The Truth - Last Southwick National

Law 131
Edited Date/Time 7/2/2013 11:13pm
Why is this the last National at Southwick?

Let me start off by saying that I’m not buying the “love” being spread
around by MX Sports. Having observed a methodical, slow, reshaping of the entire National promotion apparatus, I was very suspicious when I heard that MX 338 “couldn’t come to an agreement with the land owner”

BULL SHIT !!

It didn’t take long to find out that, in fact, MX Sports was demanding that a large investment be made in the facility to keep the National. (Source 22 WWLP.com)

Let’s face it, as much as we love the place, MX 338 is a crap venue to hold a National.
Stay with me now, I’m speaking as a business man that must maximize profit.

As a purist, I’m pissed that this place is being squeezed out. It is a slap in the face of our history and the men that built this sport. Corporations now enjoy the profit.

What really rankles me is the politically correct crap coming from MX Sports. We expect
pasty-faced politicians telling us they are leaving “ to spend more time with the family”
bull shit.

To MX Sports, don’t you dare forget that its the hard driving blue collar blood,
sweat and tears that built the foundation of this sport.

You can spread this bull crap around for the white shirts. Purists and life long supporters want the facts.

Give it to us straight You might be surprised that we can understand, respect and support a change for pure profit reasons.
|
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
6/29/2013 5:32pm
"Welcome to our world" ~ Glen Helen National Supporters
500guy
6/29/2013 5:33pm
Nowhere in There did it say anything except the track operators and the Club couldn't come to terms.

The facility needs work, What should people do just sit back and let it be the same ?
Outsider
6/29/2013 5:36pm
Sometimes you work really hard to improve something, only to figure out later it was better left alone.
4-ERA
6/29/2013 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 6:10pm
Southwick died years ago when they started smoothing it out between every moto.

You wanna see the toughest of the toughest moto racers ever, watch some video of the old 2-stroke nationals held there.

Or, better yet, watch some local races where the track isn't touched after dozens of motos. The whoops and moguls are 3 feet deep, and the riders can barely hold on to the bars.

That is what made Southwick legendary. The "powers that be" lost sight of that years ago.

Sad.

The Shop

Law 131
6/29/2013 5:43pm
500guy,

I'll do the research for you one time.

From the source, "Pittello told 22News the track need a big financial investment to keep it on the national level, but was willing to do it."

Who do you think makes demands regarding investment on the track? The landowners? The fans? The promoter?

The answer is that MX Sports can, and will, make demands that cannot be met in order to steer a National away from
its current location.

I'll say this again, I'm not opposed to change in order for the sanctioning body to improve profit.

I (and I believe others) don't want to be BS'd about the real reason for eliminating a track that we love.
pete24
6/29/2013 5:50pm
four strokes dug the hole, gay ass timed qualifying pushed the body in , and DC covered it up, RIP real mx, these guys love money
500guy
6/29/2013 5:56pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy, I'll do the research for you one time. From the source, "Pittello told 22News the track need a big financial investment to keep it on...
500guy,

From the source, "Pittello told 22News the track need a big financial investment to keep it on the national level, but was willing to do it."

Who do you think makes demands regarding investment on the track? The landowners? The fans? The promoter?

The answer is that MX Sports can, and will, make demands that cannot be met in order to steer a National away from
its current location.

I'll say this again, I'm not opposed to change in order for the sanctioning body to improve profit.

I (and I believe others) don't want to be BS'd about the real reason for eliminating a track that we love.
All the tracks were asked to make improvements and given plenty of time.

I want to know what the issue is between the operators and the Legion post ?
DownSouth
6/29/2013 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 6:00pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy, I'll do the research for you one time. From the source, "Pittello told 22News the track need a big financial investment to keep it on...
500guy,

its current location.

The promoter says they are willing to make the improvements. So what is the issue?

Maybe business dealings between the landowner and promoter on how to go about improvements or perhaps sharing costs? Any money the promoter spends improving the facility could be lost if the landowner decides to boot them out. Maybe they want to share the burden but the land owner does not want to play ball. It would be bad business to spend money on the property and then lose your lease. IMO there is more to this than MX Sports trying to "steer a National away from its current location" as you stated.

Plus the Legion says they want to keep the track running and keep the national if they find another promoter.
newmann
6/29/2013 6:04pm
Three decades of 125 National history was flushed down the shitter and no one seemed to care. Why should four decades of Southwick matter?
gnarwhip
6/29/2013 6:08pm
OW38B wrote:
"Welcome to our world" ~ Glen Helen National Supporters
Maybe now people will listen to GH
Law 131
6/29/2013 6:09pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy,

its current location.

