Not that long ago Christophe Pourcel owned the Americans two years in a row in Supercross...

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/27/2011 9:43am
pmcc wrote:
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the...
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the odd sx over to a couple of European Countries.

Having got excited at hearing rumours of DC and Loungo discussing possible joint ventures maybe this is something they could come together and do???

I really believe this would be the next step in making this sport bigger

Another thought i have had is what about combining the last 4 round of the GP's and Nationals together??? the top 20 in each championship line up to do battle for the own series and a mini cross continental series??...what do you guys think?
It did go to Europe when the FIM latched onto SX during the JAMSport fiasco, but it failed every year until they stopped. There probably is less money, a lot less, now to make it happen.

Your last idea is a good and practical a model, and one and has been floated by a lot of people over the ten years I've been on the boards as something that would get some of the best riders together without breaking either series. Who knows? And deal would have a lot of devils in the details and I think it would be pretty hard to make happen.

The "easiest" way would be for someone with really deep pockets to run something that offered start money and significant purses to attract the best riders and run a short series off that regardless of who sanctioned it or whether it was sanctioned at all (IMO sanctioning organizations like the old AMA or the FIM are anachronisms and unnecessary to a well run series)
huck
4/27/2011 9:48am
brakkeman_ wrote:
Roczen
Pourcel (Seb)
Musquin
Townley
Iziord
Aranda
tons of other frenchies
Van Horebeek
Roelants
Cairoli
Frossard
Osborne

huck wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
Huck didn't you read the name; Roczen?? didn't you read the name Paulin?? Didn't you read the name Musquin?? Didn't you read the name Herlings?? Those...
Huck didn't you read the name; Roczen?? didn't you read the name Paulin?? Didn't you read the name Musquin?? Didn't you read the name Herlings?? Those guys will kick your asses!!

Roczen 350cc Dayton he was one of the best 8 riders ... Don't know but ... EPICFAIL???
Not that long ago Christophe Pourcel owned the Americans two years in a row in Supercross...

Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years?
Roczen... how many races did he win in the US?
Paulin... never heard of him...

"those guys will kick your asses"... Thanks for the 'giggle'....
MXMattii
4/27/2011 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 2:30pm
huck wrote:
MXMattii wrote:
Huck didn't you read the name; Roczen?? didn't you read the name Paulin?? Didn't you read the name Musquin?? Didn't you read the name Herlings?? Those...

huck wrote:
Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years? Roczen... how many races did he win in the US...
Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years?

"Paulin... never heard of him... Thanks for the "giggle" to!

He rode also the first three SX's in 2010 he was in the same lap of your great riders and even in the top ten. Sorry guy you are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. Real MX/SX fan you ;-)

burnside
4/27/2011 2:37pm
lucero10x wrote:
We are happy with our SX series, thank you very much...get your own. Wink
Highsider wrote:
X2
How many SX races do you attend a year? What difference does it make to you if your sat on your sofa watching a race from Seattle or London?

If they pulled off a legit round in London, could only be good for the sport.
burnside
4/27/2011 2:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 2:41pm
huck wrote:
Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years? Roczen... how many races did he win in the US...

I love it when guys use this retort
"Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years?"

Oh yes he is ALL AMERICAN. Thats why everyone hates him for being French.

BONUS INFO: Pourcel one his first SX Lites title first try.
Adam43
4/27/2011 2:47pm
The World SX tour used to be a fairly big deal in the '90s. They would usually pay McGrath enormous start money, guaranteeing a crowd. Bercy and Geneva used to be a part of that tour, and they're still around.

It was a huge payday for most of the riders, so they made the effort. But today, everyone is paid much better. Right or wrong, big name riders seemingly won't cross the street to race for anything less than six figures.
huck
4/27/2011 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2011 2:48pm
burnside wrote:
I love it when guys use this retort [b]"Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years?" [/b] Oh...
I love it when guys use this retort
"Pourcel is an American rider... Hasn't he been riding over here for the last several years?"

Oh yes he is ALL AMERICAN. Thats why everyone hates him for being French.

BONUS INFO: Pourcel one his first SX Lites title first try.
He 'one' it? Wow... that's kool.

I typically don't like people from France, but I do like Pourcel, so to say "everyone hates him for being French" is a bold faced lie.

When I said, "what SX riders does Europe have"... I was meaning... that aren't already racing in the most premier series of the world... the one in the US.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
4/27/2011 2:58pm
I love Pourcel. Dude is funny!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/27/2011 3:16pm
burnside wrote:
How many SX races do you attend a year? What difference does it make to you if your sat on your sofa watching a race from...
How many SX races do you attend a year? What difference does it make to you if your sat on your sofa watching a race from Seattle or London?

If they pulled off a legit round in London, could only be good for the sport.
It's not going to happen. It's a US based series that got stuck with this FIM World nonsense because of politics when the kooks running AMA Pro Racing back then tried to disengage from Clear Channel, and the CC and the FIM went to bed together to put the AMA down. It was a cesspool of FIM vs. AMA and AMA Pro vs. Clear Channel and Jam Sports vs Clear Channel political hackery.

Basically the same personnel running the series now for Feld brought a couple races over to Europe when that went down to embellish the "world" title and it was a fiasco and a huge financial hole. The best riders weren't going and they were paying the way for journeymen American riders. It's not like they didn't try; they did and it didn't work, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another run at it.

I believe Dorna is still the primary rights holder from the FIM to run the World SX, contracted out to CC, Live Nation and now Feld as the rights have passed over time.

Post a reply to: Time to take Supercross outside North America?

The Latest