The new Dungey?

LappedU
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2014 9:48pm
Did we see a new Dungey last night, or was it a one time thing? did Roger get in his head?
|
hartebreak
Fantasy
247th
1/19/2014 1:47pm
As aggressive as Dungey was last night it was obvious something had an effect on him. Either Roger giving him the beef or just all the talk, but there was a gigantic difference. He made/attempted more tough passes last night than the last 3 years combined. He needs to have the confidence that he is faster than everyone else and let them know that when he catches up to them they need to let him by or he will force his way thru. Before last night, people were comfortable riding with him right behind them because they knew he wouldn't force it. Last night no doubt planted a seed. Even RV probably is thinking about it now. Not saying he is worried, but an aggressive Dungey is just something else he is going to have to deal with.
plowboy
1/19/2014 1:48pm
I like what Ricky said...nothing wrong with being aggressive trying to quailify or get on the box but it's not a substitute for calculating and setting up clean passes in the middle of a race. At least that is my interpretation of what he said.
LappedU
1/19/2014 1:53pm
Would be cool to see if this was just what he needs to be consistently winning, maybe he's pulling the trigger on his whole career and we will see Dungey dominance for years to come.
Sully22
1/19/2014 2:02pm
He took about 7-8 years of passive riding out on tickle, hill, and Villopoto last night...

The Shop

machine
1/19/2014 2:20pm
I'm glad he got more aggressive, but he looked a little silly doing it last night, like he was trying too hard to be something he isn't..lol
1/19/2014 2:22pm
I do not know how it will affect the overall championship results, but here is 1 story;
DeCoster challenged Yves Demaria in 1994, when they created a big HRC team loaded by Pepsi. After 2 really bad races in the sand, DeCoster said that Demaria was not serious enough in his training. I am even wondering if Decoster attended the rest of the season ! Demaria was so mad at it, particularly being from Marseille, that he changed a few things, including to go back to a more stock CR version, and he proved Decoster wrong by winning something like 9 GPs that season (incl. the US GP), coming back from something like a top 15 in the championship to 3rd.

In the "how was your week end", I felt Dungey was more laughing about this crazy week end. There has been a "declic". A crazier Dungey will do some damage for sure.
LappedU
1/19/2014 2:23pm
machine wrote:
I'm glad he got more aggressive, but he looked a little silly doing it last night, like he was trying too hard to be something he...
I'm glad he got more aggressive, but he looked a little silly doing it last night, like he was trying too hard to be something he isn't..lol
Right! like Roger pushed him to far and he said ok you want to see aggressive I'll show you aggressive!
1/19/2014 2:29pm
I liked seeing it. The one on RV at the end might have been overboard. You could see RV look back like, WTF?
64 hardtop
1/19/2014 2:31pm
LappedU wrote:
Did we see a new Dungey last night, or was it a one time thing? did Roger get in his head?
The only thing is his head is how is this German kicking my ass.

Did any notice the look back after the finish RV gave him. RV was looking at him like what the F?
machine
1/19/2014 2:32pm
I liked seeing it. The one on RV at the end might have been overboard. You could see RV look back like, WTF?
I saw that too...Laughing ...
bd
1/19/2014 2:34pm
LappedU wrote:
64 hardtop wrote:
The only thing is his head is how is this German kicking my ass. Did any notice the look back after the finish RV gave him...
The only thing is his head is how is this German kicking my ass.

Did any notice the look back after the finish RV gave him. RV was looking at him like what the F?
Yes, RV never shows a wheel. RV got lazy in the berm and RD5 went for the kill. I do not think a multi champ has a rookie in his head. Dungey was on the gas until he crashed in whoops.
ATKpilot99
1/19/2014 2:34pm
Stay the course. His speed along with a new intimidation factor can only help.
LappedU
1/19/2014 2:41pm
Well if he finds a good balance of aggressive and consistency he might be unstoppable.
JRMX59
1/19/2014 7:30pm
I dunno, to me it looked liker Villo went into that corner, hit too hard or something and popped up out of the line and Dungey was right there. The suspension unloads and you stand it up, I do it all th time. (Cuz I suck.)
JRMX59
1/19/2014 7:32pm
And yeah, I liked seeing that too!!!!
1/19/2014 9:42pm
He got rough in a couple races early last year with Reed and Weimer, and I remember thinking Now we're talking. He's finally starting. But then more of the same.