500guy wrote:
All the tracks were asked to make improvements and given plenty of time. I want to know what the issue is between the operators and the...
All the tracks were asked to make improvements and given plenty of time.

I want to know what the issue is between the operators and the Legion post ?
500guy,

Very well.

I'm suggesting that we not allow this "love fest" ( including a nice trophy presented publicly by MX Sports) by
the sanctioning body to throw us off the trail.

The other "red herring" is the issue between the land owner and the promoter.

I'll submit that all problems begin and end with MX Sports.

MX Sports is the entity that can impose impossible requirements that can (and did) destabilize the long term relationship
between Pittello and the Legion.

I'm surprised that you don't find MX Sports culpable in this fiasco.

Let's also point a finger at the MX media. Why is it that I have to spend time stirring this up to get to the truth?

Where are the MX journalists who should be digging around under this?

I'll answer my own question. We have never had journalists. We've had an amen choir that is beholden in some way to the factories, the big magazines, the sanctioning body or some other cash cow.
pete24
6/29/2013 6:12pm
newmann wrote:
Three decades of 125 National history was flushed down the shitter and no one seemed to care. Why should four decades of Southwick matter?
ur godam rite Newmann, when i lined up to try and qualify for southwick on my rm 125, i didnt think Ezra lusks bike had 15 more horse than mine i knew it was the rider, i was just a sucky rider, but now you build a 7000 dollar race motor that lasts two friggin nationals and needs a 2500 dollar rebuild, and you dont make it in cuz it aint racing its friggin nascar timed qualifying, the best day ever was Doug Henry and Steve Lampson absolutey killing southwick on factory honda 125s...............u tube that
Law 131
6/29/2013 6:17pm
My purpose here is simple.

I want to put the finger on the chicken shit job that the purveyors of information are producing for the mx purists, casual fans
and potential fans.

Where the hell is real information?

I expect, in fact I demand, real investigative information when a historic venue like Southwick is being shut down!
maxc811
6/29/2013 6:21pm
law 131 for riders union president....you put into words what we all feel...
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
6/29/2013 6:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 6:23pm
Here:

Wolfman
6/29/2013 6:24pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy, Very well. I'm suggesting that we not allow this "love fest" ( including a nice trophy presented publicly by MX Sports) by the sanctioning body...
500guy,

Very well.

I'm suggesting that we not allow this "love fest" ( including a nice trophy presented publicly by MX Sports) by

MX Sports is the entity that can impose impossible requirements that can (and did) destabilize the long term relationship

Let's also point a finger at the MX media. Why is it that I have to spend time stirring this up to get to the truth?

I'll answer my own question. We have never had journalists. We've had an amen choir that is beholden in some way to the factories, the big magazines, the sanctioning body or some other cash cow.
About the last sentence: Boom!
It's the same reason the "kick ass 2 strokes" thread hasn't made hof yet. It doesn't fit the agenda.

Kinda like having to listen to Emig pump Kawis nads (with RC chiming in when he is in the both with "our factory 125's never would have cleared that. These 4 stroke 250's make it easily." Nobody gives a fuck, other than the companies that are afraid that if their bikes aren't faster every year, no one will buy them.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/29/2013 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 6:28pm
So the track is being asked to make improvements for the next contract period and doesn't want to pay for that?

If so, at least they are being honest about their unwillingness, unlike the GH people back through the AMA days in the early 2000's
newmann
6/29/2013 6:28pm
Wolfman wrote:
About the last sentence: Boom! It's the same reason the "kick ass 2 strokes" thread hasn't made hof yet. It doesn't fit the agenda. Kinda like...
About the last sentence: Boom!
It's the same reason the "kick ass 2 strokes" thread hasn't made hof yet. It doesn't fit the agenda.

