The truth about the cr250.

sickboy3636
Edited Date/Time 6/1/2017 11:17am
So I've never posted here......just trolled around through SX and MX season. But I did wanna post a quick write up on my personal cr250 experience, cause I wish I could have heard some more informed opinions before buying when I did. Years ago against every bit of advice I got, I purchased an 03 cr250. Obviously everyone raves about the chassis.....but we all know the endless bashing the case reed motor received. No expense was spared....factory connection suspension, excels with talons....motor wise, pwk airstriker, pro circuit pipe, boyesen rad valve, an fmf turbine core silencer and a 49 tooth on the rear was the set up I settled on.
I went through a handful of different combos including fmf fattys, shorty silencer, v force reeds. But the set up I settled on made the bike an animal. It has enough low to pull it onto the pipe, but the mid to top end is a thing of beauty. I've ran down many 450's with that 03.

Now with that said, I always repped the case reed motors.....however I felt there was a possibility I was just bias because me and that bike have been through hell and back. Well just recently I bit the bullet an also bought a pristine 2001. I do realize people claim the 2000 was the peak for that motor, but as far as I know the carb was the only difference. Maybe some other slight port adjustments. But after spending time on the 01, I must say, the 03 dialed in is a much more fun bike, and a much more capable bike. Not just suspension wise, but motor wise. The 2001 does some things very well.....it pulls off the bottom almost like a juiced up 450.....but when the smokers start screaming, my case/reed 03 will eat its lunch. Ya you gotta ride the 03 a little more like a maniac, on the pipe and screaming......but anyone who bashes on that version of the cr250 has either not ridden a dialed in case/reed CR......*ps junk the stock carb day 1.....or is just poodle and can't ring out a 250

Anyway, a long rant for a first post.....but I've read so much conflicting info regarding these versions of the CR250 that I wanted to chime in after owning both.
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
5/29/2017 10:09pm
I've had multiple CR250s. 98/2000/02/07

The 98 motor was awesome. But the chassis was too rigid.

The 2000 motor was electric smooth, no real hit. But that chassis was so good. At one point I had the 98 motor in the 2000 chassis and it was the best CR250 that I had.

The 2002-2007 case reed motor is fast if you ride it like a 125. My 07 CR250 has a great chassis and suspension and is really stable, and is super fast, but it takes a lot more effort to keep it were it needs to be when racing 450s. it's a fun bike.
5/29/2017 11:28pm
Sounds like you're super pumped on your CR...
Take my advice if you don't want to ruin your life- don't ride an 06-08 RM250!
Those CRs will be on Craigslist before you can say Holeshot!
ledger
5/30/2017 12:20am
Love my 06 CR2fitty, sent the cylinder and head to rehab and she's been clean for over three year's now, chunked the old carb for a Keihin and settled on a PC works pipe and 304 factory sound. Next move will be a 9oz. FWW.

The Shop

sickboy3636
5/30/2017 12:22am
I've had multiple CR250s. 98/2000/02/07 The 98 motor was awesome. But the chassis was too rigid. The 2000 motor was electric smooth, no real hit. But...
I've had multiple CR250s. 98/2000/02/07

The 98 motor was awesome. But the chassis was too rigid.

The 2000 motor was electric smooth, no real hit. But that chassis was so good. At one point I had the 98 motor in the 2000 chassis and it was the best CR250 that I had.

The 2002-2007 case reed motor is fast if you ride it like a 125. My 07 CR250 has a great chassis and suspension and is really stable, and is super fast, but it takes a lot more effort to keep it were it needs to be when racing 450s. it's a fun bike.
A couple things to try, if you haven't already. The pro circuit expansion chamber seems to bring more low end to life without murdering the over rev like the gnarly does. Also the Boyesen rad valve over the V force for moderating that hit. And hands down n PWK airstriker carb and I think you may feel much different about the 07. I agree its more temperamental to get dialed....but once its dialed I haven't touched the needle or jets in years. The key is bringing the low end to life in that bike without sacrificing the straight nasty hit and over rev.
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 12:25am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2017 12:28am
ledger wrote:
Love my 06 CR2fitty, sent the cylinder and head to rehab and she's been clean for over three year's now, chunked the old carb for a...
Love my 06 CR2fitty, sent the cylinder and head to rehab and she's been clean for over three year's now, chunked the old carb for a Keihin and settled on a PC works pipe and 304 factory sound. Next move will be a 9oz. FWW.
I haven't tried the FWW weight yet, but getting older and more brittle, and opting for the woods over doubles these days......that may be my next mod. Plus when freshening up the top end last week I found a nice little crack at the top of the exhaust bridge, so motor work is on the way anyway. Was considering some big bore kits......but I think the 400cc cylinder Eric Gorr was working on fell apart. I was really hoping that project for the case reed motors would pan out.
5/30/2017 12:35am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2017 1:35am