Then when he took out Tickle yesterday I thought, OK, but that's just Tickle. Let's see you pick on S.Y.O.S.

Cut to the last lap of the main...

I think Dungey might be getting serious enough now to continue his current behavior. This is his new rep now, anyway, so he might as well use it.Cool
bents
Fantasy
909th
1/19/2014 9:48pm
Fuck me boys he is trying to win. Let him have at it.
Cancerman
1/19/2014 9:50pm
In his interview with Weege, Chad Reed said The Dunge was on it, and if he had not dropped it, nobody would have gotten a glimpse of Dunge because he was gone. Or something to that effect. I don't think he was that agressive, just going in hard instead of checking up. He seemed motivated.
64 hardtop
1/19/2014 10:08pm
Cancerman wrote:
In his interview with Weege, Chad Reed said The Dunge was on it, and if he had not dropped it, nobody would have gotten a glimpse...
In his interview with Weege, Chad Reed said The Dunge was on it, and if he had not dropped it, nobody would have gotten a glimpse of Dunge because he was gone. Or something to that effect. I don't think he was that agressive, just going in hard instead of checking up. He seemed motivated.
Chad just said that to be nice. He was gonna catch dungey no matter what. RD don't have the sack to fight Reed one on one.
Corey_Tallent
1/20/2014 10:42am
Cancerman wrote:
In his interview with Weege, Chad Reed said The Dunge was on it, and if he had not dropped it, nobody would have gotten a glimpse...
64 hardtop wrote:
Chad just said that to be nice. He was gonna catch dungey no matter what. RD don't have the sack to fight Reed one on one.
geez.... Huh
1/20/2014 10:49am
Cancerman wrote:
64 hardtop wrote:
And on Friday Dungey didn't have the sack to make an aggressive pass on someone.
Brent
1/20/2014 11:01am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2014 11:02am
Is it a coincidence that DeCoster's good friend Bob Hannah was in the house the very same night Dungey gets an attitude? Maybe Hannah had the " I tried to break his leg" chat with Dungey?

Discuss...
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
1/20/2014 11:18am
If you guys watched the CBS special yesterday you would've seen part of the change. I think what we are seeing is a culmination of many things finally clicking.

First of all he said that the last 3 years have been fine but it's been since 2010 now since he won the championship. You get a sense that he is feeling a bit of urgency now where nothing will be good this year except the #1 plate.

Second you have all of the comments from last year about him not being aggressive enough and not pushing hard enough early in the race. We saw some early previews of the effect during the outdoors where he was definitely pushing harder, especially if Villo was in front trying to pull away. Anyone remember Budds Creek where he crashed his brains out and still finished second from how much of a gap they had on 2rd place? The old old Dungey would've taken a second instead of crashing, especially that early in the season.

Third you have those embers still burning from those 2 seasons where he effectively lost the championship due to mechanical failures.

Last, now he has a trainer that seems to be unlocking all of that building anger and funneling it into fire during the race. There was one segment where his trainer asks him what he thinks he has left in the tank for another session on the Concept 2 rower and Dungey responds "maybe a 1:40" (meaning 1:40 split I think). His trainer got right his ass for using the word maybe, because maybe is a defensive mechanism for when you are not confident you can do it. This is the kind of metal training Villo has been receiving under AB now for 3+ years.

All in all, my opinion is that the biggest difference this year is Dungey truly believes he can beat Villo, where the last couple of years that just wasn't the case. Quite frankly, I love it. I don't think he went overboard on any of those pass attempts, especially the one on Villo. You're talking about a guy who has, on multiple occasions, lost a championship by a handful of points, and usually to the #2 Kawi. You're telling me that after years of going through that much pain and coming up that close that he shouldn't try absolutely anything and everything he can within the legal limits to finish ahead of Villo?

This thread is classic Vitardness at it's best. Years and years of complaining about Dungey not being aggressive enough and as soon as he shows signs of aggression everyone is like, woah, hang on a minute, just don't be aggressive against my favorite rider. This is motocross isn't it?
joeellis
1/20/2014 11:58am
The depth of competition today is greater than at any time in the past imo. You can't compare generations. You can only assume how Hannah, McGrath, Carmichael, etc. would do today. While each of these past champions would adapt and still do very well probably, they may not win as often now because of the depth. No one knows.

