Tie down help needed

DownSouth
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2014 4:41am
Who can explain to me how these particular ratchet tie down straps work?

They came in a box of junk a friend gave me but with no instructions. I found the manufacturers website but they do not have any posted instructions I can find. After 30 minutes of trying every thing I can think of I have not solved the mystery. Normal ratchet straps are simple but these are a different animal as far as I can tell.

They have a 16 foot strap with a hook on one end and a loop on the other. The ratchet buckle assembly is loose and so is the other hook.

|
Crush
6/30/2014 5:10pm
The loop end is for your bike. The other flat end you need to feed through the centre slot in the drum, the over lap it a little and wind it back a few clicks till it tightens on itself... After that you can start ratcheting.

The caveat being that if you overlap too early and need to ratchet a lot of the length of the strap, the roll might hit the handle and guide before you're at tension
tobz
6/30/2014 5:16pm
DownSouth wrote:
Who can explain to me how these particular ratchet tie down straps work? They came in a box of junk a friend gave me but with...
Who can explain to me how these particular ratchet tie down straps work?

They came in a box of junk a friend gave me but with no instructions. I found the manufacturers website but they do not have any posted instructions I can find. After 30 minutes of trying every thing I can think of I have not solved the mystery. Normal ratchet straps are simple but these are a different animal as far as I can tell.

They have a 16 foot strap with a hook on one end and a loop on the other. The ratchet buckle assembly is loose and so is the other hook.

Pretty normal ratchet die down from what I can see.

Your normal motorbike tiedown isn't a ratchet.

Have you tried Googling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bRc4vkiBM

Not really suitable for mx bikes, more for ratcheting down a load, tight.
mx836
6/30/2014 5:19pm
Those things are nothing but a hassle when it comes to an MX bike.
DownSouth
6/30/2014 5:28pm
tobz wrote:
Pretty normal ratchet die down from what I can see. Your normal motorbike tiedown isn't a ratchet. Have you tried Googling? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bRc4vkiBM Not really suitable for...
Pretty normal ratchet die down from what I can see.

Your normal motorbike tiedown isn't a ratchet.

Have you tried Googling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bRc4vkiBM

Not really suitable for mx bikes, more for ratcheting down a load, tight.
That video link shows a standard ratchet strap, not this type.

This ratchet assembly has no hook and strap attached to it like all the others I own. Some how the strap is supposed to feed into the ratchet and allow the ratchet to slide to any position on the nylon strap before you tighten it.

I have googled but keep finding nothing but normal ratchet straps. The companies website also has no useful information. I emailed their customer service address but am not holding my breath to get a reply.

The Shop

DownSouth
6/30/2014 5:32pm
Crush wrote:
The loop end is for your bike. The other flat end you need to feed through the centre slot in the drum, the over lap it...
The loop end is for your bike. The other flat end you need to feed through the centre slot in the drum, the over lap it a little and wind it back a few clicks till it tightens on itself... After that you can start ratcheting.

The caveat being that if you overlap too early and need to ratchet a lot of the length of the strap, the roll might hit the handle and guide before you're at tension
??? The nylon strap has a hook on one end and the loop on the other. There is no flat end to feed into the drum.
DownSouth
6/30/2014 5:39pm
They were in a box of junk for a reason.
That is what I am starting to think. They are brand new never used so I am trying to figure them out before I give up and toss them in the trash. The guy who bought them passed away so he is no help.
Spooner
6/30/2014 5:44pm
Cheap ratchet straps are the worst. Just buy some good quality Ancra cinch straps and be done with it. I hate seeing guys with nice bikes and $10 straps from walmart that are seconds from failing
Josh422
6/30/2014 5:46pm
Crush wrote:
The loop end is for your bike. The other flat end you need to feed through the centre slot in the drum, the over lap it...

DownSouth wrote:
??? The nylon strap has a hook on one end and the loop on the other. There is no flat end to feed into the drum.
You gotta fold it over about where you need the length and feed it through the slot in the drum. Couple cranks should get it to wind to where you can cinch down the load.
friday10
6/30/2014 5:47pm
Tie down your lumber with those, not your bike!
DownSouth
6/30/2014 5:48pm
Spooner wrote:
Cheap ratchet straps are the worst. Just buy some good quality Ancra cinch straps and be done with it. I hate seeing guys with nice bikes...
Cheap ratchet straps are the worst. Just buy some good quality Ancra cinch straps and be done with it. I hate seeing guys with nice bikes and $10 straps from walmart that are seconds from failing
I have good Ancra straps I use for my bikes. A 16 foot strap for a bike is overkill.