2002 Cr250. Best bike I've ever owned. In stock form the engine left a little to be desired, but the handling and even stock suspension was amazing.
Cool fact Steve Lamson's Dad did the porting and polishing of the engine and it felt like the power was doubled across the powerband. Miss that bike.

sickboy3636
5/30/2017 12:38am
Sounds like you're super pumped on your CR... Take my advice if you don't want to ruin your life- don't ride an 06-08 RM250! Those CRs...
Lol.....you know funny you say that, cause thats the exact bike I bought right before the CR. Never been a Zuke fan but I had heard good things so I gave it a shot. In the bikes defense it was clapped and had seen a couple hard seasons before I got it. But after melting the motor down just a couple months in, I threw the towel in on it. I just never really fell in love. Of course I felt deep betrayal in my heart for turning away from the red machines. Theres just something about Hondas build quality I greatly appreciate as a mechanic and a rider. Although I will admit, the first and only new bike I ever bought was a 2012 crf450 off the showroom floor because I loved my 07 so much I gave them the benefit of the doubt. That bike would have been better off chained off the back of a boat as an anchor. 09-12 was the sketchiest chassis Ive ever ridden and that turned me away from Red for the first time. But I still got a soft spot for a twin spar CR.....a true thing of beauty.
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 12:46am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/30/198170/s1200_FB_IMG_1496129184352.jpg[/img] 2002 Cr250. Best bike I've ever owned. In stock form the engine left a little to be desired, but the handling and even stock suspension...

2002 Cr250. Best bike I've ever owned. In stock form the engine left a little to be desired, but the handling and even stock suspension was amazing.
Cool fact Steve Lamson's Dad did the porting and polishing of the engine and it felt like the power was doubled across the powerband. Miss that bike.

Thats a nice clean 02.

Heres the 03.....this ones goin to the grave with me.
Lastander
5/30/2017 1:25am

Same here, best bike i have ever owned, vforce 3, a PC pipe and just a bit of porting and polishing the top end.
The only time this -06 is going to leave my hands is if i have a son in the futureTongue
5/30/2017 1:33am
Never rode a cr250, had a cr125 'back in the day' that thing couldn't pull the skin off a custard even after a LOT of engine work.
5/30/2017 1:34am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/30/198170/s1200_FB_IMG_1496129184352.jpg[/img] 2002 Cr250. Best bike I've ever owned. In stock form the engine left a little to be desired, but the handling and even stock suspension...

Thats a nice clean 02. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/30/198171/s1200_IMG_0260.jpg[/img] Heres the 03.....this ones goin to the grave with me.
Thats a nice clean 02.

Sweet bike! I kick myself in the ass everytime I remember selling it.
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 1:44am

Thats a nice clean 02. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/30/198171/s1200_IMG_0260.jpg[/img] Heres the 03.....this ones goin to the grave with me.
Thats a nice clean 02.

Thanks bro. Its not quite as pretty anymore, few more bumps and bruises. She's due for a fresh restore. Well damnit.......lets find you one so you can stop kicking yourself in the ass.....#CL.....
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 1:46am
Never rode a cr250, had a cr125 'back in the day' that thing couldn't pull the skin off a custard even after a LOT of engine...
Never rode a cr250, had a cr125 'back in the day' that thing couldn't pull the skin off a custard even after a LOT of engine work.
Come hop on a modded up CR250.......you'll be peeling off your underwear.
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 1:48am
Lastander wrote:
, [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/05/30/198172/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Same here, best bike i have ever owned, vforce 3, a PC pipe and just a bit of porting and polishing the top end...

Same here, best bike i have ever owned, vforce 3, a PC pipe and just a bit of porting and polishing the top end.
The only time this -06 is going to leave my hands is if i have a son in the futureTongue
That things almost too clean..
5/30/2017 2:01am
Thats a nice clean 02.