Kinda like having to listen to Emig pump Kawis nads (with RC chiming in when he is in the both with "our factory 125's never would have cleared that. These 4 stroke 250's make it easily." Nobody gives a fuck, other than the companies that are afraid that if their bikes aren't faster every year, no one will buy them.
If the kick ass 2 stroke thread had been dumped into the HOF, it wouldn't be that much of a kick ass 2 stroke thread anymore. Threads there don't continue to thrive. Let it roll a little more.
Wolfman
6/29/2013 6:35pm
newmann wrote:
If the kick ass 2 stroke thread had been dumped into the HOF, it wouldn't be that much of a kick ass 2 stroke thread anymore...
If the kick ass 2 stroke thread had been dumped into the HOF, it wouldn't be that much of a kick ass 2 stroke thread anymore. Threads there don't continue to thrive. Let it roll a little more.
It's just an observation. :-) And u are correct sir.
motogrady
6/29/2013 6:35pm
Fallout from the AMA selling off the racing divisions.
When it happened, well, even before it happened,
the guy that runs youthstream, TFS, Roger DeCoster and quite a few on this board
did nothing but run around telling anyone that would listen the AMA series was crap.
That the GPs were everything, big banners,
vip shit everywhere, TV, great looking tracks blah blah blah.
I think Decoster referred to Budds like being a trip to the garbage dump.
And the guy from the AMA, Dingman, did nothing but nod his head.

So, now we have what a lot of people wanted.
Or said they did.
MXSPORTS doesn't toe the line like the AMA and DMG want's, its hassle time for Coombs and company.
So the tracks that don't keep up, get canned.
It's that simple.
They're getting what they asked for.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/29/2013 6:47pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy, Very well. I'm suggesting that we not allow this "love fest" ( including a nice trophy presented publicly by MX Sports) by the sanctioning body...
500guy,

Very well.

What are the "impossible requirements?" You must know if you know they are impossible.
KMC440
6/29/2013 6:47pm
I expect Hangtown to be next, where it's held is a pit... literally.
Law 131
6/29/2013 6:48pm
Let's keep it real.

Most of us now that the sport of Pro MX will be steered by profit and/or the potential for profit. That's the way it MUST be.

I'm suggesting, to the sanctioning body, that we be told the truth. Or, better yet, the MX journalists dig up the real truth.

That said, I could very well be that the execs have decided that we, as a group, can't handle the truth. That we might
mutiny if the full plan were laid out before us. Instead, we are fed one small piece of bull shit at a time until, several years later, we've consumed a truck load of bull shit!
Law 131
6/29/2013 6:51pm
Law 131 wrote:
500guy,

Very well.

What are the "impossible requirements?" You must know if you know they are impossible.
FTE,

"The proof is in the pudding"

The requirements must have been "impossible".

The result is that the Promoter and the Legion have tapped out ( a little UFC lingo for you).

What more "proof" of impossibility do you require?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
6/29/2013 6:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 6:57pm
So, you don't know. You've got an article that says the current promoter is willing to do the improvements, and the legion saying they're willing to do the improvements if they can contract with another promoter. Both are losing the race, and neither iblaming MXSports or attributing anything to the improvements. They certainly have very reason to if that's what's driving this and they're out because if it,
jathey
6/29/2013 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2013 7:02pm
newmann wrote:
pete24 wrote:
ur godam rite Newmann, when i lined up to try and qualify for southwick on my rm 125, i didnt think Ezra lusks bike had 15...
ur godam rite Newmann, when i lined up to try and qualify for southwick on my rm 125, i didnt think Ezra lusks bike had 15 more horse than mine i knew it was the rider, i was just a sucky rider, but now you build a 7000 dollar race motor that lasts two friggin nationals and needs a 2500 dollar rebuild, and you dont make it in cuz it aint racing its friggin nascar timed qualifying, the best day ever was Doug Henry and Steve Lampson absolutey killing southwick on factory honda 125s...............u tube that
One of my favorite moments was watching Scott Carter put it to the visiting 250cc World Champion, Fred Bolley, in his qualifier in 2001. Fred got by, but Scott had him covered until the very last few turns. NESC guys would haul ass at Southwick and often hand it to the big names and it was always something I looked forward to. Such a unique and cool National.

Not a big fan of the timed qualifying.
Law 131
6/29/2013 7:04pm
Upon further reflection, if my company was owned by a big time promoter like the France's and I'd
been given the marching orders to take MX from a marginal sport of purists, to a NASCAR style TV
producing money machine, I'd do it much the same way that MX Sports is doing it.

One tiny bit of pain ( or shit) every day. Before long, purist's won't recognize the sport.

I'll say this, it will get to the point where they will take it to the place where many of us will say screw it.
You've left us.

We'll take our money, support and time and put it into another upstart sport that is pure and unpolluted by the white shirts.

And then, the process will begin again.
Trav138
6/29/2013 7:08pm
pete24 wrote:
four strokes dug the hole, gay ass timed qualifying pushed the body in , and DC covered it up, RIP real mx, these guys love money
Spot on pete, timed qualifying absolutely sucks. The morning races kicked ass, everything geared toward tv and the money now.

Post a reply to: The Truth - Last Southwick National

The Latest