Threat to end motorsport in the EU

Holigan
10/18/2017 12:50pm
I don't know if there is any truth to this, but it is interesting. Story can be found at PitPass.com

A ruling by the European Court could mean the end of all motorsport in Europe.

As alarmist and clickbaitable as that might sound, many within motorsport are seriously concerned that unless those in the industry act - and act soon - all motorsport within the EU could end.

"In 2014 the European Court ruled that any use of a vehicle required compulsory insurance cover," explains the Guild of Motoring Writers as it calls on members to spread the word, "so long as that use was consistent with the normal function of the vehicle.

"This would require all EU Member States to enact laws requiring compulsory and unlimited third-party liability insurance to cover personal injury between motorsport competitors and car-to-car damage during any competition, at any level, whether regulated by the FIA or FIM or not.

"Insurance of this kind is not currently available and looks unlikely to be available in future - which would mean motorsport would not be able to continue in the EU."

"In simple terms, the EC plans to issue a new Motor Insurance Directive, as a result of which all EU Member States must put into their National Law compulsory and unlimited third-party liability insurance to cover personal injury between motorsport competitors and car-to-car damage during any competition - from Formula One, Moto GP, World Rally to karting, historic and grass roots, whether regulated by the FIA or FIM or not," explains the Motorsport Industry Association (MIA).

"However such widespread unlimited new insurance is not currently, and, we understand, will not in the future be available," it adds, "so motorsport will be unable to continue anywhere in the EU."

"This threat is real, make no mistake," says Chris Aylett, chief executive officer of the MIA, it could close down all motorsport (in countries in the EU).

"If you want to protect your job in motorsport then make sure your employer responds before the deadline of October 20," he adds, referring to the EU consultation which closes on 20 October.

"The EU offers an option, known as Option 3, where their insurance requirement applies 'in traffic only'," he adds. "If we succeed in getting this option supported then motorsport will be safe."

And as Brexit negotiations drag on (and on), it would be foolish to believe Britain would become exempt once the process is completed (if it is completed).

"Brexit won't change things," said Aylett. "If businesses don't take positive action now then motorsport will cease and we'll all be out of a job or business. It's a stark choice and there's no time to waste."
|
rmoto003
10/18/2017 1:02pm
But they have plenty of $$ to import "refugees" lmao
kkawboy14
10/18/2017 1:07pm
If insurance is required someone will write it, even if it’s not available now.
10/18/2017 1:10pm
I guess they plan to enforce the laws in Europe as opposed to the way we do it here in the US.

We have a mandatory insurance requirement for driving cars on the street in Texas, yet 50% of the drivers in San Antonio are uninsured. And a good percentage of those don't have a driver's license either.

Yay "immigrants"!!
Motofinne
10/18/2017 1:22pm
You aren't able to keep your immigrant comments from a topic like this?

Sad.

The Shop

SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
10/18/2017 1:25pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If insurance is required someone will write it, even if it’s not available now.
That's not necessarily true at all.
agn5009
10/18/2017 1:26pm
I guess they plan to enforce the laws in Europe as opposed to the way we do it here in the US. We have a mandatory...
I guess they plan to enforce the laws in Europe as opposed to the way we do it here in the US.

We have a mandatory insurance requirement for driving cars on the street in Texas, yet 50% of the drivers in San Antonio are uninsured. And a good percentage of those don't have a driver's license either.

Yay "immigrants"!!
It is being enforced when they're stopped. Do you think a cop can look at a car and say "that one doesn't have valid insurance!" It requires running their registration plate or stopping the car for a different violation to figure out there's no insurance on the vehicle.

I love how people like you think. Blame it on "them" for not enforcing it.
10/18/2017 1:29pm
Motofinne wrote:

Sad.
It's rather hard to keep those comments out of any conversation, being that it is becoming a huge problem both in Europe and North America. Notice I didn't mention any specific countries, that is because at least here in North America, it's not just the US and Canada that has an immigrant problem, but Mexico as well.
10/18/2017 1:41pm
I guess they plan to enforce the laws in Europe as opposed to the way we do it here in the US. We have a mandatory...

