Things to do in and around PA?

mx836
Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 7:26pm
A buddy and I are making the trip to Mt Morris this year all the way from WI. We plan on arriving early friday and leaving late Sunday. Any suggestions for things to do in and around PA with our couple of spare days? Preferably Pittsburgh since we will most likely stay there. I enjoy most things with wheels except for stock cars and have no interest in ball sports. Also, nature type stuff is usually worth checking out if anybody knows of some sweet caves or waterfalls, etc. Thank you.
|
ebers
Fantasy
250th
4/6/2016 10:16am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 10:33am
I'm an idiot and ignore me. Lol
MXisLIFE
4/6/2016 10:21am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 10:22am
No Sunday is amateur racing. About an hour south of Pittsburgh(40mins from highpoint) is Ohiopyle is a big white water rafting river/ town and there are hikes and trails all over it as well. Falling waters is around there to and a lot of other stuff. Falling waters isn't far from the river either. If you're not sure what that is google falling waters.
KMC440
4/6/2016 10:25am
Do you like road racing silver Honda Civic's?

If you east of Morgantown WV DO NOT go 10 over the speed limit....

... so I've been told. .. Whistling
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
4/6/2016 11:46am Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 11:48am
Drive up to the 'Burgh and enter the city limits after dark through the Fort Pitt tunnels playing Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" at maximum volume. Get dinner at any of the places at Station Square. Use "Y'uns" instead of "Yous", "Y'all", or "You guys" in your conversation with strangers Ride the incline up to the top of Mt. Washington. Stay up all night. Go to Oakland and get Breakfast at the "O"- a chili dog and fries. Get a tattoo at "In The Blood" on the Souside. Tell Justin "H" sent you. Go to the Museum of Natural History at Carnegie Mellon U. Back down to the strip district and eat at the original Primanti Bros., or get some fresh cooked seafood at Wholey's. Take a ride on the Gateway Clipper riverboat.

Take a nap in the parking lot of Eat'n'Park.

You're welcome.

The Shop

Rockstar
4/6/2016 1:48pm
If you end up staying in Morgantown, stay at the Waterfront Place. That place is awesome, lots of riders and team personnel stay there. There is also plenty of bars/eateries within walking distance.

You couldn't have picked a better race to attend, very good spectating track!!
4/6/2016 1:55pm
Rockstar wrote:
If you end up staying in Morgantown, stay at the Waterfront Place. That place is awesome, lots of riders and team personnel stay there. There is...
If you end up staying in Morgantown, stay at the Waterfront Place. That place is awesome, lots of riders and team personnel stay there. There is also plenty of bars/eateries within walking distance.

You couldn't have picked a better race to attend, very good spectating track!!
+1 on the Waterfront. I've been working for Racer Productions/MX Sports for around 6 years now, but only moved to Morgantown to work full-time about 2 years ago. Before that I stayed at the Waterfront a good bit. There's also a brand new La Quinta on the first exit you would come to after leaving High Point and heading south, and a brand new Holiday Inn just a few miles off the same exit.

Honestly, I'd stay in Morgantown over Pittsburgh. It's basically around an hour to Pittsburgh and only about 15 minutes to Morgantown. Plenty of places to stay, eat, and see in Morgantown.

As for "nature stuff" to check out, Coopers Rock just east of Morgantown is pretty cool but definitely not an all day affair to check out unless you roam around some of the various hiking trails. Downtown Morgantown is pretty cool to walk around and check out too.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to email me directly at bolton@gnccracing.com and I'd be glad to help out.
mx836
4/6/2016 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2016 2:23pm
Thanks for the tips guys!!! Keep them coming! In '13 we drove down to Tennessee for the first Muddy Creek National and just ended up driving my e46 BMW around the whole time looking for the twisty, steep, mountain roads that we usually only see on TV. We found a couple that were pretty badass, but hoping to have more of a plan for this trip.

I didn't even consider staying overnight in Morgantown at first, but we were wondering if RacerX gives tours. Can you confirm or deny this stupidnslow? I almost feel bad calling you by your screen name.

mx836
4/6/2016 2:17pm
KMC440 wrote:
Do you like road racing silver Honda Civic's? If you east of Morgantown WV [b]DO[/b] [b]NOT[/b] go 10 over the speed limit.... ... so I've been...
Do you like road racing silver Honda Civic's?

If you east of Morgantown WV DO NOT go 10 over the speed limit....

... so I've been told. .. Whistling
I like watching you race a silver Honda Civic Kevin!
When is the first race at Road America this year?
mxb2
4/6/2016 2:28pm
Go to WVU campus, you will thank me , real girls instead of vital pics.
mx836
4/6/2016 2:57pm
HAHA Good call. I'm only 30, single with no kids, so I still get to see hot women in real life every now and then, but we may have to check out WV's finest anyway.
4/6/2016 4:05pm
I don't know if you have a Cabela's store by you but there is one about an hour away, kind of close to Pittsburgh if you stay there. My group usually stops there every year on our way to High Point. You driving or flying?
mx836
4/7/2016 6:37am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2016 6:38am
We do have a Cabella's here in Green Bay. I've been in there just to fix their lift trucks. Pretty cool walking through, but I am not a fisherman or hunter so it doesnt appeal to me too much. The camping gear section is nice though!

