Time to take Supercross outside North America?

pmcc
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:49am
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the odd sx over to a couple of European Countries.

Having got excited at hearing rumours of DC and Loungo discussing possible joint ventures maybe this is something they could come together and do???

I really believe this would be the next step in making this sport bigger

Another thought i have had is what about combining the last 4 round of the GP's and Nationals together??? the top 20 in each championship line up to do battle for the own series and a mini cross continental series??...what do you guys think?
|
mxRob
4/26/2011 8:37am
only america play baseball so they have stadiums big enough Tongue
pmcc
4/26/2011 8:42am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2011 8:43am
mxRob wrote:
The millenium stadium in Wales is the second largest stadium in the world with a fully retractable roof.

I think it might do the job Tongue
jndmx
4/26/2011 8:46am
The teams are bummed about having to drive to Canada, I doubt flying overseas is going to go over well.

The Shop

lucero10x
4/26/2011 8:46am
We are happy with our SX series, thank you very much...get your own. Wink
huck
4/26/2011 8:47am
jndmx wrote:
The teams are bummed about having to drive to Canada, I doubt flying overseas is going to go over well.
Heck, the teams won't even drive to Glen Helen....
ATKpilot99
4/26/2011 8:49am
Makes sense since they call it "an FIM World Championship".
ATKpilot99
4/26/2011 8:50am
jndmx wrote:
huck wrote:
Laughing
Ride154
4/26/2011 8:51am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2011 8:51am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
They go to Canada... I guess that makes it International?
ATKpilot99
4/26/2011 8:56am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Ride154 wrote:
They go to Canada... I guess that makes it International?
Yeah but an overseas round still makes sense. I understand the costs of doing it are huge though.
Ride154
4/26/2011 8:58am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Yeah but an overseas round still makes sense. I understand the costs of doing it are huge though.
I was being sarcastic at their thought of calling it an "International" and "World" championship when all they do is buzz up over the border. International rounds would be sweet, but I have a feeling the soccer (football) stadiums overseas wouldn't want their fields destroyed. Would be cool to see, those stadiums are beautiful.
ATKpilot99
4/26/2011 9:05am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Ride154 wrote:
I was being sarcastic at their thought of calling it an "International" and "World" championship when all they do is buzz up over the border. International...
I was being sarcastic at their thought of calling it an "International" and "World" championship when all they do is buzz up over the border. International rounds would be sweet, but I have a feeling the soccer (football) stadiums overseas wouldn't want their fields destroyed. Would be cool to see, those stadiums are beautiful.
Ha sorry missed the sarcasm. I agree.
4/26/2011 9:10am
The only way you will see SX go overseas again is if the companies that distribute the brands in any specific region step up and pay the money to get their riders and equipment to the races.

I could see Monster stepping up in Europe to make it happen to fight Red Bull on it's own turf. But I doubt they would flip the bill for the top 15-20 guys to go from both classes plus mechanics etc...

The next logical step for the series to go is Mexico City, i think we could see that happen in the next few years.
jndmx
4/26/2011 9:11am
jndmx wrote:
huck wrote:
There's no race at Glen Helen.
Torco1
4/26/2011 9:12am
I think we need another Anaheim round.
jamma10
4/26/2011 9:13am
mxRob wrote:
pmcc wrote:
The millenium stadium in Wales is the second largest stadium in the world with a fully retractable roof. [img]http://www.winningrugby.com/images/millblu1.jpg[/img] I think it might do the job...
The millenium stadium in Wales is the second largest stadium in the world with a fully retractable roof.

I think it might do the job Tongue
What a terrible idea!

See a few posts down... Smile
stillwelding
4/26/2011 9:20am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2011 9:23am
pmcc wrote:
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the...
I reckon its about time SX started expanding its horizons and follow the NFL's lead (ie. bring a game over to wembley staduim) to bring the odd sx over to a couple of European Countries.

Having got excited at hearing rumours of DC and Loungo discussing possible joint ventures maybe this is something they could come together and do???

I really believe this would be the next step in making this sport bigger

Another thought i have had is what about combining the last 4 round of the GP's and Nationals together??? the top 20 in each championship line up to do battle for the own series and a mini cross continental series??...what do you guys think?
Supercross and Nationals are completely different promoters in the US. If DC and GL are working together, it's not on anything SX related. IMO. How old are you (respectfully)? I've been hearing this same question (or expecting SX to get bigger) for a loooooooooooooooong time. You'd have to get an all new set of riders. The present guys (GP riders excluded) are racing from Jan until Sept. already. Just ask one of the SX MX regulars what they think of your idea.
pmcc
4/26/2011 9:23am
jamma10 wrote:
What a terrible idea!

