The Warehouse Idea

I've heard about people riding inside a converted warehouse in places it snows?

Why doesn't Los Angeles have something like this?
It seems in the year 2016 Vital would have enough professional rich guys that could overcome the bullshit about motorcycles in California.
Bullshit=Insurance,location,permits,ventilation,lawsuits.

I would pay 2500/5000 a year for a membership to ride at night indoors, LOCALLY. I understand it won't be cheap, but 250 members paying $2500.00 each generates 600k for start up.....

What would you really pay?

Let's hear why it can and why it can't happen in Los Angeles.

|
6/28/2016 9:25am
I live in ohio where we have a few indoor tracks, it's fun at first but after about two times riding there it gets boring nothing like an outdoor track.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
6/28/2016 9:30am
I've heard about people riding inside a converted warehouse in places it snows? Why doesn't Los Angeles have something like this? It seems in the year...

It seems in the year 2016 Vital would have enough professional rich guys that could overcome the bullshit about motorcycles in California.

I would pay 2500/5000 a year for a membership to ride at night indoors, LOCALLY. I understand it won't be cheap, but 250 members paying $2500.00 each generates 600k for start up.....

As much as I would love a place here near LA to ride inside at night, I have to agree with Ryan here. People would ride it a handful of times then complain that it's too small and not worth it anymore.

As for me though, I would love to have a place that I could go ride after work during the week. Somewhere that gives my family a place to watch that isn't in the sun and 105 degree weather.
6/28/2016 9:53am
The indoor tracks I used to race in Ohio were built in large pole barns. They were really fun in the 80 class and less so once I moved up to 125's. Couldn't imagine how tight and easy it would be on a 450. It wouldn't be as much fun.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
6/28/2016 10:02am
I think its because we try to artificially recreate an outdoor track experience indoors (wide lanes, multiple lines, big jumps, etc). Instead it would work better if it followed the model set by indoor mountain bike tracks (or indoor rock climbing, etc). Those don't try to replicate the experience, but rather try to create something that allows you to practice key skills necessary for when you do get to go do the real thing outdoors. It's not a replacement for the real thing, so don't try to make it so.

I would love being a member to a "gym" that had an MX skills track (various whoop sections, rhythm sections, etc, along with a bmx pump track, and maybe even a traditional gym. I would be there every day during the week.

The Shop

pete24
6/28/2016 10:06am
Mototown in CT was a great place to ride, but they always had money problems, that is just my opinion, but every time we went they had some other money saving thing going on, it unfortunetly colapsed from heavy snow and was never rebuilt, on winter i put 17 hrs on my bike there, they had 2 hour sessions, that yu paid i believe 40 for two hrs, and they only sold maybe 50 tickets, you can get a lot of ridding in in two hrs if you dont spend time bs ing with your buddies between rides
p0wn
6/28/2016 10:17am
In the portland area we have OT5 arenacross at the clark county fairgrounds. They put an arenacross style track inside a horse stable thing used for fairs and what not. It's a ton of fun. Alyas Wardius changes the the tracks each week so it's varied. The track is only open for 6-8 weeks though during winter, probably due to restrictions by the fairgrounds since they are renting the barn thing.
Homey55
6/28/2016 10:23am
I've heard about people riding inside a converted warehouse in places it snows? Why doesn't Los Angeles have something like this? It seems in the year...

There was a plan to turn the blimp hangers, in Tustin, into an indoor track at one time. I'm not sure what is going on there now.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/28/2016 10:29am
Forget Los Angeles. Phoenix, AZ is the place to build that.
WVUpetro2013
6/28/2016 10:46am
So it sounds like a problem is overpowered bikes in too tight of facilities? What if a facility opened up that had say 15 ktm e-bikes(altas or whatever brand). And with a membership you just rode their bikes? You could set it up similar to pole position where you are timed, could set fast laps etc. Every couple months change the track up, and occasionally add some technical sections like log crossing or whatever. I would join that.
hvaughn88
6/28/2016 11:06am
So it sounds like a problem is overpowered bikes in too tight of facilities? What if a facility opened up that had say 15 ktm e-bikes(altas...
So it sounds like a problem is overpowered bikes in too tight of facilities? What if a facility opened up that had say 15 ktm e-bikes(altas or whatever brand). And with a membership you just rode their bikes? You could set it up similar to pole position where you are timed, could set fast laps etc. Every couple months change the track up, and occasionally add some technical sections like log crossing or whatever. I would join that.
Now that sounds like something that could be fun as hell. It kind of reminds of what the golf world is doing with Top Golf. Top Golf isn't trying to replicate actual golf (obviously), but It's an awesome idea anyways.
wardy
6/28/2016 11:17am
some people want to ride in the winter. around here we are hoping that some do. so far we have good reviews and we only barely got opened up this spring. We have a long way to go, and there will be some that have attitude towards "inside riding" which is all a personal preference.

