Time for forced induction

Edited Date/Time 3/18/2015 5:36am
I think it's time to reconsider forced induction on bikes to help combat the sound issues surrounding modern 4 strokes. They should lower displacement and allow turbos to be used. To keep it fair they could set a ceiling on how much boost was allowed. Turbos already lower sound level considerably and combined with lower displacement it only makes sense one day to explore it.
|
Jim Lahey
2/22/2015 6:10pm
Yea, because turbos make such good low rpm power, great for supercross
Skippie
2/22/2015 6:12pm
With how small of a turbo it would be spooling up would be pretty much a non issue. Although a supercharger would be the more logical route. Kinda like Kawasaki's new road track bike.
Jim Lahey
2/22/2015 6:14pm
I really think theres easier ways to combat noise here, fellas
kiwifan
2/22/2015 6:14pm
Maybe everyone should have twin exhausts, they are quieter. I am actually serious, they are....but let the hate for twin pipes now flow....

The Shop

2/22/2015 6:16pm
Exactly what MX needs. Greater complexity, more parts to fail.

Have you seen what happens to a turbo when it ingests dirt?
gerg
2/22/2015 6:41pm
Arent woods bikes quiet enough as it is?

And why would you need for quieter engines for closed circuit comp bikes?
If you live near a sports stadium or race track you are going to h ear regular noise.
VET176
2/22/2015 7:31pm
Damn! this is not what I thought this topic was about. Sad

Oh well back to Redtube for some real forced induction. Woohoo
The Rock
2/22/2015 7:35pm
Woodracer wrote:
I think it's time to reconsider forced induction on bikes to help combat the sound issues surrounding modern 4 strokes. They should lower displacement and allow...
I think it's time to reconsider forced induction on bikes to help combat the sound issues surrounding modern 4 strokes. They should lower displacement and allow turbos to be used. To keep it fair they could set a ceiling on how much boost was allowed. Turbos already lower sound level considerably and combined with lower displacement it only makes sense one day to explore it.
Interesting post and good on ya for thinking outside the box. Right now however mechanical noise off motor is more of a sound testing hindrance than induction noise. The AMA actually experimented with a sound blanket in an effort to reduce mechanical noise at the MEC with GuyB getting a shot of it. So far the MEC is the only place blanket was utilized.

The Man wasn't pumped when I told him since the KTMs don't need any help to pass sound.
hillbilly
2/22/2015 7:36pm
I say make them 750s / 375s and put a real muffler on them,the larger displacement would offset power loss and it would sound like a Lincoln town car.

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/22/2015 7:46pm
-I don't think the power delivery of forced induction would be ideal for motocross, especially at the amateur level. Might as well go back to two-strokes.

-A naturally aspirated 450 already makes more power than most people can use even at the pro level.

-The cost of dirt bikes is already getting out of hand. A turbo will only increase costs and accelerate maintenance schedules.

If we need to conform to these idiots pushing "noise pollution" there are much better ways to do it.
jstein639
2/22/2015 7:55pm
731chopper wrote:
-I don't think the power delivery of forced induction would be ideal for motocross, especially at the amateur level. Might as well go back to two-strokes...
-I don't think the power delivery of forced induction would be ideal for motocross, especially at the amateur level. Might as well go back to two-strokes.

-A naturally aspirated 450 already makes more power than most people can use even at the pro level.

-The cost of dirt bikes is already getting out of hand. A turbo will only increase costs and accelerate maintenance schedules.

If we need to conform to these idiots pushing "noise pollution" there are much better ways to do it.
A supercharger would be a much better idea. With a 250 or 450 the lag on a turbo would be immense and would be very dangerous for timing a Supercross rhythm section. With a supercharger the induction would cause no lag and a decent power increase. The only problem is with the high compression Pistons the motor would run so hot it would probably be very unreliable.
brimx153
2/22/2015 7:56pm
Everyone always says that 450 are to fast , they can easily make them alot quiter . Yes it will rob power , but is nt that wat everyone gives out about all the time anyway . Ps .pro motocross bike s should be allowed be louder . But make all standard bikes 85 d
MX558
2/22/2015 7:59pm
Electric bikes , you could ride anywhere. Turbos are the dumbest things ever put on a race bike .
2/22/2015 8:02pm
1- If you run dirt through anything mechanical it is going to have issues. Turbo's have been used in off-road applications for years, just use a decent air filter.

2- As a previous poster mentioned, spooling up is a non- issue for smaller turbos. Especially if you were to go with a variable vane turbo which would also provide a very linear smooth power delivery.

3- Mechanical noise of the engine is not the biggest factor. Put your ear by my exhaust and I'll crack the throttle to help explain my point. The turbo would not be for dampening the intake pulse note, it would be used for dampening the exhaust pulse while also allowing a smaller displacement engine for the same output. Some engines get away with only using a turbo to lower exhaust sound level and don't even require a muffler.