We are driving! Love a good road trip. Never know what could happen.
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
738th
4/7/2016 7:04am
Find a sprint car race... preferably a 410 race. there are many dirt tracks around PA. You won't be disappointed
diesellands
4/7/2016 8:09am
If you're into mountain biking, big bear WV is fun. Coopers rock is kind of -meh. If you make it up to Pittsburgh... Frick Park, North Park, and Roaring Run (Apollo) have the best riding.
Pittsburgh Has a ton of good resturants to try. Kayaking on the rivers, Segway tours, probably a free concert somewhere on at least one of the nights your staying. 7 springs always has events & mild downhill mtb. There's a bunch of other tracks in the area (high voltage, switchback, creek side, pvr).

It looks like most of what I can think of is MTB. Probably because if I'm not doing that I'm on the boat or stand up jet skis. I don't think anyone rents them, but you Minght have some luck closer to the city itself. I'm a little north of the burgh
mxb2
4/7/2016 9:08am
Really depends on your budget,time you have to do stuff. Do stuff that you dont have in your hometown. Like. I said. Wvu campus area, haha, cabelas? Smh.
mx836
4/7/2016 9:34am
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Definitely looking to do things that we aren't able to around home. Downhill mtb would be awesome if they rented bikes! My old Gary Fisher 29'er wouldn't last long.

I will take the info you guys have given and do some research so we can have a plan! All good suggestions.
hillbilly
4/7/2016 9:50am
I was watching the tv reality show " amish mafia". They had to go save a couple of young calves from a few guys.

Couldn't believe what i was seeing,lol. They were like it happens all the time.

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
4/7/2016 5:48pm
Are ya city folk or are ya country? If you are a city person then the suggestions for Pittsburgh are excellent. But you are honestly doing yourself a disservice if you don't stay in Morgantown West "By God" Virginia. I would suggest water front only because they have a shuttle. I would suggest the Ramada that is just about 2 miles away from waterfront because they are inexpensive, fair and have a good bar and good free breakfast. Water Front breakfasts is about $15.00. Ohio Pyle was a good suggestion, only about 45 minutes from the Ramada and they have some fun/ safe raft trips if you have never white water rafted. Its a lot of fun. But for real, RacerX is based there. As a matter of fact the office is across the parking lot from the Ramada. I would have to think there would be much industry stuff going on there. RacerX usually has some kind of rider meet and greet somewhere in Morgantown Friday night. High Street is the strip with all the college bars. WVU has been the #1 party school in the nation numerous times. It still bumps when school is out. Most people in Morgantown of all ages like to drink and socialize. Just about any bar is a great bar and there are SEVERAL. They have a good titty bar but it is no major feat to get your swerve on in Morgantown. It is also very easy to get to drunk to care anymore. I would try and get there Thursday night and make a day of it on Friday and hit the industry party Friday night.
The track is about 15 minutes away from Ramada. Try to get in line at the Mt.Morris turn off no later than 9 or 9:30 or the 4 mile drive will turn into a 12 o'clock arrival.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
4/7/2016 5:50pm
P.S. Morgantown changes their official name to Mototown during High Point Weekend. Stay in Morgantown. Pittsburgh people will have no idea what you are talking about if you say you are going to some Motorcycle race. You want the race experience, stay in Mototown.
mx836
4/7/2016 7:12pm
Perfect guys! That's what I needed to hear! Not exactly country folk, but I live in Wisconsin so our city folk are mostly country folk. They sure as hell knew we were out-of-towners in Johnsonville, TN!
blusmbl
4/7/2016 7:26pm
Hman144 wrote:
Drive up to the 'Burgh and enter the city limits after dark through the Fort Pitt tunnels playing Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" at maximum...
Drive up to the 'Burgh and enter the city limits after dark through the Fort Pitt tunnels playing Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" at maximum volume. Get dinner at any of the places at Station Square. Use "Y'uns" instead of "Yous", "Y'all", or "You guys" in your conversation with strangers Ride the incline up to the top of Mt. Washington. Stay up all night. Go to Oakland and get Breakfast at the "O"- a chili dog and fries. Get a tattoo at "In The Blood" on the Souside. Tell Justin "H" sent you. Go to the Museum of Natural History at Carnegie Mellon U. Back down to the strip district and eat at the original Primanti Bros., or get some fresh cooked seafood at Wholey's. Take a ride on the Gateway Clipper riverboat.

Take a nap in the parking lot of Eat'n'Park.

You're welcome.
I'd throw in beers at Fatheads and late night pizza at Fiori's.

Post a reply to: Things to do in and around PA?

The Latest