Once we get it closer to being done, I am sure the riders will appreciate the ability to ride inside durring the winter and look at it as a positive fun thing to do. www.megatraxs.com

Our first test night Chase Sexton was on hand and the fastest lap he mustered was a 52.5 and we have a third of a track yet to build! so anytime you can get a minute lap time inside, i say is a good thing?

EEE299
6/28/2016 11:23am
wardy wrote:
some people want to ride in the winter. around here we are hoping that some do. so far we have good reviews and we only barely...
some people want to ride in the winter. around here we are hoping that some do. so far we have good reviews and we only barely got opened up this spring. We have a long way to go, and there will be some that have attitude towards "inside riding" which is all a personal preference.

Once we get it closer to being done, I am sure the riders will appreciate the ability to ride inside durring the winter and look at it as a positive fun thing to do. www.megatraxs.com

Our first test night Chase Sexton was on hand and the fastest lap he mustered was a 52.5 and we have a third of a track yet to build! so anytime you can get a minute lap time inside, i say is a good thing?

Looks sweet I would love to have something like this close to me!
6/28/2016 11:26am
So it sounds like a problem is overpowered bikes in too tight of facilities? What if a facility opened up that had say 15 ktm e-bikes(altas...
hvaughn88 wrote:
Now that sounds like something that could be fun as hell. It kind of reminds of what the golf world is doing with Top Golf. Top...
Now that sounds like something that could be fun as hell. It kind of reminds of what the golf world is doing with Top Golf. Top Golf isn't trying to replicate actual golf (obviously), but It's an awesome idea anyways.
That would be great in the winter, it would probably help grow the sport too because people could just try it out for a day and hopefully get hooked
Moto520
6/28/2016 11:33am
The Megatrax track is really well laid out and perfect for some winter riding in Illinois/ Wisconsin/ Iowa. Beggers can't be choosers when it comes to the layout on an indoor track and the jumps can't really be all that big. Great for working on technique and just having fun.
ti473
6/28/2016 12:10pm

Because it doesn't snow in LA
KBOLTZ
6/28/2016 1:32pm
LA is just too dam expensive. Most homes in LA range from 400,000-1,000,000 and beyond. My family just sold our 3rd generation home near Venice Beach for 1.2mil and that is average. Imagine how much a huge warehouse would be?? Crazy money that would never be returned to an investor. I for one would definitely visit a facility like that on weekdays to get some seat time in but I would not invest the millions it would take to make it happen.
6/28/2016 6:12pm
It doesn't snow in LA.

It's too expensive in LA.

You wouldn't get 250 people paying $2500 and if you did, you couldn't afford to do anything with it.

Building it inside doesn't get you away from any of the "bullshit". All of those things still apply.
Mr. Info
6/28/2016 7:01pm
How great would a 2 story site that was maybe an old IKEA store with running outside and using the escalator area to go up to the second floor and a drop off to the outside to get back to floor 1.
hvaughn88
6/28/2016 7:57pm
Slightly off topic, but has anyone ever been to Ray's mountain bike park? I've been saying "I need to go this year" for about the last decade and still haven't made the trip.
KTM831
6/28/2016 8:35pm
Rays is OK. I live about 20 minutes from there and I can't seem to make it very often.

We used to have Sandbox on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border and Waterbox(?) in Illinois. We now have Racine Indoor Motocross but I have been out of the scene for a few years and not sure if it is still there. The problem with indoor tracks on the winter is that the ground freezes. Most of these facilities don't keep the place heated enough to keep the dirt in good enough condition.

