Ti nitrate coating or DLC

Mort443
Where does everyone get theirs done? What are the costs vs each other.
|
ktmman
2/13/2017 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2017 10:28pm
DLC is usually more than ti nitrate, unless you get titanium nitride that is iridescent in color like pro circuit uses on their fork tubes and shock shaft. These colors are produced by introducing a gas into the reactive magnetron sputtering or cathodic arc plasma deposition process which is typically nitrogen, both of these processes mentioned are vapor deposition processes that form the titanium nitride onto the chrome substrate. The iridescent titanium nitride has a different stoichiometry and different physical properties than the regular gold titanium nitride which enhances its ability to provide less friction and better suspension action.

Mort443
2/13/2017 9:42pm
ktmman wrote:
DLC is usually more than ti nitrate, unless you get titanium nitride that is iridescent in color like pro circuit uses on their fork tubes and...
DLC is usually more than ti nitrate, unless you get titanium nitride that is iridescent in color like pro circuit uses on their fork tubes and shock shaft. These colors are produced by introducing a gas into the reactive magnetron sputtering or cathodic arc plasma deposition process which is typically nitrogen, both of these processes mentioned are vapor deposition processes that form the titanium nitride onto the chrome substrate. The iridescent titanium nitride has a different stoichiometry and different physical properties than the regular gold titanium nitride which enhances its ability to provide less friction and better suspension action.

Hmm from what I've seen so far dlc was remarkably cheaper. Who would you go through for tiN?

The Shop

ktmman
2/13/2017 10:41pm
Ion Bond can do regular gold titanium nitride for easily under 200 bucks for the shock shaft and a pair of fork tubes, just call decorative coating operations manager, Michael Helms at (949)-375-6822 if he doesn't answer just leave a voicemail and he will call you back later to arrange for your suspension to get coated!
Jerkolantern
2/13/2017 11:04pm
ktmman wrote:
DLC is usually more than ti nitrate, unless you get titanium nitride that is iridescent in color like pro circuit uses on their fork tubes and...

Oh, NOW I get it.....Whistling
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
2/14/2017 12:28am
Dlc is better, and in most cases cheaper than ti-ni.
Mort443 wrote:
Where do you go to? Prices?
Places like factory connection, MB1, Evo, total control suspension, I had a set done by a certain suspension company, but because I got hosed won't mention the name or price, it seems like average is $400-600 for dlc
Turbojez
2/14/2017 1:00am
DLC is better of the two coatings. It offers less stiction and is harder than TiN coating, but it's also way more expensive.
philG
2/14/2017 1:59am
What parts do you want doing .. motor stuff needs to be DLC.
c0ncEpT
2/14/2017 5:10am
I already posted this in another thread. Don't waste your time with DLC if the parts aren't brand new and freshly lapped/super finished. The surface finish needs to be flawless to get the result your looking for.

If DLC comes off the parts its so hard it will destroy basically anything it comes in contact with in.
dcg141
2/14/2017 5:44am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I already posted this in another thread. Don't waste your time with DLC if the parts aren't brand new and freshly lapped/super finished. The surface finish...
I already posted this in another thread. Don't waste your time with DLC if the parts aren't brand new and freshly lapped/super finished. The surface finish needs to be flawless to get the result your looking for.

If DLC comes off the parts its so hard it will destroy basically anything it comes in contact with in.
I saw an piece that Bones wrote in MXA about coatings. His contention was that the stripping process of the chrome from the stock tubes damages them and the new coating is not smooth. He said that they get a lot of recoated forks at PC with the complaint that they are are too stiff and it ends up being the coating.
berg450
2/14/2017 5:57am
I'm a offroad guy and kreft moto does my suspension, check out there microfinish process they do on fork tubes and shock shaft. Works really well for friction at a much lower cost then DLC or Kashima coating, there's also a video on youtube showing how it works/
Dtat720
2/14/2017 6:06am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I already posted this in another thread. Don't waste your time with DLC if the parts aren't brand new and freshly lapped/super finished. The surface finish...

dcg141 wrote:
I saw an piece that Bones wrote in MXA about coatings. His contention was that the stripping process of the chrome from the stock tubes damages...
I saw an piece that Bones wrote in MXA about coatings. His contention was that the stripping process of the chrome from the stock tubes damages them and the new coating is not smooth. He said that they get a lot of recoated forks at PC with the complaint that they are are too stiff and it ends up being the coating.
Yep. Only time you want dlc or kashima coating is on new parts that have not been treated or chromed already. Waste of money to do it to retail parts.
2/14/2017 6:43am
I've thought about this also. I'd have to have my uppers Kashima coated, the lowers & shock shaft done in the TiN. I think that blue/green color is amazing. But I'm just a weekend warrior so I think the cost is too much just for looks
ktmman
2/14/2017 11:46am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 11:50am
For cheapest and best DLC go to: http://www.industrialhardcarbon.com/

They use PACVD or Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition to perfect the coating of DLC onto the chrome substrate, but you have to use brand new tubes only as mentioned above by others! This process allows for no imperfections of the applied DLC and eliminates lattice spaces that would develop otherwise while coating the chrome.
ktmman
2/14/2017 11:46am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2017 11:47am
ktmman wrote:

Oh, NOW I get it.....Whistling
Obviously you don't get it LOLOL
c0ncEpT
2/14/2017 12:11pm
ktmman wrote:
For cheapest and best DLC go to: http://www.industrialhardcarbon.com/ They use PACVD or Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition to perfect the coating of DLC onto the chrome...
For cheapest and best DLC go to: http://www.industrialhardcarbon.com/

They use PACVD or Plasma Assisted Chemical Vapour Deposition to perfect the coating of DLC onto the chrome substrate, but you have to use brand new tubes only as mentioned above by others! This process allows for no imperfections of the applied DLC and eliminates lattice spaces that would develop otherwise while coating the chrome.
HIGHLY recommend them. We manufacture internal engine parts and have used pretty much everyone for DLC and IHC is the best.

Post a reply to: Ti nitrate coating or DLC

The Latest