Yay "immigrants"!!
agn5009 wrote:
It is being enforced when they're stopped. Do you think a cop can look at a car and say "that one doesn't have valid insurance!" It...
It is being enforced when they're stopped. Do you think a cop can look at a car and say "that one doesn't have valid insurance!" It requires running their registration plate or stopping the car for a different violation to figure out there's no insurance on the vehicle.

Do you not have ANPR or Automatic Number Plate Recognition over there?
The police over here can park up and the ANPR camera screams when a car with no insurance, mot or road tax also if it is reported stolen or wanted for any other reason.
10/18/2017 1:43pm
Motofinne wrote:

Sad.
It's rather hard to keep those comments out of any conversation, being that it is becoming a huge problem both in Europe and North America. Notice...
It's rather hard to keep those comments out of any conversation, being that it is becoming a huge problem both in Europe and North America. Notice I didn't mention any specific countries, that is because at least here in North America, it's not just the US and Canada that has an immigrant problem, but Mexico as well.
As long as there are borders and divisions there will always be immigrants. This has been going on for thousands of years and won't stop as long as "what they have over there is better than what we have over here." It's human nature to not settle with mediocrity or worse when better can be attained somewhere else.
10/18/2017 1:44pm

Yay "immigrants"!!
agn5009 wrote:
It is being enforced when they're stopped. Do you think a cop can look at a car and say "that one doesn't have valid insurance!" It...

"People like me" believe in the rule of law. Period. But since you don't know me, you wouldn't know that. But nice personal attack anyway.

It is NOT being enforced when they are stopped here in San Antonio. Maybe where you live but not here.

If it were being enforced we wouldn't have to pay ridiculous amounts for "Uninsured Motorist" coverage or fear hit and runs or hit and bail outs like we have daily. BTW, our police (which I whole-heartedly support) have optical scanners on their cars that read the tags and kick back to their computers whether the car is insured or stolen. Texas has an electronic system for that. But our politicians (City Manager, City Council, and Police Chief) don't have the balls to allow them to pull those drivers off the road and impound the car which is what the statues here call for. Won't even get into the drivers that are still driving after their 7th (no lie) DWI.

Carry on ...
philG
10/18/2017 2:00pm
It been talked about for ages, it comes and goes. Its another 'drama where there is none' story IMO..
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/18/2017 2:00pm
Do you not have ANPR or Automatic Number Plate Recognition over there? The police over here can park up and the ANPR camera screams when a...
The police over here can park up and the ANPR camera screams when a car with no insurance, mot or road tax also if it is reported stolen or wanted for any other reason.
As far as i know there is no insurance status linked to license plate numers here in the US. You must provide proof of insurance to an officer who may verify it or not, but only after being stopped for a different offense. In Ohio the state will occassionally send random requests for proof of insurance for vehicles with current registration.
APLMAN99
10/18/2017 2:33pm
They'll just have to "base" their racing efforts in Luxembourg, since it's the only country that specifically exempts vehicles that "don't require registration".......
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
10/18/2017 2:36pm
early wrote:
As far as i know there is no insurance status linked to license plate numers here in the US. You must provide proof of insurance to...
As far as i know there is no insurance status linked to license plate numers here in the US. You must provide proof of insurance to an officer who may verify it or not, but only after being stopped for a different offense. In Ohio the state will occassionally send random requests for proof of insurance for vehicles with current registration.
Lol...insurance regs are so lame here in Ohio that all they require to get a tag is your signature on a paper stating you either have insurance or the means to pay damages...Proof of Financial Responsibility they call it. I used to live in Florida and when you went to get your inital registration or renew it you had to provide proof of insurance...as in your insurance card...or you didn't get a sticker.
colepop
10/18/2017 3:27pm
In Georgia, your insurance is linked to your license plate. No need to have your card on you. When LE calls your tag in, they automatically know your status
ruy
10/18/2017 4:08pm
In Spain insurance is obligatory for vehicles that circulate on public roads, although they do not circulate, there is cheaper insurance for vehicles that are not used, and are in garages or parked on public roads. The authorities know computerically if any vehicle does not have insurance, but only act if they see it circulating on the public road or parked in it.
There are also insurance not obligatory for vehicles that are not suitable for driving on public roads, such as MX bikes, but almost not body has it, only usually have the accident insurance of the rider for to ride in the MX tracks.
10/18/2017 9:21pm
Do you not have ANPR or Automatic Number Plate Recognition over there? The police over here can park up and the ANPR camera screams when a...
early wrote:
As far as i know there is no insurance status linked to license plate numers here in the US. You must provide proof of insurance to...
Blimey, that sounds a bit old school, we even have cameras on the sides of roads that can be used to track vehicles via there license plates if necessary, good for finding stolen vehicles or tracking criminals ( as long as they are not sensible enough to change the plates)
The bad thing is we have enforcement cameras everywhere that issue automatic speeding fines and fines for other minor offences , which most people in the UK consider to be cash cows for local authorities.
smee113
10/19/2017 12:07pm
Motofinne wrote:

Sad.
It's rather hard to keep those comments out of any conversation, being that it is becoming a huge problem both in Europe and North America. Notice...
Seriousness of immigration issues are irrelevant to the topic, and the poster clearly meant it as a slight. There are plenty of forums that cover the subject, but it has no place here.
early
Fantasy
2139th
10/19/2017 12:23pm
Blimey, that sounds a bit old school, we even have cameras on the sides of roads that can be used to track vehicles via there license...
Blimey, that sounds a bit old school, we even have cameras on the sides of roads that can be used to track vehicles via there license plates if necessary, good for finding stolen vehicles or tracking criminals ( as long as they are not sensible enough to change the plates)
The bad thing is we have enforcement cameras everywhere that issue automatic speeding fines and fines for other minor offences , which most people in the UK consider to be cash cows for local authorities.
Yes, it is old school. There have been traffic cameras in place here but they have been met by public pushback on the grounds of the confrontaition clause of the 6th amendment.

The Confrontation Clause of the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that "in all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right…to be confronted with the witnesses against him." Generally, the right is to have a face-to-face confrontation with witnesses who are offering testimonial evidence against the accused in the form of cross-examination during a trial. The Fourteenth Amendment makes the right to confrontation applicable to the states and not just the federal government.[1] The right only applies to criminal prosecutions, not civil cases or other proceedings.-wikipedia
10/19/2017 12:31pm
Thanks, I find things like that interesting, I try to visit the USA at least once a year and love noticing some of the differences but it's good to understand why as well.
BobbyM
10/19/2017 1:24pm
Motofinne wrote:

Sad.
As long as there are borders and divisions there will always be immigrants. This has been going on for thousands of years and won't stop as...
As long as there are borders and divisions there will always be immigrants. This has been going on for thousands of years and won't stop as long as "what they have over there is better than what we have over here." It's human nature to not settle with mediocrity or worse when better can be attained somewhere else.
Most advanced nation's rely on immigrants to operate. If it wasn't for immigrants the USA would not exist as it does.
GangGreen
10/19/2017 5:00pm
early wrote:
Yes there is in Pennsylvania. I have been stopped for no other reason than the Officer said they had a "Notice of Cancellation", from an insurance company when he ran my plate. I had changed companies and had all the paperwork with me to verify. I honestly think local Police use it as a way to "FISH" for DUI, and if that is the case, that's bullcrap. They shouldn't be allowed to use technology to do that type of research.

Post a reply to: Threat to end motorsport in the EU

The Latest