Thanks bro. Its not quite as pretty anymore, few more bumps and bruises. She's due for a fresh restore. Well damnit.......lets find you one so you...
Thanks bro. Its not quite as pretty anymore, few more bumps and bruises. She's due for a fresh restore. Well damnit.......lets find you one so you can stop kicking yourself in the ass.....#CL.....
Was just thinking that and my buddy has a very little used original owner 03 Cr250 that hasn't been ridden in years. And he just had a baby...it's prime for the picking.
JWACK
5/30/2017 4:25am

00 Built engine vs 06 built engine, the 00 wins. This bike is the best of both..

doghouse
5/30/2017 6:36am
So I've never posted here......just trolled around through SX and MX season. But I did wanna post a quick write up on my personal cr250 experience...
So I've never posted here......just trolled around through SX and MX season. But I did wanna post a quick write up on my personal cr250 experience, cause I wish I could have heard some more informed opinions before buying when I did. Years ago against every bit of advice I got, I purchased an 03 cr250. Obviously everyone raves about the chassis.....but we all know the endless bashing the case reed motor received. No expense was spared....factory connection suspension, excels with talons....motor wise, pwk airstriker, pro circuit pipe, boyesen rad valve, an fmf turbine core silencer and a 49 tooth on the rear was the set up I settled on.
I went through a handful of different combos including fmf fattys, shorty silencer, v force reeds. But the set up I settled on made the bike an animal. It has enough low to pull it onto the pipe, but the mid to top end is a thing of beauty. I've ran down many 450's with that 03.

Now with that said, I always repped the case reed motors.....however I felt there was a possibility I was just bias because me and that bike have been through hell and back. Well just recently I bit the bullet an also bought a pristine 2001. I do realize people claim the 2000 was the peak for that motor, but as far as I know the carb was the only difference. Maybe some other slight port adjustments. But after spending time on the 01, I must say, the 03 dialed in is a much more fun bike, and a much more capable bike. Not just suspension wise, but motor wise. The 2001 does some things very well.....it pulls off the bottom almost like a juiced up 450.....but when the smokers start screaming, my case/reed 03 will eat its lunch. Ya you gotta ride the 03 a little more like a maniac, on the pipe and screaming......but anyone who bashes on that version of the cr250 has either not ridden a dialed in case/reed CR......*ps junk the stock carb day 1.....or is just poodle and can't ring out a 250

Anyway, a long rant for a first post.....but I've read so much conflicting info regarding these versions of the CR250 that I wanted to chime in after owning both.
You're preaching to the choir man. I've ridden about any 250 you can think of, and my opinion is still that the '03 CR250 is the single greatest two stroke motocrosser of all time.
agn5009
5/30/2017 6:41am
Sounds like you're super pumped on your CR... Take my advice if you don't want to ruin your life- don't ride an 06-08 RM250! Those CRs...
Ha, this was my exact thought! Also, don't ride any new KTM or Husky 250/300. You'll regret dumping so much money into a CR.
Lastander
5/30/2017 6:46am
agn5009 wrote:
Ha, this was my exact thought! Also, don't ride any new KTM or Husky 250/300. You'll regret dumping so much money into a CR.
I wouldnt be so sure, my buddy has a cr125 -06, and he wanted a 250T also, so he bought a -16 husky 250 last year brand new, rode it for barely 2 hours then sold it for like a grand less haha.
I didn't ride it but man he hated its guts
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 8:06am
agn5009 wrote:
For sure.......I'll ride one.....and then regret the last 10 years of racing I got outta my bike. Gosh if I saved all that money I dumped into it 10 years ago, I coulda waited till 2017 when KTM and Husky had a dialed in 250. PS....don't test drive a new car.....you're gonna regret all that money you spent fixing up your first car in high school.

