Thomas Covington Thailand MX2 Winner

The Rock
Edited Date/Time 3/8/2014 5:43am
I was already impressed with this young man but after learning Johnny O'Mara is working with him in this Racer X website article I'm like "uh oh" regarding the competition's chances this weekend.

Regardless of this weekend's performance anyway you slice it not too shabby being on a PC bike and having Johnny O in your corner.....reminds me of this little red headed kid I met for the first time in 97.
|
Stefan82
3/5/2014 7:37pm
What happened in the first moto at Qatar, he looked like copying Decotis results from last year but in the second moto he did well.
shredder22
3/5/2014 7:43pm
Stefan82 wrote:
What happened in the first moto at Qatar, he looked like copying Decotis results from last year but in the second moto he did well.
I think I read somewhere he had bike problems. I have no idea WTF happened to Decotis last year. He's not a top guy here in the U.S. and I didn't expect him to go over there and beat Herlings or anything like that, but damn Decotis sucked last year.

The Shop

Stefan82
3/5/2014 8:36pm
The clutch was gone, just saw the interview on vurbmoto, too bad this is only preparation for the US outdoors, could've been a decent replacement for Zach Osborne in MX2.
The Rock
3/6/2014 6:49pm
When's the last time we've seen someone use the GPs for a National warm up? I like this kid already.
Sandberm
3/6/2014 8:47pm
O'mara sure talked him up. Said he was second coming of Dungey .
DanDunes818
3/6/2014 9:14pm
The Rock wrote:
When's the last time we've seen someone use the GPs for a National warm up? I like this kid already.
I agree!! I think it's a much better idea than starting a rook out in SX or even worse, having him bang bars with Tyler Bowers and company in AX. Too bad he DNF'ed moto one, though, 'cause I heard if he was in the hunt for an MX2 World Championship he may stay for the season. I'm a huge fan of all motocross and like watching MXGP, but it's a million times better when you have a Yankee to root for.
The Rock
3/6/2014 9:14pm
O Show was in RC's corner then later Dungey's corner now in Covington's corner.
jeffro503
3/6/2014 10:38pm
The Rock wrote:
I agree!! I think it's a much better idea than starting a rook out in SX or even worse, having him bang bars with Tyler Bowers...
I agree!! I think it's a much better idea than starting a rook out in SX or even worse, having him bang bars with Tyler Bowers and company in AX. Too bad he DNF'ed moto one, though, 'cause I heard if he was in the hunt for an MX2 World Championship he may stay for the season. I'm a huge fan of all motocross and like watching MXGP, but it's a million times better when you have a Yankee to root for.
I like your way of thinking Dan! And couldn't agree more. I really dig watching the GP's.....and it makes it really cool having someone there from our country racing them. Even more reason to pay attention to that series.
rangot
3/7/2014 1:37am
I agree!! I think it's a much better idea than starting a rook out in SX or even worse, having him bang bars with Tyler Bowers...
I really think it's great for the serie to have a good US rider, and he did a lot better than expected, but let's wait a bit before making him a championship contender. Quatar and Thailand are very different races than the Europeans ones. Let's see what he can do in Italy, and then we'll talk about his chances.
Sunhouse
3/7/2014 1:51am
rangot wrote:
I really think it's great for the serie to have a good US rider, and he did a lot better than expected, but let's wait a...
I really think it's great for the serie to have a good US rider, and he did a lot better than expected, but let's wait a bit before making him a championship contender. Quatar and Thailand are very different races than the Europeans ones. Let's see what he can do in Italy, and then we'll talk about his chances.
I agree. Don`t get me wrong, I would love it if a US rider was competitive in the GP`s to give it a better following across the pond.
But the Qatar and Thai GP`s are more like Freestone or Loretta`s than a typical GP track with elevation changes and/or deep ruts and slower speeds.

I wish him the best of luck though, I hope he can keep up his awesome results!
jo2910
3/7/2014 2:30am
Apparently he's only doing quatar Thailand and Brazil so we won't see him against on Classic European tracks.

Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt and does good in the nationals
3/7/2014 2:51am
jo2910 wrote:
Apparently he's only doing quatar Thailand and Brazil so we won't see him against on Classic European tracks. Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he doesn't...
Apparently he's only doing quatar Thailand and Brazil so we won't see him against on Classic European tracks.

Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt and does good in the nationals
He will be in Italy : he's doing the 1st four races of the season with team KRT.
PressPassP
3/7/2014 4:15am
The European circuits are usually where the US guys generally show their true GP level,I'm not knocking Thomas at all though ,far from it!

I'd love to see a few more guys in the series, Covington has got a seriously good set up to take on the series,I wonder if guys at the level of Bogle,Nelson etc might benefit with a year in the GPs,Osborne benefitted greatly and from a lower level,just a thought?
SRP33
3/7/2014 5:03am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 9:04am
The Rock wrote:
Rock
great idea I heard that youthstream is working on having more of this cross promotion going on. Makes a lot of sense. I have 2 rders that may fit into a program.
The Rock
3/7/2014 9:20am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 9:26am
rangot wrote:
I really think it's great for the serie to have a good US rider, and he did a lot better than expected, but let's wait a...
rangot us Yanks get excited when we have American blood across the pond so this accounts for DanDunes18 enthusiasm.

Personally all I was saying was in a brutal environment like the Thai GP my money is on a healthy Johnny O'Mara trained racer.

PressPassP-Osbourne said during the 2012 Matterley Basin GP MX 2 press conference he felt his GP experience made him better prepared to return to the US due to the diversity of tracks found on the GP circuit.

SRP33-I hadn't heard about the cross promotion deal but I hope that's true. I also hope it is true that 300cc two strokes will be legal in MXGP next year like someone posted here this week.
mccread
3/7/2014 9:24am Edited Date/Time 3/7/2014 9:26am
Covington rode fantastic in Qatar but there are ten plus guys his speed so it all comes down to the start.

He could be tenth or on the podium this weekend. It's that close. But his fitness and just being used to riding in humidity will definitely help him in Thailand.

I'll predict a top five overall. I have a lot of respect for him racing these few GPs, it's great way to prepare for the Nationals too and he has improved a lot of the winter. He has obviously been working hard.
The Rock
3/7/2014 9:35am
Is Herlings 100 percent for this weekend? I was under the impression he's still on the mend and this factored into my bold prediction but I will stand by it for this weekend even if he's 100 percent.
mccread
3/7/2014 10:08am
I think he is healthy he just hasn't had much bike time. He flew back to Holland this week to get some more riding in.
MotoDynasty
3/7/2014 10:44am
Place him in the number one spot in our FIM MXGP game play this weekend at MotoDynasty.com
It's free and it's fun! Challenge your friends or your favorite rivals on the VitalMX threads (:
CnCRacing
3/7/2014 11:06am
I read somewhere that his clutch lever broke on the parade lap. That was why he dnf'ed the first moto
3/8/2014 2:48am
jo2910 wrote:
Apparently he's only doing quatar Thailand and Brazil so we won't see him against on Classic European tracks. Sounds like a good kid. Hopefully he doesn't...

He will be in Italy : he's doing the 1st four races of the season with team KRT.
And maybe the whole championship, apparently...
Lamecake
3/8/2014 5:43am
Hope he can pull it together on race day, cause on qualifying he was 4-5seconds a lap slower than the top guys.

Post a reply to: Thomas Covington Thailand MX2 Winner

The Latest