4- Once again this is not for higher output as if the 450's don't have enough already. Cut the displacement down to say 150 or 200 and boost up to maintain same power output as current 450's.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/22/2015 8:04pm
jstein639 wrote:
A supercharger would be a much better idea. With a 250 or 450 the lag on a turbo would be immense and would be very dangerous...
A supercharger would be a much better idea. With a 250 or 450 the lag on a turbo would be immense and would be very dangerous for timing a Supercross rhythm section. With a supercharger the induction would cause no lag and a decent power increase. The only problem is with the high compression Pistons the motor would run so hot it would probably be very unreliable.
True, a supercharger would be much better than a turbo but the negatives still heavily outweigh even the potential positives.
2/22/2015 8:16pm
Also, where would this turbo be placed amongst the limited component space provided by a modern dirt bike chassis?

Its not as simple as slapping a turbo under the seat. It would also require induction piping, larger/longer exhaust system, an intercooler, and a type of over boost pressure release device. Weather it be mechanical or electronic.

A supercharger would be just as bad. Adding inches to the overall dimensions of the engine, no matter how you packaged it.
steve_97060
2/22/2015 8:20pm
why not just go ahead and add the flux capacitor and get it over with..
2/22/2015 8:23pm
Well if it's a variable vane it wouldn't require a waste gate, so that wouldn't be an issue. For placement, it would be smart to run the reversed engine with exhaust out the back and stick the turbo behind the engine so it feeds directly into it in my opinion. The cylinder would be much smaller so you would have more room. And the length of the exhaust would not need to be longer because the turbo kills most benefit of the tuned length of the exhaust.
scooter5002
2/22/2015 8:26pm
Yes, and the increase in costs associated with this idea would be retarded. Maybe you should just stick to racing in the woods.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
2/22/2015 8:27pm
How much would developing this cost? What would be the end cost be to the consumer in the initial purchase price? Would it affect the maintenance? How much would that cost? And the cost to replace the turbo?

Since a turbo isn't necessary for power on a modern day dirt bike, the sole reason for this would be to decrease the noise output? There are other ways to do that which are simpler and more cost effective, right?

I will admit that I don't know much about forced induction but I have driven forced induction cars and naturally aspirated cars both on the road and on the track. I greatly prefer the characteristics of a naturally aspirated motor. Again my knowledge isn't much on the matter but I believe the big push to forced induction in cars is for better fuel economy relative to power output which is an advantage in many forms of auto racing along with it being necessary to develop the technology for the consumer market to meet increasingly strict fuel economy requirements.

One of the great appeals of a motorcycle to the average Joe is how simple of a machine it is. I think that is something that should be kept in mind when going forward in development, especially in the realm of dirt bikes.
bvm111
2/22/2015 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 2/22/2015 8:30pm
isn't all this about trying to make a 4 joke like a 2 stroke.... seriously just go back to the way it was and problem solved!

these damn things have ruined motocross at the grass roots level already do to cost and you want to put forced induction on them... really????? WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
500guy
2/22/2015 8:29pm
A turbo isn't going to do anything but ad cost and complicate things.
Jim Lahey
2/22/2015 8:38pm
So you want to change how a dirtbike works, change the displacements of all the existing bikess, spend unknown amounts of r&d money fiding a way to make a turbocharged dirtbike engine reliable enoigh for the general consumer for the sole purpose of lowering sound output, something that can be done pretty easily with a larger muffler system?

Exactly how many pots did you smoke today?
2/22/2015 8:38pm
Well I agree, just go back to 2 strokes would be the simplest solution. The AMA in my opinion has done more to destroy the sport than the Sierra club could ever dream of ...but that's another topic.

731 I completely agree reducing sound levels isn't the real issue because there are ways to do it. The problem is doing it without sacrificing power, or making the average Joe think the bike is slower simply because it's not as noisy. How are you going to sell people on reduced performance for a quieter bike? No one would buy that.

Sound pollution is a big issue for lots of tracks, especially for private riding areas that don't have special zoning.
2/22/2015 8:41pm
Ever hear a factory backed Subaru rally car? You can hear them coming a mile away. Blow off valves are loud and that's mostly what you hear. Probably more annoying than what we are already dealing with as far as what non dirtbike people are concerned. Then there is the added weight of all the added shit you don't need to go fast on a dirt bike. 4strokes are heavy enough as it is. Imagine trying to package all that in the small confines of a Mx frame. Then trying to service any of it without removing most of it. The guys that rely on dealerships to service their bikes would really feel that pain.
2/22/2015 8:45pm
Ever hear a factory backed Subaru rally car? You can hear them coming a mile away. Blow off valves are loud and that's mostly what you...
Ever hear a factory backed Subaru rally car? You can hear them coming a mile away. Blow off valves are loud and that's mostly what you hear. Probably more annoying than what we are already dealing with as far as what non dirtbike people are concerned. Then there is the added weight of all the added shit you don't need to go fast on a dirt bike. 4strokes are heavy enough as it is. Imagine trying to package all that in the small confines of a Mx frame. Then trying to service any of it without removing most of it. The guys that rely on dealerships to service their bikes would really feel that pain.
I'm guessing you didn't read everything. Earlier I mentioned that variable vane turbos do not require a waste gate, so mute point.
BobPA
2/22/2015 8:53pm
jstein639 wrote:
A supercharger would be a much better idea. With a 250 or 450 the lag on a turbo would be immense and would be very dangerous...
No, forced induction engines run low compression.

Post a reply to: Time for forced induction

The Latest