I had a 2007 KTM450sxf with the 4 speed. I wouldn't get out of first gear on the indoor tracks. If I put a large rear sprocket I could get into second on a track like Sandbox. It was fun for awhile but got old.

I know there were other problems with the indoor tracks. Peoples throttles would stick or other problems and in a building if you over shot something there was a wall. Huge liability. Hats off for the people who make these tracks!
Mm471
6/28/2016 9:16pm
Ya Cedar lake arena is sweet only problem with these is ventilation with keeping the climate control in
6/28/2016 10:03pm
I actually seriously looked into this last year with 2 friends. We were all going to invest in it. But no matter how we looked at it the money just wasn't their. We were quoted around $100,000 a year for insurance to protect us if anyone got hurt and tried to sue. And decent warehouse that could suit a decent track and with enough parking out would cost $10,000+ a month. Then theirs electricity, water, paying employees, marketing, start up costs, ect. I just don't see it happening any time soon.
sumdood
Fantasy
1267th
6/28/2016 11:22pm
Good friend of mine spent 2 years and thousands of dollars trying to open up an indoor track (in an empty warehouse, near Anaheim stadium) The thought was guys could ride after work or at lunch and not have to drive 50-75 miles out of the city, plus after work, after dark. Forget about that ever happening in Ca. I can go into the details if you like but it will take 10 pages. I give you a semi short list of obstacles he encountered and actually got around.. First off, he had a detailed business plan and the initial ok from the city. All he had to do was handle a few things like...

Noise study, traffic study, parking study, signatures of approval from every residence within a certain radius (5K plus homes, ALL of wich had to sign yes I want this, or am ok with it, ALL of them, not most, all), air quality study, he needed ventilation reports, exhaust studies to determine what air filters(scrubbers I think they called them ?) and how many he would need. A way to wash the bikes and especially tires, you push your bike to your truck, it drops some dirt in the parking lot, that dirt gets tracked into the street, can't have that happening. He couldn't build a "track" so he was going to call it a "gym", (a gym where you ride your motorcycle to workout) Runoff problems from watering the track, The idea of making it where you rent electric bikes was kicked around to avoid the mud in the street and noise concerns. Safety was also a big concern , here were a few safety related ideas. All jumps would be table tops, more than likely arched up to make sure there were no unsafe spots to land (except for over jumping obviously) The jumps would have a distance sign so you knew how for each jump was. One idea was a SX triple training jump. Same distance as a sx triple (I think it was 66' ?) and a launch ramp that mimicked the takeoff of a stadium triple, only instead of a gap the dirt would be piled high and shaped in an arch 4 or 5 feet lower than the trajectory needed to clear it. That way a rider could feel what it's like to clear a sx triple but never be more than 4 or 5 feet high and have zero chance of coming up short. Red lights all around the track in addition to flaggers if a rider went down, 2 towers over looking the track with spotters to turn the lights on, one guy goes down, everyone stops. Emt's, liability insurance, release of liability forms. All those things plus a bajillion others were included in his business plan. $ amount needed to break even, number of employee's needed to run it, advertising plans, ways to deal with spilt gas in the event of a crash, he spent close to 3 years working out every single last detail. Got the green light from the city (somehow) But the cost of the studies required along with all the other start up costs made it unfeasible, not to mention getting 5'000 (maybe it 3500 I forget) old people to sign the ok. One old lady or man say's no and too bad, you're out. One douchebag decides to start his bike or ride it in the parking lot and draws acomplaint could shut you down. He had examples of other indoor track from other parts of the country as (working operating models? or some legal terminology) included in the plan. In the end it's too much money time and effort involved to be in a position where one knucklehead or grouchy neighbor could shut the whole thing down. Told yo I could go on and on about it hahaha. if anyone has an almost unlimited supply of money and time and wants to try, pm me. I'm sure he'd be willing to let you pick his brain on the subject. He gave it a valiant effort but opened up a sport bike shop instead...
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
6/29/2016 12:15am
We tried. It would be a good way to blow through a million bucks if you could get through the Epa red tape.

Just because it's inside doesn't mean that you can do what you want. CO2 scrubbers for ventilation systems, a building that is over 120,000 sqft (3 acres). You can't fit enough riders on it to break even because in SoCal there are 10 other tracks within an hour and a half drive.

Post a reply to: The Warehouse Idea

The Latest