Because there are so many guys now that are capable of winning, it has caused everyone that wants to win to be more aggressive. Dungey has done very well the past few years because for the most part he has ridden within his comfort zone imo. Unfortunately, because of this and the fact he has finished second (to a great RV) everyone is heaping loads of criticism on him. You read it here and you hear it in the words of his manager.

The point I'm trying to make is, in order to contend for wins and championships, everyone has to exceed their comfort zone, which means crashes and potential injury (serious injury at times). Dungey rarely crashed (compared to many other contenders) and because of this and his ability and speed was almost always near the front. If a person has the mentality that nothing other than a win is acceptable, then it more than likely is easier for that person to push beyond their limits.

I believe Dungey wants to win nearly as much as anyone, but within reason. He doesn't seem to like dirty riding that can potentially harm him and other riders. You can see it in the way he was racing and the comments he made after races when a rider took him out. I don't belive being this aggressive is instinctive to him as it is with others.

For whatever reason(s), he is becoming more aggressive and that is probably what led to his crash in the whoops. There are 22 guys fighting it out each week for a chance to become champion. One guy will take that prize each year. That certainly doesn't mean the 21 others suck.

Much of this BS that is overdiscussed in regards to sports personalities is just rediculous.
IWreckALot
1/20/2014 11:59am
TriRacer27 wrote:
If you guys watched the CBS special yesterday you would've seen part of the change. I think what we are seeing is a culmination of many...
If you guys watched the CBS special yesterday you would've seen part of the change. I think what we are seeing is a culmination of many things finally clicking.

First of all he said that the last 3 years have been fine but it's been since 2010 now since he won the championship. You get a sense that he is feeling a bit of urgency now where nothing will be good this year except the #1 plate.

Second you have all of the comments from last year about him not being aggressive enough and not pushing hard enough early in the race. We saw some early previews of the effect during the outdoors where he was definitely pushing harder, especially if Villo was in front trying to pull away. Anyone remember Budds Creek where he crashed his brains out and still finished second from how much of a gap they had on 2rd place? The old old Dungey would've taken a second instead of crashing, especially that early in the season.

Third you have those embers still burning from those 2 seasons where he effectively lost the championship due to mechanical failures.

Last, now he has a trainer that seems to be unlocking all of that building anger and funneling it into fire during the race. There was one segment where his trainer asks him what he thinks he has left in the tank for another session on the Concept 2 rower and Dungey responds "maybe a 1:40" (meaning 1:40 split I think). His trainer got right his ass for using the word maybe, because maybe is a defensive mechanism for when you are not confident you can do it. This is the kind of metal training Villo has been receiving under AB now for 3+ years.

All in all, my opinion is that the biggest difference this year is Dungey truly believes he can beat Villo, where the last couple of years that just wasn't the case. Quite frankly, I love it. I don't think he went overboard on any of those pass attempts, especially the one on Villo. You're talking about a guy who has, on multiple occasions, lost a championship by a handful of points, and usually to the #2 Kawi. You're telling me that after years of going through that much pain and coming up that close that he shouldn't try absolutely anything and everything he can within the legal limits to finish ahead of Villo?

This thread is classic Vitardness at it's best. Years and years of complaining about Dungey not being aggressive enough and as soon as he shows signs of aggression everyone is like, woah, hang on a minute, just don't be aggressive against my favorite rider. This is motocross isn't it?
I sure hope it's all of those things coming together. I'd love to see a more aggressive Dungey on a regular basis. I'm glad he hired a trainer. I don't know much about his program before or after but it seems to be the one thing he had been reluctant to try. No matter what, I'll be a Dungey fan regardless of how is career turns out.
IWreckALot
1/20/2014 12:03pm
Passive Dungey - Average finish 2.5
Angy Dungey - Average finish 6
Stats like this are severly flawed and only appeal to uneducated people.

We've seen Dungey race "angry" or aggressive once or twice, and we've seen his consistent racing probably 100x or more. . .

He picked up two passes this week when he passed aggressively and it bit him on a third aggressive pass but didn't cost him any positions or points.
HenryA
1/20/2014 12:44pm
Did anyone see the look that Villopto gave Dungey right after they crossed the finish line? Hahaha, man, if looks could kill. Anyhow, i thought that Dungey looked great out there. Nice to see that he could get the job done and ride outside his comfort zone for once. So yeah, I would really like to see more of this "New Dungey".
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
1/20/2014 12:47pm
He better watch out and make sure he doesn't make any enemy's out there. Could be some payback.

Post a reply to: The new Dungey?

The Latest