I am trying to use these to strap cargo down and hoped someone here would be able to explain how this type works.
hvaughn88
6/30/2014 6:04pm
I'll admit, ratchet straps have made me wanna kick a puppy on more than one occasion
Monte122
6/30/2014 6:44pm
What he said, have a couple beers, you will get it eventually or hang yourself with itLaughing
bama205
6/30/2014 6:59pm
Forget those. Unless you do minor tree work. Grab yourself some cam-buckles. Less you already have them.
rubarb
6/30/2014 7:15pm
Those tie downs are soo f'n ghetto.

Burn them.
hvaughn88
6/30/2014 7:17pm
I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere. Something along the lines of "how many moto guys does it take to use a ratchet strap"
Old-Man
6/30/2014 7:25pm
This...no reason to have directions on a tie-down... Give them to your neighbor in good faith to get browny points.
gett'em free at most Nationals at the Toyota truck tent and you get to drive a truck up the steep hills on top of it.

Looks like Japans way of making something so simple hard..

rubarb
6/30/2014 7:30pm
Unless your are are loadmaster, those tie downs are for barneys

Trauma
6/30/2014 7:46pm
Encountered these recently at work, after about 15 mins we just tied a knot. Bin em, get normal tie downs.
crusher773
7/1/2014 8:11am
Throw them in the trash those things are nothing but junk.
turbotime
7/1/2014 8:28am
I've got 2 sets of Pro Taper tie downs. Best tie down's made:

http://www.btosports.com/p/PROTAPERTIEDOWNS

Also picked up some tie down's similar to the OP posted. 4 Tie downs for $10. I didn't spend more than 5 minutes trying, but the only way I have found to get these to work for a bike would be to cut the length of the strap down to what is roughly needed to secure the bike. If the strap is left too long, the roll will bunch up and get to large. If anyone has another way or a video regarding installation, I would also appreciate the feedback. =-]
Cygnus
7/1/2014 8:31am
While I agree that ratchet straps have no reason to even be near a motorcycle, if you guys can't figure them out it's not the strap's fault. I have been using them as said above for wood and or construction stuff for 30 years. They work well for what they are designed for.
Sandberm
7/1/2014 8:32am
If I have to have a degree in Long Haul Trucking to use tiedowns for my YZ....I put them in a box and give them to a "Friend".Tongue
IceMan446
7/1/2014 8:36am
Problem solved. Best straps money can buy.

turbotime
7/1/2014 8:43am
IceMan446 wrote:
Problem solved. Best straps money can buy. [img]https://www.worksconnection.com/images/prod_gallery/26-400%20c.jpg[/img]
Problem solved. Best straps money can buy.

Meh. The pro tapers have swivel's that clamp on to the tie down base. Don't ever have to worry about having a twisted strap. I could see how the one's above would be annoying.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
7/1/2014 8:46am
Cygnus wrote:
While I agree that ratchet straps have no reason to even be near a motorcycle, if you guys can't figure them out it's not the strap's...
While I agree that ratchet straps have no reason to even be near a motorcycle, if you guys can't figure them out it's not the strap's fault. I have been using them as said above for wood and or construction stuff for 30 years. They work well for what they are designed for.
No doubt. It's not rocket science people.

I keep a ratchet and a regular strap in my truck at all times and have used the ratchet strap to hold a bike down. Works just fine.

Run the line through the barrel on the ratchet, then pull it snug. Ratchet the handle enough so there's a full turn on the strap. You're done. Yes, there will be lots of strap just hanging out.
motosmith
7/1/2014 9:06am
mx836 wrote:
Complete pain in the ass. I hate those things for any use.
DoctorJD
7/1/2014 9:08am
turbotime wrote:
I've got 2 sets of Pro Taper tie downs. Best tie down's made: [url=http://www.btosports.com/p/PROTAPERTIEDOWNS]http://www.btosports.com/p/PROTAPERTIEDOWNS[/url] Also picked up some tie down's similar to the OP posted. 4...
I've got 2 sets of Pro Taper tie downs. Best tie down's made:

http://www.btosports.com/p/PROTAPERTIEDOWNS

Also picked up some tie down's similar to the OP posted. 4 Tie downs for $10. I didn't spend more than 5 minutes trying, but the only way I have found to get these to work for a bike would be to cut the length of the strap down to what is roughly needed to secure the bike. If the strap is left too long, the roll will bunch up and get to large. If anyone has another way or a video regarding installation, I would also appreciate the feedback. =-]
Another satisfied Pro Taper user here.
Racer92
7/1/2014 9:17am
Cygnus wrote:
While I agree that ratchet straps have no reason to even be near a motorcycle, if you guys can't figure them out it's not the strap's...
Yep
Big Lenny
7/1/2014 9:55am
mx836 wrote:
Here's your answer right here...

Post a reply to: Tie down help needed

The Latest