See a few posts down... Smile
haha sorry jamma hadn't seen that thread! wasn't stealing your idea... honest!!
SethGator
4/26/2011 9:27am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
you think they could find a way to send all of the teams and equipment over together on one cargo plane like the old Champ Car and current IndyCar series do when they race overseas. ie: Champ Car in Surfer's Paradise, and IndyCar in Motegi and Sao Paulo.
pmcc
4/26/2011 9:28am
Supercross and Nationals are completely different promoters in the US. If DC and GL are working together, it's not on anything SX related. IMO. How old...
Supercross and Nationals are completely different promoters in the US. If DC and GL are working together, it's not on anything SX related. IMO. How old are you (respectfully)? I've been hearing this same question (or expecting SX to get bigger) for a loooooooooooooooong time. You'd have to get an all new set of riders. The present guys (GP riders excluded) are racing from Jan until Sept. already. Just ask one of the SX MX regulars what they think of your idea.
I am 22.

This wouldn't be adding to the schedule, take a round where attendance isn't high in america and bring it to europe.

And I was suggesting that a combined team of DC and GL could maybe pry the SX series from feld
huck
4/26/2011 9:29am
What a great way to alienate even more privateers from the series....
SethGator
4/26/2011 9:31am
huck wrote:
ahh...this is where euro privateers come into play.
mxmedic
4/26/2011 9:34am
This happened when they began the "FIM world championship" thing, in the days of separate AMA SX champ and FIM world SX champ. The points for those races did not count toward the AMA title, so many of the top riders/teams did not compete. Travel and logistics (getting bikes, equipment there) were problems, so that's when they began to have the Canadian rounds (still "international", but closer).
pmcc
4/26/2011 9:35am
huck wrote:
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for guys to try make a name for them selves, just the same as every other form of motorsport
huck
4/26/2011 9:37am
huck wrote:
pmcc wrote:
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for...
are there privateers in F1 or motogp? why does the series have to have privateers... you can always have a few wildcard entries every round for guys to try make a name for them selves, just the same as every other form of motorsport
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders?
Seriously?

And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1?

But, alas....you're right. We should do away with the privateers and only have a 5 man race. That would be brilliant!!!!
Huckster
4/26/2011 9:43am
Does Feld entertainment control any stadiums outside of the US......? When you guys start living in reality and stop dreaming about what could be or longing for the "good ole days," you will realize that this is a business. Feld will go where they get their biggest ROI, plain and simple. They will put whatever entity that they own in that can get the biggest ROI. for example, locally they have replaced the AX series which drew lackluster attendence, with Disney Stars on Ice, Ringle bros circus and Monster Trucks. Another possible example is that there was hope of attracking a SX to Syracuse soon. Well I have it on good word that the Monster Truck show there was a flop and the parking situation is horrendous for a SX so that idea has been tabled......I hope it isnt true, but seeing how it works, I wouldn't doubt it.... It's a business plan and simple and SX series is just a cog in that wheel.....
pmcc
4/26/2011 9:44am
huck wrote:
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders? Seriously? And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1...
Seriously?

And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1?

But, alas....you're right. We should do away with the privateers and only have a 5 man race. That would be brilliant!!!!
this thread was based around the thought of growing the sport! Motogp and F1 have grown there sport not by filling the field out with privateers but building the professionalism which attracts sponsors and bring more money to more teams.

And lets give the current series abit of credit here... there is way more than 5 riders that have paid rides!
huck
4/26/2011 9:56am
huck wrote:
Does Europe even have any Supercross riders? Seriously? And are you really comparing mx to F1? Do you realize the kind of money that is F1...
Seriously?

pmcc wrote:
this thread was based around the thought of growing the sport! Motogp and F1 have grown there sport not by filling the field out with privateers...
this thread was based around the thought of growing the sport! Motogp and F1 have grown there sport not by filling the field out with privateers but building the professionalism which attracts sponsors and bring more money to more teams.

And lets give the current series abit of credit here... there is way more than 5 riders that have paid rides!
Paid rides and traveling around the world are two entirely different things!!!
pmcc
4/26/2011 10:39am
the real World Championship can do it! Tongue

Post a reply to: Time to take Supercross outside North America?

The Latest