And I have spent time on the KTM....and the Husky is very much the same bike. I would venture to guess you or I couldn't ride a 2000 yz125 to its absolute full potential....therefore buying a new bike cause everyone says its better is about as smart as the guy that buys new based on an MX shootout. To each his own, or there wouldn't be 20 different bike choice brands out there. I've had many many good years on my 03 Honda and to this day I still think its one of the best handling chassis's ever built and one of the funnest smoker motors to ride.
sickboy3636
5/30/2017 8:17am
So I've never posted here......just trolled around through SX and MX season. But I did wanna post a quick write up on my personal cr250 experience...

doghouse wrote:
You're preaching to the choir man. I've ridden about any 250 you can think of, and my opinion is still that the '03 CR250 is the...
You're preaching to the choir man. I've ridden about any 250 you can think of, and my opinion is still that the '03 CR250 is the single greatest two stroke motocrosser of all time.
I really have to agree.....its a bike that takes time to mesh with. But there something about the 03 that just makes it a fun complete package when you get it dialed. Its def a motor that likes to be wound up......but outta every mx bike I've owned......the 03 is here for good. Nice to hear some others perspectives on it.
JW381
5/30/2017 8:23am
Love my 04, never plan on selling.
mx_563
5/30/2017 8:26am
From the OP, it sounds to me like the case reed is way better....so long as you "dial it in" ($) and ride it aggressively.

Translation: if you're on a tight budget and appreciate smooth power, then case reed is not the answer.

Is that about right?

sickboy3636
5/30/2017 8:42am
mx_563 wrote:
From the OP, it sounds to me like the case reed is way better....so long as you "dial it in" ($) and ride it aggressively. Translation...
From the OP, it sounds to me like the case reed is way better....so long as you "dial it in" ($) and ride it aggressively.

Translation: if you're on a tight budget and appreciate smooth power, then case reed is not the answer.

Is that about right?

Lol...well not exactly what I was trying to convey. Carb is the number one fix. Jetting these with the stock set up will have you pulling your hair out. The stock pipe is actually very good for all around power. I have a bit more done to mine. But swap the carb, jump up a tooth on the rear.....and with that alone the case reed is an awesome motor. Most people that have trouble dialing it are trying to set up the stock carb. The 02+ are also far superior in handling, the 01 turns like a tank compared to the newer chassis.
I was merely pointing out all that I had done to make it a very fast and rowdy bike. But I think you can get to where you wanna be pretty cheap.
As far as riding it aggressive, it loves to scream, but has awesome torque off the bottom. But I've raced plenty of tight endure cross stuff as well. With the mentioned mods and possibly a flywheel weight.....its really an unbeatable bike esp for the price. But again....everyone has their own opinion.
5/30/2017 8:42am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2017 8:43am
First post on Vital after lurkin for long enough.. this topic is close to my heart.

I'm on my second 02-07 CR250. This one is an 03 and with basically all of the bolt-on goodies you're going to want. As others have said, the chassis is amazing - it feels like an extension to my body.

Recently, I've hit a bit of a crossroad with it.. I intended holding on to this bike forever - but the motor is starting to get to me. I'm a big boy at 6'4 230lbs - there are times where I really miss the power of a 450, one blip and the wheels over anything. I don't ever intend on going back to a 450, I've been riding 2-strokes my entire life, but I'm at the point with the CR250 that it either needs to have the motor sent out to Eric Gorr, or the search for a KTM 300 XC-W begins.

I don't really want to give up on it, its really just the motor at this stage that's lacking bottom end.

sickboy3636
5/30/2017 8:52am
I'm a big guy as well....6'4" 240. I was a little slimmer when I was racing regularly. Shocked But what are you running mod wise? gearing? And I'm down in Dallas actually, Eric does awesome work. And you can bump it to a 280. That plus a little compression work and a port polish and I think you'd have a very well versed motor. Eric is a straight up guy. Give him your expectations and he'll be realistic with you. But again, shoot the set up you're running on your bike over?
5/30/2017 10:22am
Glad I'm not the only big guy trying to get these CR's to work! haha.

Maybe it's not every bolt on possible, but I think it's the big ones... Suspension, Vforce 3 Reeds, AirStriker, Stock expansion (which I've read is one of the better expansions to go with - not sure if that's true) with a Procircuit 304 silencer.

I'm in the woods a lot, which is why I moved away from the 450 and back to the lighter - more nimble feeling CR, I don't regret it at all but there are times where I really miss the low end.

I would like to get to the end of the season with the current set up - the motor could use a freshening up (not from lack of performance, but for preventive maintenance purposes). Compression holds steady at 160 so I've held off, if I'm going to freshen it up, it would be during this period I'd send to Eric.
Lastander
5/30/2017 10:37am
Does the carb actually do that much of a difference or cant you guys just set up the stock carb right?Laughing
My 250 pulls like a beast, i dont think there is anything wrong with the stock if you can get it set up right

Post a reply to: The truth about the cr250.

The Latest